Less Trout for Pa. in 2009

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
kayak99
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 526
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/05 10:59:09 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SteelPerch

Anyone who eats walleye on a regular basis is nuts IMO.  Those things are so chalked full of mercury and chemicals, I can't imagine anyone willingly eating them once they read up on all of the pollutants that are in them.

Not all walleye come from the Great Lakes.
JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/05 13:43:04 (permalink)
I'd like them to change it to 3 a day limit and increase fall stockings. Its nice to get out on a fall day and have the stream mostly to yourself. Not like the madness of early spring. They should re-open the Tiger trout stocking as well. We need some more variety, how bout some Brookbows & Brownbows as well.  The state does a pretty good job and I really have no complaints, they do stock alot of fish. Pa is one of the most heavily trout stocked states out there. Ohio doesn't even stock any streams with pellet heads, only lakes.
dealinsteel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 318
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/05 14:04:12 (permalink)
hence why a Pa year resident license cost the same as an Ohio year non resident license
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/05 14:42:20 (permalink)
Never said eat bass or muskys...never have never will...

I'll eat 15-22 inch walleyes out of Pymy and some of the inland lakes  every day.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

strandman220
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 140
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/06 19:06:44 (permalink)
Stocking millions of trout in places they never belonged never made much sense to me. It just isnt natural. The only good that can come out of stocking is. Places that can hold a trout population year round. And in this case fingerlings would be the way to go. Also the commish, to this point have been stocking streams with a good to great population of native fish.

If they end stocking. I feel the money could be put to better use.
chrisrowboat
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 688
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/07 08:27:10 (permalink)
IT would be nice to have an access stamp for state wide stream easement procurement along with the trout stamp. An example $7-10 for a trout stamp and $7-10 for an access stamp. the Access stamp could be required on stream/rivers with special regulations and easements.
Pa licenses are a good value and trout stamp/creel limit down right a steal. Especially with a 5 fish creel. I think 3 would be more realistic and still get the marginal fisherman to the stream. Times are changing especially with the current economic turmoil occurring. The PAFBC must be as frugal as a household with both parents unemployed.

Proud to have been a FOT/
I've been out fishing.
Clean your gear/
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/cleanyourgear.htm

walleyenut
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/08 11:14:11 (permalink)
I agree 100% bings. They should start stocking more edible gamefish walleye crappie exc. I haven't kept a trout in 10 years. 
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/08 12:15:41 (permalink)
I should clarify myself a little better...I really don't have anything against trout. Only trout I ever kill or keep goes on the wall...I love to catch them..Pelletheads taste like crap to me...

I guess I am more against that opening day madness and only putting fish in the creeks to sell liscences to the bucket brigade....Thank God they only fish 1-2 weeks and then move on to something else when the fish are gone from the holes by the road..

Trout season should be open all year around...It is mostly a put and take fishery anyway.
Wild reproducing schools of fish would have special regs...Mabee more fall stockings..

I would rather catch 1 hold over trout than a dozen pelletheads fresh out of the bucket...

Would get my nut to see them back up to Pymy, Shenango, Canadohta and some of the inland lakes with a truck load of eyes the same number and size of trout that would be on that same truck headed for a creek they can't even survive in ..

RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2583
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/08 12:35:53 (permalink)
Strandman and Bings,

Don't make too much sense on here.  You will find little if any support for what you say outside of very few people who can step back and realize the inanity of massive pellethead stocking.  You'll be savaged for it. 

Don't discuss anything.  Don't question anything.  Don't offer any improvements for the current state of affairs.  Spoonchucker and his gang will explain to you, in no uncertain terms that your ideas are not welcome.  They will tell you why you are wrong and why everything the PFBC and any other branch of government does is perfect and cannot be improved.  If there are changes to be made, they have to come from the top down.  They will dictate to you and you will like it.  These branches of government know what is best for you and if you have a problem with it, there must be something wrong with you.  Stocking pelletheads in marginal water is a great idea and stockies are the best eating fish around. The trout stamp is a great idea and if it cost $200 a year, it would still be a bargain.  There is no limit to the money that can be spent stocking pelletheads.  If you disagree, like Mugz says, tough luck, just stop fishing, he won't miss you. 
post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/03/08 16:28:08

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
- T. Fleming
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/08 16:16:24 (permalink)
"You will find little if any support for what you say outside of very few people who can step back and realize the inanity of massive pellethead stocking." 

The underlined says it all. Very few who SEE IT as insanity ( doesn't make it so ). Over two thirds of license holders, also purchase a Trout stamp, not counting combo stamps. Apparently the majority do not share your opinion. So you're up against that democracy thing, you "claim" to love.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/08 16:25:40 (permalink)
Just because a majority supports something doesn't make it prudent or correct.  A majority of old men in this state like to see millions of pelletheads stocked in marginal water every year.  They like to take my money and put tiny-mouthed pelletheads in drainage ditches, so people who fish once a year can get their limit on opening day.  Most don't listen to why its ridiculous, they just keep supporting it, because its what they have always done.  Its the fatal marriage of blind faith in government, the romanticization of trout, and an inability to think outside the concrete raceway.  But there are fewer and fewer of you every year.   

I never claimed to love democracy. 
post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/03/09 09:37:02

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
- T. Fleming
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/08 16:26:23 (permalink)
And I'm only talking inland streams.

I blame it more on the PFBC as they have conditioned the masses over the years to buy a liscence for a couple limits of trout...

The Steelhead program(albeit a put and take fishery also) is a great success...

Not afraid of a good****poundin if it's what I beleive in...

RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/08 16:26:24 (permalink)
"Inanity"

- T. Fleming
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/08 16:57:25 (permalink)
huh?

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/08 17:03:57 (permalink)
"They like to take my money and put tiny-mouthed pelletheads in drainage ditches,"

You keep forgetting that it's THEIR money too, and no-one forces you to buy a Trout stamp.

One would think, listening to some, that there were no warm water stocking at all. Some years they put more Walleye ( albeit not adult size ) in lake Artur alone, than they put Trout in the whole state.

As for "romanticizing" them cowboy. Not from this guy. They're dumber than 3 sacks of monkey shiite, but sometimes ( on the ice, or in the spring while waiting for the Striper action ) it's fun to just go whack some "easy" fish. I DO though, recognize the opportunities that it provides ( even in "marginal" water ) for kids, AND adults to go nearby, and catch a few fish. It also DOES mean money. Not only to the PF&BC, but to local bait/fly shops, and other nearby businesses. Small business opportunities ARE a good thing. No?

I agree with not stocking over natural/native fish. The PF&BC I believe, is reviewing the Trout program to adress some of these concerns. Here a link that will show what they do, and why they do it.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/trout/trout_plan/00trout_mgmt.htm

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
strandman220
Avid Angler
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/08 19:41:39 (permalink)
Spoon. I do not buy a trout stamp to fish for hatchery trout. I buy is because it is required on native streams, the Erie Tribs, and waters under special regs.

I am glad you agree on the bad decision by the commish to stock over native fish.
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/08 20:30:42 (permalink)
Ditto.  Thats the only reason I buy one.  Plus, I fish some other creeks that are "approved trout waters" for smallmouths, not even chasing pelletheads and I just don't want to be hassled by the federales. 

- T. Fleming
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/08 20:34:42 (permalink)
Whats wrong with "kids and adults" going nearby and catching some smallmouths or sunfish?  Why does it have to be an expensive, dog food-fed, tiny-mouthed pellethead?  What is so **** great about a stocked trout? 
post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/03/08 20:48:04

- T. Fleming
bubbaman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/08 20:57:52 (permalink)
every year it's the same thing over and over. the pfc promises a better trout program and wants to raise the license fees, and then comes spring and there is always an excuse, that they are going to stock less fish this year because of this or that. If I gave my boss that many excuses I wouldn't be working there anymore.
huntncast
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/08 21:54:29 (permalink)
Does anyone have the numbers on how many fisherman buy a license (or trout stamp) just for the first few days of trout season?  Seems to me that it is quite a few.  I am not blind to some of the "insanity" but traditions are strong in PA.  I have often thought that so much money goes into the trout program just to keep the money coming in.  Spoon is right, don't overlook all the warmwater stockings.  Now, if anyone could get a walleye to eat a trout pellet, to make raising larger walleye cost effective, we would all be eating good.
post edited by huntncast - 2009/03/08 21:55:23
RIZ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/08 22:00:49 (permalink)
the reason the PFBC stock trout is because the fishermen want it.  if they tried to stop, they would be hanged from the nearest tree,  so in that respect they create fisheries where none would be.

as for 1st day, that again is a political issue.  could you imagine the cry from the small country areas if they took away 1st day.  i bet they do 10% of their business that weekend.
flifisherie
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/08 22:18:49 (permalink)
Why even stock warm water fish? Problem is too many fish leaving the water. Look at LE who stocking that body with warm water fish? Looks to me if you want to, fish don't keep the fish.

Let them GO!!!

I've been saying that for years.

If you don't want to fish for trout DON't BUY THE STAMP.
 YOU only need an Erie stamp to fish in the lake. 
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/08 23:26:15 (permalink)
What happens if I'm fishing Montour Creek or the Casselman River, or Little Chartiers Creek?  Why do I need a trout stamp if I'm fishing for smallmouths?  I wouldn't keep a pellethead anyway, so you're telling me tough luck, I just can't fish there anymore?  You should only have to have a pellethead stamp if you're keeping pelletheads... 

As for the state stocking less fish every year, theres always an excuse and its always believed by certain people on this board.  Bubbaman is correct.  We would all be unemployed if we made that many excuses.  There are warmwater stockings, but they pale in comparison to the cost of the pellethead program.

As far as letting them go.  I let almost everything go except for a few walleyes and perch each year, but if you want to keep pelletheads, who cares?  They're going to die anyway, or someone else is going to keep them.  Sure a few hold over, but not too many.  And if the water is conducive to them holding over its a pretty good bet that natives could reproduce in there anyway and all the pelletheads are doing is outcompeting natives or the bigger browns are eating them.  Either way, they shouldn't be in there in the first place...
post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/03/08 23:41:36

- T. Fleming
smallmouth76
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 171
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/09 16:07:42 (permalink)
by keeping the masses happy with the opener and the fall, spring run on erie the comish caters to the anglers who love to fish for trout, that is where the bills are paid . Personally i havent fished for either in years, the tribs are like the opening day every day anymore. its not a crime to be a trout hater, but most non trout fishermen are better, more versatile fishermen in general. Just my opinion.  
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/09 16:15:28 (permalink)
Once I learned to think outside the concrete raceway, I was liberated.  It was like a weight was lifted off my shoulders and a whole new world opened up to me.  I was 12.  

- T. Fleming
strandman220
Avid Angler
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/09 17:45:33 (permalink)
Just speaking economics. It looks like it is at the point were the commish looses money by stocking so many trout. In the old days it was there bread and butter. There is no doubt if stocking in P.A. was ended. Licenses sales would drop. But so would the cost of raising millions of trout.

So I dont know? Whats the trade off? I really want the commish to have money. There is so much to be done. Stream Improvement. A closer eye on polluters. Better surveys of streams with a wild trout population. And the list goes on. This all takes money. I do not think the fish commish or the common angler really knows how great the wild trout fishing is in P.A.

And it could even be better. If more effort and funds were directed in to the improvement of wild trout fisheries.
bubbaman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 239
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/09 19:51:27 (permalink)
I like fishing for trout , I don't keep any, unless it floats when it's released. for that matter I like fishing for just about anykind of fish.but with the mentality of some people that say hey I would spend another $10 or $20 on this stamp or why not a stamp for this or a stamp for that, sooner or later it will catch up. we already pay a pretty high price for a resident license compared to surrounding states. the pfc should start producing what they say they are going to do, and not, OH SORRY ! I buy a combo stamp, and I fish erie for walleye and perch and smallmouth, but not the streams, like some one else said it like opening day every day on the erie tribs anymore. But the revenue from the combo stamp was , I thought  supposed to go to access  and habitat improvement. I don;t remember any habitat improvement in the lake . like artificial reefs or other structures in the lake. they have aquired some property along elk creek for steelhead. so how does my stamp purchase help me fishing the lake ? over the years ohio and new york have put in numerous reefs, but not pa. But they will keep pumping money into 2 allready over crowded fisheries.and hey lets get another stamp out of them, they'll pay it.  SORRY just have to vent once and awhile !
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4012
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/11 13:01:06 (permalink)
Steelperch,
And if you think those little pelletheads don't have the same things in them from said "pellets", you are sadly misinformed.  If you follow the consumption guidelines (and if you are not a developing youngster or pregnant you can eat more) you'll be fine. 
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/11 18:02:29 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy

What happens if I'm fishing Montour Creek or the Casselman River, or Little Chartiers Creek?  Why do I need a trout stamp if I'm fishing for smallmouths?  I wouldn't keep a pellethead anyway, so you're telling me tough luck, I just can't fish there anymore?  You should only have to have a pellethead stamp if you're keeping pelletheads... 

Theres a small river near my house they stock it with pelletheads, but I only fish it for carp. That too ticks me off having to buy a trout stamp when I'm only after carp! Theres quite a few places I fish for carp that are considered trout approved waters.

I like it when they are stocked in waters were I know there are some big **** pike. Those pelletheads are good easy prey and bait!

Well I do fish for pelletheads at times just when my pap wants to fish cause thats all he wants to fish for is the almighty pellethead (plus I need the bait for some water wolves!)
post edited by Mountian Man - 2009/03/11 18:13:10

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
RE: Less Trout for Pa. in 2009 2009/03/11 18:07:25 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: RhnstnCowboy

Whats wrong with "kids and adults" going nearby and catching some smallmouths or sunfish?  Why does it have to be an expensive, dog food-fed, tiny-mouthed pellethead?  What is so **** great about a stocked trout? 

I would like an answer to this question as well.....besides pelletheads make a good bait for pike. 
post edited by Mountian Man - 2009/03/11 18:14:45

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: