For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
formerguide
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 198
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/11 22:14:10 (permalink)

For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!!

Members and readers of this board:

As you all know by now, Terry (Crip) Yocum passed away, and left a huge void on this board, our fishery, and the hearts of all who were touched by him. I will fully admit, I did not know him nearly as well as others on this board. Our conversations were oftentimes contentious, and sometimes I found being his friend difficult. But despite all of that, I can say, without hesitation, that Terry was, and remains, the most inspiring person I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.
It's easy to feel sorry for oneself; I do it all of the time. Tough day at work; the kids are being difficult; your spouse is nagging you; your car breaks down; the list can be literally endless. But the truth is, I never once heard Terry complain. Not a word. Not one time did he act as if life was unfair, or cruel, or too hard. He endured hardships that I cannot fathom, and was dealt a hand in life that was harder by a magnitude of ten than anything I have ever encountered in my short life. And yet, despite all of that, he comported himself with dignity, and honor, and left nothing on this great Earth to be ashamed of. It's one thing to act strong, and tough; it's another thing entirely to be so. I can't imagine anyone being stronger than Terry, and his life, his family, and his words and actions, are true testaments to his strength.
I'm suprised, as many of you have also acknowledged, of how hard Terry's death has hit me. Some of that may be guilt- perhaps I wasn't as good a friend to him as I should have been. Some of it may be a realization of my own mortality- life is tenuous, and there but for the grace of God go I. But mostly, it's knowing that such a good and honorable man has left us. I will miss him, as I know that all of you will as well.
Regardless, I've been pondering what I can do for him. I've waited awhile before posting this, to give myself time to come up with something appropriate. I've decided upon the following:
I am building a 10' 7wt fly rod, built on a Loomis blank. Everything on it will be top-end componenets. TiCh snake guides, Fuji SIC strippers, AAAA full wells grip, and a Struble reel seat with 1 1/2" fighting butt. The inscription on the rod will read, "Terry Yocum Special- 2007" and I will also enscribe the name of the person who gets it, should they desire.
I will accept NO MONEY for this. I want to ensure everyone that this rod is for Terry. What I will do, is accept bids, e-mailed to the address below. The bidding can start now, and will end on Aug. 31st. The highest bid wins- it's that simple. The winning bidder is to write a check, payable to whatever memorial the good members of this board decide upon by the deadline. If no memorial is settled upon by then, the winning bidder should make the check out to the Yocum family. Upon comfirmation that the check was received, the winner will receive the rod.
If you're curious as to the quality of my rods, I built one for the Katrina aid fund, which Bughawk (Dave F) won- I also taught a rod-building class that Smalliekiller (Chris) took part in. The rod will be nice- I'm not the world's best rod builder, but I do a nice job.
Anyway, while it's not a lot, and probably not enough, this is what I can do for Terry. Again, I will accept nothing for this- I am in essence, donating my time, and the components, for this. Any questions and all bids should be sent to knicktoys@gmail.com - I will try and answer all questions in a timely fashion. Please do not ask what the current bid is; please do not ask to "buy" the rod. Also, if no memorial is decided upon (though I hope one is) I will need the Yocum's address- I only have the Hershey Hospital.
It's funny- I don't often do much that could be deemed as charitable. I have a family, a busy life, and a lot on my plate. But in all honesty, this is the best I've felt in ages, just doing some thing good for someone who deserves it. God bless guys.
Sincerely-
Dan Knickerbocker

43 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/11 23:01:36 (permalink)
    Good idea.It is alot of work building a nice rod. I like the spey rod idea. lol Like I said I have 40.00 to help you.

Luke 9:23
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 283
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/11 23:10:31 (permalink)
    Dan,
     I wish I had some of your talent and your desire to give back to honor someone that deserves it.  I too have been silent and feel the loss of Terry very deeply.  I hope you get a million. 
    The Youcm family (wife Lori and sons)
    504 Princeton street
    Lewistown, Pa  17044

Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/11 23:13:45 (permalink)
    A nice donation to the American Diabeties Association would be a wonderful thing for this.  A contribution to help others that are inflicted with Diabeties would make this man proud.

Just an opinion.

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/12 08:00:06 (permalink)
    See Daniel .. you're nice...

sometimes.

I will partake in the bidding.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/12 08:56:12 (permalink)
    Dan,

It's fantastic knowing that I can consider people like yourself as a great friend. That is a wonderful thing you're doing, and I'm certain that the Yokum family will be very thankfull.

My bid will be sent........

-Mike

P.S Call me this week. I want to discuss the Peacock Bass trip.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/12 10:06:04 (permalink)
    Such a great endeavor.  I hope you get ten times the money you hope for. 

Cripsbrother
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/12 19:22:40 (permalink)
    Terry would be PROUD!!!!Thank You!!!!
    mossy oak
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 883
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/12 20:19:51 (permalink)
    Doc,

I know you two had your moments in the past....but this is the best idea of all.  It would be a way to carry on his spirit.  He was by no means perfect, none of us are, but this is something he would encourage. 
    Money to the family would be a nice thing, but they will keep on keepin on.  Ya know?  Maybe it could be done in a fashion where Queenie and the boys are involved in the check presentation?

Great idea Doc!

MO
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/12 21:27:12 (permalink)
    MO,

Thank you very kindly.  I like the idea of Queenie and the boys being the presenters as well.  Additionally, I brought it up to the PSA last night to have a bench placed at 20-mile in his honor given it was one of the last places he fished for Steelies.  We all agreed on that.  We would have his name carved into the wood as a memorium.

Yes, there were issues, but I had issues with the late EmptyStringer at times and his brother.  They are both gone.  Can Man was a close call as well and these events have changed my life dramatically.  Life is a precious and sacred thing.  I will always remember Terry and his family coming to Stackhouse hours before I took my exam.  That is a memory that I keep in my mind; not any other issue.

Thanks again.

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/12 21:58:58 (permalink)
    Thanks Dan.  Good job!  My rod works great for the steelies.  Whoever gets this rod will be very pleased.

pax vobiscum +
    chasinrainbows
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/12 22:58:10 (permalink)
    I have to agree with doc, mo.
    mossy oak
    Expert Angler
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/13 00:30:42 (permalink)
    Sounds to me that we are heading down the same path.  Life and age begin to temper and calm rocky waters.  Thanks for the input and representation at the meeting. 

Kovacs, glad to see you thought the same.  You know him prolly better than all so your endorsement means a lot.

MO
    chasinrainbows
    Avid Angler
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/13 00:41:28 (permalink)
    mo your number still the same? Ill give ya a ring this weekend. mine has changed 814 882 9183
    chasinrainbows
    Avid Angler
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/13 00:44:20 (permalink)
    mo you know the place I showed him in my neck of the woods. I carved his name in a tree last fall when we were down there. now I have him lookin over my shoulder every time im there

*commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/13 00:49:08 (permalink)
    Dan, dont know if youre interested and dont know that it will help in the bidding, but i will donate a dozen or more crankbaits(nib) to the mix(rebel, manns, a few original storm hot n tots, a few original bagleys ddkb2's, etc...). nothing fancy but theyre there if you think it may help.
    post edited by *commander* - 2007/07/13 01:11:33
    mossy oak
    Expert Angler
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/13 10:10:50 (permalink)
    Yeah, it's the same Mike.  Give me a ring.

MO
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/13 13:42:20 (permalink)
    Anything I can do, please pm me. John

walcat01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/13 16:03:09 (permalink)
    formerguide: I talked to Terry almost every day and I have just got to say this. You and another well known member on this board directly told Terry that he was just looking for sympathy. You have no idea of how bad this hurt him!!!! So you can say what you want but this is the truth and you all can sleep with that memory!!!! I will not discuss this any further but I just had to let the rest of the members know the truth. I really miss talking to Terry.
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/13 16:33:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: walcat01

formerguide: I talked to Terry almost every day and I have just got to say this. You and another well known member on this board directly told Terry that he was just looking for sympathy. You have no idea of how bad this hurt him!!!! So you can say what you want but this is the truth and you all can sleep with that memory!!!! I will not discuss this any further but I just had to let the rest of the members know the truth. I really miss talking to Terry.

What a shame, while Ive never talked to Terry, Walcat or Formerguide, what purpose did the last post have, We have all done things that will remain in our minds forever, right and wrong, no one is perfect, me especially, a man was trying to do something nice for whatever reasons he has and just got kicked squareley in the nuts , I hope no one ever finds the need to broadcast my dirty laundry on the net, but i do know people can forgive others for inequiteies done by and to them
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/13 16:50:44 (permalink)
    walcat01

I really wish you had talked with Dan privately.  Dan said he and Terry had differences and wanted to do something good in Terry's memory.  I believe Dan is sincere.  We all make mistakes and say and do things that hurt each other.  Hopefully we will realize our error and make amends.  I believe Dan is trying to do that.

pax vobiscum +
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/13 16:59:02 (permalink)
    Perhaps knowing Terry has made him try to be a better person.
    Crip's words of wisdom have inspired others to have higher goals.

mossy oak
    Expert Angler
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/13 17:39:20 (permalink)
    Walcat,

I talked to him quite frequently.  One of the las times I did he mentioned about life being short.  He mentioned the riffs he had with certains members here and how he regretted them and wish they would've turned out different.  Let's be frank....he was insecure due to his disability and sometimes that got the best of him.  I understood that.  That's why when he went off on me I just let him cool.  When he cooled down a different, clearer perspective prevailed for him. 

Doc, may want to chime in on this, but he an Terry had some major issues.  That came from Terry.  I've never discussed it with Doc.  All I can say is that I look at Doc A LOT differently after what he posted here.  Nobody captured the truest sense of Crip and what he'd want like Doc did.  I see that as a man that has learned a little.  Maybe Formerguide is learning the same (and no, I don't know what their riff was over).

So, let's keep this focused.  The last thing his legacy and memory needs is for us, his internet family, to begin tearing each other apart. 

MO
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 283
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/13 17:50:14 (permalink)
    My mother always told me "If you can't say something good- Shut Up" I'm glad she told me that any yes I have broken that a few times and it hurt me more than the other person.

Grendel
    Pro Angler
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/13 18:27:46 (permalink)
    The right thing to do now is band together and honor/memorialize this man.  The wrong course of action would be to engage in he said/she said.  What good could possibly come out of that?

I am in total agreement with MO!

Doc

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/13 19:03:50 (permalink)
    Wal , we love you man. Have been a by stander for many years and you have helped alot of people out. I joined because of you and Terry. Good people.
    C0me to think of it I have not met a person here that I would not fish with. Do want to go get some ? PM me and lets catch some fish and have some fun!Life is very short, enjoy it now.

kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/14 04:09:38 (permalink)
    I want my first pay check from gander mtn to go to what ever we are doing for terry! please let me know 
    post edited by kyler16 - 2007/07/14 10:08:53

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    Cripsbrother
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/14 07:47:18 (permalink)
    I only met a few of you guys at the service for my brother, and I don't know any of you, but I will say this, I knew my brother better than anyone else. Brothers know each other, the good and the bad, I loved my brother and he is gone now, I will never get to talk for 3 hours at a time on the phone or set in the boat and shoot the breeze or get together for a cook out and drink a few, that will never happen again! My brother had sugar and when you have a disease such as that it can turn you nasty mean. Sugar affects peoples personality, and my brother could get nasty over the stupidist things, and him and I had many fights and arguments over stupid things and one of the biggest arguments came from when I found out he was calling himself "The Crip". I called him when he was in the rehab and ask him what the heck he was doing calling himself that? Terry wasn't raised that way, my brother was able to overcome alot in life, he played football, baseball, has trophies in archery (recurve bow, not a crossbow) his accomplishments in fishing and hunting are alot better than mine. Terry was Terry and he could make the best of people mad at him, and he could be very demanding, and yes he did look for pity if he thought he could get something out of it. And he would also do it for his own amusement. But if you realy knew him you would know just to ignore him when he got in one of his moods, and he never held it against anyone for very long. He would get over it! I guess a good way to sum it up is we are all adults, look out for your brothers and sisters and when you have those tiffs, don't let them last, get over it. There was only one person my brother ever complained about to me on this board and in January when I talked about booking a float in Ohio for steelhead he was upset with a guy back here who was leasing alot of ground everywhere and making people pay to fish, He did not approve of that for sure! He never said anything to me negative about any of his Erie fishing buddies. So if you had issues with my brother you are not alone, he could do that to you real quick. Don't feel guilty, learn from it, he was fine with everyone when he passed, I couldn't make myself go to see him after he was sedated, the last time I had a conversation with him was on the phone and for once I was the one who had to do all the talking, while he laid there and listened, his wife called and held the phone for him while I talked, they sedated him a day or two later and he never came back, he died about 10 days later. with dignity, and he told my mother that he made things right with God. So feel sorry for yourself that your not able to have talks with him anymore, but don't feel sorry for Terry, he's fishin!!!

And for the guys and gals on here that gave Terry entertainment, Thanks!!!

Brian
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/14 07:56:43 (permalink)
    Thank you Brian for your words.  We can all learn something.  When we have a disagreement with someone, we need to get over it and move on.  Your brother taught us a lot about life, how to stay strong in the face of challenges, and now he can teach us to forgive each other when we hurt each other. 

pax vobiscum +
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: For Terry Yocum- All members- PLEASE READ!!! 2007/07/14 10:37:15 (permalink)
    You know -- I've been waiting for this.  Someone to say something negative to start a little battle.  It was bound to happen.  Walcat, I don't recall Daniel ever saying Terry was looking for pity, nor did I .. TO HIM.  However, at times, he was.  Anyone who says they never heard Terry complain must not have spent any time with him.  He did remain positive but he certainly got upset.  He's human, just like you and me.  It's natural for us to get uptight at times.   Terry complained to me and questioned me alot, because of miscommunication between other individuals and Terry's inability to NOT be gullible.  I addressed the issues the best I could and attempted to strengthen our friendship, which it did.  It was a consistent battle of he said she said.  I found it very frustrating at times, BUT we got thru it and we each made a friend because of it and now .. as I've told him before .. he sees the truth.   He was a great man, very inspiring, and had the ability to create a very rewarding and unique relationship with people.  God bless him..

Brian, thank you for stepping in.  I think it was at the correct time.

Walcat, I find no reason for you to escalate anything.  I hope you feel better now.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: