Trout beeds

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
RIZ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/19 22:52:53 (permalink)
if they hooked on the outside of the mouth, even though the fish ment to eat it, it's considered a snagged fish and must be released. a technicality yes, but the law.
RIZ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/19 22:53:58 (permalink)
when using beads, is only 1 bead pegged to the line or are there multiple beads spaces on the line?
egg_drifter
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/19 23:19:14 (permalink)
Bead is pegged bout 2" up from a single hook, but i'm not sure if using a "bare" hook is legal in Pa. Technically, by throwing a couple wraps of thread or a strand of crystal flash around the hook would make it legal. It then becomes a fly.
casts_by_fly
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 671
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/20 11:46:25 (permalink)
this is one case where I don't necessarily think that a hook on the outside of the mouth is in fact lining. If the bead is pegged above the hook, it is highly likely that the hook will be on the outside of the mouth if the fish has taken the fly. Personally, if I were fishing a pegged bead and saw that I was hooking most of my fish in the outside corner, I wouldn't be concerned.

That said, I don't see steelhead in PA hooked deep enough often enough to warrant fishing a pegged bead, which was the original intent. To that end, I never bothered with pegged beads. If I wanted to fish a beaded hook, then I'll use one of the melted ones from the other thread linked above. They do have an advantage over glo bugs and sucker spawn in that the density is a bit higher and they have about the identical density as a single egg. On light line and dead drift, they have the exact same drift with no weight which is the name of the game in low clear water. In higher or moving water just throw a SS and a split shot.

Thanks
Rick
GilliganJR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 298
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/23 12:48:46 (permalink)
Buncha snaggers. WWKMPD?
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/23 12:56:21 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: HCsteel

... ALOT of fish caught on intruders are hooked on the outside of the mouth...

ahhhh... no

wheredyahearthat

Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/23 14:07:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: GilliganJR

Buncha snaggers. WWKMPD?

re-rig with the snagger set up....duh.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
350Z&Steelheads
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 430
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/23 15:24:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RIZ

if they hooked on the outside of the mouth, even though the fish ment to eat it, it's considered a snagged fish and must be released. a technicality yes, but the law.

"Splitting hairs"...it would be called a foul hooked fish...snagging is intentional.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

GilliganJR
Expert Angler
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/23 15:27:47 (permalink)
Who cares if it's legal. WCOs are rarely present anyhow. They're afraid of the russians and too fat to walk much further than the stop sign hole.

Use your beads if you want but don't call it fly fishing. Call is bare hook
and bead fishing.
post edited by GilliganJR - 2010/08/23 15:28:57
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/23 16:31:42 (permalink)
When it's low and clear I've found the best way to use beads is by pegging them 8" above a 2/0 treble, using the treble as weight instead of split shot.  I hook an incredible amount of fish this way, you all should try it.
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/24 09:14:17 (permalink)
i have not used trout beads, except on occasions to see a rack of hooters, but i was wondering why a person would use beads anyhow.

1. do you catch more fish on beads than on traditional patterns when fly fishing?
2. is it just something new to try?
3. it's easier to use than buying bait?
4. too lazy to tie or buy your own flies?
5. it's you're way of saying you are a flyfisherperson?
6. you have a bead fetish?

i see the controversy looks as though most hook ups are outside the mouth.
a. if beads are so productive why not put them on the hook?
b. if you realy think the fish are going to mouth a bead, why than do you put it above the hook?

i just don't get it. my way of fishing is to get the fish to bite my fly/bait/lure on the hook, not seeing if i got good reactions to lift the line quick enough to snag a fish.
or, in a strong current, let the bead drift and bump into the fishes nose so i can again lift the hook to snag him.

i'm just wondering why use beads at all?

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

powerun2
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/24 10:49:31 (permalink)
the soft glow in the dark beed's you get at b.a.c work great for night drift fishing.

when you are using skien.
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 657
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/24 11:06:59 (permalink)
Great attitude toward our wcos there....
GilliganJR
Expert Angler
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/24 15:30:02 (permalink)
Truth hurts brother.
HCsteel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/24 16:23:59 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: KJH807

ORIGINAL: HCsteel

... ALOT of fish caught on intruders are hooked on the outside of the mouth...

ahhhh... no

wheredyahearthat

Of the few I caught on intruders since starting with them this year about half were on the outside corner of the mouth. Maybe my stinger is too long or short? And also there was a thread about it on Spey Pages a while back.
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/24 16:36:44 (permalink)
huh
i have never seen it...
i could see how it could happen when stripping them and presenting broad side
but on a swing... can't understand how it would happen

anyways... buy my rod

ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/24 18:19:33 (permalink)
The fish bites the bead just like it bites a fly or any other offering...the hook just happens to be unattached to the bead itself and typically when the fish turns, it hooks itself right into the corner of the mouth. Nothing illegal or unethical about it IMO...just another proven method on one of the dumbest and easiest fish out there to catch
fishmonger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/25 08:36:25 (permalink)
I recall reading an article about beads earlier this year. The gist was that the beads were used in Alaska to prevent the fish from swallowing the hook, probably sealing it's fate. This was in catch and release water. I have had days while using streamers on stocked trout where the hits were savage, yet the hookset was continuously on the outside of the mouth. Legally, these fish were foul hooked, and were released. I feel that if a trout bead is used, positioned above a bare hook, and the hookset is inside or outside, the result is a "lined", "snagged", illegally caught fish.

Fishmonger
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/25 09:18:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RIZ

sounds like the moffit system, with beads instead of flies, which was deemed illegal by the PAFC.

Can you cite your source on this? I vaguely recall reading this somewhere as well, just can't seem to find it in the regs.
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/25 16:04:59 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: fishmonger

I recall reading an article about beads earlier this year. The gist was that the beads were used in Alaska to prevent the fish from swallowing the hook, probably sealing it's fate. This was in catch and release water. I have had days while using streamers on stocked trout where the hits were savage, yet the hookset was continuously on the outside of the mouth. Legally, these fish were foul hooked, and were released. I feel that if a trout bead is used, positioned above a bare hook, and the hookset is inside or outside, the result is a "lined", "snagged", illegally caught fish.

Get real dude...you and I both know exactly what the act of lining and snagging is. It is running the line across a fishes body in order to snag it. Or where the term originally came from - running lines across the inside of salmon's open mouths while they face upstream...This is far from that. How can you consider 2 inches or less (which I use) lined anywhere across a fishes body and snagging it in the mouth? In most cases, the fish take the bead and hook in one swipe at the offering anyway. You want to see lining at its best??? Go to Elk or Walnut when the water is extremely low in late winter and you can observe about 75% of fly fishermen who have no clue what they are doing lining those babies right mup!

And furthermore, I know when my float dunks, that a fish has taken every effort to swim up, over or across to my offering to bite it....nowhere close to lining or snagging buddy. I know this because my offering is always near verticle and 99.99% of the fish I catch; I connot see.
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2010/08/25 16:12:03
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/25 16:14:08 (permalink)
Found this  Post-Gazette article.

Buyer beware of illegal outdoors gear
Sunday, December 20, 2009
By Deborah Weisberg

If you're buying last-minute Christmas gifts for the outdoors enthusiast on your list, you might want to first peek at state fishing and hunting regulations.
Items sold online may not be legal for use in Pennsylvania, even though some also can be purchased at big box stores in this state.
Trout beads, for instance, are a hot item in the Pacific Northwest, but could land you in hot water on commonwealth streams.
"It's a legal device elsewhere, but illegal here," said Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission assistant northwest regional law enforcement supervisor Tom Tarkowski. "Trout beads hook fish on the outside of the mouth and, in Pennsylvania, any fish not hooked on the inside of the mouth has to be released."
The device works by attracting a fish to a salmon egg imitation on a line several inches above a hook. When the fish eats the bead and the angler jerks the line, the hook snares the fish on the outside of his jaw.
"Apparently, these devices are popular in other states, like Alaska, and we get a lot of questions from anglers wanting to use them on steelhead here," Tarkowski said. "The answer is, you can't."
Snagging hooks are another banned item that periodically surface on steelhead streams. Although these weighted treble hooks are legal for a few saltwater species in some states, possessing one while fishing in the commonwealth is a violation of the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Code, said Tarkowski. "You don't have to be actually using it. Just having it with you will get you a fine."
Cabela's retail location in Hamburg, Pa., doesn't sell snagging hooks, but it carries over-sized treble hooks as well as trout beads and trotlines -- heavy fishing lines that can be outfitted with multiple hooks. Trotlines are permitted for catfishing in some states, though not Pennsylvania. With special permitting, hookless trotlines can be used for crabbing in states such as New Jersey. Trotlines are legal for some fresh and saltwater fishing in Maryland.
"Our company regionalizes its merchandise, but only to a certain degree," said Steve Pickett, the Hamburg store promotions manager. "We draw customers from New York, New Jersey, Delaware -- really all through the mid-Atlantic and East Coast, and state regulations vary among the different states."
Savvy customers need to know what's legal.
"A lot of what we carry is what our main office sends us, although we're only going to get a fraction of the walleye gear our Minnesota stores get and none of the gear for redfishing our stores carry in Louisiana," said Pickett. "It's up to customers to know the laws in their state. If a gun is illegal in New Jersey, but someone from New Jersey has the proper paperwork, we'll sell him the gun because he may be buying it to use elsewhere."
Cabela's sells semi-automatic (autoloading) weapons that can be used in Pennsylvania for target shooting, but not for hunting.
Cabela's retail stores in Hamburg and Tridelphia, W.Va., carry "robo-ducks," the battery-operated decoys that the Pennsylvania Game Commission has banned here.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09354/1022060-358.stm#ixzz0xeON3Oyk

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/25 16:41:11 (permalink)
Then there is this thread and it is said it is legal.....??????????

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=54247

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/25 16:48:26 (permalink)
I like this one from your link Bings, posted by "the moderator"

"For what it is worth, it sounds like someone going overboard on fish-hugging. If I kill a couple dozen trout a year in 50-70 outings by having my hook ON the fly, the fish, PETA and C & R fanaticals will just need to get over it. "

So after re-reading this thread...I'm confused...can I snag or not?

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
GilliganJR
Expert Angler
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/26 08:46:37 (permalink)
Again. WWKMPD?

Snag away. And $5 to the first person that can prove the scared WCO's will control the russians this season.
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/26 09:32:03 (permalink)
I saw that article too, bings. It's convincing, but not 'official'.

Seems to me that every time it comes up, the guys that do it get rabidly defensive of their chosen method. Just sayin'
Screamin Steel
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 246
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/26 11:18:11 (permalink)
Does anyone have anything official? How 'bout a link to the complete volume of PFBC regulations other than the "incomplete" summary listed in the digest? If someone was fined by a WWCO, could it be argued in court that our current laws are inconclusive, esp if the fish in question were caught using this method but hooked inside the mouth?
Screamin Steel
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 246
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/26 11:22:56 (permalink)
Let me clarify: Is it the trout beads themselves that are illegal (quoting the PFBC official), or the rigging method (essentially bare hook fishing), or only the act of keeping a fish that is not hooked in the mouth? Could I be fined for only possesing the beads, or for fishing with them with no luck, or only if I hook and land a fish on them? Or only if I keep a fish caught on them (inside the mouth)?
SonofZ3
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 657
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/26 11:54:06 (permalink)
If the law is that fish hooked outside the mouth with trout beads are just considered foul hooked and therefore must be released, then trout beads would be fine for straight C&R fishermen. Just don't keep a fish hooked that way. So far, trout beads themselves are not illegal in the way that snagging hooks are. People use a wide variety of beads in all kinds of baitfishing rigs, and trout beads are just a bead.
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/26 11:59:24 (permalink)
If the law is that fish hooked outside the mouth with trout beads are just considered foul hooked and therefore must be released, then trout beads would be fine for straight C&R fishermen.

Wrong.

The laws clearly state that attempting to foul-hook fish is illegal.
bird dog
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 524
RE: Trout beeds 2010/08/26 12:37:21 (permalink)
that's exactly right, and that's my problem with this method. The INTENT is to hook fish on the outside of the mouth. Not kosher, IMO.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: