Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
HCsteel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 732
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/02 23:48:26 (permalink)

Furled leader for steel?

Does anyone have any advice for or against using a furled leader for steel? I think that is what Im going to try this year or tie my own leaders. I can buy all the leader material for the price of a couple tapered leaders. There arent any weeds for the knots to get tangled in and I am comfortable with my knots. So what do you guys think?

38 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 00:03:33 (permalink)
    I plan to try em too.

They'll work great till the water starts to freeze up, then I imagine it'll be similar to casting a copper wire. I think their "spring" will be a good shock absorber as well.
    HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 00:06:33 (permalink)
    Ive heard that if you put lip balm on your guides they wont freeze as fast? Maybe if we put lip balm or some other freeze repelent on them it would be better? It only gets really bad on my guides in the middle of winter.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 00:11:44 (permalink)
    Thing is, it takes a good build up of ice to freeze a guide shut, and its only water that beads on it that can freeze. A furled leader will soak up water. Even if you dress it, it will either float, or soak up water.
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 00:49:47 (permalink)
    I use furled leaders all the time. The only time they really iced up on me is when there is ALOT of slush on the water. Like in the middle of winter but usually once the sun comes out good they are ice free. I have only had a few outings where I had to actually thaw them out in order to fish.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 06:24:36 (permalink)
    HC - I've been using the furled leaders now for some time and really like them. I will warn you though that when it gets real cold out - they will freeze up since they do hold water. In fact last year when I was up fishing in December - I had to periodically take the leader and rub it in my hands to get the ice off of it. They do cast very well though. The type I use is The Fly Fisher's furled leader. It has a small ring on the end for you to attach the tippet and they come in flourocarbon. Kind of expensive though costing anywhere from $12 - $16 a piece. You can get them at Gary LaFontaine's website at:
    http://www.thebookmailer.com/Gear/Leader/leader.html
    l

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 07:24:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: norm289

I use furled leaders all the time. The only time they really iced up on me is when there is ALOT of slush on the water. Like in the middle of winter but usually once the sun comes out good they are ice free. I have only had a few outings where I had to actually thaw them out in order to fish.

Yes, obviously, they're only going to freeze when temps are cold enough to freeze the waters you're fishing in. If its cold enough to freeze the water in your guides, its cold enough to freeze the water in your leader. The stiffness imparted by the ice in the furls of the leader is enough, for me, to eliminate their primary advantage. I tried it once, in January. It froze up within the hour, and I didn't use one again until March.

steely34, have you used the ringed ones? The way they have it attached it looks like you'd lose much of your turnover power, and get a terrible hinge effect, with the way they've attached that ring. What has your experience been with them?

I've started to nail knot a tiny length (under 3") of 10# PowerPro to the tippet end, with a perfection loop, to preserve the end of the leader. It's also nice that PowerPro is inclined to float, but just barely. This means that it'll float when fishing dries, especially dressed with a bit of floatant, and that it'll sink with no problems when fishing nymphs & streamers.
    clearwater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 08:08:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: HCsteel

Does anyone have any advice for or against using a furled leader for steel? I think that is what Im going to try this year or tie my own leaders. I can buy all the leader material for the price of a couple tapered leaders. There arent any weeds for the knots to get tangled in and I am comfortable with my knots. So what do you guys think?

how in the heck do you tie the dam things. i always buy mine   dont think i could even begain to start to tie one..   i use braided witch are almost the samething gonna try some differnt ones this year. i have had no probs with them freezn up to bad. a  if you guides are freezn get some stanleys ice off paste it works great
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 08:15:31 (permalink)
    Google is your friend.

They are not nearly the same as braided.
    post edited by Cold - 2009/08/03 08:16:01
    HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 08:28:15 (permalink)
    The way to tie your own leaders is to get 3 or 4 different types of mono usually. You start with a butt end, say 20# for steel, then go 3 ft and choose a smaller one. You connect then with a uni knot or a bloodknot. You should end at a 6# or 8#.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 08:39:08 (permalink)
    He means furled leaders, I think.
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 08:50:12 (permalink)
    I think that yoou are confusing a tapered leader with a furled leader. My buddy Mike and I make our own furled leaders with a jig. They end up tapered, but with no knots. I loop both ends of the leader to keep it from unfurling. I used them all year so far, but not for steel. I'll deal with the freezing however I have to. The furled leaders that we make are limp, knot free, ane cast very well. Treated with floatant, they made fishing dries very efficient. You can get plans for the jig off Google. Cold, di you try to make any yet? Once you iron out the bugs in the process, you can make exceptional tapered, furled leaders in about 10 minutes. I should save a lot of cash by not having to buy so many different leader strengths to make up heavy duty tapered leaders for steel. At least I hope that it is how it works out. 

Fishmonger
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 09:00:06 (permalink)
    fishmonger...how do you keep the number of twists even? You just do the 10% reduction, or???
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 10:15:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

ORIGINAL: norm289

Yes, obviously, they're only going to freeze when temps are cold enough to freeze the waters you're fishing in. If its cold enough to freeze the water in your guides, its cold enough to freeze the water in your leader. The stiffness imparted by the ice in the furls of the leader is enough, for me, to eliminate their primary advantage. I tried it once, in January. It froze up within the hour, and I didn't use one again until March.

steely34, have you used the ringed ones? The way they have it attached it looks like you'd lose much of your turnover power, and get a terrible hinge effect, with the way they've attached that ring. What has your experience been with them?

I've started to nail knot a tiny length (under 3") of 10# PowerPro to the tippet end, with a perfection loop, to preserve the end of the leader. It's also nice that PowerPro is inclined to float, but just barely. This means that it'll float when fishing dries, especially dressed with a bit of floatant, and that it'll sink with no problems when fishing nymphs & streamers.

Cold, The ringed ones are the only furled leaders I have tried out yet. And I agree with you on the freezing up issues. They are worth less when that happens. Like I said before I tried to rub them between my hands when this occured to no avail. As far as the hinge effect - I use them for trout on my 4 weight from time to time and I never really noticed a problem with the turnover. My main thing with them is that they do spray water on the first false cast which can spook trout in clear water. Overall though for steel I find the ringed ones from Fly Fisher's are handy to use in that when changing tippets all I use is an improved clinch knot on the ring. Quick and easy. Just my opinion though.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 10:24:51 (permalink)
    I agree, for steel, the shot, indicator, etc. Have already ruined turnover, so a hinge effect isnt a big deal. Youre also not doing a ton of real casting there either.

To help with spray, try false casting once over water you're not fishing, or really "popping" the backcast, to jolt the water out back there. Or, try to cast without using a false cast...or, if you're fishing dries, the best method is to treat the entire leader with a paste floatant. It helps seal up the gaps in the furls, which takes the place of the water it'd normally pick up.

I have one furled for dries and one for nymphs that I take with me. The one for dries was treated with 2 applications of watershed before it ever saw the water, and 3 applications of Mucilin. I figure I can reapply either of these as needed.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 10:37:33 (permalink)
    Cold, That's what I've learned to do to get rid of the spray. Cast over water your not fishing first or "popping"  the backcast. I never tried treating the leader though. Great idea. Have you found that by doing this it helps with the freezing issue? I would think it would since less water is likely to absorb into the leader. - Cold - check out the deals I just posted here on this forum after this post. I feel like I just won the lottery the past few weeks.

John Gierach

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 10:43:34 (permalink)
    It'd probably help SOME, but the freezing-temps would stiffen the paste mucilin too. Basically, yes, it'd probably work, but in cold weather, it'd offer no real advantages that furled leaders normally offer. Also, you'd be limited to dries, an unattractive option in the dead of winter (for the most part). For the presentations used most often in the winter (weighted nymphs), I dont see any reason to deal with frozen-furled-leader issues, when a normal mono or fluoro leader will do the same job, equally well, without freezing up.

Oh, and buy me a $40 hardy next time you see one. I'll pay u back.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 11:33:34 (permalink)
    Do you tie in a loop on each end of your furled leader for your line to leader and leader to tippet connections?

Any recommendations to who makes the best ones and what sizes you would use.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 11:58:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pxatim

Do you tie in a loop on each end of your furled leader for your line to leader and leader to tippet connections?

Any recommendations to who makes the best ones and what sizes you would use.

Yes. The ones I buy are Blue Sky furled leaders made of mono, not thread. They have a loop already in each end, and while I use their loop at the flyline end, I nail-knot a short (1.5 to 2.5") length of light powerpro with a perfection loop in the end the tippet attaches to. If not, your tippet loops will chew up the built in loop and itll unfurl when it lets go.

I've only used blue sky so far, but I like em. After my first one unfurled due to bottom-loop breakage (after about a month of use), I had my second one for...oh...3 months or so, and it was still going strong, when I lost it due to an error so stupid it doesnt bear repeating. Properly maintained, barring massive accidents, a good mono furled leader's life should be measured in months, or even seasons, rather than hours, days, or weeks.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 11:59:32 (permalink)
    I agree with you Cold - greasing up the furled leader won't really offer any advantages as it would float. Might as well go with a mono instead when it's cold out. As far as the Hardy - sorry but if I ever (which I strongly doubt) come across a deal like that again - I'm keeping it. Nice try though.
    Pxatim - The ones I use have a loop on the line end. Just make a loop to loop connection. The other end has a small metal ring on it. I use a improved clinch knot to tie the tippet to it. The entire furled leader is tapered. Not sure which ones Cold uses or how his connections are made but with what I do, I've never had one fail.

John Gierach

steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 12:01:19 (permalink)
    Sorry about that Cold - just as soon as I posted the latest, I saw you had already posted your answer to Pxatim.

John Gierach

clearwater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 14:52:26 (permalink)

The way to tie your own leaders is to get 3 or 4 different types of mono usually. You start with a butt end, say 20# for steel, then go 3 ft and choose a smaller one. You connect then with a uni knot or a bloodknot. You should end at a 6# or 8#.

it seems that you are talking about a tapered leader with differnt sections i would stay away from that anywhere u put a knot it weekens the line. i use orvis barided leaders and other companys make ferrled leaders. u will find that making one knot tipit to you braided  ferreled leader will be much easyer to do save time and be less of a hassle IMO

and bye the way im sorry that i was wrong COLD   what is the differnts
    HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 15:00:28 (permalink)
    Yeah I knew that the post I wrote wasnt about furled leaders. I thought he was asking about home made mono leaders. I misread his post. There is alot of good information in this thread. I found some furled flouro leaders made specifically for steelhead. Would these last longer than the mono furled leaders?
    clearwater
    Expert Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 15:08:19 (permalink)

I plan to try em too.

They'll work great till the water starts to freeze up, then I imagine it'll be similar to casting a copper wire. I think their "spring" will be a good shock absorber as well.

just so you know the furled have little to no  strech that is why i use braided
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 15:47:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: clearwater

I plan to try em too.

just so you know the furled have little to no  strech that is why i use braided

why? the braid would have a lot less stretch than a mono or flouro leader....unless that's what you want. You want a little stretch to protect your tippet.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 15:56:05 (permalink)

Yeah I knew that the post I wrote wasnt about furled leaders. I thought he was asking about home made mono leaders. I misread his post. There is alot of good information in this thread. I found some furled flouro leaders made specifically for steelhead. Would these last longer than the mono furled leaders?

HC - The company - Fly Fisher's (beginning to sound like I'm a rep from this company) does sell the flourocarbon made furled leaders and they do have one for steelhead. It's got a bit of a different taper to it and it is the one I use when up in the fall and the spring. As far as durability - I'm on my third year on the same leader but I only get up to Erie in the fall and the spring. I'm not on the stream every day but it does seem to hold up well.

John Gierach

HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 16:02:02 (permalink)
    Ill be on the stream almost everyday this season. Its good only being 17 and living within bike distance of 12mile and 10minute drives to 16 or 20mile. Im planning on getting one of those leaders and using it till its dead. It will be way cheaper than buying tapered leaders every week. I hope it wont slow me down in the dead cold of winter.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 16:24:54 (permalink)
    Don't forget to buy good flouro tippet material though
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 16:32:26 (permalink)
    pxatim - we could start a whole new discussion on flourocarbon tippet.

John Gierach

fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Furled leader for steel? 2009/08/03 19:23:38 (permalink)
    Cold,

Yes, we use a 10 % reduction. We use a variable speed battery drill with with a "cup holder" hook (one of the gold colored ones) to wind the furls. We found that after you take the leader off the jig, keep a lot of tension on it. Hang it on a door, attach a 2-3 oz. lead sinker to the bottom, release the tension, and let it unwind. The heavier weight tends to keep twists and knots out. The finished product is pretty sweet. I dug up some 6/0 Kevlar thread to tie up some leaders for steelhead. I hope that the results are what I am expecting. We used nylon thread in clear and olive that I got from Jo-Ann's Fabric for the ones that we used all spring, summer. We got turned on to these when I ran into a friend on Elk during last steehead season. There was snow on the ground, but it was a sunny day, so icing apparently wasn't a problem. I do believe that using a furled leader this fall will save a lot on leader. I'll put on good flourocarbon tippet, (still experimenting, after all these years), and should be able to keep my presentation in the water more.   

Fishmonger
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: