Just when you thought.........

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
wishfishin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 519
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 08:39:01 (permalink)
I talked with a guy the other night who was from El Salvador.  He said there they used to fish by diverting streams so that pools would dry up.  Then they'd just walk in and pick up the fish.  That sounds like it would do a good job of feeding a family, and the method could probably be adapted to Erie streams.  But probably none of us would seriously advocate that.

I do think there are more hungry people around us than we often realize.  Alot of people are struggling right now.  But my point is that we have to draw a line somewhere, and has been said already, there are better ways to feed the poor.
chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 09:13:28 (permalink)
If a lady or man walks up to you on your way down to the trib and ask if you would catch them a couple fish to take home, would you? Or have you? Knowing you are going to be C&R fishing that day anyway, would you? Maybe give them 2 so you can keep fishing without breaking the law?
glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 10:38:39 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: anadromous

Hefalump, I am surprised that he didn't eat you on his hunger induced quest to feed his family...I'll bet you put change in the bowery bums cups when you walk by...did you offer to help this poor man? A cracker? A snickers? Anything? How do you sleep with the visions of the distended, bloated bellies of the innocent children invading your thoughts....You should call Sally Struthers right now and donate....they will send you pictures of your host child and you will make a difference, or, you could just tell the guy where the stock truck is going to be next....whichever.... 20 0r 30 brookies in a sack...get the hell out a here.

have you seen sally struthers lately. the kids could eat her, she could feed a village for a week
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 10:40:55 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: chauncy

If a lady or man walks up to you on your way down to the trib and ask if you would catch them a couple fish to take home, would you? Or have you? Knowing you are going to be C&R fishing that day anyway, would you? Maybe give them 2 so you can keep fishing without breaking the law?

Done it before....do it again.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
pxatim
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4786
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 10:41:19 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: glen

ORIGINAL: anadromous

Hefalump, I am surprised that he didn't eat you on his hunger induced quest to feed his family...I'll bet you put change in the bowery bums cups when you walk by...did you offer to help this poor man? A cracker? A snickers? Anything? How do you sleep with the visions of the distended, bloated bellies of the innocent children invading your thoughts....You should call Sally Struthers right now and donate....they will send you pictures of your host child and you will make a difference, or, you could just tell the guy where the stock truck is going to be next....whichever.... 20 0r 30 brookies in a sack...get the hell out a here.

have you seen sally struthers lately. the kids could eat her, she could feed a village for a week

washdog
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 408
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 11:07:06 (permalink)
I hope all of you guys are never in the position to have to decide what is right or wrong, or how you are going to feed your family. Until something like this happens to you, there is no way you can honestly say what you might do. Thank God I have never had to be in this position.

Maybe the poor should be given free fishing and hunting licenses instead of just food stamps, allowing them the opportunity with a little effort, to provide some things for themselves. I am certain that there are alot of poor people who can't afford a license and trout stamp and Lake Erie combo stamp, and a hunting license and doe tags etc.  Wow !!! I guess it is nice to be able to afford such things.  Would that be fair to the rest of us ? Would you agree to it ?

I think the three ring circus that that Steelhead season presents annually is just held in a little too high of regards by most, It seems more like opening day of trout season, everyday of the week for months. 

Just my own opinion,   And this post was not directed to any one individual on here but rather to all.
post edited by washdog - 2008/12/05 11:13:10
pxatim
Pro Angler
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 11:26:34 (permalink)
There's also the poor and people on welfare that play bingo and the lottery religiously. And spend their welfare checks on booze and cigarettes. It's a matter of taking personal responsibility and getting out there and improving your situation or livelyhood. I'm sick of all the handouts. I've worked for everything I have and never once expected anything from anyone or any gov't agency.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 11:36:24 (permalink)
I've got no problem with this duud and his bag of trouts... 

...as long as he wasn't chumming.

jcm1977
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 53
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 11:40:19 (permalink)
or photo shopped, gotta hate a bag full of photo shopped steelhead.
pxatim
Pro Angler
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 11:42:41 (permalink)
just look for the white lines!
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 11:44:30 (permalink)
I do think toting a bag of fish around the creeks is dumb though.  And if a duud fishes more than once a year, he'll get sick of totin' it real quick.
blacknosedace
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 12:20:09 (permalink)
Just by letting that person do it once, you enabled that person to do it again. Just like someone addicted to drugs, you bail them out of their financial problems everytime, thinking that your helping the situation.When really you arent letting them learn a lesson. You enabled them to continue their habit!

like pxatim said people need to take personal responsibility.

They will have no Problem getting support from the governement. (provided we stop bailing out company's like boscov's) They have programs to help people who are down and out, get back up on their feet. I do not have a problem with that, but you better be looking for a job while you are on it. the object is to help until you get a job. people being laid off etc..

now its the people that take advantage of these programs that pi$$ me off. time and time again they put themselves in the same situation and yet the government still bails them out.. they enable the people to keep on that path... instead of getting off of support they just have another kid to stay on it... in my perception that is what i see..

As far as the gentlemen that i had witnessed the "floating live well" this was not the case for these fellas.... you can tell that they we far better off then i... lol...   however i do not agree with what they were doing with the bag. taking the smaller steel out and releasing it after they drug it around half the day, to put the bigger steely in.
post edited by blacknosedace - 2008/12/05 12:23:16
washdog
Expert Angler
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 12:25:59 (permalink)
Like I said Pxatim,   Thank God I  have been fortunate all my life as well as worked for every penny I have. There are abuses in everything which ruin things for those who really are honest or in need of help.

Just be thankful that you have been fortunate also, But never forget that one day God forbid , you could be the one in need and if that should happen, you would see things differently.

washdog
Expert Angler
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 12:34:51 (permalink)
Blacknosedace,   Obviously this young person was taught by a real class act adult.  That is a shame, sounds like he didn't know anything was wrong with what they were doing or he would not of told you. 

I agree with you that this kinda stuff shouldn't happen,   I think the thread just got off track a lil.    You never said they did it cause they were hungry. 
Texcobb99
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 451
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 12:36:36 (permalink)
Blacknosedace, couldn't agree with you more....BUT personal responsibility is a moral trait that is so lacking today. 

Just take a look at the economy...it's mostly due to this problem.  Bailing out companies and the CEO's because they are doing a poor job, mortage lenders giving out too large of mortages even though they know the buyer can't afford it, and then the buyer should know better than accept it. 

How do you teach the younger generation by example when they see this happen....??  The teachers in school.....the kids friends....how about the community leaders....

NOPE...it's good parents willing to take their kids fishing (or any other activity), gaining the childs trust, respect and ultimitely showing them how to reponsible citizens.
blacknosedace
Avid Angler
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 14:04:31 (permalink)
washdog,

I agree with you that the thread has gotten a bit off track. i am thankful for everything i have in life, my wonderful parents, brothers, family all together, friends, and a job. But i assure you if i was to get into that situation i would be trying with all of my power to get out of that situation. I do see what you are trying to get at with your post tho.. but really honestly would you be fishing for food or looking for a job for food if you were in that situation? I know i would be working at BK if i had too..

Texcobb99,

Again i am thankful that i have parents to teach me such things.. you are right.. now i am not saying that i have never messed up but at least i learned from it. and my parents showed me how to learn from it... correcting me when i was wrong.. spanking me and and showing me what i did wrong after... you know i look back at those times and what i did...lol... and i deserved it every time..lol... but this will take the thread in a whole new direction.. Its like people are afraid to discipline there kids anymore... are they unaware that the def. is to give training that develops self control? now i dont know about you but my parents did that.. it may of took awhile for it to sink it but they did it... Its not just parents take their kids fishing or any other activity, its parents caring.

washdog, looks like i may have taken it in a whole new direction...
post edited by blacknosedace - 2008/12/05 14:06:30
washdog
Expert Angler
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 14:43:27 (permalink)
Not really dace,  You are dead on.   It all starts at a very early age, If your brought up stuffing fish under the seat so to speak you probably will teach your kids to do the same. and on and on and on.    lol  

Makes me appreciate what great parents I have and there devotion to raising us properly. 

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 14:55:59 (permalink)
While it certainly helps toi have caring, attentive parents, it's no guarantee. I had that, and then some, but if you knew me during the 1st 10-15 years of my "adulthood", you'd swear I was raised by gangsters. Or Huns.

I think most parents try to do their best, but there is alot working against them. First it is becoming increasingly difficult to get by, let alone raise children on a single salary. Second the ease, and availability of transportation, communication, and various media, greatly increases the outside influences that reach our children.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
blacknosedace
Avid Angler
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 14:57:13 (permalink)
washdog

you are right on... in fact its the old man'd bd on monday and i plan on taking him out to eat somewhere!!! and after this disscussion i am going to give him a big thank you too.. along with his bd gift of course

spoonchucker,

i believe there are alot of things that contribute to it.. so i agree with you too
post edited by blacknosedace - 2008/12/05 14:59:14
CRANKMASTER
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 16:08:29 (permalink)

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 16:12:01 (permalink)
She should run for VP on the republican ticket. A $110,000 in make-up, and hair styling in a two month period could do wonders for her

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
CRANKMASTER
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 16:49:46 (permalink)
I've been singing with my band
Across the water,across the land
I seen ev'ry blue-eyed floozy on the way, Hey
But their beauty and their style
Wear kind of smooth after awhile
Take me to them lardy ladies every time !

wvsteelrdie
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/05 19:45:38 (permalink)
Most people who give that  " FEEDING MY FAM ", excuse are just ,flat out , game hogs. They are already getting assistance ( probably.) ? 
BIGHEAD
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/06 04:42:35 (permalink)
**** nobody needs to see that LOL
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/06 15:36:48 (permalink)
As always....well said.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: