Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
ready2fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/12 20:37:43 (permalink)

Question for walleye trollers

First off, I'm not trying to start a war but I have to ask..........

I was on Erie for the last 5 days bass fishing, 2 practice days and 2 tournaments, 1 Fri and Sat, 1 on Sun. Saw alot of boats trolling for walleye. I was targeting humps, structure in general, in the 20-26 foot range. I would throw out a marker buoy when I found something then fish it. Numerous boats trolling for walleye came by with boards or dipseys out, at times it was a steady line of boats. It seemed that almost every boat tried to get a close to me (and other bass boats) as possible. One boat passed between me and my marker with me yelling at them that they were going over my marker. I wasn't mad, just trying to warn them about the marker. One of the mates ran to the front, finally saw the buoy and yelled they were ok, I knew they weren't, the marker was between the board and the boat and one of the rods out the back got my marker line. After reeling it in and winding up my buoy they were about 100 yds away, the mate tossed it out the back and yelled "here it is" causing me to have to go now 150 yds and get it, that made me a little mad.

Question, are the trollers trying to target the same structure as bass guys or is it just that the walleyes are at the depth we were trageting?

post edited by ready2fish - 2009/07/16 06:40:01

102 Replies Related Threads

16506fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/12 20:45:19 (permalink)
    its cause they got a 24' + ft boat, got some decals pasted across their truck and boat , and think they own the lake... I dont move for them any more... just have a good pair of snips on your boat and cut their line if they get too close... they think smaller boats and everyone else should move for them... i smile, wave and go snip snip and wave again
    freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/12 21:07:46 (permalink)
    Trollers target depth and water temp more than structure to answer your question.

I understand your frustration, sometimes people dont like to watch where they are trolling they just go. I've had people cross over my back and tangle all my lines, Ive had them troll right over my anchor line and I'd laugh as they got excited to see all their rods release at once.
    Bulldog2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/12 22:24:46 (permalink)
    Why use a buoy? Not being picky, but if I want to mark a spot I leave a waypoint on the gps. Especially on a crowded lake. It is almost always crowded this time of year on weekends, if everybody threw out a buoy to mark a spot it would look like the worlds largest slalom course. As a rule I give as much room as possible, have I gotten irritated with other boats? Yes. Would I cut someone elses lines? No. I have had guys in boats alone trolling on auto pilot swerving in front of me, I didn't like it but I changed course and speed and got away from him.

What are the regs on marker buoys, if there are any?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/12 22:33:46 (permalink)
    I would imgine, because he was BASS fishing. Probabley casting to a spot, not trolling over it.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Bulldog2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/12 22:54:30 (permalink)
    So, it's ok to toss out a half dozen markers and effectively put up a road block? Again, not trying to be a jack **** just curious.
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/12 23:50:53 (permalink)
    I probably was one of the 24 foot + boats with the stickers on the back that thinks he owns the lake! Not true at all! I target the walleye just happens to be where you are targeting bass! I would love to see someone cut my lines, Fish Commission would be so far up your arse you couldn't move, seems that is illegal and they do enforce it. I carry a camera, video camera, cellphone and the law enforcement officers phone numbers with me at all times. I do not think I own the lake BUT do think everyone should be considerate and pay attention to whats going on around them. I actually left the shallow water this week because there was too many boats drifting and trolling. My opinion was something bad was going to happen, guys trolling facing the back of the boat and not looking where they were going, 7 or 8 boats drifting (who by the way has the right of way), and about 12 boats troliing all in about 1/2 to 3/4 mile circle, It was a total zoo. No fish worth losing equipment or causing trouble with other fishermen.

I would highly recommend against the snip, snip method! One thing for sure my 24+ boat will sink your small boat! LOL! just kidding.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/12 23:55:27 (permalink)
    I was out trolling last weekend and it looked like interstate 90 west of Walnut...People were so ignorant that I moved in closer than most of the boat..Good thing because that's when i started catching fish....people were angling in and out in front of me or behind me not even a care in the world....2 Charters saw me boat 2 eyes back to back and decided to follow me around for the rest of the afternoon...That was nice of them...Especially when I am trying to circle my gps mark where I had a pocket of fish...I guess now you can start having a "Walleye pack" and a perch pack with 100 boats...

harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1007
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 01:08:56 (permalink)
    Is it just me, or does none of this sound even remotely fun? With all the stress of work/life, I go fishing to get rid of it. These stories are just nuts. If some of this stuff happened to me and it would totally trash my mood for the trip. Especially fighting the moving parking lots running around in packs. Not sayin' any of it is wrong or there should be traffic lights on the water. Actually, I'd bet many fisherpersons doing the packing are reasonable and polite (more often the ones I meet are). It all just seems more of a hassle than it is worth. Of course, maybe I'm a little to tightly wound by the time I get to the weekend though...
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 05:09:38 (permalink)
    been there done that feel your pain if your on the water long enough you will see it happens to everyone did you ever have a boat just bird dog you all the way to the light house answer is some of them dont know how to read or do not have a comp and do not know schoot of td and 3;30 is time for a snack and when you say 10 degrees they think your telling them what the temp is
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 06:59:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bulldog2

Why use a buoy? Not being picky, but if I want to mark a spot I leave a waypoint on the gps. Especially on a crowded lake. It is almost always crowded this time of year on weekends, if everybody threw out a buoy to mark a spot it would look like the worlds largest slalom course. As a rule I give as much room as possible, have I gotten irritated with other boats? Yes. Would I cut someone elses lines? No. I have had guys in boats alone trolling on auto pilot swerving in front of me, I didn't like it but I changed course and speed and got away from him.

What are the regs on marker buoys, if there are any?

Why a buoy? It's far easier to have a buoy as a reference point to watch on the water as opposed to constantly having to look down at a GPS. Also, when it's even a little windy, it's far easier to use the buoy to stay in place as opposed to a GPS. Yes, as suggested above, I was casting to a specific spot, the buoy was marking the top of a hump.

As far as I know there are no regs on buoys.
    post edited by ready2fish - 2009/07/13 07:05:38
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 07:02:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses. Yes, it was a zoo and it did look like I-90. I actually fished from Walnut to just West of Trout Run Friday and that's where boat traffic was worst for me. Sunday I fished in the area of Shades and it wasn't nearly as bad.

So, the walleye are holding at that depth now........got it!
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 07:10:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Big Fathead

I probably was one of the 24 foot + boats with the stickers on the back that thinks he owns the lake! Not true at all! I target the walleye just happens to be where you are targeting bass! I would love to see someone cut my lines, Fish Commission would be so far up your arse you couldn't move, seems that is illegal and they do enforce it. I carry a camera, video camera, cellphone and the law enforcement officers phone numbers with me at all times. I do not think I own the lake BUT do think everyone should be considerate and pay attention to whats going on around them. I actually left the shallow water this week because there was too many boats drifting and trolling. My opinion was something bad was going to happen, guys trolling facing the back of the boat and not looking where they were going, 7 or 8 boats drifting (who by the way has the right of way), and about 12 boats troliing all in about 1/2 to 3/4 mile circle, It was a total zoo. No fish worth losing equipment or causing trouble with other fishermen.

I would highly recommend against the snip, snip method! One thing for sure my 24+ boat will sink your small boat! LOL! just kidding.

I concur.......snipping lines would be downright bull.

So, boats drifting have the right of way?

Your right, I also was waiting to see a collision of two boats crossing too closely and all their lines getting crossed.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8525
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 09:13:03 (permalink)
    The walleyes are still west. The bass are at the clay banks.lol

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 09:35:31 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Big Fathead

You guys can just stay in 35ft of water....you can just stay in there all year...lol

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 09:37:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: harrypelles

Is it just me, or does none of this sound even remotely fun? With all the stress of work/life, I go fishing to get rid of it. These stories are just nuts. If some of this stuff happened to me and it would totally trash my mood for the trip. Especially fighting the moving parking lots running around in packs. Not sayin' any of it is wrong or there should be traffic lights on the water. Actually, I'd bet many fisherpersons doing the packing are reasonable and polite (more often the ones I meet are). It all just seems more of a hassle than it is worth. Of course, maybe I'm a little to tightly wound by the time I get to the weekend though...

Amen Harry, Amen!

I fish solely for relaxation and when it becomes stressful, I'll have to change something. I get there when I get there and I come home when I come home, no scheduling my fishing day! Everybody needs to watch out for each other out there.

And remember, no matter how ****ed you get out there, you don't know what the other guy is capable of. There's been people shot over way less than hooking someones buoy, it's just not worth it.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5027
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 12:35:37 (permalink)
    Was talking to an old duffer at the boat ramp at pendergast once about catching eyes.
    I told him I picked up a couple but wished I had thrown out a buoy so I could stay on them.

He told me flat out that they would beat me back to my buoy if they say me net fish and throw a buoy.
    Never dropped another one in that lake..

Absolutely no excuse for running over another mans lines.

Seems like almost all the fishing up Erie way is quite crowded and nothing but a stress factory, combat fishing all year.
    Hell I get ****ed when guys get to close on 100 acre impoundments.
    Would think on a body of water that size a man could find a little room.
    Gotta get that ticket pulled as soon as possible, to hell with anybody else....

The only stress I want fishing is having too many fish on at one time, That kind of stress I can live with...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 13:42:02 (permalink)
    Doesn't matter where you fish on that lake, there are some people that see the CHARTER BOATS and have to go where they are! Can't hide in a 30' hardtop with big letters on the back. I was out in 75 feet of water yesterday with no boats insight and some 19 foot beige starcraft found me. He came within 50 feet of my boat and made a u turn so he wouldn't hit me! I just stared at him in disbelief, I'm 8 miles out trolling west and this guy trolling north heads right for me, no waves, no wind, no reason. I left the shallow fishing due to the congestion. I'd rather boat 4 or 5 fish than 24 or 30 fishing in that mess. Now when I have customers paying $650.00 to fish I gotta deal with the traffic when that is where the fish are eating. It's only a few days or a week away for better deep water fishing. It's a slow pick out there now but well worth the time! 
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 16:15:33 (permalink)
    Oh HIGH OH!!!

21 from Sunday 70+fow...Aint no bass people around me....

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 16:23:49 (permalink)
    ARTHUR:
    It's true! It's true! The crown has made it clear.
    The climate must be perfect all the year.

A law was made a distant moon ago here:
    July and August cannot be too hot.
    And there's a legal limit to the snow here
    In OHIO.
    The winter is forbidden till December
    And exits March the second on the dot.
    By order, summer lingers through September
    In OHIO
    OHIO! OHIO!
    I know it sounds a bit bizarre,
    But in OHIO, OHIO
    That's how conditions are.
    The rain may never fall till after sundown.
    By eight, the morning fog must disappear.
    In short, there's simply not
    A more congenial spot
    For happily-ever-aftering than here
    In OHIO.

OHIO! OHIO!
    I know it gives a person pause,
    But in OHIO, OHIO
    Those are the legal laws.
    The snow may never slush upon the hillside.
    By nine p.m. the moonlight must appear.
    In short, there's simply not
    A more congenial spot
    For happily-ever-aftering than here
    In OHIO.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2147
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 16:26:05 (permalink)
    Oh Yes, it's all coming back to me now! Bout 2 years ago, one of these Charter boat capts. thought it would be a good idea to send his planer board right into the side of my boat. I was anchored and Perchin. Why In the heck would you feel the need to run that planer that close to someones boat is beyond me. Do Walleye swim in tiny circles under anchored boats? Of course this Jack****caught my anchor line right after slammin his planer into the side of my boat. Good thing I dont keep guns on the boat.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 16:33:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: BloodyHand

Oh Yes, it's all coming back to me now! Bout 2 years ago, one of these Charter boat capts. thought it would be a good idea to send his planer board right into the side of my boat. I was anchored and Perchin. Why In the heck would you feel the need to run that planer that close to someones boat is beyond me. Do Walleye swim in tiny circles under anchored boats? Of course this Jack****caught my anchor line right after slammin his planer into the side of my boat. Good thing I dont keep guns on the boat.

I had a boat catch my anchor while I was perch fishing too...Except they were so close that they caught it with their dipsy. I got the dipsy and the harness for free in my anchor line. Thanks!!!!
    post edited by BIGSLICK - 2009/07/13 16:35:51

youngguru
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 681
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 17:08:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger

Oh HIGH OH!!!

21 from Sunday 70+fow...Aint no bass people around me....

smaL

caRpet muNchR
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 19:54:17 (permalink)
    BF: wrote
    "I probably was one of the 24 foot + boats with the stickers on the back that thinks he owns the lake!"

And don't get in my way

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    just keep a few
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 19:58:09 (permalink)
    I don't know but this kinda sounds like NASCAR fishing to me..
    I had an earlier post titled "speed fishing AKA NASCAR fishing" and got some pretty good replies about the relaxiation part of fishing. Like Bing said "the only stress I want when fishing is too many fish on at one time..LOL..
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5027
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 20:35:59 (permalink)
    I feel for you charter Capt..
    Trying to make a living in that will test any mans nerves.
    Especially the good ones(charter capt.) they can be a total magnet for those who have no clue how to find them on their own..
    Seem to be alot of fellas that fish Chautauqua that way for Crappies in the spring..We always called them the "Wolf Pack", They cruised around slow watching the other boats with binos..First one to play a fish up to high has a new neighbor..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

16506fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 20:43:21 (permalink)
    the look after a snip snip!

Na, for the most part everyone is cool, but its just another one of them cases where there's always a acouple D-bags no matter where your at or what your doing....
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 22:51:01 (permalink)
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 23:30:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jon_e_si

Rules of the Road:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/rotr_online.htm

I bet half the people out there can't even comprehend any of that....

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Question for walleye trollers 2009/07/13 23:34:02 (permalink)
    "The only stress I want fishing is having too many fish on at one time, That kind of stress I can live with..."

Maybe it's time to seek out new pastimes. 

Bowling looks promising 

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: