Furled leader for steel?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
pxatim
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4786
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 19:36:59 (permalink)
So kind of sum up what I've read on here and other sites... (correct me if I'm wrong at any point)

The advantages of Furled leaders are increased durability, saved money on buying tapered leaders(though I still think you make it up or spend more on tippet(if you buy the quality stuff))

But the one thing I read that I like the most is that the furled leader will almost act as if you have a sink tip on the end of your fly line. So your fly will get down faster. Do any of you that use furled leaders find you use less split shot because of these?

fishmonger... you going to have any of your leaders at the one fly... I'd be interested in getting a couple in different sizes to give a try. This is all new to me.
norm289
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 19:57:00 (permalink)
Some companies have made them(not sure how) that are uniform sinking furled leaders. I have both types from the same company and the sinking ones are just like a sink tip. The regular one seem to be ok for dry fly fishing. When nymphing I do have to add an extra splitshot or two then I have to with regular leaders. I use the sinking one for swinging streamers. They also make another furled leader that has a small swivel on them that prevents line twist. I used the swivel one for pike and stripers and never had a problem. I have the three types, regular, uniform sinking and streamer on all my rods (3wt,5wt, 7wt, and a 9wt). I have been using these for almost three years now. All came from feathercraft. Never had one come apart yet. Tried two Orvis braided leaders and both blew up within the first month!
HCsteel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 21:42:59 (permalink)
You guys are talking about flouro leader and it being expensive. A good alternative is buying Seagur Abrasx flouro. It is almost as good as the rio flouroflex. The founders of troutpredator really push it but they are sponsored by them so it must be good. Its affordable because I think it comes in a 200yd spool for 35$. Its at gander mountain and Cabelas, unfortunately not at Fishusa as I already looked.
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 22:10:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: clearwater

ORIGINAL: Cold

I plan to try em too.

They'll work great till the water starts to freeze up, then I imagine it'll be similar to casting a copper wire. I think their "spring" will be a good shock absorber as well.

just so you know the furled have little to no  strech that is why i use braided

With due respect, you're totally and completely incorrect. The 'spring' is an inherent part of the furled leader, as it's construction is based around tight twists of material coiling up into a spring-like cord. Braided leaders, on the other hand, like braided fishing line for spinning and casting setups, has little to no stretch.

The advantages of Furled leaders are increased durability, saved money on buying tapered leaders(though I still think you make it up or spend more on tippet(if you buy the quality stuff))

You forgot my favorite reasons: they turnover flies like a dream. Delicacy for those #18-20 dries, and 'oomph!' for that #8 stonefly nymph plus shot & indicator. And second, they have absolutely positively no memory whatsoever. Loop a furled leader around an empty tippet spool for a few years, then get it out, take it off the spool and give the ends a tug and it's limper than John McCain at an amish barn raising.

But the one thing I read that I like the most is that the furled leader will almost act as if you have a sink tip on the end of your fly line. So your fly will get down faster. Do any of you that use furled leaders find you use less split shot because of these?

I've never seen this...other than maybe a hint of this behavior due to the furled leader getting waterlogged, and not being affected as much by surface tension. Fluoro furled leaders might sink faster, but my mono ones dont.

Fishmonger, I agree. I'd be interested in putting in an order for a few of them from you if you'd consider. If youre feeling REALLY ambitious, you should give a demonstration up there after lunch!
pxatim
Pro Angler
RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 23:17:23 (permalink)
Cold... the article I read was talking about the Flouro furled leaders acting like a sink tip when coupled with a flouro tippet. I found this very interesting. Especially for Erie streams... small water, multiple currents where you don't need alot of line out.

And I've read the opposite about mono leaders... they float well(especially when greased) and turn dries over well.

Note.. this is all from what I've been reading I'm going to pick up some in both mono and flouro in different sizes to try out and find how well they really work. I'm very intrigued by all this... since up to now I've been using a tapered leader and just blood knoting tippet in to it. Basically using the same concept of a furled leader just with less desirable results.
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 23:25:53 (permalink)
I've never used a fluoro furled, so I cant speak with any trace of authority when comparing to it. Mono, when dressed, floats beautifully. Undressed, it lays in, not on, the film, but still allows for a great drift.
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/04 09:12:38 (permalink)
Amnesia + Maxima + Ultragreen + Tippet + Fly =  Fish

dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2987
RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/04 09:51:59 (permalink)
I keep forgetting the Amnesia.
pxatim
Pro Angler
RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/04 10:05:05 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Loomis

Amnesia + Maxima + Ultragreen + Tippet + Fly =  Fish

What lengths are you using? Blood knot connections? You're basically tying your own tapered leader then..... amiright
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: