Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
royhandy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/22 09:34:18 (permalink)

Stupid general trout questions

My wife and I have licenses.  Our children are too young to need a license.  If we go out for trout are all four of us allowed to keep a limit of fish?  This is not a major concern since it will *never* happen!  None of us are that good at catching trout.

Also, do we each need to keep our own stringer?

I know these are pretty dumb questions but I've never thought about them before. 

33 Replies Related Threads

dozer
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/22 09:38:16 (permalink)
    dont say never
    fruntz
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/22 09:57:11 (permalink)

If you go by the regs; Yes.
    If you go by teaching your children true sport and fun of fishing and not being greedy, HELL  NO!
    What in the world would you do with 24 trout.  Thrown them out with freezer burn afer two months or in the middle of the winter when you discover them in the back of the freezer when you're going to look for room for the turkey for Turkey day in nov.
    Start teaching the kid C&R and they'll be better fishermen in the long run.
    P.S. please do not take this as preaching because I'll keep one or two every once in a while (if I'm lucky enough to get them) for myself and take to my 90 year old uncle.
    Remember to remember those who died for your freedom this weekend! 

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/22 10:19:12 (permalink)
    each person is allowed to have their own limit and should be on a seperate stringer unless you tag who's fish is who's on one stringer. remember, whoever catches the trout is who's fish it is.
     good luck!

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/22 10:24:54 (permalink)
    royhandy -

yes, each of you can keep a limit.  and your total limit would be 20, not 24, for four people.  five a day per person.  if you're cooking a full meal, one trout each - maybe two for the adults - would be plenty.  might be good to keep 5 or 6 at first to see if your family actually likes them.  as fruntz said, no need to keep a whole bunch and end up throwing them away later.

you need to each have your own stringer. 

any other questions you have, you can find the info here: http://www.fish.state.pa.us/regs_fish.htm

have fun!
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/22 10:40:49 (permalink)
    Don't forget you need a trout stamp.
    royhandy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/22 11:29:26 (permalink)
    Thanks for the answers.  I generally fish for bass and when I do it's always C&R.  We went fishing last year and my daughter caught a little rainbow on her first cast.  I hadn't kept and cleaned a fish in probably 10 years.  I did that day and now all she wants to do is fish for trout.  (That little guy was delicious!)

I agree about not being greedy.  I'll just tell them the limit is 5 per licensed angler! 
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/22 12:27:01 (permalink)
    Keep whatever the kids will eat, man, and dont feel the least bit bad about it. These guys are pretty much giving you exactly what you need to know here, I hope ya slam em! If you like the taste of trout (I do), I'm sure you could certainly justify keeping a dozen or more to make 2-3 good meals for the family. The trout are put there for our enjoyment. You pay for em, after all. If part of your enjoyment is eating them, more power to ya! It's not like you're gonna make the Pennsylvania Crick Pellethead and endagered species.
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/22 13:12:16 (permalink)
    Its somewhat rare, but I agree with you, Cold. If you're going to eat them, keep as many as the law allows. You paid for them and either they will die or someone else will keep them.
    post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/05/22 13:25:43

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/22 13:17:33 (permalink)
    It somewhat rare, but I agree with you, Cold.

Aint it the truth!
    Swans500
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 329
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/22 13:37:29 (permalink)
    You paid for them and either they will die or someone else will keep them.

So true, particularly by this time of year. Go for it. I will be.
    Puffy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/27 09:38:14 (permalink)
    Honest to Pete !!!  If you and your family want to keep the fish, go right ahead, and don't feel the least bit "guilty" fer cryin out loud.   I'm sure you aren't taking them to some Class A Wild Trout stream.  I for one, keep Trout, and can't stand to eat one.  My family on the other hand, eats the heck out of them, and the rest get shipped to Va. Beach to my in-laws who think they are getting Lobster. 

...... and by the way, I'm trying to think of what part of C&R actually makes one "a better fisherman".
    Swans500
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 329
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/27 17:13:55 (permalink)
    ...... and by the way, I'm trying to think of what part of C&R actually makes one "a better fisherman".

Apparently it is the code of the TRUE sportsman....the REAL talents amongst us peasants!
    Marklu
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/27 17:29:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

Keep whatever the kids will eat, man, and dont feel the least bit bad about it. These guys are pretty much giving you exactly what you need to know here, I hope ya slam em! If you like the taste of trout (I do), I'm sure you could certainly justify keeping a dozen or more to make 2-3 good meals for the family. The trout are put there for our enjoyment. You pay for em, after all. If part of your enjoyment is eating them, more power to ya! It's not like you're gonna make the Pennsylvania Crick Pellethead and endagered species.

I still trying to figure out how the heck 12 PA trout equates to 2-3 "GOOD meals" for 4???

Where do you think you are fishing?  The Norfork or White River in Arkansas' Ozarks?

3 meals = 1 trout per person, ha, even 2 meals is just 2 each per adult and 1 per kid.  That is laughable.
    post edited by Marklu - 2009/05/27 17:35:18
    Rnglgdj
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/27 20:35:40 (permalink)
    To Puffy

After all the fish are taken out, what do you fish for?  Or do you stock your bath tub and fish there???

Chances are you have the money to buy some fish to eat, but I don't think the average guy/gal has the money to stock a stream or lake.

JMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    post edited by Rnglgdj - 2009/05/27 20:36:44
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/27 22:01:12 (permalink)
    It's not always, but usually, the dudes keeping fish every outing who are crying the PFABC does a horrible job. 

I catch and release with distance... downstream, so I can find some fish come early July
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/27 22:51:02 (permalink)
    The vast majority of stocked trout waters in PA get too warm in the summer for the trout to live in or to stay in.  They will begin to run downstream till they find a river with a hole deep and cold enough to sit all summer. 

I hate people that keep their limit every time they go out, from the first day on, but it is late season and the fish need to be pulled out or they will be lost.  It's not like the fish that leave the streams are going to come back and spawn, it is a put and take fishery for trout.

encourage those kids to catch and keep all they want this time of year.

Try fishing live minnows, hooked through the lips, with a size 10 hook, on a fluorocarbon leader with a float and enough splitshot to get the minnow down to the level of the fish.  The kids will do well.

Good luck. :)

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/27 23:36:41 (permalink)

If you fish in the fall and know your water, you'd be suprised
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/28 00:23:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jimhalupka

If you fish in the fall and know your water, you'd be suprised

Very.

To say nothing of mid- and late-summer. Tougher fishing, certainly, but they're there.
    Puffy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/28 07:36:52 (permalink)
    To Puffy

After all the fish are taken out, what do you fish for?  Or do you stock your bath tub and fish there???

I'm certainly not against the practice of C&R, but I won't admonish those that keep Trout.  It is simply put and take for the most part, and most western PA streams (non-mountainous) cannot holdover Trout.  Kids especially like to see the little fishies on the stringers.  Reckon some big burly men also like to see the little fishies on the stringers.
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/28 15:03:01 (permalink)
    So it's more ethical to rope a fish rather than give it a chance to survive?

The wild fish are the aftermath of previously stocked trout who found places to survive and reproduce.  Go to a small trib of one of the streams that the state stocks and explore it.
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/28 18:32:21 (permalink)
    jim,  this isn't an ethics discussion really.  The reality is that the majority of stocked waters are not good summer waters for trout.  Sure, a few will survive, but only a small portion.  And you are out of your mind if you think any of the state stockies are gonna reproduce.  I believe in catch and release for all native and wild fish, but the stockies are simply not viable in the numbers they stock them, in the streams they stock them.

If you find a stream that is still loaded with stocked trout, PULL SOME OUT.  there is no way that the stream can sustain the population of fish that is stocked, so pulling them out prevents the trout from destroying the rest of the stream's ecological balance. 

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/28 19:03:50 (permalink)
    hcH, you need to get over yourself a little. There's fish in most of those streams all year long, and the guys that keep their limits on a regular basis do plenty to keep the numbers down to a reasonable proportion. If they dont survive, where are the huge trout kills every July when all the trout in streams across the state go belly up?

The reality is that the trout are tougher than many people think. While they prefer cool water, in the summer, instead of just dying, they go find it. You can find trout all summer long if you think like a trout and head for cooler water. Go hike up along the tribs of the stocked creeks, find the underwater springs, the fish are there.

And you are out of your mind if you think any of the state stockies are gonna reproduce.

Explain wild, non-native, trout in Pennsylvania.

hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/28 19:50:00 (permalink)
    i live right next to a class A trout stream and as soon as the water hits the mid 60s, the fish all run for the conemaugh river and disappear.  any stream that is not spring fed will not adequately support stocked trout.  I know, I see it every year.  The streams that ARE spring fed are usually too small to support (provide food for) 10-15" fish.  Of course there are exceptions, but I am correct for the majority of cases. 

And you can't tell me that all the ponds and 'lakes' the state stocks are going to remain cool all summer.  the fish go to the bottom and go dormant.  Thus, my opinion is that I support and encourage harvesting of them in may.

Wild, non-stocked fish in PA are species like bass, perch, catfish...all the other game fish that are abundant in so many areas and make for better summer fishing than a handfull of dormant trout or 5" native brookies. 

The bass have started hitting in the river, so that is where I will be spending my time now. Chasing big bass and 13" perch.  30+ a day of them is way better than 2-5 lazy summer trout, in my own oppinion.  You are welcome to enjoy whatever type of fishing you choose to do.  I am just glad that we live in an area where this discussion is even possible and relevant.

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/28 20:55:40 (permalink)
    Its a real crime that any stocked trout swims up a trib to find cooler water.  Once there, due to their size, they will outcompete native brookies until the stream can't support their appetite any more (unless they're too dumb to recognize real food over dog food).  Its even worse if they do reproduce.  There is nothing worse than a colony of wild browns, rainbows, or even brookies taking over a native brookie stream.  Just for that reason alone, you should keep the limit, if you are anywhere near a watershed that has native brookies.
    post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/05/28 21:19:02

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/28 21:40:41 (permalink)
    hiclass,

Brook trout are the only native species of in PA, therefore, wild browns, rainbows, and yes, wild brook trout have to of been introduced and somehow sustained their population, so before you go belittling, check your facts
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/29 00:14:55 (permalink)
    jim,

what are you talking about???

of course other species of trout have been able to spawn in certain areas, I acknowledged already that there are streams that are big enough to support significant native trout populations, but that is not the crux of the argument.  The POINT, good sir, is that most stocked streams are stocked for a reason:  THEY DO NOT HOLD NATIVES OF THEIR OWN. 

any stream that does have naturally reproducing populations of trout, must be stocked with all brook trout, to avoid encroachment from the non-native species. 

So if you fish in a stream with any stockies that are not brookies, then there is no native reproduction in the stream.  If there is no native reproduction in the stream, it is b/c the stream is not suitable for year round trout population and spawning.  THUS, my stance on harvestation is substantiated.

I would like to see how you can possibley argue with any of that logic.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/29 00:33:02 (permalink)
    And you are out of your mind if you think any of the state stockies are gonna reproduce.

of course other species of trout have been able to spawn in certain areas

Logic FAIL. Go take your meds.

i live right next to a class A trout stream and as soon as the water hits the mid 60s, the fish all run for the conemaugh river and disappear

Gotta watch that conemaugh water...it dissolves live trout and they disappear.

the fish go to the bottom and go dormant. Thus, my opinion is that I support and encourage harvesting of them in may.

Clearly, a dormant trout that YOU cant catch, that will perk up and feed again in 4 months, that you STILL probably wont be able to catch...clearly, that fish might as well be dead.

The POINT, good sir, is that most stocked streams are stocked for a reason: THEY DO NOT HOLD NATIVES OF THEIR OWN.

No. The POINT is, that regardless of whether or not the waterways could support natives (many could), the state HAS TO stock, to support this vicious cycle of put and take that its started. Love it or hate it, thats how 95% of the state's trout waters work.

I would like to see how you can possibley argue with any of that logic.

Explain wild (non-native) brookies. Explain the WILD (not native) brook trout enhancement waters. Explain how, if all trout simply die on Memorial day, we have the term Holdover. Explain why I, and many others, have managed to have summers with low, but well-earned numbers of trout brought to hand.

Man, it sounds to me like you either adopt the opinions of people you admire, or you come up with things on your own that sound good to you, without really considering any other possibility. I've seen your other posts and in many areas you seem pretty knowledgeable in other areas, but in this discussion you seem to have some flaws in your reasoning. Dont you think its a little short-sighted to assume that just because trout get really hard to catch in the summer (when you give up and chase easier quarry), that they simply vaporize, never to be seen again?
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/29 00:40:01 (permalink)
    lol cold, forget it dude...

One less person ya know?
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stupid general trout questions 2009/05/29 19:14:46 (permalink)
    Cold,

Your rebuttal is based almost exclusively on sarcastic remarks and opinion.

My arguements are based on facts and observations....

Take a debate class and learn how to debate in a sensable way.

Your next to last paragraph actually substantiates my arguement. You admit that there are low numbers to be caught, which I have said is a possibility in areas. 

The enhancement areas you are trying to get me to explain are among the minority of streams that are cold water year round and have enough forage to support fish populations.  I fished a native bookie stream the opening day and caught 13  of them before i got to waters where the state stocked.  I could see 30 fish in multiple holes.  The stream cannot support those numbers of fish for any length of time or the rest of the stream's ecosystem would collapse.   That is why certain bodies of water need to have fish pulled out in may if there is still alot of fish in the stream. 

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: