Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Sculpin 14
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 429
  • Reward points: 0
2008/12/03 15:15:40 (permalink)

Just when you thought.........

.........you've seen or heard of everything......on the Erie Tribs that is! Talked to Blacknosedace on the phone the other night and he said that he was fishing upper Elk the other weekend and a younger fella came walking down creek dragging something in the creek and when he got close enough BND said that the kid was dragging fish around in a mesh laundry bag still alive. I guess the kid had 6 fish in the bag and proceeded to tell BND that 3 were his and 3 were his buddies who was just up creek and that when they catch a bigger fish they release a smaller fish that they have been dragging around for who knows how long.....Basically a walking live well.......unreal......

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.

http://flickr.com/photos/fellowshipanglerleague/

54 Replies Related Threads

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/03 15:29:16 (permalink)
    Well... I can't say that I'm surprised
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/03 15:57:57 (permalink)
    LOL  too funny

I donno  how legal it is, but the "walking live well"  idea sounds good.....

..L.T.A.
    McFishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/03 16:07:44 (permalink)
    interesting....
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/03 16:09:35 (permalink)
    fishing lower elk on black friday 3 guys came through in kayaks, helmets and all. They needed em when the group of guys beside me started firing hardware at em.
    Hefalump
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/03 16:20:49 (permalink)
    Reminds me of when I had a cabin right on a tiny brook with native Brook Trout in upstate NY...
    Once in a while I saw a person come downstream with a burlap bag full of maybe 20 to 30 Brook Trout.  When I asked what he was doing... he told me he was feeding his family.

So if that individual was doing the same... what's wrong with it? 
    Hope to get more pros then cons, especialy this time of year.

Mike 
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/03 16:25:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Hefalump

Reminds me of when I had a cabin right on a tiny brook with native Brook Trout in upstate NY...
    Once in a while I saw a person come downstream with a burlap bag full of maybe 20 to 30 Brook Trout.  When I asked what he was doing... he told me he was feeding his family.

So if that individual was doing the same... what's wrong with it? 
    Hope to get more pros then cons, especialy this time of year.

Mike 

Whats wrong with it?? Its against the law because the possesion limit is only 3. That is whats wrong with it.
    Hefalump
    Avid Angler
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/03 16:34:13 (permalink)
    Steelheadman28,

Yes, it is against the law...
    To me, it seems OK... if you are desperate and must put food on the table and you can do so without hurting others, stealing from others, dealing drugs, etc... what is wrong with breaking the law?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/03 16:40:00 (permalink)
    I believe there is an exemption for ( PF&BC approved ) tournaments, but in all other cases the "culling" of fish is illegal in Penna.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    aceboogie
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/03 16:40:41 (permalink)
    as wrong as it is, you have a point. that's a tough one.

"say when..."
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/03 18:27:22 (permalink)
    spoon said it right culling is illeagal in PA no matter what you use to hold fish in or on , stringer , sack , basket , or bucket, or even a land locked small pool of water. once you catch and dont release immedietly then you have harvested a fish and the leagal limit is all you are entitled to posses.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/03 18:38:55 (permalink)

Steelheadman28,

To me, it seems OK... if you are desperate and must put food on the table and you can do so without hurting others, stealing from others, dealing drugs, etc... what is wrong with breaking the law?

The problem with breaking the law is that it is illegal to break laws. They are rules, dont break them. Do you seriously mean what is wrong with breaking the law??
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/03 19:55:22 (permalink)
    If the guy needs to feed his family, let him get food stamps.....The feeding his family explanation was a quick response to a tough question.....
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/03 20:03:08 (permalink)

Steelheadman28,

That post tells me all I need to know about you, duud....

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/03 20:09:40 (permalink)
    Looks like someone is trolling here!!!!!!!!!   Maybe he's caught a few. At least I hope he is .

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    Casparis Kid
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/03 21:48:58 (permalink)
    The problem is it's against the law and more important it's stealing from law abiding fisherman like me who spend their hard earned money driving up from pittsburgh to see some idiot do it. ...I'm on my cell with the fish com when i see it.....thx
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/04 08:30:47 (permalink)
    Keeping more than your daily limit in one container or rope is illegal.  I have had that discussion with people on the streams before.  People just don't seem to understand that you cannot combine two people's fish together.  I know it does not really make sense, but it is the law.  Also, as mentioned culling is illegal.  I have seen people do it, or give away a fish.  If you give a fish away it counts towards your limit for the day, so if you have three fish and give any of the three away, if you keep another fish you are over your limit.

reference: http://www.fish.state.pa.us/fishpub/summary/violations.html

• To have on a stringer or in a container or otherwise in possession, while in or along waters of the Commonwealth or immediately returning therefrom, more than the daily creel limit of any fish for one person.
  • To fail to immediately return unharmed to the waters from which it was taken, any fish caught out of season, or undersize, or over the daily creel limit. Any fish placed on a stringer, in any container or given away, counts toward the possession limit of the person having caught it, and the person to whom it was given.

As for the argument about keeping more than a daily limit to feed your family, that is a tough one.  I feel for people who are having problems, but breaking the law is breaking the law.  Once we start thinking the law does not apply to us or we have excuses that give us license to break the law we are heading down a slippy slope towards chaos and anarchy.  There are ways to fed your family that do not involve breaking the law.

• pax vobiscum +
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/04 08:54:08 (permalink)
    I agree but most of the other guys didn't. If they want to kayak in gfreezing water so be it, I just hope they don't take a spill.
    350Z&Steelheads
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/04 10:27:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bughawk
  • As for the argument about keeping more than a daily limit to feed your family, that is a tough one.  I feel for people who are having problems, but breaking the law is breaking the law.  Once we start thinking the law does not apply to us or we have excuses that give us license to break the law we are heading down a slippy slope towards chaos and anarchy.  There are ways to fed your family that do not involve breaking the law.

•  
    IMHO
    If you are feeding your family more than 3 fish a day they may or will have more problems than needing food.   I'm thinking about the mercury content in fish.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/04 10:48:19 (permalink)
    That is a good point. Basically eating too much steelhead is an issue. 

Also, if a person is coming up to the area from any distance to catch fish to feed his or her family, they need a lesson in economics.  Spend the money you would have spent on gas, bait, etc... on food.  If you consider the actual cost per pound for the fish you are catching you will quickly realize steelies are not as cheap as you think.

pax vobiscum +
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/04 11:12:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bughawk

Keeping more than your daily limit in one container or rope is illegal.  I have had that discussion with people on the streams before.  People just don't seem to understand that you cannot combine two people's fish together.  I know it does not really make sense, but it is the law.  Also, as mentioned culling is illegal.  I have seen people do it, or give away a fish.  If you give a fish away it counts towards your limit for the day, so if you have three fish and give any of the three away, if you keep another fish you are over your limit.

reference: http://www.fish.state.pa.us/fishpub/summary/violations.html
  • To have on a stringer or in a container or otherwise in possession, while in or along waters of the Commonwealth or immediately returning therefrom, more than the daily creel limit of any fish for one person.
  • To fail to immediately return unharmed to the waters from which it was taken, any fish caught out of season, or undersize, or over the daily creel limit. Any fish placed on a stringer, in any container or given away, counts toward the possession limit of the person having caught it, and the person to whom it was given.

As for the argument about keeping more than a daily limit to feed your family, that is a tough one.  I feel for people who are having problems, but breaking the law is breaking the law.  Once we start thinking the law does not apply to us or we have excuses that give us license to break the law we are heading down a slippy slope towards chaos and anarchy.  There are ways to fed your family that do not involve breaking the law.

• Does this apply to charter captians as well ? Every charter I've ever been on they throw all of the fish in one cooler. How about if you are in your own boat, do you need more than one cooler or livewell ?
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/04 12:06:36 (permalink)
    JEB,

I don't know for sure.  I do think that some tag the fish with the owner's name.  That would seem to be a logical way to deal with the issue. 

pax vobiscum +
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/04 12:07:33 (permalink)
    I one time figured out each Steelhead I keep costs me $122.45.  Thats IF I keep my three.  I keep 20 per year, that's it.  And that calculation doesn't include my boat, just stream gear, travel, rooms, etc.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/04 12:08:13 (permalink)
    Actually now that I think about it, it would be very simple to tag fish.  All you would need were a few different colored zip tags.  Each guy in the group would get a different color.  You could run the tag up through the mouth and out the gills and zip it. 

pax vobiscum +
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/04 13:28:59 (permalink)
    Breaking the law SPORT fishing to feed your family is stupid and as others pointed out uneconomical.Will be really costly if you are caught by the law.A better idea is get a JOB.
    Hefalump
    Avid Angler
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/04 16:26:13 (permalink)
    anadromous & all others that failed to see the point....

if you see someone down & out and destitute that is breaking the law without hurting others, without selling drugs, etc trying to exist... not in the  case of Erie Steelhead finshing... would you turn them in?

I am disappointed in most responses that can't see the humanity of helping someone!  No. let me take that back.... I am disappointed that I did not make myself clear enough that the issue had nothing to do with Steelehad fishing in the first place.  

Forgive me fo being such an As*&^e! 

steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/04 17:15:13 (permalink)
    Breaking the law is breaking the law. Yes I would turn him in. There are government programs out there that would help them, so there is no excuse.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/04 18:11:33 (permalink)
    I, for one, wouldn't hang a man for stealing bread to feed his family.

having said that, i have to agree with the others, there are so many programs available, that going hungry in "this" country shouldn't be an issue

I do wonder though,  howmany of the "by the book" .."hand 'em high" duuds  ever exceed the posted speed limit a might tad?

..L.T.A.
    CRANKMASTER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/04 18:27:26 (permalink)
    There He was completely wasting, out of work and down
    All inside its so frustrating as he drifts from town to town
    Feel as though nobody cares if he lives or dies
    So he might as well begin to catch some brook trout for his wife

Breaking the law, Breaking the law

post edited by CRANKMASTER - 2008/12/04 19:36:06
    17targa
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Just when you thought......... 2008/12/04 19:30:28 (permalink)
    So if i am fishing on the lake with my dad for perch do we need to keep our catches in two seperate live wells? I never guess I never realized that. We always put them in the livewell together. But then again we have never caught our limits either. We are not that good!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: