Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6356
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/19 09:45:42 (permalink)

Fishing the Salmon River.

Gentlemen,
     I have the oportunity to fish the salmon river for the first time this year.  I have never been up there before and I was wondering if there is any special equipment I should bring?  My friend has a summer home on the river and since he doesn't fish or use it in the fall he says it is all mine after Oct 1st.  Some questions:  Rod type & weight:  I have 5's, 7's and 8's.  Is a boat necessary?  I have a 14.5' aluminum deep v  and a 21' inboard.  Any special lures/flies: I have a wide assorment.  Is it wadeable?  Any general help would be GREATLY Appreciated.
      This is really weird. I have never fished this river.  I have fished almost everywhere but never the salmon so I basically know nothing.

Illegitimis Non carborundum

47 Replies Related Threads

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/19 10:02:54 (permalink)
    Take the 8 weight and the 7 for a back up.Yes the river is wadeable top to bottom,but you must have studded boots because the bottom is very slippery and the water is swift.Flies that work are egg imitations,dark flashbacks,wooly buggers,streamers,pheasant tails,prince,royal coachman,etc.October finds the Salmon in the upper reaches and some still trickling in depending on water flows.Your boat can be used in the estuary but not above it,I don't know if it would be worth towing it that's up to you.If you never fished for Salmon that's no big deal,just get the fly deep just off the bottom with a natural drift,use your nympth drifting methods and you'll hook plenty.
    racinray
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/19 16:25:22 (permalink)
    Jack,heading up oct1st till the 5th got rooms at the port lodge,when you up??Indiguiz ,7 wt would be a bare minimum if I had a choice, I use a 10 and a 9wt. 90% of the time,Jack is on the money with what will work..New regs coming out this fall MAYBE?? about the weight rule in the fly zones and running line might keep track of it on here and salmon crazy.com about the whats and what nots this fall.Ray
    ORIGINAL: pafisher

Take the 8 weight and the 7 for a back up.Yes the river is wadeable top to bottom,but you must have studded boots because the bottom is very slippery and the water is swift.Flies that work are egg imitations,dark flashbacks,wooly buggers,streamers,pheasant tails,prince,royal coachman,etc.October finds the Salmon in the upper reaches and some still trickling in depending on water flows.Your boat can be used in the estuary but not above it,I don't know if it would be worth towing it that's up to you.If you never fished for Salmon that's no big deal,just get the fly deep just off the bottom with a natural drift,use your nympth drifting methods and you'll hook plenty.

la Fish Hog
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/19 18:53:23 (permalink)
    Ray,
         Don't know when, or even if, I'll be able to get up this year.  The Dr's have warned me about doing anything hazardous.  One good fall or whiplash and it could be wheelchair time if the disks in my neck don't get better.  I'd hate to be up there and slip and fall and have that be the end of things.  But if I go out with a fly rod in my hands and a salmon on the line then it beats sitting at home.  Still got to get with my friend and make arrangements.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/19 19:55:06 (permalink)
    Ray,.......The Port Lodge will be rockin....I'm there the same as you,Oct 1 till the 5th......the Salmon are in for it that week!
    I'll also be there the week before for a couple days,have to start tying those flies soon,it'll be here before you know it.
    From what I read Matty will be up that same week in Oct.,should be some good times had by all.
    Those new regs that you hear about won't be in affect till 2008.Weight WILL be allowed but not more than you can make a fly cast or some such bull$$it as that.They have a hard time enforcing the regs now but they are going to put more out there to think about and ponder.There is such a thing as over regulating this and it can be a pain in the neck.
    Keep in touch.

Jack
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/19 23:16:44 (permalink)
        pafisher:

By the time you get up here all the salmon will be gone, as Eagle Crg and I will be up there Sept. 21-28 at the Selkirk State Park in a cabin.  Also, by then my Eagles will be 4-0 with wins over the Packers, Redskins, Lions and Giants with a bye week to get ready for the Jets 10/14.  We will try to leave some salmon for you and your buddy Salmo.

Eagle Ed
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/19 23:34:14 (permalink)
    By then all you can have the salmon---I'mm lookin for mr steel

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/20 03:32:35 (permalink)
    Just gotta search thru the rocks looking for diamonds!
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/20 10:28:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: eagleed

pafisher:

By the time you get up here all the salmon will be gone, as Eagle Crg and I will be up there Sept. 21-28 at the Selkirk State Park in a cabin.  Also, by then my Eagles will be 4-0 with wins over the Packers, Redskins, Lions and Giants with a bye week to get ready for the Jets 10/14.  We will try to leave some salmon for you and your buddy Salmo.

Eagle Ed

FLY EAGLES......E  A   G  L   E  S   I'm from the Lehigh Valley...that's close enough.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/20 13:40:20 (permalink)
    There are places you can fish quite safely. Say for instance the LFZ. Other waters close by are easier to wade having niether the current or the river rocks to contend with.
    I use an 8 wt. with a 9 wt. for a backup. There is no other reasoning for this other than the 8 wt. is the same model of rod I fish at home and the 9 isn't.
    It wouldn't hurt to hire a guide too. They can cut the learning curve way down...
    If you're in that bad of shape you could even go on a driftboat trip with a guide. It's a great way to learn the river.
    Whatever you decide it sounds like you have a great oppertunity. Congrats. on that and get the discs in shape. Being injured sucks.
    John

Lyrical
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/20 13:52:02 (permalink)
    I don't have dates picked for Salmon season yet. I may come up early for Salmon and late for Browns. Perhaps a few times in between. Slayer can have the Steel.

Lyrical
    saxon1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/20 16:06:04 (permalink)
    Ray:
         Planning on being in the area myself that week. Will be staying at the campground like a few years ago. Hopefully we can hook up for a day at least.

Mike

racinray
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/20 21:43:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: saxon1

Ray:
        Planning on being in the area myself that week. Will be staying at the campground like a few years ago. Hopefully we can hook up for a day at least.

Mike
    Sounds good Mike we'll gook up.Ray

la Fish Hog
    MattyD.
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/22 07:49:33 (permalink)
    Guys -

Cap, Gonzo, Skifisher and his boys, and I will be up from Sept 30th through October 5th.  We are staying up at the Rolls Royces' of lodges up on Rt52.  We get the apartment that sleeps 11!  Look forward to a good week, with nice water and fresh fish.  We will be all over the river, from the DSR to the LFZ and maybe the UFZ. 

Look forward to seeing you all there!

Fish Off...
    MattyD.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/22 22:34:44 (permalink)
    U got any extra room for Dave E????

wormsrus
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/24 13:18:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: metalslayer
    U got any extra room for Dave E????

U got any extra room on "Your Rock" in the DSR?

I hope all your hard work this summer (positioning rocks to build a diversion channel toward your spot) pays dividends this year.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/24 14:08:57 (permalink)
    So thats how he does it........ Can I come too? LOL

Lyrical
    upnorth
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/25 11:41:14 (permalink)
    Salmo-

It's been a while. I hope all is well. I am just beginning to figure out this new look and all. It looks like a nice upgrade and congrats (I guess!) on the moderator thing. My wish is that the wolves are easier on you than they were on the last bear who was in your shoes. But I bet he's still lurking out there.

I just received confirmation that our crew will be up from 10/2 - 10/5. It would be great to catch up with some of you for an icy, post river one sometime that week. We will be fishing the DSR almost exclusively so I imagine there will be some 'on water' encounters as well...at least I hope so.

I look forward to reading more chatter as the season gets closer and things start to heat up. Tuna, my man, what's shakin? The last few months have been outrageous, musically speaking, for me. I've been lucky to attend more than my fair share of shows since March. I hope the Tune Gods have been shining on you too.

-Up^
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/25 16:43:40 (permalink)
    UP^-
    Great to hear from you! I was a little concerned. You've been busy. I see it hasn't all been work. Good deal.
    All is going well here. The arm is healing. I'm even doing a little fishing when I'm not playing with the kids.
    That time frame sounds like a winner (10/2-10/5). I'll see what I can do to make it up then as well.
    Will chat later,
    Salmo

Lyrical
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/25 18:24:39 (permalink)
    Wormy--there's alway room on my rock---u bring the needle and thread---fresh sacks are dy no mite that time of year.

MattyD.
    New Angler
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/26 10:22:26 (permalink)
    Metal-

Dave E. is still trying to figure out if it will snow tomorrow!  :)  See - I already know that answer..

See you all soon!

Fish Off...
    MattyD.
    MattyD.
    New Angler
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/26 10:24:55 (permalink)
    Worms-

Dude - you can't keep giving away all my secrets!  You're killing me! :)

Fish Off...
    MattyD.
    upnorth
    New Angler
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/26 12:17:59 (permalink)
    Salmo-

Great...it would be nice to meet you. We'll keep in touch as it gets closer. Anybody know how to make my favorite 'funkygreenbouncyguy' appear with this new look? I need one bad for old times sake. Nevermind, I just figured it out...you can thank me later.

-Up^

PS: Holy S**t...Look at all the sensory application options this new site has! This is awesome!
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/27 16:22:06 (permalink)
    Slayer- Someone told me where the rock is. See you there. LMAO!
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2007/06/27 16:25:11

Lyrical
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/27 16:33:35 (permalink)
    UP^
    Am going to try to work it out. I got my vacation days stunted due to being off work so long. I only have a couple weeks to play with, but the trip is a given if I can get it scheduled. I hope to catch a Big Brown this year.
    Fishing is never about catching fish to me, buy they are a nice perk.

I'd like to get up to try for a Skam. or 2 skating dries, but if metalslayer isn't catching them I don't see much hope. I hear there are smolts in the river anyhow and I'd rather leave them be.
    Salmo

Lyrical
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/06/27 22:15:49 (permalink)
    They're just not where I've been---managed to miss one Memorial weekend.Really only put about 3 solid hrs in since then---my shadow has managed to tie into at least a couple.ST--to get to my rock you have to pony up $30--and beat me there--and past the

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/07/01 09:56:21 (permalink)
    upnorth:
    good to hear for ya and keep me posted on your landing on the SR
    we'll have to shakedown the water abit
    music has taken a little back trip for me ,still get to see Jorma when he comes to town but other than that been busy with the new biz.
    started working at fishing and it has taken off nicely
    been doing ADK pond trips for those sweet Brookies,chasing the browns on the Ausable and Turkeys in the Catskills
    living the dream
    be well and hope see you in the fall
                                                       Peace & Tuna

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    upnorth
    New Angler
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/07/12 10:51:33 (permalink)
    HT:

I am delighted to hear you are living the dream. Way too cool.

I will keep you posted on our Fall plans...the dates are locked in.  Will be catching up with one or two others (past and present) from this site as well.

On a musical note, I am taking the MRS up to a festival in PA next weekend to celebrate our entrance to a new decade and recently learned that one Mr. Kimock had to bail on this particular gig due to his filling in for MK of RD who is straddled w/ some health issues. And SK had a solo acoustic and solo electric set planned. What a treat that would have been. Needless to say we've been crying in our bourbon since learning of the cancelation. 'Freaking bumming' would be the understatement of the year.

Hope all of your clients' pictures are full of fins and feathers.

Up^
    JLG
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/07/18 20:50:44 (permalink)
    New to the board and wife and I are considering Salmon trip this Fall.  From what I read can catch kings coho and steelhead depending on time of Fall??  Also see my 7 wt fly rod and steelhead tactics from Erie will work but should consider 8 or 9 wts for the Salmon?  Any advise given is appreciated or addditional ideas on areas in NY to go for Salmon appreciated.  What leader size recommended? Flourocarbon necessary?  Rio shock leaders a plus? Also camping avialability??

I'll do the research on the regs but looks like I should not have to worry since we don't try to snag?
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing the Salmon River. 2007/07/19 01:31:40 (permalink)
    JLG-
    Welcome aboard.
    I use an 8 wt. for everything. I do have a 9 wt. as a backup and haven't noticed much differance in fighting a King. They are a very strong fish. A 7 wt. may be ok for Steel in low flows, but I go with the 8 wt. for the simple reason of having much more water and current on the SR compared to Erie tribs.. The Steelheads can grow to 20 lb. before entering the SR as well. My personal best on Erie tribs. is 10 lb..
    I use the shock gum for Steelheads and it has helped. Never tried it for Salmon.
    For leaders I fish a leader tapered to 2X or 3X Flouroflex for everything (10 lb). The flouroflex is my preferance in all my fishing. It doesn't get nicked up on the rocks as much.
    The first few weeks of Oct. are usually when all species will be in the River. Kings, Coho's, Steel, Dom. Rainbows, Browns and a few Atlantics.
    Of coarse this is when it's most crowded too...

Lyrical
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: