FZ new regs

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
dadeeo66
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points: 0
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/15 13:25:37 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

ORIGINAL: dadeeo66

Would a sink tip line be considered added weight? If so, that would restrict the leader/tippet section to 4' from the end of the sink tip?

I would say no, but with a sink tip you need a short leader to control your drift/eliminate drag. Right?

I'm fairly new to the fly fishing discipline, so I'm unfamiliar with the mechanics of sink tips. A friend suggested I might use one in faster water. It appears I have quite a bit more to learn. 
Ditchrat
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/15 21:56:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ditchrat

That was me being nice.

Here is unnice   LOL

And here's you being ****! LMAO!

Sorry Ditch, couldn't resist.

alls fair

Ditch
Ignorance is not a crime, let someone stay ignorant should be
Ditchrat
New Angler
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/15 22:02:00 (permalink)
dadee066,

Ideally sink tips aare fished across and down.  The idea is your fly gets deep and swings below the fly line.  This allows you to use heavier then normal leaders, because the fly is present before the fish sees the leader.

2-4 ft is the normal distance for a leader.  Normally straight mono, but some times a short taper is needed.  Longer leader are used when you want the fly to come off the bottom up into the water colum. Sometimes a 1-3ft piece of floating fly line is attached to the sink tip to help bring the fly up.  This is normally used in slower or rock filled pools.

Remember if your no catching bottom your not where 90% of the fish are

Ditch
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/16 00:33:58 (permalink)

Ditch- Those 90% on the bottom aren't usually the players are they? They are resting and have little intrest in feeding. IMO this is how many fish are lined.
I fish up in the water colomn more where I'm more apt to find a player.
This is just my personal opinion. Does it make sense, or is it a dumb theory?

Lyrical
waDerboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1910
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/16 01:13:57 (permalink)
You will find players at all points of the water column. The deeper you go the more resting non players are in the mix but there are still willing biters on the bottom. As the water cools into winter the large majority of biters are on bottom and it is the rare fish coming up into the upper column. Metabolism dictates they stay at the bottom where the current is slowed by friction and or behind boulders breaking the flow. My therory anyways. Comments welcome.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/16 03:53:13 (permalink)
Waderboy. I get your drift. Winter is a different ball game. I should have said fall/Salmon. A player fish will come up take a swipe at the fly in the fall. I'm not claiming to have it all figured out. Its just a way for me not to line a bunch of Salmon...
Winter is the time when you need to put it on their nose in my experiance.
Then again you've got many years on me up there. Most of my fishing is done on spring creeks so I may be a little off in my SR theory. Anyone feel free to set me straight. LOL
post edited by salmotrutta - 2007/08/16 03:54:08

Lyrical
King Davy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/16 08:23:15 (permalink)
Your comments truly aren't theory...they are what actually happens...not only in the rivers but in the lake as well. Hunting fish...or very active fish are not on bottom by any means, yet as some have stated, bottom holding fish will eat. In cold water...many more fish access the bottom....not only because of their metabolic makeup, but the water is a fraction warmer on bottom. 39 degree water is the heaviest water...and sinks to the bottom,...so while we are standing in 33 degree water in the winter...a 10 foot pool near bottom might actually be 34 or 35 degress...or even a bit warmer. More so this situation in the lake itself.

Sink tips are a great tool, for accessing fish at depths above the bottom, but heavier sink tips can also allow you to fish very near the bottom. Sink tips come...or can be made in many different sink rate configurations. So you can arm yourself with tips that run only a few feet below the surface to near bottom...and anywhere in between.

The key to successfully running sink tips and finding active fish in say water temps from the high 30's and above is understanding the current conditions as it relates to hydraulics of the flow that day. The dynamics of the force of the flow and which sink rate will get you into the right strike zone is purely a series of stepping through progressions.

in Water temps in the high to low 30's...I start fishing close to bottom...and work my way up to lighter tips...due to the fact that probably more fish will be located lower in the water column.

In water temps from 40 to 60 degrees...I'll personally start with lighter tips and work my way heavier...to find a zone where active players are hunting. So you'll carry tips with sink rates from intermediate...and say 3" per second...mid water tips in the 5 to 8" sink rate per second, and then the heavy stuff that will take you to the bottom.

Mono leaders are never longer thne 5 feet for me...and most of the time 3 to 4 feet. The deep dredging tips, I'm running 2 to 3 feet. I like tippets no less then 15 pounds...because of the savage strikes.....I tend to become attached to the flies I tie...and hate to lose them on the strike...if a fish beats me after he's hooked...so be it. But players are NOT line shy...an active fish will hit your fly tied to a ship anchor line.

Casting and mending plus the river hydraulics that day all come into play when positioning that swing...so you have to step through the progressions of placing your across and down stream cast, and mend to get the fly ahead of the gear.....

When you figure it out...the takes willl light you up...because they are full of energry......It's a fun way to fish...and rewarding when you figure out the fish for that day...and the river, and the sink rate, and the fly they like...
steelie starter
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/16 08:54:29 (permalink)
Okay,here's the ball game.Sat. will spey,using only sink tips of various weights,using lightly tied flies of marabou and tiny flash,mostly purple..Will start at Pineville,then 2A bridge,probably end up below the trestle,maybe sportsmans set.Will cast 60 t0 75 down current,mend and let er' swing!!! Will try a Monday report on skams and atlantics if we hit....frank 
King Davy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/16 09:34:54 (permalink)
Steelie Starter...if the water is at 185...you won't need sink tips....or the very most an intermediate tip...if you are truly targeting Atlantic Salmon ....stay up top....swing more drab colors like light and dark browns (Muddler's...Matuka's)....Olive's and blacks...and sometimes white.....

Not to say you should never use the bright stuff...but you definately want the more native/natural colors of flies for the Atlantic Salmon.

The Salmon River other then places like the Black hole is not a place that requires very heavy tips...most depths are in the 3 to 5 foot range. In the dead of winter you can get down on the bottom...but this time of year...I'd not be running tips at all....unless the water was 750 or greater....just my .02
Ditchrat
New Angler
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/16 10:03:07 (permalink)

Ditch- Those 90% on the bottom aren't usually the players are they? They are resting and have little intrest in feeding. IMO this is how many fish are lined.
I fish up in the water colomn more where I'm more apt to find a player.
This is just my personal opinion. Does it make sense, or is it a dumb theory?

No it doesnt make sence, but no it isnt a dumb theory.

All trout have a built in effort to energy gained calculator.  They instintively know that the bottom flow is less then the mid colum flow.  Its all about hydrodynamics for them.  Most food items are rolling along the bottome, eggs nymphs and little fish trying to gain control after being washed away.

Fish suspent when dries are present, chancing emergers, slower pools, and to gain some heat.

Other then that they are hugging the bottom conserving energy.

Anyone in doubt think about what catches more fish.
a) a dry fly
b) wet flies being swung mid colum
c) an indy rig fished ticking the bottom

Its simple, how many times do we talk about wet flies any more?

post edited by Ditchrat - 2007/08/16 10:08:54

Ditch
waDerboy
Pro Angler
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/16 10:26:02 (permalink)
Quite often very active fish will be on bottom but being active they will come up through the water column to take a fly fished in the surface film.
In the late 70s fishing water running 150-175cfs in Oct I fished pools filled with 100+ steelheads,50+ degree water, on what is now the lower portion of the DSR(fresh from the lake that morning) and rarely saw them suspended just under the surface. They were holding, as best they could with all the competition from other fish, on bottom and either behind boulders, along shelves, or in slight depressions. They would greedily attack from there(they were definate players) right up to the surface but they were primarily holding on bottom.
upnorth
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/16 12:36:12 (permalink)
Round and round we go, where we stop, nobody knows. Maybe we should ask the fish.

As far as added weight in the FZs, doesn't matter a whole lot if you buy/tie weighted flies. A variety of them...thicker core lead on the hooks for faster, deeper water and lighter core lead for low water conditions. You will lose more flies but think of it as your own small contribution to the economic well-being of our country.

Cya on the river,
Up^
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/16 13:08:27 (permalink)
Great points everyone.
I purchased a quad tip line last winter that I intend to experiment with this fall. I guess it could be a good tool to search through the water colomn.
I don't use indies and Ditch- wet flies= me. May be why you catch more than me, but I'm having fun, and I'm not lining fish.

Lyrical
Ditchrat
New Angler
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/16 13:53:03 (permalink)
I don't use indies and Ditch- wet flies= me. May be why you catch more than me, but I'm having fun, and I'm not lining fish.

Great way to fish.  My preferance in local trout fishing is mini sink tips and wets.  Great way to explore a stream or fish a stream that only has a few fish.

Ditch
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/16 23:05:04 (permalink)
So what makes indie fishing better than sink tip, bottom bouncing, or any other (legal) method? Since I have never indie fished I don't get the advantages of it. They are pretty much taboo where I live.

Lyrical
bunnyleach
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: FEZ new regs 2007/08/16 23:28:11 (permalink)
Wow !!! this posts will definitely make me a better wet fly fisherman... great posts and info Waderboy,King Davy and salmotrutta... keep em coming.
It's too bad that there are some anglers in this forum that dislike the wet fly swing presentation, but like somebody in  this forum said... each one to his own I personally love to swing flys be it on floating lines or sink tips, and i think that we all can agree, that some method are more productive than other, but some of us choose a method not for the productivity,but rather for other special personal reason that one can only know by having the experience on their own, and there some of us that choose a method just because it's the most productive. I personally think one can learn from methods that are not of our preference and even apply it to our own way of fishing... I for one would alway welcome constructive criticism, and ignore criticism (the kind of I'm better than you becaouse...)
I'll finish with one of Ron Burgundy's saying  (from the movie Anchor man) we can all agree to disagree... hi,hi,hi.
post edited by bunnyleach - 2007/08/16 23:31:51
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: FEZ new regs 2007/08/17 00:30:17 (permalink)
Bunnyleach- great response. I couldn't agree more. We all have our favorite methods.
I am a user of the wet fly swing. I have the book written by Wood (Jock Scott) titled "Greased Line Fishing For Salmon". While it is not a fool proof method, it works. It is a traditional method for Salmon in Europe, and more recently steelheading (primarily on the West Coast). Of coarse they aren't useing silk/gut, but the method remains the same.

Lyrical
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/17 21:50:33 (permalink)
FOX and ST,
As WB and I have pointed out repeatedly since the imposition of unfair rules on the UFZ last year,  those of you who are using sink tips are just spreding your tiny splitshot up and down ten feet of line in a nonadjusatble way, while those of us who use minimal splitshot keep it at one spot.   If you really want it to be fair and hard, go with Boquet regs, no weight, fly or leader.  Or would that present too much of a challenge for you, becuae I who have been using single b's and bb's for years, have been severely crimped by your "fineline". And thanks for being so willing to limit my fishing!
Perhaps I can retuen the favor someday.

L13
sabalo
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/17 23:37:52 (permalink)
great stuf guys to me swinging flyes is the way to go, althogh I'm been lukier cactching steelhead than chinooks on the swing but two years ago caugt two kings on floatign line on the staircase pool I'll be fishing the last week of august hope for rain the next week and some chinooks move in they come big brigth and strong it doesn't feel that they turn on the fly like steelhead do anybody have some theory about how chinooks take a swung fly vrs steelhead. hows that, spey casting coming along matyD
post edited by sabalo - 2007/08/18 19:07:11
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/18 08:59:07 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Lucky13

FOX and ST,
As WB and I have pointed out repeatedly since the imposition of unfair rules on the UFZ last year,  those of you who are using sink tips are just spreding your tiny splitshot up and down ten feet of line in a nonadjusatble way, while those of us who use minimal splitshot keep it at one spot.   If you really want it to be fair and hard, go with Boquet regs, no weight, fly or leader.  Or would that present too much of a challenge for you, becuae I who have been using single b's and bb's for years, have been severely crimped by your "fineline". And thanks for being so willing to limit my fishing!
Perhaps I can retuen the favor someday.

L13

Hey Lucky- I had nothing to do with it. I've never fished the LFZ.
As for weight- I use shot when I use weight AB or BB. I see nothing in the rules that say you or I may not use it.
If you have questions about it perhaps a call to the DEC is in order. Please tell us what he says because we'd all like to know where this line is to be drawn.
If you were to read my post I said I got a quad tip line to try out. I thought it may be a way to learn some new tactics and lose less flies on that miserable river bottom.
BTW I do go weightless when sometimes (fly included) and have always used floating lines. I would do nothing but skate dries and riffle hitch wet flies if I knew there was a remote chance a fish would rise.

Now... we are discussing methods. If you have any skills you'd like to share you're more than welcome to.
Peace

Lyrical
Foxfire
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/18 11:45:04 (permalink)
Hey Lucky,

I also use a BB or 2BB's particularily in the winter time. Had nothing to do with the rule change, but fully support the DEC's decision to go with no weight in the flyzones. If they want to go with no weight at all (as you suggested "the Boquet rule"), I have absolutely no problem with it and would welcome it!

I am not trying to start a debate here, but this is a change, which is long overdue for these areas of the SR. I am also interested on the enforcement, but that will be seen here in another month.

Learn to cast, learn the correct presentation and the rest will fall into place.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/18 14:54:07 (permalink)
As far as I know it is still legal to use wieght after August 15,2007 in the fly zones,both when open.There is some reg proposed for 2008 that is supposed to state that you cannot use more wieght than you can make a fly cast with,so if you can make a cast with a bb or two you are still legal.2008 should be very interesting and lots of laughs,eh!
Foxfire
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 29
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/18 15:25:21 (permalink)
Your right PA. No change in 2007 after 8/15/07
Ditchrat
New Angler
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/18 19:27:28 (permalink)
agree to disagree... hi,hi,hi.

So what makes indie fishing better than sink tip, bottom bouncing, or any other (legal) method? Since I have never indie fished I don't get the advantages of it. They are pretty much taboo where I live.

The differnce between indy fishing and sink tips is the difference between a surgical strike and capet bombing.

Indy fishing is precise and focused.  Your presentation is focused on one narrow area of water.  If the fish are in that water or close enough to react to your fly then your getting a hit.

Sink covers lots of water but is in the strike zone for a much shorter time.  You get more highly active bites, but much less bites in general.

The effectiveness of the strike indy is that when you learn to read the movements of the indy you will know 100% what the fly is doing.  By knowing that you can correct poor drifts with mends and keep you fly planted in the strike zone.

What makes it better? nothing,what makes it more effective is the answer.

And the answer to that is 10 times the amounts of hits.  When you are fishing for a dozen hits a day then that matters alot.

There are times when sink tips are better thou
post edited by Ditchrat - 2007/08/18 19:29:33

Ditch
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/18 19:48:33 (permalink)
Thanks for the help Ditch. Yet another method for some to learn...

Lyrical
bunnyleach
New Angler
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/18 22:01:12 (permalink)
Boy... this new regs have open Pandora's box. But looking at it from the bright side, I wouldn't have never learn so much had no been because of it (Hey Artie spey don't forget that you started all of this, LOL... hope to share the river with you soon bro.)
salmotrutta I would love to get my hands on that book , in fact I'm going on line after this and order it. I'm actually waiting for Passion for Steelhead of Dec Hogan that should be interesting and helpful, and how about indy fishing method, huh? men!!! you guys are something else.
By the way good luck on you upcoming trip ST.
waDerboy
Pro Angler
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/18 22:16:38 (permalink)
Grease line is a great read. I use the same tech fishing shot and wet tips. Trying to swim the fly through the holding water while keeping it sideways across current giving the fish the best view.
Ditch my friend,when I am fishing tips I am rarely shotgunning. I am trying to, by reading the water, place my fly precisely where I want it. I am not fishing the river I am fishing a seam or a pocket behind a rock or someplace else that should hold a fish and I expect to put my fly within inches of that fishes face. Fishing is, and I know you'll agree, all about ones ability to read water and know where fish will locate themselve in it.
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2987
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/19 09:41:48 (permalink)
Speaking of tradition, wet fly and salmon, this old 1/2 hour video was on ESPN Classics awhile back.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5110630363987265025

Gone Fishing
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/19 09:54:36 (permalink)
Thanks to 9WT for starting this thread.
I've gotta take my hat off to you all for giving up things freely that takes years of experiance to aquire on your own. There really are many methods to find the same end result.
It's nice to see so many of these methods being discussed to some point all in the same thread.
While it's understandable that some aren't happy with the new laws- we must learn to adapt. It's part of life.
Thanks again all for the great insight, and keep it coming!

Lyrical
bunnyleach
New Angler
RE: FZ new regs 2007/08/19 11:25:44 (permalink)
Thanks for the great video dano, it was a good treat to have on a Sunday morning!
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: