Dry Fly Fishing Basics

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 00:15:53 (permalink)
Thanks, indy and anchke.

A bit on wings: are they absolutely necessary? I'm not even sure if the fish can see them, and they easily triple the time it takes me to complete a fly. Would it reduce the effectiveness of a standard catskill tie to eliminate the wings altogether? Or, at very least, substitute hackle tip wings for another type? I hate those things! Only got two sets tied properly in this afternoon's tying, and on both, during the rest of the tie, I accidentally mangled one of the wings.
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2987
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 00:59:41 (permalink)
Cold,
Since your the one who mentioned dimple riseforms, you should of had a decent sulphur spinner fall that evening. WHen there are sulphur spinners, the fish are usually on them. I'd carry 16 & 18 spinners. Your 16's should be close to done and 18's starting soon. 
Also, a rusty spinner can cover over half the mayfly species.
As Duncsdad mentioned on proportions, don't be tempted to over imitate the natural and tie the spinner's tails extra long. Long tails may look correct but will inhibit the take.  
Lastly, your hendicksons/red quills were over a month ago. You may have seen pink cahills and ginger quills (2-tails). They will hatch under the water like quill gordons. Fish eat em at the head of pools.
dano
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 01:06:48 (permalink)
I think wings are necessary.
Get a copy of Marinaro's A Modern Dry Fly Code.
It's the first thing a fish sees on an approaching dun.
I wing em all except #24's and smaller.
 As for material, I use hackle tips quite a bit because I find them easy to tie and i have a of of hackle. But usually the fish aren't critiquing the wing material. But proper length is important. at least i think so.
post edited by dano - 2009/05/29 01:11:08
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 07:07:43 (permalink)
Thanks dano, you're a great help. Looks like I'll just have to live with tying those P.i.A. wings...
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6356
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 08:34:41 (permalink)
Just remember:  A hopper without wings is,,,,, the way they usually look after the third cast.  LOL

Illegitimis Non carborundum
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 09:38:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Just remember:  A hopper without wings is,,,,, the way they usually look after the third cast.  LOL

Where do you guys get the hackle tips for your wings? I have a cheap grizzly saddle I use for nymphs and buggers, and the wings looked okay pre-mangle, but it took me a long time to find a suitable feather. Would a neck yield better feathers for tip-wings? Also, can you use "cheap" feathers for the wings or should you be using your premium dry hackle for that?
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 09:52:37 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Cold

Looks like I'll just have to live with tying those P.i.A. wings...

Don't sweat the wings.  Some things are easier than others in fly tying.  And for me, wing proportion was/still is the hardest thing to do.  You'll get better with practice.  But it won't happen over night, unless you're some kind of prodigy.

That said, wait until you try parachutes, heh heh. 
duncsdad
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 515
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 10:01:29 (permalink)
One of the very basics for Dry fly fishing that hasn't been addressed yet and I forgot last night -- make sure that you put the fly rod in the vehicle before you drive 30 miles to the river.  Having the fly rod with you instead of at home is a great aid in catching fish on a dry fly.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 10:04:15 (permalink)

Tied 2 parachute adams last night. (+1 that died in the final hour...thread break > total unravel > tying FAIL ).

I'm pretty good till I wind that second hackle and try to tie it off and whip finish underneath. Also, they're kinda bushy, but that's because when I finally get the hackle to wind nice, I cant help myself.

Gonna try some para-sulphurs tonight, I think. Just one hackle to wind will help. Also watched a few instructional videos on para tying, and I think I was making it harder than it had to be.

If I ever get camera batteries, I'll post pics of the hideous things.
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 10:06:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: duncsdad

One of the very basics for Dry fly fishing that hasn't been addressed yet and I forgot last night -- make sure that you put the fly rod in the vehicle before you drive 30 miles to the river.  Having the fly rod with you instead of at home is a great aid in catching fish on a dry fly.

Wish you'd have said something earlier! I learned this on my own last weekend. You're right, of course, it makes a world of difference. You wouldnt think that something so simple would affect your hook up rate so much...
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8507
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 10:28:23 (permalink)
dt, always bumming around the state helping someone, aren't you.  you sure have helped enough of us problem children..........  you are okay.

I,ll second that.
dt has tyed some awsome dries with wings and I mean some small stuff. How can you guys even see to do this is amazing.

doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 10:28:53 (permalink)
cold, i don't normaly tie wings on 18's or smaller. imo i don't think the fish see wings standing up through the hackle on that small of flies. then again i don't normaly fish dead flat water where the fish have all the time in the world to visualy diasect my dry. i think its the bulk or silouette that may quickly attract attention to the fish so on 16's and maybe some 18's i'll tie a piece of poly yarn standing up for wings and don't split them.
i use poly yarn for wings in tan, gray and white. this usually covers most small wings. this is also what i use when i tie parachutes on smaller flies also. on bigger flies i use calf tail as para wing post.
if i even think of using anything smaller than a 20, i usually buy them

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 10:29:16 (permalink)

Tied 2 parachute adams last night. (+1 that died in the final hour...thread break > total unravel > tying FAIL ).

I'm pretty good till I wind that second hackle and try to tie it off and whip finish underneath. Also, they're kinda bushy, but that's because when I finally get the hackle to wind nice, I cant help myself.

Gonna try some para-sulphurs tonight, I think. Just one hackle to wind will help. Also watched a few instructional videos on para tying, and I think I was making it harder than it had to be.

Try tying the hackle off to the post instead of the hook shank.  I still struggle with it, but it's clean .
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 10:35:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: D-nymph
Try tying the hackle off to the post instead of the hook shank.  I still struggle with it, but it's clean .

Will do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Any ideas on why my posts (calf body hair) are sometimes rock solid, and sometimes flimsier than a 90 year old dude watching rosie o'donnel? When tying, I try to tie at least 2 at a time using the same procedure, then change slightly till I find something that works for me. In my brief tying experience, consistency is worth its weight in gold, even if I'm slightly off, once I get a consistent pattern going, its much easier to make small adjustments. When I get results so different, its a puzzlement.
dano
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 10:37:00 (permalink)
 The only think I can think of is to try some small griffiths gnats or something,
Thoughts?

Your starting to think like a pro.
 Grffith gnats are a great generic small bug imitation that copies the no-seeum bug. The fish seeum fine.
Yes, many times you will find a species of smaller caddis, duns or spinners blanketing the water. They are usually dark and when fishing on an overcast day or toward evening, they go unnoticed by many. For some reason, cool, drizzly and overcast days bring em out the best.
I was out on my creek that day you fished. 16 cornutta (BWO) were all over the water and fish were on em. Later on, a 22 baetis blanketed the water.
I did well until  the last of my few 22 parachutes unraveled. ( i hate tying those buggers but they work so well.)
 While hiking back downstream, I talked to a half dozen guys. None of them noticed either dark winged fly on the water and were fishing the sparse cahill, gray fox and caddis with occasional results.  At one point, I waded out and picked up a few of each fly off the top of the water and gave them to a guy who swore those bugs weren't hatching here on the lower pools. The 16 BWO hatch actually seemed to be more intense on the lower end.
 So yea, Those fish you were on were taking something you couldn't see. We easily notice all those light colored bugs over the water. But the fish have the better view and those small dark insects are easy for them to spot looking up against the sky. And sometimes that dark bug they're eating may be bigger than you think.

dano
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 10:49:22 (permalink)
Cold, on parachutes and calf body hair, get all those short hairs out before stacking.
I only use one hackle and spiral 2 wraps up and 4 wraps down.
Synthetic yarns are easier to tie but I can spot calf wings better in low light.

Parachute adams, I just use brown hackle. Or barred ginger.
It's the silhouette = dark tapered profile that you're after.
post edited by dano - 2009/05/29 10:50:34
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 12:56:30 (permalink)
Whats the consensus on the hi-viz post material? Does it turn fish away? Once I tie 2-3 calf body hair posts, I'm okay tying them, but sometimes it can be downright maddening when they wont stay wrapped!

Wrapping just one hackle on those paras, tying off to the post, and for the tinies, wings may be simplified and/or omitted. This is great stuff.

Gotta get a few things on the way home to tie up a few and try these new ideas, then its off to (hopefully) see my first green drake hatch. The girl's outta town now, so I have plenty of free evenings.
anchke
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 20:17:40 (permalink)
Being a dexterity challenged guy, I only tie a few dry fly styles in various color combos -- para-duns, sparkle duns, parachutes and elk hair caddis.

I don't mess with hackle tip wings, because my failure rate is too high. I entirely agree with the poster who uses poly yarn for all posts and wings. The plus is that you can trim the wing to fit perfectly after the fly is tied. (try that with hackle tips)

Charlie's fly box has a good tutorial an parachutes, I think.

Elk hair caddis -- one season I only used this fly for dries. I figured out that I could use poly yarn for the wing. Wing down, it was a caddis. A few artfully placed turns of thread (sometimes with a little dubbing applied) and, presto, the wing was elevated and it was a mayfly. For the mayfly/caddisversion, I'd sometimes add a little sparkle yarn as a trailing shuck.

I certainly admire a beautifully proportioned Catskill style dry fly. I'll be goldurned if I'm going to struggle tieing the blamed things. I'm supposed to be having fun.

jmho
JM2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 22:20:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Where do you guys get the hackle tips for your wings? I have a cheap grizzly saddle I use for nymphs and buggers, and the wings looked okay pre-mangle, but it took me a long time to find a suitable feather. Would a neck yield better feathers for tip-wings? Also, can you use "cheap" feathers for the wings or should you be using your premium dry hackle for that?

Hen necks, it's a wider feather.
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6356
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/29 23:57:01 (permalink)
Not to sound like tooo much of an idiot but back when I tied I used duck or goose feathers (sometimes phesant or turkey tails)cut to shape to make wings.  But then I didn't know and still don't know Jack about tying.  I just threw stuff together walked over to the creek and caught fish.  If my messes didn't catch fish I never tried that pattern again.  I used to tie a big fly with big wings that looked like a moth.  I'd dress it up so it would float real well and then twitch it on the surface.  Worked great at dusk till dark.  Never saw it anywhere else.  Is there such a specific fly.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/30 01:44:12 (permalink)
Well, trouts 2, 3, and 4 fell to dries for me. #14 para adams. I saw lots of sulphurs and slate drakes, but missed the green drakes...also saw a little (16ish) mayfly with tan/dun wings and a bright red body. No idea what it was, though.

Also saw a bright green stonefly that was interesting. And by bright, I mean like fluorescent, powerbait green. Pretty cool.

The third trout was also the first one on dries, and on this new 3 wt, that was actually meaty. A nice fat 15" female that just wouldnt give up. Also leapt about 3 feet out of the water for me, para adams safely lodged in the corner of her mouth. Like a mini steelie.

Came home and tied some slate drakes, sulphurs, and some more para-adams, in 12.
clinchknot
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 831
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/30 19:11:30 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: D-nymph

Absolutely 100% agree. I learned that technique a couple years ago and it made my parachutes a lot neater. I do the entire body including the head, then tie in my hackle on the post. From that point on, I never take the thread around the shank again. Also, use head cement on your post right before you wrap the hackle, it will make it much more durable.

I don't give a crap if anybody listens to me or not.
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/05/30 23:27:54 (permalink)
Just tried it that way, and wow...that makes life much more simple. Do you also whip finish around the post? I did, and while it works fine, I literally had to stand up and tilt my head sideways to get the hang of it...the muscle memory for whip finishing doesnt rotate to the perperdicular apparently!

In a stunning rarity, I think the #18 para-suplhur I just did looks neater than the #12 para-adamses I did last night.

Got 2 more fish on the dries today on the little mahoning, a 2" minnow that jumpstarted my heart when he took the fly and a nice brown that technically doesnt count, because, even though I hooked and fought it, it manageed to rub against a rock and throw the hook just 3 feet from the end of my net. In a way it bummed me out, but it's less stressful, I'd imagine, than being netted, photo'd, and released, so good for the fish.

I must say...while I'll never become a purist, I do love dry fly fishing so far.
harrypelles
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1007
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/01 02:03:06 (permalink)
Whoo-hoo!! Caught my first on dries Sunday evening! Four total. Tan caddis. Best fun fishin' in a while! Noticed I took a couple when the fly reached the end if its drift; twitching it back a couple inches before pulling it off the water. When the first one hit I was like, "I can't freakin' beleive it!!" Now I'm hooked!
tank7791
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 511
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/01 06:35:46 (permalink)
Thats a great feeling when you can see them take a dry on top, I can still remember my first hookup on a dry and i said the same thing I'm Hooked  great job! and every hookup is exicting as the first

Tight lines and happy days

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/tank7791/?firstLogin=true
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/01 07:11:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: harrypelles

Whoo-hoo!! Caught my first on dries Sunday evening! Four total. Tan caddis. Best fun fishin' in a while! Noticed I took a couple when the fly reached the end if its drift; twitching it back a couple inches before pulling it off the water. When the first one hit I was like, "I can't freakin' beleive it!!" Now I'm hooked!

If they're taking caddis on that twitch, try "skating" them, cast down and across and fish it like you're swinging a nymph or streamer, but on the surface. Gotta have good heavy hackle on the underside, though.
harrypelles
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/01 11:32:07 (permalink)
The only disappointing thing is that the flies I was using were too mutilated to use after catching one or two.

I was so careful to avoid decorating the trees too - loosing them from actually catching the fish.
dano
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/01 11:52:01 (permalink)
Harry,
One thing that tears delicate dry flies apart are forceps.
Either debard or use micro barb hooks and remove the fly from the fishes mouth by hand.
If you have to use forceps, grab the hook bend. If you have to grab the fly, use light pressure on the forceps so you don't cut the hackle, thread or other tying materials.
Once in awhile a toothy brown trout will tear one up but hey, that's fishing.

You guys are now bonafide dry fly addicts. Welcome to the club.

Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/01 12:22:29 (permalink)
Fish-mangled flies, compared to the myriad others of this sport, is a **** good problem to have.

By the way, fished with doubletaper this weekend and did well.

After we parted ways Sunday, I headed to Mill Creek and had, by far, my best day of fishing with dries. I got my trifecta yesterday, netting a bow and a brown with DT, andgetting some small browns and a few nice brookies up on Mill. Ended up landing 10 trout on mill creek, in the space of about 3 to 3.5 hours. Caught fish on a large, sparse, poorly tied X=caddis that I think they mistook for a downed sulphur, a hairwing dun that was my answer to the abundant slate drakes, a royal wulff, and a #12 para-adams for some visibility in the failing light. Got 2 after dark, just tossing out and waiting for a rise, which was really cool.

Had something big (for a small mountain stream) and bright green break me off in a deep hole. Not really sure if it was even a trout, but Ive no idea what else it could have been. I'll be back to settle that score, though.

Also, just want to make sure: isonychia = slate drake???

With dt, I caught 2 on a #18 griffiths gnat, easily the smallest fly I've caught fish on to date. Next time, we'll have to go to Mill instead!

Many of my fish on mill were tiny 3-6" browns...I cant imagine they're stream-bred, but I also couldnt imagine the state dumping a 4" fish..what do you guys think? I caught 8 in the past week under 6", so its not like the only one in there, but it was also all from the same stream.

Finally, another species ID question...small mayfly (#16), light dun, almost creamy wings, big brown eyes and a bright red abdomen. Any ideas? Also, how big do sulphurs get, and can they be so light that theyre almost cream colored? Ran into a bunch of em about a #14 and wasnt sure. The sparse, pale #14 caddis was, apparently, close enough.
harrypelles
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/01 12:57:17 (permalink)
Sounds like a rockin' day, cold!

Is the section of Mill Creek you were fishing a project water (DHALO)? Seems the only places around here with any trout left are those areas.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to: