Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
trouthater
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 397
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/15 20:24:07 (permalink)

favorite crappie lakes

If you could choose only one lake to catch crappie from what would it be? Not looking for a debate or exact spots. Just curious of lake popularity.

41 Replies Related Threads

nitro 929
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 100
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/15 21:05:16 (permalink)
    Raystown Lake I catch more 13 to 15 inch crappies there than any other lake that I fish.
    chauncy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1298
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/16 08:25:53 (permalink)
    Kentucky lake in april. Slabs galore.
    trouthater
    Expert Angler
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/16 16:58:31 (permalink)
    chauncy, I was up your way on Saturday. Nice lake ya got up there! I cant believe it took me so long to get up there, planning on trying it for crappie once they come in to pre-spawn.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/16 17:15:18 (permalink)
    P.I. bay,I've caught some huge fish the week before trout season,the head of the bay's been good to me,but there are a few other choice spots I like,a few years back Moraine had solid fish in the 12 -14 inch range,did real good though the  ice that winter 01 - 02 but lately can't find the numbers of big ones there.Shennango got some huge white crappie (ice) but I don't fish it any more.
    papermouth
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/16 20:15:56 (permalink)
    i can't pick a favorite. but i sure like reelfoot in april, pymy in may,pinchot in may and anywhere else i can wet a line. i would like to hear more about glendale and raystown if anyone would like to share anything.

thank in advance and keep thinking spring its coming 
    nitro 929
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 100
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/16 21:21:44 (permalink)
    All the crappies that i catch on Glendale are 7 to 9 inches but there is alot of them.  Raystown is a different story I catch alot of big slabs on Raystown  Lake.  I catch at least 2 or 3 16 to 17 inch crappies that go over 2 pound out of Raystown each year.  Good luck everybody
    keneyeam
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/16 22:26:42 (permalink)
    Struble.  100 fish days are normal in May.  Nothing big. But is a numbers place for me.  Great place to take son and his friends. 
    powerun
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/17 13:11:37 (permalink)
    the finger's at edinboro lake. hope we see some soon. a few more warmer day's should do it. i'm getting board with the steelhead .
    trouthater
    Expert Angler
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/20 18:09:29 (permalink)
    Shenango didnt make anyones list? I thought it was a good crappie lake. Plan on trying it seriously in a few weeks.
    papermouth
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/21 12:13:08 (permalink)
    trouthater, i know what you mean. i thought this would be a fun thread, but it seems like it didn't take off. there are so many good lakes it's fun to hear guys talk about them. maybe it will take off.
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/21 14:25:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: trouthater

Shenango didnt make anyones list? I thought it was a good crappie lake. Plan on trying it seriously in a few weeks.

Shenago will never make my list( no matter how many or how big they get) the water is way to polluted for me to fish there. Am surprized the do not glow from there.The amount of crap that makes its way into that lake from the river from Greenville to the mouth is insane.Am seriously shocked nothing is being done about it. Personaly I fish for crappies for food not fun even thought it is fun most of the time. Shenago is not the safest place to eat fish from acording to the fish regs book. To bad it was not alot cleaner as it has awsome potential and realy is a great lake if ya can get past the awfull pollution.

Pymatuning is tops on my list for Crappies year round.

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1882
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/21 19:18:30 (permalink)
    Egg sac,I could never understand why people can eat  tons of crappie from Shenago,it may be most polluted waters there is,I 'd rather eat fish from Lake Ont. than there,some guys will not eat eyes from Erie but will eat all the crappie they get at Shenango.
    Stump Jumper
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/21 21:04:41 (permalink)
    I'm not trying to offend anyone,but can you give reference to the consumption caution from the PFBC.  I have seen it for below the dam wall (shenangp river) but not for the lake.  Where is the pollution happening between the 'clean pymie' and the 'glow in the dark' shenango lake?  Greenville may be a cause but where, no manufactoring, water treatment plant?  Please let me know.  Thanks in advance for all the info.
    bigben7
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 885
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/21 23:51:20 (permalink)
    yep.
    well signature aluminum(previously werner) where i was a laborer at just closed. before getting my job inside the plant i worked as a guard there.we used to cover the water treatment building. so i know first hand that crap is pumped right into little shenango!
    Stump Jumper
    New Angler
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/22 00:18:47 (permalink)
    Waste and pollution untreated from Werner and the DEP did nothing?  Still would like to see the warning from PFBC or DEP.  I think there is pollution in all waters and if it is a health concern, pymie or erie or wilhelm or any where else is bad also.  We are all down stream of something, don't be fooled in thinking that any body of water or farm field or any food in the food chain is completely safe.
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/22 02:32:36 (permalink)
    Here is a link to the health warnings from the Pa fish commision.
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/fishpub/summary/sumconsumption.pdf

Shenango River (Mercer & Lawrence Co.) Shenango Lake dam to mouth( that means entire lake)

Muskellunge, Carp Do Not Eat PCB

1 meal/month PCB
    Largemouth bass, Smallmouth bass, Walleye, Bluegill, Crappie,
    Sunfish, Channel catfish,White sucker

STATEWIDE ADVISORY
    Pennsylvania has issued a general, statewide health advisory for recreationally
    caught sport fish. That advice is that you eat no more than one meal (one-half pound)
    per week of sport fish caught in the state’s waterways. This general advice was issued
    to protect against eating large amounts of fish that have not been tested or that may
    contain unidentified contaminants.

There are no secific warnings for Pymatuning Lake except the standard state wide just in case rule of 52 1/2 lb meals per year.

So looking at the warings its 52 1/2 lb meals( gerneral warning) vs 12 1/2 lb( real deal) per year from Pymatuning to Shenago meaning your likely to be eating fish almost 5 times plus more contaminated from Shenago Lake then from Pymatuning. Also the fact the fish in Pymatuning are clean enough there is no warning is a pretty good indication its alot safer bet.

egg sac
    Expert Angler
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/22 02:38:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Stump Jumper

Waste and pollution untreated from Werner and the DEP did nothing?  Still would like to see the warning from PFBC or DEP.  I think there is pollution in all waters and if it is a health concern, pymie or erie or wilhelm or any where else is bad also.  We are all down stream of something, don't be fooled in thinking that any body of water or farm field or any food in the food chain is completely safe.

its very surprising how many things are looked off when the right people get there pockets lined..sad but very true..If you seen the stuff getting dumped into the upper Niagara river it would shock you. Both my Dad and Step Dad worked for Hooker Chem and they told me about the insane polution dumped every day from there into the river. Ilegal poluting goes on every day all over the country and little is done about it and the fines they get when they get caught are just chump change to the money they make becuase of dumping the waiste polutions. Anyone remmeber the Love cannel deal back in the early 80's? Well I lived in Niagara Falls back then and remmeber how bad it was for them poor people.Was a whopping 30 blocks from my home.

egg sac
    Expert Angler
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/22 02:44:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Big Tuna

Egg sac,I could never understand why people can eat  tons of crappie from Shenago,it may be most polluted waters there is,I 'd rather eat fish from Lake Ont. than there,some guys will not eat eyes from Erie but will eat all the crappie they get at Shenango.

Tell me abvout it..lol. Lake Erie is acualy cleaner today then it was 20 years ago. With Lake erie being such a shallow Lake compaiered to the other 4 great lakes it drains its mass every 2 years or so.Now if we could get Lake Michigan and Lake huron cleaned up more Erie would clean up even more in time.Oh well to each there own. Its sad cause Shenago is a nice Lake.

Stump Jumper
    New Angler
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/22 09:45:10 (permalink)
    Shenango River (Mercer & Lawrence Co.) Shenango Lake dam to mouth( that means entire lake)

Muskellunge, Carp Do Not Eat PCB

1 meal/month PCB
    Largemouth bass, Smallmouth bass, Walleye, Bluegill, Crappie,
    Sunfish, Channel catfish,White sucker

Sorry that was addressed by PFBC and Army Corp that means from the dam wall down stream, call and ask either agency.  Been to many meeting and worked with ShenangoRiver Watchers. 

its very surprising how many things are looked off when the right people get there pockets lined..sad but very true..

Who is to say that didn't happen at Pymie also.....who knows if you are looking for a conspirousy theory.

But seriously, do you think any water is 100% safe?  Pymie, Shenago, Lake Erie? If you do you have your head in the sand.  The state wide advisory is just that state wide. 

Please before making info available to the public contact the agencies, you will see where the boundries are placed (the dam wall,  down stream).  Army Corp of Engineers  (724) 962-5945 or (724) 962-7746 also the PFBC (814)-337-0444 or (717) 705-7800.

Have a great fishing season and hope to see you on the lake.

sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/22 13:29:40 (permalink)
    i understand peoples concerns about eating the fish but there is also the locals by any lake that have been eating fish from the lakes for 50+ years. so how bad could it really hurt you? i have never heard of a death from eating to many fish, but maybe a contributing factor to cancer?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/22 15:07:52 (permalink)
    "Shenango Lake dam to mouth( that means entire lake)"

The dam to the mouth, would NOT include the lake. 

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    jimbo204
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/22 21:11:50 (permalink)
    spoon,
         i can't attest to the condition of the lake water, but the advisory is exactly what you say it is... from the mouth of the river, upstream to the dam.                               jim
    walleye taker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/22 21:39:53 (permalink)
    Gentlemen

The reason Pymatuning lake is not on the consumption list is the lake is high in alkaline. Which in turn keeps the PCB'S and other toxic chemicals pushed down in the mud of the lake. Which means starting with the zoo plankton all the way up through the bait fish and so on, up to the bigger fish the poisons are not being transmitted through the fish as they eat each other. Ever wonder why after fishing and camping pymatuning for about ten days your hands are all ripped up. This is part of the reason the high alkaline. I have a friend who works for the Dep and he said they wish they had more lakes like pymatuning. There are a few others in the state just like pymatuning. I have been eating the fish from pymatuning for almost 35 years and have no problems. And I eat a lot. Well accept for the third eye I have on the back of my neck. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/22 23:50:18 (permalink)
    Do you guys know how these fish from these waters are tested?
    The entire fish is ground up and tested for contaminants.
    How many of you are eating the heads and belly meat/fat?  Probably very few.
    If fish are filleted they are fine.
    The advisories are put into place, by testing the entire fish, because some people eat more than the fillets. 
    Last I heard, they are trying to change the testing standards or process.

As an example, the EPSFA(Erie PA Sport Fishing Association) did a recent study on FILLETS of perch, walleye and steelhead from Lake Erie.  The results showed minute contaminants if any at all.

Ironhed
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/23 17:43:27 (permalink)
    One great place, not mentioned for those in Northern pennsylvania is chautaqua lake, NY.  good enough quantity to make the out of season license worth it.

and I have been told by some that morraine is a great lake for crappies?  but morraine, everyone seems to have either a love OR hate relationship with that lake
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/23 18:59:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jolie

One great place, not mentioned for those in Northern pennsylvania is chautaqua lake, NY.  good enough quantity to make the out of season license worth it.

and I have been told by some that morraine is a great lake for crappies?  but morraine, everyone seems to have either a love OR hate relationship with that lake

I do most of my spring crappie fishing on Chautauqua, mainly because it's a half hour away as opposed to 1 1/2 hours away for Pymy.  Chautauqua wins hands down for quantity, Pymy wins for quality between the two.  I haven't fished Shenango much yet, but that will change as I'm about to open a business in Hermitage, so hopefully I'll get the chance to nail some Shenango slabs.
       As far as smaller lakes go, I always loved Edinboro until the meat hogs overfished the spring run.  A 200 acre lake cannot take that kind of pressure.   Edinboro still has a healthy population of crappie, but the average size is not even close to what it was.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/24 17:31:33 (permalink)
    lake latonka

post edited by doubletaper - 2009/03/24 17:40:09

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3427
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/24 18:45:28 (permalink)
    Latonka is borderline a private lake. Sure I could say my favorite lake is my buddies lake at his house where we get up to 18 inchers, but why? No one else can fish there. So why would I?
    BrookTrout26
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 203
    RE: favorite crappie lakes 2009/03/24 19:07:27 (permalink)
    Latonka doesn't count,,,

Like Pensfan1 said.

Those are nice fish though.

Well lemme edit this I guess the thread is titled Favorite crappie lakes, not favorite PUBLIC crappie lakes. So in that case I guess the 'tonk counts. Haha.
    post edited by BrookTrout26 - 2009/03/24 20:29:09
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: