Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
HookLineSinker
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 322
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/26 23:55:46 (permalink)

Crazy day on the golf course

I couldn't believe my eyes. And I swear every word typed is true.

As my friend and I are waiting to tee off on the 2nd hole, a course employee starts to chase down 4 geese with his golf cart. Three get away, but he manages to pin one up against a fence and tree. With the goose stunned and hurt, he proceeds to back up and try to smush the bird 4 more times. With the goose maimed, he drives off. My jaw is literally on the ground in surprise.
   So, we tee off. Walking down the fairway, I glance at the bird. It's still alive, but in shock, with wings sticking in every direction. We notice the employee driving back in our vicinity, and flag him down. My buddy asked him why he just did what he did. Response:"Mind your own business." A few choice words are exchanged, and he drives off.
   As we're waiting to tee off on the 7th hole, we notice the same guy in his cart just off the fairway where we intend to hit. But he's not alone. He's got a woman in the cart. So we tee off. As we're walking down the fairway, he drives up to us and they both get out.
   The woman comes up to me and starts to explain to me what a problem geese are to a golf course, and that this a necessary thing to do. My response: "First off, I paid my hard earned money to play a relaxing round of golf, and I'm subject to watching this guy ramming a goose into a fence. Next, last time I checked, this is an illegal act. And finally, we have this on video and we're going to let this out. (Unfortunately, we didn't have a video camera with us).
   Now the lady is sweating. She asks me, "What are you, a goose hugger?" I wished her luck in the criminal court proceedings, and we finished our round of golf with no more distractions.

thoughts, comments?

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.

33 Replies Related Threads

REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 00:57:51 (permalink)
    First - Report this to ENCON ASAP...
    Second - what was the name of the Golf Course - so we can call then and let them know we won't play golf there w/ the way they treat the wildlife- Goose are good on the table as well as in the wild ... but what they did was very illegal !
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 05:53:22 (permalink)
    Did Hook get any birdies or just the employee?   badaboom <crash>
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 06:27:23 (permalink)
    Unless they gave you a goose breast turn em in!!

You may find our resident golf expert (Jimmy) has some input.

They truly are a nuisance and make a mess but they shouldn't do that stuff in front of golfers!!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 08:19:09 (permalink)
    Yeah, welcome to my world...  I just spoke for three hours at a Canada Goose Symposium to all the NY State Park Managers.  The birds are a serious problem, and are no longer migrating as they should since we have created perfectly manicured lawn alongside nearly every waterbody in the state.

The droppings are acidic enough to burn greens and fairways on golf courses, and toxic enough to close many public beaches on Long Island.  It's a near crisis, I assure you.  The birds are now allowed by Federal USFWS laws to be harrassed (negative association and aversion) as much as property managers wish, while not touching them.  A free permit may now be obtained online from the Fish and Wildlife Service to oil (addle) goose eggs or remove nests without punishment.  The fertilizer, chemical and labor that goes into repairing goose damage is trememndous, so many managers want the birds gone.

Truth is, the Canada Goose was nearly extirpated by the early 1960s.  Now they have taken over!

The cruishing of a bird with a golf cart is something I try to steer course superintendents away from.  But many guys are still out there shooting them at 5am, trying to poison them or otherwise being idiots.  I know several who lost their jobs because of their tactics against the Geese.  Most effective way to deter Canada Geese from settling on your property?  Buy a Border Colie and let 'er rip each morning.

Eventually the Geese will get annoyed enough that they will move over to your neighbors property.  But if you leave for two or three days, they will come back and take over.  Remote-control boats are effective on the water, but only to a degree.  These stupid birds keep me awake at night, and are a really serious ecological issue we created.  I think Canada Geese suck...  But no one should run them over or anything.

Wanna' hit the links sometime soon, Doug?

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    kjo43
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 08:32:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Neversink Jimmy
     I think Canada Geese suck...  But no one should run them over or anything.

well said!  I hope the incident gets reported.
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 09:23:05 (permalink)
    The golf course was Clifton Knolls Golf on Barney Road in Clifton Par. A par 3 course.

Anyone got a # to ENCON?

And yes Jimmy, let's get out and golf soon.
    post edited by HookLineSinker - 2009/05/27 10:07:24

ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 124
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 11:03:48 (permalink)
    About a month ago in my fishin' spot a guy came down with 3 dogs. he blew a whistle a said a few commands and the dogs sprang into action. one went down by the shore, another along the fence behind us, and the other just up the shore a bit. the guy said another command and they all bolted towards a few geese that were hanging out nearby, we didn't see anymore geese down there that day. I don't know if he was paid by the town or not, but he said the dogs were specially trained and they go around the town chasing the geese away.

Buuuuuut they came back. Just last week I cast my line out, and before it even hit the bottom a goose came swooping down to land in the water. He hit my line, got it wrapped around his wing, and in his attempt to escape he managed to get my line tangled up in my other pole which was already cast out.
    after he pulled out some line I flipped over my baitrunner and let him get up on shore where my buddy cut my line. I was able to save one of the 2 rigs he had tangled up, but lost the other. And the goose swam away looking all ****y.
    So that's my new PB goose, probably a 10 lber!!!
    Needless to say.... I hate them dern critters
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 12:15:35 (permalink)
    Wow that is f'd up man , i too think they are a pain in the****and need to be removed but NOT by those means !! I would have called right from the course and could have cared less if the course owner was right there in front of me.

No animals (or on lookers) should be subject to that treatment. And i'm a hunter too. I have no problem it they are taken out in a humane manor.

---

I golf too guys, when you going ??
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 12:21:55 (permalink)
    Yeah- the dude you saw was surely one of the many forms of "Geese Police" contracted by a lot of towns to try to dissuade the Canada Geese from settling into their local shoreline areas.  The dogs (typically Border Collies) are pretty effective, but as you mentioned, the day you stop with the harrassment is the day all the geese come back.  I've got three homeowners associations I work with that all hate each other because they spend all day chasing geese off their lake.  And then the geese go to the lake next door.  And basically everyone is paying all this money and spending all this time just shooing the birds in one big circle everyday.

Just about every town Public Works Dept deals with goose problems now, and it is a pretty 'hush hush' situation since the unknowing public would be all up in arms.  Truth is, when I looked into trying to work with Collins Park in Scotia I learned that they are shooting their geese legally there. 

But no one knows about it.  Look it up (even online I am sure) and you will find plenty of information about all that!  Albany Airport shotos 'em too...  But for safety reasons.  Once the plane crashed into the Hudson last winter from the double Goose-strike, New York State pretty much declared 'open season' on them.

You still need a permit, but it is a joke.  Just go online, print out a tag, and you can pretty much lay waste to them.  Most other birds are managed under the Migratory Bird Act, but Canada Goose are so hated that they are losing more and more protection everyday.  Fertilizer has risen 300% in the past 12 months, and no one wants these birds creating problems that require money and labor to fix.  What a nightmare.

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 12:33:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: HookLineSinker

The golf course was Clifton Knolls Golf on Barney Road in Clifton Par. A par 3 course.

Anyone got a # to ENCON?

And yes Jimmy, let's get out and golf soon.

Here is the link to the DEC TIPPS page with number and instructions for making a report...http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/393.html

Just a little info on deterring geese. Last summer I work at a local course, not on the course in the club house. I did however have contact with the heads greens keeper. He tried several things to get rid of geese, including chasing them around with a canoe (funny as hell, guess you had to be there...lol). What he came up with and seemed to work very well was going to****s and buying those coyote decoys/targets.
    post edited by Wisdom - 2009/05/27 13:22:32

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 12:44:36 (permalink)
    I wish he would have killed all four. Certainly they shouldn't be tortured, so buckshot would have been a better method, but they need to be taken care of. Would you hesitate to step on a rat you saw in your garage? Geese are rats with wings.

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 13:05:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy

I wish he would have killed all four. Certainly they shouldn't be tortured, so buckshot would have been a better method, but they need to be taken care of. Would you hesitate to step on a rat you saw in your garage? Geese are rats with wings.
    I see you like quotes. Here is one for you....

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
         -Samuel Langhorne Clemens, "Mark Twain"

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 13:11:40 (permalink)
    Wisdom said "Just a little info on deterring geese. Last summer I work at a local coarse, not on the coarse in the club house. I did however have contact with the heads greens keeper. He tried several things to get rid of geese, including chasing them around with a canoe (funny as hell, guess you had to be there...lol). What he came up with and seemed to work very well was going to****s and buying those coyote decoys/targets."

Maybe you should learn to correctly spell the name of the place at which you work before you criticize others' opinions. Was it rough, like sandpaper? Or was it rough, like a Brillo pad? The name is somewhat ironic, but I guess you can still be wise even if you don't know the difference between heterographic homophones...

Geese are rats with wings.
    post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/05/27 13:17:55

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 13:33:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy

Maybe you should learn to correctly spell the name of the place at which you work before you criticize others' opinions. Was it rough, like sandpaper? Or was it rough, like a Brillo pad? The name is somewhat ironic, but I guess you can still be wise even if you don't know the difference between heterographic homophones...

Geese are rats with wings.
    Here is another one for you...
    "I'd challenge you to a battle of wits but I'm afraid that I'd be fighting an unarmed opponent."

HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 14:15:59 (permalink)
    ENCON notified, summons written. He will have his day in court. Also, look for me on the CBS 5:30 news tonight.

Cowboy, yes they are pests. But I didn't appreciate having to see that sight while trying to enjoy a round of golf with a friend. There are  children and elderly who play this tiny course. Shootem after hours, fine.

Honestly, the only reason I persued this is because they were extremely rude to us after the incident. All they needed to do was apologize for interupting our round of golf, and give us a free round of golf in the future, and it would have been squashed. But they had to be asses about the whole thing. So they're getting what they deserve.

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 14:20:27 (permalink)
    Yeah, you're right, Wisdom. I give up. Sorry for wasting your valuable time. I was overmatched to begin with. At least I learned my lesson. Bye the way, in case I failed to mention it before, geese are rats with wings.

Hook, I can definitely see your point. It is never right to make an animal suffer and they should have been shot after club hours. Maybe it was a case of poor judgement, poor manners, and poor business acumen, but in my opinion, I would have looked at it the same way as the groundskeeper stepping on a rat in front of you. Was it in bad taste? Probably.
    post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/05/27 14:25:24

- T. Fleming
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 14:32:00 (permalink)
    Dougie, way to save the planet, Brother!

I think we've all learned a valuable lesson from this:  Don't play Par 3 courses if you are over the age of 16...

While they are a great test of true golf skills, there is nothing better than getting a hold of a tee shot on a nice long Par 5 and crushing it 250 yards. 

My only complaint is making the two mile walk into the woods where my tee shot landed. 

(For the record- you might remember that tasty Goose jerky that Perch brough to the party last August.  I remember taking a bit of that stuff and proclaiming "all my goose problems are solved!  Eat the mutha's!")

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 17:40:23 (permalink)
    Just saw your mug on the tv Doug ... WTG man !

Ther are going to charge him with taking waterfowl out of season ???? So i guess when they are in season he can run over all he wants ?!??!??! I don't get it.

Oh well , i'm sure that new cast will not help bussiness.

And is that really your last name ? How funny man !!!

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 17:44:22 (permalink)
    Man I hate to say but this forum is kinda funny, not seeing that sh&% on a course, but geese are a serious problem. My one former boss, a fisheries biologist, basically once said the geese are starting to fill in our small lakes and ponds with their sh*%.

not an animal hater but we took away their predators and have created perfect habitats for them, like golf courses, we gotta do something.

Man I love the geese police, their everywhere in new jersey. Maybe I should look for a career change, run around golf courses all day with my dog doesn't sound bad.

Some places even put fake alligator heads in ponds, and it works! For about a day anyway.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 17:47:01 (permalink)
    LMAO!! yea look for mine while your there neversink. Love the golf myself.
    Its really odd commin from the south where so many spend millions gettin ready for goose season to open. where they will spend 30,000 a year for membership at some of these goose hunting lands down there just to get a few geese every year then come up here and see them on the front lawn, one mans rat another mans feast. Lets face it they do what geese do it is the nature of the animal. Guess if they could talk they would be saying "these f..ing people allways botherin us whish there was some way to shoo them away. lol although a real newsance I would drather have them as a problem than not have them at all. I still love seeing a flock of geese calling and flyin soth for the winter against a setting sun on a cool fall day. and thats worth a little pain in the****from them ever once in a while.
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 17:53:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bassinbrian

Just saw your mug on the tv Doug ... WTG man !

Ther are going to charge him with taking waterfowl out of season ???? So i guess when they are in season he can run over all he wants ?!??!??! I don't get it.

Oh well , i'm sure that new cast will not help bussiness.

And is that really your last name ? How funny man !!!

WTG Doug, just saw you too! As far as running them over in season, that would be hunting without a license...lol

ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 124
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 18:36:24 (permalink)
    I saw you on the news too. I have to say that was some pretty swift action, it happened yesterday and today it was on the news.
    Good job. As much as the geese **** me off, those guys just went about it completely the WRONG way!!
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 19:34:58 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/27 20:32:09 (permalink)
    I'm on the fence on this...

I understand your feelings, concerns & thoughts.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/28 05:35:24 (permalink)
    Encon needs to find a legal way to deal with them to avoid stuff like this.

About 10 years ago the cormorants were devastating the smallmouth bass fishery on Ontario..........a group of locals approached Encon who did nothing.......so all of the locals kicked in for 10,000 rounds of shotgun shells, went to their breeding grounds on July 4 (to cover the noise) and shot thousands of them. My friend's dad was one of them and got caught....he was a local hero!

Now....Encon oils the eggs and kills them.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/28 06:22:38 (permalink)

yea Ship that’s why I remain kinda neutral on this. It was the steelhead & salmon smolts in the Oswego harbor. When stocked the cormorants would scoop them up as soon as they were dumped in. Dec also went to off shore barge stocking to help that as well.

Loons are another issue to me, they eat tons of brookies, some like them , others don't.
    Pickerel can also drive people crazy. The list is long as well as the issues people create.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/05/28 11:27:12 (permalink)
    Yeah, thats what's funny to me too...  When I presented in Westchester at a Canada Goose Control Symposium a few weeks ago, all my fellow colleagues were either from then DEC, USFWA, or the USDA-Wildlife Services.

The DEC actually hosted the conference, and it was amazing how easy it is to get a permit to kill geese at will.  There was no 'pulling punches' in the psuh for property managers to handle the problem on their own.  Just print out a permit and go for it!  Three years ago it was really tough- but they have relaxed EVERYTHING to do with goose control.  The Feds used to manage the whole thing (Migratory Bird Act Protection Status) but now they have given that responsibiltiy to individual states.  The problems vary a ton between states and regions (as Mr. Jigs pointed out).

But then the DEC comes on super strong at an offender tlike this.  Granted, the course employee was FAR in the wrong on this matter, but I can assure you the DEC is all about getting these Canada Geese back to a managable population size. 

The newscasters are all so into sensationalization it is crazy...  The "Federal Protection" they speak of is non-existant with these birds, and it is easier to get a permit to kill them by the dozen than it is to get a fishing license.   Here is all the information you need from DEC:  http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7003.html

Print yourself out a permit and have fun!

Truth is- the 'control' now is pretty much done for the season.  You've got to get the nests out by mid-April or you lost the battle.  I guess the Clifton Knolls guys don't know much about geese.  Or public relations
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/06/09 08:35:11 (permalink)
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Crazy day on the golf course 2009/06/09 10:33:13 (permalink)
    I'm calling the GOOSE BUSTERS!!!!!!!!!!  LOL  It's my new company !! I'll take care of them and make some jerky out of them!!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: