Question for walleye trollers

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
kingnuke32
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1863
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/15 22:37:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: just keep a few

I have been reading all these posts and was wondering..
What planet are you freekin' people from? You guys sound like a bunch of little children on the playground comparing toy sizes and whining about who has more,newer and bigger...I feel sorry for you guys. And you call yourselves fisherman...what a joke.
You guys will never "get it" but you all really need to plant your feet back down here on Earth..
Whatever you do PLEASE STAY ON LAKE ERIE! and don't be an invasive species on the inland lakes.
Happy fighting on the lake boys.

Maybe you don't get it. Everyone fishes for their own reasons. What seems like fun and fishing to you may not be fun to someone else. I fish to get away and relax but on the same note I am out there to catch fish not just go for a boat ride. When I have my nephew or the like out with me it is different its all about them and making sure he or whoever it may be has a good time. If I am fishing I want to catch fish plain and simple. Will I still fall asleep at night if I get skunked sure but I will just try harder the next time to catch fish. To some the satisfaction is just being on the lake and to some the satisfaction is putting fish in the boat. I don't judge you on how you fish or what you enjoy what gives you the right to judge everyone else? Most of the guys in this thread were joking around and in a pinch I believe any one of them would help another out if it was needed.
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/15 22:56:42 (permalink)

What planet are you freekin' people from? You guys sound like a bunch of little children on the playground comparing toy sizes and whining about who has more,newer and bigger...I feel sorry for you guys. And you call yourselves fisherman...what a joke.
You guys will never "get it" but you all really need to plant your feet back down here on Earth..
Whatever you do PLEASE STAY ON LAKE ERIE! and don't be an invasive species on the inland lakes.

You've gotten bold very quickly. 15 posts and hatin'.

fER teH rEKorD..........these duuds "get it".

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/15 23:12:18 (permalink)
Nuke,

First truly honest reply. I'm not saying that those who post "It's not about the fish", are necessarily full of it. But they are ( not intentionally ) dishonest. That is to say, that like you, and I, not catching fish may not ruin their day, BUT. They DO care about catching fish. Otherwise, they would never have come to this site, let alone signed up, and logged in. They would not have made the investment they have, in their boat, gear, electonics, or trips. The only people who truly DON'T care, are easy to recognize, and you see them everywhere. They are the ones at the closest lake to home, in the first easy access sitting in their lawnchair. They have a cheap rod/reel combo, and a small plastic tackle box with two packs each of #4 + #6 hooks, 3.pounds of 1/2 oz sinkers, and a dozen large-VERY large bobbins. They don't change lures, or move to another spot, if "they're not biting". They just sit there watching there watching that bobbin float. Sure, they'd like to catch a fish, but THEY truly don't care.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/15 23:14:21 (permalink)
I wouldn't blink an eye to help anyone on the lake not just this board! I get a little kick out of jabbing each other and there is never any harm meant. I've met a few people the last few years most are pretty cool and the others are okay. We go round and round on here while were not on the lake but never really any issues while were fishing out there. It's a pretty good mix of guys on this board and for the most part everyone jacks someone off sooner or later.  sometimes we get so angry we want to shoot someone,  sometimes we feel like were beating our head off a wall, sometimes we are so happy we caught our limits,  sometimes we are sooo sad we only caught 1 or 2 fish, sometimes we celebrate over such a great day on the water,sometimes we praise the almighty fisherman, sometimes we beat ourselves over the head trying to figure out why the fish are not cooperating, sometimes we have to loudly speak when another vessel is too close to our lines, sometimes we argue for fun, sometimes we just don't know, sometimes we sleep while were fishing, sometimes we drink a little too much, sometimes were on fire, sometimes people pretend to be newbies, most of the time we play together like a well tuned band! SURE GLAD TO BE BACK TO EARTH!
post edited by Big Fathead - 2009/07/15 23:17:23
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1867
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/15 23:15:32 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: kingnuke32

ORIGINAL: BIGSLICK

Tell me about it just set up a few wire diver rods, gonna use em deep and on Lake O fer the Kings next month.

Taking your boat up there or???  What port you going out of?

Taking the boat up most likely out of Olcott.

I was there last month out of Olcott. Did good out deep on A-tom-Mik Green fly and a Dreamweaver frog spin doctor. We were fishing 500fow and down about 70ft. Water was much colder than so???

kingnuke32
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1863
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/15 23:21:17 (permalink)

Tell me about it just set up a few wire diver rods, gonna use em deep and on Lake O fer the Kings next month.

Taking your boat up there or???  What port you going out of?

Taking the boat up most likely out of Olcott.

I was there last month out of Olcott. Did good out deep on A-tom-Mik Green fly and a Dreamweaver frog spin doctor. We were fishing 500fow and down about 70ft. Water was much colder than so???

Ya the cline should be setup nice by then and should be able to start pickin up some Browns in close as well, hopefully.
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/15 23:26:14 (permalink)
Nice post Fathead....that sums it up.

weLCumtOerTH

I choose Little Cleos

BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/15 23:33:37 (permalink)

Thanks for not being on the lake and being an inconvenience to the people that are out there to catch fish. Do you think people book a charter for $600+ dollars to take a boat ride? Dream on dude...You know what relaxes me, a cold beer after I get done cleaning all the fish I caught from an awesome day fishing on the lake. Being on the lake on a nice calm day, yes, is relaxing, but like others have said, I am out there to catch fish. If I was going for a pleasure ride with my wife and family on my boat than yes, I am out there to relax and have fun. When I am fishing, it's game on, I am out there to catch fish, and that is what is fun for me. In my opinion, there is nothing fun about looking at rod tips all day and not getting a bite especially if the lake is rough. You are probably the guy that goes 2 miles off shore right in line with the perch or walleye grounds and drops anchor and makes everyone swurve around you. Happy as can be that your not catching fish. That's fine with me, If that's what relaxes you and makes you happy, than go for it! I by no means have the best gear, the best boat or the most knowledge. But I still catch fish on a consistant basis. As Carpetbagger has said, I am just an everyday **** that likes to kill walleye and perch (Sorry for the steal CB, but I just had too). You can fish all the inland lakes you want, but nothing compares to an awesome day on the water where you get your limit of perch and rig up and troll and fill the cooler with walleye as well. Nothing compares in my opinion and I have fished the inland lakes and they really don't do anything for me.

Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/15 23:39:04 (permalink)
That's the best post you've put up.

I choose Little Cleos

harrypelles
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1007
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 01:20:16 (permalink)
Neat post, Big Fathead.

For the most part, this board is the closest I can get to the water when I'm not there. Pictures, stories, etc. I can only prep my gear, check the weather and research locations so much before I look at the clock and cryingly count the hours 'till I'm in/on the water.
ready2fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 06:40:58 (permalink)
Guess trying to not start a war didin't work.

Did anyone actually answer my question, LOL........
just keep a few
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 50
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 06:55:44 (permalink)
There...now see how exciting that was... Happy fishing :-)
bulldog1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5203
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 09:20:43 (permalink)
This was probably the answer, it was post #3. I would add that I generally troll where my sonar tells me there are fish. If I hear that the walleye are in 70' of water I don't just power out to 70' and start trolling. I'll watch the sonar and start fishing when I start marking fish.

ORIGINAL: freshwaterdrumR

Trollers target depth and water temp more than structure to answer your question.

I understand your frustration, sometimes people dont like to watch where they are trolling they just go. I've had people cross over my back and tangle all my lines, Ive had them troll right over my anchor line and I'd laugh as they got excited to see all their rods release at once.
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 11:26:50 (permalink)
This thread was Hijacked a long time ago!

Heading to the lake tonight gonna go bob around tomorrow and not catch a fish, NOT, I think I'll go with the whack em theory again tomorrow!
pxatim
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4786
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 11:28:12 (permalink)
Let us know how long it takes you to limit out
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 11:31:13 (permalink)
....and don't run me over.....snip snip

I choose Little Cleos

BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 11:38:12 (permalink)
And make sure your feet are touching planet earth.....

bulldog1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5203
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 12:00:58 (permalink)
Wayne, need a hand on your boat? I was planning on Friday and Saturday, but with my little 23' 5 footers aren't much fun
pxatim
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4786
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 12:07:25 (permalink)
oh snap!
Big Fathead
Expert Angler
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 12:44:21 (permalink)
Sorry charters this weekend and have mate planned already. 5 footers are just a nice walleye chop! LOL!
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 18:38:25 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Big Fathead

Sorry charters this weekend and have mate planned already. 5 footers are just a nice walleye chop! LOL!

For a 30'er....Not in my 22'er...That's no fun for me....lol...Better get the barf bags out BF!!!

worm_waster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 528
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 22:39:05 (permalink)
R2F,

To answer your question.  Yes, walleyes (particularly eyes in shallow water) will hold on the same structure as smallies.  In the Western Basin they call them reefs.  We have somewhat less pronounced reefs here (rock humps) that you were probably targeting as well.

That said, every situation is different, and I wasn't there so this is my take on it.  First, marker bouys are hard to see at much more than 50 yards or so unless you are looking for it, particularly in any kind of chop.  I have thrown a couple of bouys and never found them again. 

If I am trolling with boards out and see a bouy, obviously I will try to avoid it. However, if I notice it at less than 50 yards, It is going to be nearly impossible to turn out of it's path if it is dead ahead, particularly if a fairly stationary boat (bass guy) is also in the path.  Most of the time, while trolling in water this shallow, we are targeting the bottom few feet of the water column with our lures, thus eliminating the idea of going shallower due to running all the lures into the bottom and losing them.

In a situation where I saw a bouy that was too close to make the turn, I would "make a hole" but pulling in some board lines and letting some out and hope not to hook it.  If i did, I would bring in the stuff and return it to the owner and apologize.  Nothing would be damaged or lost (except for the spot it was marking). 

That is one reason I prefer to leave the water less than a mile out for bass guys and jet skis, but sometimes, particularly in the early season, it is by far the most productive water and boards are about the only way to effectively fish it.

Like I said, I wasn't there but the conversation on the boat trolling went something like this.

"You see Roland Martin up there Sam?"

"Yup, I'll go inside of him"

"It's getting really shallow Sam, if you go any shallower, your gonna jam the junk on the bottom"

"He's got a bouy out"

by that time, there was no where to go, and the situation you mentioned unfolded.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 22:53:06 (permalink)
I have to agree with w_w, the buoy markers are very hard to see, especially since you rarely see them out anymore and your not religiously looking for them. I have only seen a couple in the last few years, and I didn't even see them until I was almost right on top of them.

Carpet Bagger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1834
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 23:10:50 (permalink)
Marker Bouys have no place on Lake Erie when a WAAS GPS is accurate to under 3ft....I cant imagine a modern bass outfit not having a GPS...

Again we mention being considerate to others...Just cause you mark a spot with a bouy doesnt give you exclusvie rights to it...It also doesnt mean the boats trolling are necessarily looking for bouys in areas where they dont ever see them...

CB
I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
Split Shot
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 891
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 23:48:00 (permalink)
Even if he didn't throw out a bouy, he would be drifting or anchored. So NO ONE should be near him anyway.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
BIGSLICK
Pro Angler
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 23:52:41 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Split Shot

Even if he didn't throw out a bouy, he would be drifting or anchored. So NO ONE should be near him anyway.

Well when you decide to park your boat in 25-30fow on a Weekend when It looks like I-90 out there trolling for eyes, it is kind of hard not to get close. Not run him over, but with 100 yards anyways....

Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/16 23:57:29 (permalink)
Since this has become a topic of debate, for the record.........

I OWN THE LAKE. PM me for written permission to drift...or I'll get "Beaver" on you arses and post Erie up.

On the real....plenty of room on this lake for yinz and us...driftin, trollin, Kastin', boating, whatever. While it may be inconvenient at times to make an unscheduled turn...we "can" do it. We all manage to Kast round eachother in the fall....same principal, respect yur neighbor.

I choose Little Cleos

Buckets Charter
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/17 00:18:46 (permalink)
As fas as who has the right of way a boat a drift is considered not under command and would have the right of way over a boat that is in motion with one exception a fishing vessel with a net in the water may have the right of way only in a narrow channel wow that is a mouthful. The most important rule is rule #1 At all cost avaoid collision. Just my thought Dan
Buckets Charter
Novice Angler
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/17 00:20:10 (permalink)
Stay in ohio Jeff it is easy fishing.... Anyone can catch them there
Buckets Charter
Novice Angler
RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/17 00:35:04 (permalink)
Master Guide This is for you and only you You were part of a team that has done well in the events Pete myself wolf wayne ken and mike ie the team captain usually makes all the decisions. You were a good mate but a mate is what you were. Dont **** wayne off i am not gonna stop him when he mashes your skull over something stupid. You know my thoughts on how the protest was handled wayne is ok and it is really no business of mine. quit acting like a **** head and go fish. Get this through your head the dam tournament doesnt mean anything it is one or two days. Customers only care about a safe and productive day on the water. We have had a few bad days but look at the reports page on my site and you will see the proof. produce fish everyday and build a sucessfull charter business then you will get the credit you deserve. I am not pickin on you man just trying to stop this before it turns into something Bad.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to: