Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
MackJ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 522
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/29 11:13:27 (permalink)

All The Good Holes Are Taken

I often reacted as my title suggests when I first started fishing the tribs.  I would be frustrated that I couldn't catch steelhead because all the good holes were surrounded by the time I got on stream.  From talking and fishing with more experienced anglers and verifying their helpful info from experience, I have come to learn that the faster water usually has as many fish as the slow, deep pools.  In fact, I am becoming more convinced that the trout holding in the eddies and troughs of the faster water section tend to be more actively feeding and also are less discriminating in looking over and artificial presentation. 

I was out with a less experienced angler and he was surprised at where we had most of our success, saying he would never have thought to fish there.  Once the fish were spotted and pointed out to him by a more experienced angler, he was able to see them and catch them.  I thought I would pass this on as it is very easy to look for fish in the deepest pools and when these are taken by earlier anglers, to get frustrated on the water.

59 Replies Related Threads

DaFuNK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1992
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 11:23:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MackJ

I often reacted as my title suggests when I first started fishing the tribs.  I would be frustrated that I couldn't catch steelhead because all the good holes were surrounded by the time I got on stream.  From talking and fishing with more experienced anglers and verifying their helpful info from experience, I have come to learn that the faster water usually has as many fish as the slow, deep pools.  In fact, I am becoming more convinced that the trout holding in the eddies and troughs of the faster water section tend to be more actively feeding and also are less discriminating in looking over and artificial presentation. 

I was out with a less experienced angler and he was surprised at where we had most of our success, saying he would never have thought to fish there.  Once the fish were spotted and pointed out to him by a more experienced angler, he was able to see them and catch them.  I thought I would pass this on as it is very easy to look for fish in the deepest pools and when these are taken by earlier anglers, to get frustrated on the water.

amazingly.. the fish will take hook in fast water just the same as slow.  you would think they would be more concerned with trying to swim in the fast current and keep balance rather than hitting a fly, egg or lure.  but my experience shows that it doesnt really matter.  i have caught many fish in fast moving water...

but you definately need to adjust your technique to make sure your presentation is accurate

in fact.. the largest fish I ever caught on Walnut Creek (was not a steelhead either ) was caught right at the base of a small waterfall where the water was nothing but white bubbles.. she actually hit it once but i didnt set the hook.. very next cast right in the crash of the waterfall i cast again and she was hooked...

MackJ
    Expert Angler
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 11:27:18 (permalink)
    As well, after some experience, you learn to recognize those slack areas where trout rest within the fast currents and are often on the lookout for drifting food.  This isn't always obvious from surface currents, but might be a depression in the bottom contour.  A good pair of polarized sunglasses will sometimes reveal the presence of these fish.  The polaroids are probably as good an investment as anything and they need not be expensive.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 11:29:17 (permalink)

The fish are also alot easier to snag and line in shallower fast water, as I'm sure you and your friend found out.

DaFuNK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1992
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 11:32:28 (permalink)
    definately.. the glasses help..

but looking, noticing and spotting are more keen with experience.. kind of like deer spotting.  usually even with the glasses some people look but cannot see.. you learn to recognize the movements and the shadows more over time and with experience.

the behavior of these fish is very 'predictable' and 'programmatic' to some degree...

the more you learn these natural behaviors, you will begin to notice that they are almost robotic in what they do sometimes...
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 11:32:29 (permalink)
    I know. They usually get married right out of college.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 11:39:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-nymph

The fish are also alot easier to snag and line in shallower fast water, as I'm sure you and your friend found out.

This is also true, but an angler (or "one") can minimize this possibility by keeping the weight close to the bait or fly and directing the bait to the near side of the fish, rather than casting beyond it.  In any case, this is no reason to crowd next to D-Nymph in Manchester or Legion Hole.  Just find the likely hold in fast water and enjoy catching or snagging as you please.
    post edited by MackJ - 2009/09/29 11:43:29
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 11:48:32 (permalink)
    In any case, this is no reason to crowd next to D-Nymph in Manchester or Legion Hole. 

I've never fished either place, would one recommend I try one?
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 11:51:18 (permalink)
    I recommend, beside the grammar training, the confessional.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 11:55:13 (permalink)
    try the ear
    STEELYS MANFISH
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 682
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 12:07:19 (permalink)
    How does an angler know if the fish is lined? Many people have commented on this topic in past threads but what is the proof that this is actually happening? If I start my drift above an area I suspect to be holding fish and hook-up then did I line the fish?

If I fish the chutes at Walnut would I be lining the fish?
    post edited by STEELYS MANFISH - 2009/09/29 12:12:07
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 12:12:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: STEELYS MANFISH

How does an angler know if the fish is lined? Many people have commented on this topic in past threads but what is the proof that this is actually happening? If I start my drift above an area I suspect to be holding fish and hook-up then did I line the fish?

Hookk penetrating the mouth from the outside of the jaw inward, as oppposed to the inside of the jaw outward.  When this happens, the "line" has run through the fish's mouth, lodging the hook on the outside of the mouth, the fish has not eaten the fly or bait or jig.  It's unavoidable sometimes, but some anglers, are experts at doing it intentionally.  When done intentionally, it's a less visually obvious form of frustrated anglers snagging.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3352
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 12:15:33 (permalink)
    Justin,

Alot takes place in the skinny water. If you are fishing fast water that you "think" might hold a fish or 2 not much you can do.

Crappy
    STEELYS MANFISH
    Expert Angler
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 12:19:21 (permalink)
    Thanks D-nymph. Now I understand. Will have to pay attention the next time Im out to see if it happens to me. If it is then how would I correct my presentation or should I just move along?
    STEELYS MANFISH
    Expert Angler
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 12:23:18 (permalink)
    Thanks Chris this is good info for me. I probably have been guilty but clueless of this happening.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 12:26:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anadromous

Sometimes a fish may take the top fly and eat it...then as you set the hook it may well pull that fly out at the same time lodging the bottom fly in the outside of the mouth. Moffet has made a living with this notion and I don't think I oppose it.

True, that happens alot, if using tandem rigs.

You know it happens, because you'll feel the "tug", then the rod tip will pop free, then the fish will be on.  Once you land it, it's usually hooked in the pectoral fin or side of the face.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 12:30:43 (permalink)
    Lining fish intentionally is illegal and unethical.  I have seen people doing it, especially in the faster water.  I even had a conversation with a person who told me that was how he learned to fish.  When I explained he had been taught an illegal technique he was rather upset with me for spoiling his fun.  I tried to show him the right way to present a fly, but he was not having any of it and walked away in a huff and from what I could tell continued snagging fish.  Given there is little or no enforcement of the laws on the streams, especially the upper parts of the creeks, I bet there are quite a few who line fish on a regular basis.  Some are doing it because they don't know any better and others are doing because they know it works and would rather snag fish than try to catch them legally.

pax vobiscum +
    Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 12:58:42 (permalink)
    Also, the fish in the faster water tend to be more aggressive, while fish in pools tend to be in a state of rest...especially during the peak of a run. My personal favorite spot is right at the tail of a pool, to intercept the fresh fish moving up out of the current and ready to smack something. Also usually not as crowded there as it is at the head or center of a pool where everyone tends to congregate. You are basically positioning yourself to intercept and have first dibs at the fish that are moving up, and while  the guys further up may have the advantage of a better drift (sometimes but not always) I'll take more aggressive, less pressured fish over that any time.
    rapman
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 13:03:43 (permalink)
    keep this thread going, i am learning alot.  and thanks.

formerly rapala11
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 13:11:05 (permalink)
    Moving fish are more likely to hit a fly.  Absolutely.  As mentioned watch for the fish on the move, they are the ones to target. 

If the water is cloudy and high, fish the seams between the fast water and the slower eddies.  Keep your leader as vertical as possible and in the seam for as long as possible.  Fish around natural barriers like rocks, longs, etc... where the faster meets the slower water.  This can be a good place to find a hungry steelie.

Another good place is fast water that cuts under a bank.  Swing a bugger in there few times.  You may be surprised at what you pull out.

As for seeing steelies in faster and broken water, don't look for a whole fish.  Look for dark horizontal lines that seem to go in and out of focus.  If you do that, eventually you will see a tail or a fin or a head.  These fish can be very hard to see.  Just because you don't see them, that does not mean they are not there.  A good pair of polarized glasses are a huge help.

pax vobiscum +
    rapman
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 13:16:52 (permalink)
    bug, remember the two steelhead you pointed out to me last year?  came out from under a flat rock that sat at an angle.    i would never have guessed that they would be there.  as a rook, i would have passed that area up completely.

formerly rapala11
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 13:57:03 (permalink)
    Good Point Rapman.  They can slide up under a rock and disappear completely. 

pax vobiscum +
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 14:04:20 (permalink)
    I found a 28" Brownie in 20 mile like that.
    He was hiding under a chunk of cement and every once in a while his tail would flick out passed the edge.
    Many anglers had walked right by not even knowing they were passing up fish..
    Didn't take but 2 casts and game on.  

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 14:41:30 (permalink)
    So to keep from "Lining" a fish, you should try to keep the weight closer to the fly, or use weighted flies?  When fishing tandems, how far do you guys typically set them apart?  Like a couple of nymphs for example.

I noticed last year in the spring, the only time I have ever done very good fishing in Erie, that the fish seemed to like glo-bugs fished only about 6-10 inches apart.  I deducted(possibly incorrectly) that they thought a hen was dropping eggs and it triggered something in their half starved brains?  It could also have also just been very hungry after a long winter in the tribs with not much more then yarn to eat.

I borderline hate fishing nymphs, and that is basically what trib fishing is about.  I would definately rather be part of a nice sulfer hatch then a guessing game nymph-fest.  I know how much more productive they are supposed to  be then dries, and not just in Erie.  If I fish anywhere but Erie, I rarely use a real Strike indicator, instead going for a large high floating terrestial, or with nothing at all.  I think this is called high sticking, or dumb-luck fishing.  I have about a half hard time casting with a strike indicator.  I read somewhere to shorten the leader in the case of fishing under a strike indicator, is that a fact?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 14:47:21 (permalink)
    Shorter leads ( fly-shot ), and proper mending, and/or indicator adustment keeping your drift verticle instead of horizontal.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 14:56:31 (permalink)
    Mack? Alas you have now ruined my entire fishing environment.  I shall never be able to fish where there aren't any (fast water) because you have divulged the secret I have kept to myself for 30 years.  Whatever shall I do?  Where shall I go to get my steel fix?  I will be a lost soul absently roaming the tribs from hole to hole looking for some uncrowded fast water to fish.  Actually it was a very good post!    The trick to getting good hook-ups in fast water is to get the fly below the broken surface water and  down to the slower water at the bottom of a hole.    Water normally runs much slower at the bottom (deeper water) due to less vertical fall and friction and disruption of the flow by rocks.  A good technique to help get the fly down is heavier weight about 2 feet above the fly and very little at the fly this will "anchor" the fly in the bottom of the hole.  I have used more than 2 BB sized weights to get the line down and then just a small weight to control the fly.  Works wonders with buggers.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 15:06:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Shorter leads ( fly-shot ), and proper mending, and/or indicator adustment keeping your drift verticle instead of horizontal.

Right on.   It's called right angle indy fishin.   Line lays on the water, from the indy it drops straight down.. forms a like 90* right angle.  Length between indy and fly is as long as (and no longer) than the depth of the water.   It's practially impossible to line fish this way.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 15:07:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tippecanoe

I borderline hate fishing nymphs, and that is basically what trib fishing is about.  I would definately rather be part of a nice sulfer hatch then a guessing game nymph-fest.  I know how much more productive they are supposed to  be then dries, and not just in Erie.  If I fish anywhere but Erie, I rarely use a real Strike indicator, instead going for a large high floating terrestial, or with nothing at all.  I think this is called high sticking, or dumb-luck fishing.  I have about a half hard time casting with a strike indicator.  I read somewhere to shorten the leader in the case of fishing under a strike indicator, is that a fact?

i know what you mean

the other thing about steelhead fishing i have a hard time matching the hatch

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 15:21:24 (permalink)
    Typically what I like to use is a #14 glo bug unweighted with no more than 18" of leader tied through the eye of the glo bug for my dropper which is usually a #14 hare's ear, pheasant tail, copper john or soft hackle.  I use the glo bug more as an indicator as to where my leader is and watch it.  When I see it stop I pick up gently on the line and feel for a fish.  I don't use an indicator and keep the rod tip up as high as possible and the leader as vertical as possible.  I try to not allow any fly line to be on the water.....

As for matching the hatch, glo bugs and sucker spawn are always a good choice.  Woolly buggers and streamers can be very effective if you swing them through a group of fish.  I don't weight my buggers or streamers and pretty much let them drift as naturally as possible.  If I need to add weight, I use tiny split shot starting about 6 inches above the fly and add a few more every 12 inches or so if needed.

pax vobiscum +
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    RE: All The Good Holes Are Taken 2009/09/29 15:40:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Mack? Alas you have now ruined my entire fishing environment.

I don't think you will ever have trouble finding room to fish in faster water.  Nonetheless, I thought this might help to take some pressure off D-Nymph when he is camping out in the Manchester Hole.
    post edited by MackJ - 2009/09/29 15:42:22
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: