Dry Fly Fishing Basics

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/01 13:02:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: harrypelles

Sounds like a rockin' day, cold!

Is the section of Mill Creek you were fishing a project water (DHALO)? Seems the only places around here with any trout left are those areas.

No sir, it just looks too small to bother with in most parts I was fishing yesterday. Also, while I caught a few (and the largest) within sight of a bridge, I caught most after walking a short piece from the road and navigating a little bit of the thick brush.
harrypelles
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1007
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/01 13:06:55 (permalink)
I guess that makes sense... The harder a place is to get to, the less traffic it will see.
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2992
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/01 13:06:59 (permalink)
Also, just want to make sure: isonychia = slate drake???   YES.... also referred to as a leadwing coachman.

Also, sulphurs have 3 tails. and at the most, the early ones are a 14.
Lots of 2 tailed white or cream or yellow or orange or pink cahill species. Nymphs are usually shades of ginger. As to what you saw, your guess is as good as mine.
If there isn't enough of em' on the water to get the fish looking up, they're of no consequence.
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/01 13:21:23 (permalink)
Then the light ones were probably cahills, and the red one wasn't important, lol. What size do you tie for the slate drakes? They always look huge to me.
clinchknot
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 831
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/01 20:14:26 (permalink)
Cold, to answer your previous question, yes I whip finish right on the post. Just use head cement on the post right before you wind the hackle and whip finish. It's very durable that way. Sorry it took so long to answer, we moved recently and it seems like I've been running morning, noon, and night. I don't even have my tying room set up yet.

I don't give a crap if anybody listens to me or not.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8511
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/01 21:41:28 (permalink)
Greattt thread guys!

Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/01 21:48:55 (permalink)
I agree probably one of the most informative in  awhile

woodnickle
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/01 21:54:59 (permalink)
I have learnt alot. Thanks.

Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/01 23:50:25 (permalink)
I'm glad you guys are getting some enjoyment out of this too. I'm so glad I decided to ask for some help.

Big news tonight: my foray into fishing dries has paid off in droves over the past few days. I've been roaming around a few small streams using dries, and the tight quarters are really helping my casting to improve, while the hungry little trout are making it easy to know when I'm doing things right. They're also giving me plenty of opportunities to work on my hookset as well as to learn all the little things that go with the technique. There's also plenty of insect life on these little streams, and I'm having alot of fun identifying the various mayflies.

While fishing one hole today, I noticed a large rainbow, easily twice as big as anything I'd ever seen, or expected to see, in this part of the stream. He was down deep, so I switched to a weighted nymph, only to scare him out of sight. Still, that glimpse had me stymied. If the stream could support a fish that large, who knew what else was lurking?

Well, I worked my way downstream and back up part way, pleased to note that I really was feeling like a true fly fisherman, reading the stream, upstream. Deciding on the best stealthy approach. Sneaking in and determining how best to place the first few casts, and usually, being rewarded by a rise, if not a fish on the line. Its a great feeling to see that you're finally starting to assemble the whole package and things are coming together for success. I was starting to get burned out on trout fishing, but a few weeks away from it, doing well on bass and panfish, allowed me to refresh my mind, and now I'm back into it.

Anyway, I was working my way back up to that pool as dusk was falling, and in a narrow, slow section up ahead, I saw a trout leap nearly two feet clear of the water, a pair of mating crane flies JUST out of reach. Of course, after that, the pair headed elsewhere. Knowing he'd missed his meal, I threw my royal wulff in, just upstream.

It took several drifts, but finally, I heard the slurp-smack of a rising trout, set the hook and the battle was on. I was expecting a "big" 10 inch fish on the line, but when he gave me the head shake, I knew I was into something bigger. Ended up netting a 17" brown, with beautiful colors, just as darkness fell on the creek.

Sorry about the image quality, but thats what happens at night. I touched it up as best I could in Picasa...

Easily my best fish on a dry fly.
post edited by Cold - 2009/06/02 08:08:07
harrypelles
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1007
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/02 05:18:50 (permalink)
Sweet fish and a great story, Cold! You're encouraging everyone here, I think!
duncsdad
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 515
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/02 08:35:21 (permalink)
Great job.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/02 09:00:51 (permalink)
Just use head cement on the post right before you wind the hackle and whip finish. It's very durable that way.

Do you add the hackle while the head cement is still wet? I'm tying quite a few parachutes (they're looking better and better...and a fun tie to boot!), and that's the trickiest part for me, tying in that feather at the post. It keeps coming out before I can start to wrap it.
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6360
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/02 10:03:44 (permalink)
Cold,
   You will notice that the head of that brown seems a little large for the body.  I'd venture that that fish was either a traveller or had reached it's size limit based on food because it looks a little malnourished.  I hope you kept it to give some other fish a chance to grow larger. 
post edited by indsguiz - 2009/06/02 10:04:00

Illegitimis Non carborundum
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/02 10:08:26 (permalink)
I turned him loose...

I dont see what you're saying about the head...how is it bigger than normal? Had I known, I may have kept him. Would any large fish up in a small stream be a similar situation? He certainly seemed healthy enough, and fought well.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/02 21:40:09 (permalink)
Very nice , both in the catch and your story.

clinchknot
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 831
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/02 21:53:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Cold

Just use head cement on the post right before you wind the hackle and whip finish. It's very durable that way.

Do you add the hackle while the head cement is still wet? I'm tying quite a few parachutes (they're looking better and better...and a fun tie to boot!), and that's the trickiest part for me, tying in that feather at the post. It keeps coming out before I can start to wrap it.

Yup, that's how I do it. It cements the hackle stem in place so fish don't tear it apart so easy. As far as tying in the hackle, yeah, that can be tricky. The easiest way I've found is to make the stem a little long, hold it against the post from the bottom, then wrap around the stem and the post. You can then trim the excess stem. I hope that was clear. It's fairly easy to do but kinda tricky to describe.

I don't give a crap if anybody listens to me or not.
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/04 14:01:51 (permalink)
OK, tried paras with the glue, and so far...well, I dont know. Only got a handful of risers, three good takes, all of which released themselves.

This brings up another question: how does rain tend to affect dry fly fishing? It was sprinkling lightly when I left to fish yesterday, but by the time I got there, it was a good soaking drizzle. By the time I threw my first loop, it was a driving rain. Found out my hat isn't as waterproof as Orvis thought it would be (gonna see what they have to say about that), and had the neat experience of seeing a raccoon fishing in the rain with me, just upstream at the tail of the next pool.

Right off the bat, I could tell it was much harder to keep track of my fly amid all the drops hitting the water. Usually, though, it took a direct hit to sink or upset the fly. I thought that a small trout's rise would be lost in the surface "chop", but the rises I got were easily detectable in all situations.

For now, I'll blame the lack of solid hooksets on my decision to switch from 2X fine #14s to standard weight #12s.

Do you guys still use dries in the rain? If so, do you alter tactics at all? I think the hatch was heavier in the rain, and I saw lots of mayflies, including slate drakes, two different sulphurs (invaria and dorothea?), some kind of BWO, something big and tan (bigger than invaria, smaller than slate drake), and something bright red, with light dun wings...probably about a #16. All of these were hatching in good numbers, and I even watched two get eaten after being shot down by a raindrop or something.

I've noticed my casting is also improving by spending all this time on a small stream. I'm still not able to do an aerial mend, no way, no how, but I do well enough with drift mending and a weird dragging/fading cast across the stream that aerial mending hasn't been necessary except for an occasional wiggle-cast if I'm fishign downstream (a rarity). Still, this is MUCH better than when I began, nearly a year ago...I can go out in the evening, fish for 2-3 hours, and NOT lose 20 feet of tippet and a leader.

Finally, I've been using a Blue Sky mono furled leader. It's an awesome leader for this use. While I felt it was no better or worse than a regular mono tapered leader for nymphing, this thing is exactly what I want in a dry fly leader. My question is, for any who also use them, is how do you dress them? I've been greasing mine with a bit of Orvis Hy-Flote at the beginning of each outing, and this works, but it wears off after a few hours, especially if the fishing's good. I think next I'll try some Mucilin, as that's what I've read many are using on them. Thoughts?

dano
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/05 08:53:37 (permalink)
Cold,
 Fishing in the rain can be frustrating. The trick is to keep your fly floating but it gets tough with wet hands and all. I keep a small towel stuffed down my waders. I have a couple of foam thoraxed sulphur spinners which helped slightly.
I'm a big baby so if the rain is heavy, I wait it out under cover.
Those cool days with light rain can lead to great fishing. That's when you need to get out on the water early. Last week, the afternoons by far out did the evenings in terms of top feeding trout. In fact, the last week and a half was the best dry fly fishing of the year, morning till night.

Big and tan are probably either March Browns(tan belly) or Gray Fox(pale yellow belly)
Those red mayflies could be Epeorus Vitreus or pink cahills. The female spinner has a reddish pink hue.
It's getting to that time of year when the fish seem to get smarter. Watch your drift. Sometimes that first bit of micro drag will put the fish into high alert.   Also, the fish rising in the riffles will be easier to game than those in flatter water.
dano
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/05 09:42:32 (permalink)
I've tried tying off the hackle on the post, struggled with it and quit.
I went back to tying them off at the front of the hook by lifting the stem up and back and cutting with a fine pointed pair of scissors. I put a drop of head cement on the hackled section of post and at the head of the fly.
 On larger flies I have room to tie off the finished hackle at the shank and then dub the front of the thorax.
Or, make it easier on yourself and tie Comparaduns or CDC Comparaduns. Once you get the hang of it, you can knock out a bunch in short order.
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/05 10:19:44 (permalink)
when fishing dries in the rain i find it's best to drop the fly right on the riser this way he sees it land and doesn't have to look for it between rain drops. also skating and stopping a dry on a windy rainy day can be very productive.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/05 11:46:35 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dano

I've tried tying off the hackle on the post, struggled with it and quit.
I went back to tying them off at the front of the hook by lifting the stem up and back and cutting with a fine pointed pair of scissors. I put a drop of head cement on the hackled section of post and at the head of the fly.

I tie the hackle feather off on the hookshank, too. It makes parachutes more durable.
post edited by thedrake - 2009/06/05 11:47:04
jimhalupka
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1058
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/05 12:35:34 (permalink)
cold,

I'm fairly new to fishing dries too, you overshoot your casts at all?  I find this the easiest way to get drag free drifts. After I overshoot, I pull some tippet back, and let it go.
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/05 14:13:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jimhalupka

cold,

I'm fairly new to fishing dries too, you overshoot your casts at all?  I find this the easiest way to get drag free drifts. After I overshoot, I pull some tippet back, and let it go.

Can you be a little more descriptive? I'm not sure what you mean.
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/08 08:27:31 (permalink)
Well, I was talking to the owner of my FLFS and he told me that the tiny browns I've been catching are indeed stocked fish. I believe it was a state effort to actually get some resident big browns in the stream, which gets regular stockings (so they're not displacing natives). I told him about the one I'd caught and he suggested that, since they've been doing this for 3-4 years, its either one of their small browns that took hold and has been growing in there for a while, or it's a traveler from upstream, where a club stocks the stream with big browns in late fall for more interesting winter fishing.

Last night I headed upstream rather than down, getting farther up that I've been before in this section. Found some nice water, and ended they day a surprisingly deep, slow pool. I managed to get a snag just in time for darkness to begin creeping in, a few spinners to begin flight at the tail of the pool, and for the trout in the pool to come up for some twilight feeding. By the time I managed to re-tippet and re-tie, I only had time for a few casts before it was time to go. There were two trout working the head of the pool, small ones by the sounds and splashes made, and a bigger one just downstream of me, slurping...something...off the surface without any sort of rhythm or consistency. He'd lie in wait for several minutes, only to rise three times in thirty seconds, then back to waiting.

I made a few casts to him with no results. The pool was too slow to get a good drift, and the angle i needed for casting was opposite the angle I wanted for stealth. Eventually, it was almost dark, and, with a long walk back to the car, I decided to make a last cast. Breaking all the dry fly conventions, I cast straight out across the slow pool, and just towed the #14 para-adams back toward me slowly, making tiny wakes in the glassy pool. All at once, a hump appeared behind the fly and then it disappeared in a splashy take, almost like a bass taking a jitterbug. For the second time in a week, I found myself attached to a large trout in a small stream in the dark.

After a fun battle on a 3 wt, I brought the 15" rainbow to the net, the calf body hair parachute sticking out of the side of his mouth.

From this and other fish, I'm starting to think that this little stream holds big fish in many of the deep pools, with the smaller ones occupying the fast water and the shallower pools. The bigger fish are the norm down lower, even as near as 1/4 mile, but up here, they only care to hold in deeper water.

Of course, as I turned to leave, I reached for my flashlight, suddenly remembering with crystal clarity, a mental image of transferring it into my day-pack for the camping trip the night before. So I spent the next half hour or so stumbling around in the darkness, working my way back to the car.

Still, managing to locate and raise another of the larger trout in that stream was worth it.
duncsdad
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 515
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/08 10:39:27 (permalink)
Cold,

Now you're hooked.  Good job on building on what was presented to you.

As for the dark thing, I came climbing out of the Little J the other night at about 10 PM.  When I stepped up on the road, a pick-up truck stopped and the guy said -- "What the hell are you doing?  Don't you know its dark out?"

Little did he know.  Little did he know.

I have one of those little LED lights that stays clipped to the inside of my vest for just such occassions.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/08 11:28:44 (permalink)
Now you're hooked. Good job on building on what was presented to you.

Thanks.

I AM hooked! I tried dries within two months of first touching a fly rod last summer and combined with learning to cast, read streams, and learn knots, it was all just too much. I fished them with only two refusals in terms of interest and due to my shoddy casting, I'd only get a half-dozen drifts with them before they were waterlogged. The whole experience kind of intimidated me, and I'd stayed away from dries ever since. Now, with the motions of casting committed to muscle memory, and stream-reading a more routine, if challenging, proposition, as well as tying my own flies...learning to fish dries is much more fun, now that I've got the fundamentals down as a foundation to build on.

When I stepped up on the road, a pick-up truck stopped and the guy said -- "What the hell are you doing? Don't you know its dark out?"

Heh...you should have paused for a moment, looked at the sky, then did your best imitation of "snapping out of it".

"Hmm?...OH! Wow! It IS dark! Geez, thanks buddy, I owe ya one!"

Then walk away muttering about how it really is dark.

I have one of those little LED lights that stays clipped to the inside of my vest for just such occassions.

I've got a LED light on an elastic headband that worked great with a baseball cap. I've since converted to a full brim hat, but the light works well enough just hung around my neck. I also have a red LED light that clips to a hat brim, but I havent tried it with this hat yet.
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/10 08:51:05 (permalink)
Just when you think you've got their number...the trout show you how little you really know...

I fished some sloooooow water last night, and got only 2 "takes", which I think were really just very polite refusals. In the evening the fish were...kind of rising? They'd get real high in the water, to the point that their dorsal fin, tail, and back in between were all poking out of the water, but their nose was still underneath. Then they'd..."swerve" about 6" to one side or the other, then back down deeper into the water. A minute or so later, and they were back to the top, drying their backs.

Most times, their mouths never did clear the water, so I figured dries were out. I thought maybe emergers of some sort, and DID end up getting one on a slow swung partridge & peacock soft hackle, but they didnt really respond very well to that either.

It seemed pretty weird behavior to me. Any ideas? I also considered "drowning" a dry fly to drift by, but never got around to it.
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/10 10:31:23 (permalink)
LLBean makes a baseball style cap with two headlights in the brim. it works slick and you don't feel the extra weight of the small watch battery in the back switch.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

dano
Pro Angler
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/10 11:19:08 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Cold

Just when you think you've got their number...the trout show you how little you really know...

I fished some sloooooow water last night, and got only 2 "takes", which I think were really just very polite refusals. In the evening the fish were...kind of rising? They'd get real high in the water, to the point that their dorsal fin, tail, and back in between were all poking out of the water, but their nose was still underneath. Then they'd..."swerve" about 6" to one side or the other, then back down deeper into the water. A minute or so later, and they were back to the top, drying their backs.

Most times, their mouths never did clear the water, so I figured dries were out. I thought maybe emergers of some sort, and DID end up getting one on a slow swung partridge & peacock soft hackle, but they didnt really respond very well to that either.

It seemed pretty weird behavior to me. Any ideas? I also considered "drowning" a dry fly to drift by, but never got around to it.

Looks like the fish found something safe to eat.
get yourself a little aquarium or minnow net and start seining.
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6360
RE: Dry Fly Fishing Basics 2009/06/10 11:30:56 (permalink)
Sounds to me like the fish were feeding on some emergers or wigglers just under the surface.  Maybe some dead post-spawners.  I  would have tied on a soft hackle mosquito and let it drift about 6" down.  (Grease the leader really well with chapstick)  or a peacock soft hackle the same way. In about 14-16.
     If that failed I'd use an M-80.    No, not really just wanted to get a rise. 

Illegitimis Non carborundum
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to: