Catch and Release

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
whatsajob614
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 473
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 16:50:51 (permalink)
They are better than lobster when I smoke them. lol
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 17:00:17 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: carpitiss

btw.... what part of the pheasant is used to tie a pheasant tail nymph?

don't be a MOTO....

I forgot all about those "moto" threads til you mentioned it...

..L.T.A.
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 17:01:16 (permalink)
I was just pointing out that it was you not I, that chose to renew the debate. doesn't bother me a bit, I'm always game.

"why is it so hard to admit that perhaps C&R fishing has been a major contributing factor in the huge runs erie streams get?!?!?"

Because is simply do not believe that. A factor maybe/probabley, but a "MAJOR" factor. I don't think so. So. after year with large jack runs, you have more larger fish the next year. Is it because all those jacks were released, and ran again? Perhaps some, but not totally by any means. It just means there were more 2 yr olds over all the previous year, thus more 3 yr olds to run the subsequent year.

Let's keep simple numbers. 1 million stocked. one year sees typical recruitment ( survival ) of let's say 20%. That's 200,000 fish. Now 30% percent make a "run" as 2 yr olds that's 60,000 2 year olds in the stream, and 140,000 that remain in the lake to run as 3 yr olds.

Now the next year recuitment is high, 30%. Now you have 300,000 fish 90,000 ( 50% more ) enter as 2 yr olds, and 210,000 ( also a 50% increase ) remain to run as 3 yr olds. You will have an increase in the typical 6-8 lb'ers regardless of CR rates the next year.

In fact with the second year, there are more fish in the lake waiting for their 3rd year to run, than there were overall the previous year.

Yoyr assumptions, require that all members of a year class make a "run" as 2 yr olds, and then would return again as 3 year olds. The overwhelming majority of fish in the stream are 3 yr. olds making their 1st run.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
Flyguy638
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 17:15:26 (permalink)
Basically , you got to have a gut pile for a chickin sandwich, so I'm ok with taking an occassional fish(steelhead not my bag), as far as mounting, Reproductions are the way to go, unless you can't revive the fish,I let all Steel go
post edited by Flyguy638 - 2008/11/28 17:20:24
genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 17:19:01 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: kilbasi kid

Would more people take home if per say steelhead tasted like lobster?

you bet your sweet bippie!! 

ORIGINAL: kilbasi kid Is it really the angler thing to do do catch and release,or if it tasted I mean truly exceptional would you keep more?

how many guys do you know  C&R most of the walleye they catch?
If they do, it's cause they don't like fish (like Jih42581)

If steel tasted like walleye, perch or panfish, there's be a whole lot less C&R only duuds.

to answer your question, of coarse they'd keep more.
(I know you already know that and  was a rhetorical question)

..L.T.A.
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 17:28:24 (permalink)
I really think the PF&BC expected a MUCH higher creel rate when they started stocking such huge numbers of fish. Now I think they are afraid of the resulting beating they'll take if they lower their stockings.

Of course how can they win.

I want more fish, bigger fish, more KINDS of fish. Give it to us/ME, but don't promote the fact that you did. I don't want anyone else to know, or enjoy.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
FlashDance
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 18:38:20 (permalink)
To put it in your own pond/lake
ORIGINAL: whatsajob614

To put it in your own pond/lake

I believe this action is now illegal because of the spread of the virus.
Probably shouldn't do this.
carpitiss
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 18:43:13 (permalink)
anglers just need to keep most jacks and younger fish in the 2 to 4 lb range and erie would have great runs of fish but not ridiculously, insanely large runs of fish every year. 

until it is proven otherwise that all those bright silver, healthy, hard fighting, eating everything in sight dropbacks all die, i will continue to believe that they contribute to a significant # of steelies in the streams during subsequent years....

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrppppppp!!!!
washdog
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 408
RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/29 09:40:58 (permalink)
I agree with Geenieman77,  If they tasted as good as Walleye or perch people would limit out daily and care less about catch and release.                                                                                     

I think taste plays a bigger role in most peoples decision to catch and release than protecting the fisherie,   You bought the liscense, Your aloud to keep your daily set limit if you so choose. I personally don't eat them. But if they were walleye my freezer would be full.
carcus1211
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 457
RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/29 10:45:46 (permalink)
Maybe it's just me but you guys are talking like steelies taste like Carp or trash.  I am new to steelie fishing but I have landed and kept all 5 this season.  I did give 2 to my cousin. I had them smoked by PR's and then put some honey on the original smoked flavor and baked it... it tasted better than most fish (other than perch) you will catch around here.  Steelies and panfish are the only fish i really would keep.  I mostly bass fish and release everything.  Basically this conversation will be 50/50 some ppl prefer C&R and the others don't... so truly, where is the debate?  I know some guys that are C&R and some that aren't, it's not like a religion, they won't convert!

LoveGlove United
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/29 11:31:58 (permalink)
Do you have Poor richards smoke perch and walleye with all their herbs and spices and then pour honey over them to make them taste good? Put enough sweetners and spices on a slab of wood and it will taste good.
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2987
RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/29 11:35:26 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: carpitiss
until it is proven otherwise that all those bright silver, healthy, hard fighting, eating everything in sight dropbacks all die, i will continue to believe that they contribute to a significant # of steelies in the streams during subsequent years....

It has been proved that a percentage of fish do come back the following year as repeat spawners. I think the average was somewhere around 10 to 50 percent and varies greatly year to year, lake to lake, strain to strain and stream to stream. Another factor is wild vs. hatchery fish.
I think one the biggest contributing factor is stress.  Where else than Erie are steelhead more stressed? I have to believe that the percentage of Erie steelhead returning as repeat spawners is very low compared to other regions and if Erie had no repeat spawning going on, I'd doubt you'd notice a difference in numbers of returning fish.
 Now, the typical moto might want to argue that repeat spawners offer bigger fish but that won't be necessary.
Repeat spawners do not show significant size increase. Most of the energy needed during the next year in open water will be to recover, replace weight loss, and rebuild sexual organs for the next spawn.

Gone Fishing
carcus1211
Expert Angler
RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/29 12:01:52 (permalink)
S-10.... 

To answer your question, all the perch i catch i give to a co-worker's husband who freezes them and i've kept 2 walleye in my life (Gill hooked) and BassAckwards took them both home and ate them.

Also, you don't smother your fish with honey, it's not like it's Hormel Chili poured over whatever wasn't edible, but now is.  A light brushing is all you need.  There are several good recipes online. 

LoveGlove United
genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/29 18:55:46 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: carcus1211

Maybe it's just me but you guys are talking like steelies taste like Carp

never ate carp..But i  hear they're good if you know how to cook them 

Glad you like steelies, Carc.
Wish i did, cause my freezer would be full all-de-time if so

..L.T.A.

beerman
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1314
RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/29 21:25:16 (permalink)
Genieman77 wrote, "never ate carp..But i hear they're good if you know how to cook them"

I've read where it's eaten in many Asian countries.

Maybe we should have a poll question?.....

Do you dislike the taste of Lake Erie steelhead, compared to most fish that you have eaten in your lifetime? Yes, I would say, steeelhead is definately in my bottom 10% for taste. There are in the top 10% for freshwater fighting game fish though!
post edited by beerman - 2008/11/29 21:55:10

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/29 23:52:07 (permalink)
The best theory I heard on the reason for bigger fish this year was the mild winter of last year.  We had less ice pack on Lake Erie last year than normal(almost none).  The water temps. rose to optimal levels (faster metabolism,more feeding) earlier than they normally would have, causing the fish to feed, and grow sooner and for a longer period of time than normal.   I do think I heard these words come right out of the mouth of a Biologist that works for the state, but I can't remember for sure, so I won't put words in his mouth.   Makes sense to me.

Carp, where were all those 2 to 4lb fish last year?  I didn't notice,   I caught tons,and tons, of 5/6.  Average 3 year olds, didn't notice hardly any smaller than that though last year. 

I'm sure the number of fish that live to repeat changes from year to year,  I certainly don't have any hard proof of what that number is.  But just for arguments sake,  lets say it's 30 percent.   If you walked down to the stream, and a hole was holding 70 fish instead of a 100, would you notice a big difference?  I doubt it, either way you'd say, man, there's a bunch in there.   I don't think the C and R makes a noticeable difference in what we see and catch.  There are always more fish around, than even the best angler has time to catch during a day on the stream.

The more important question is, where were all these steelhead hiding at in the lake this summer?   Everyone I talked to seemed to think there weren't many out there to be had. Boy were they mistaken.
genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/30 10:05:54 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Stillhead
   I don't think the C and R makes a noticeable difference in what we see and catch. 

My esteemed colleague, Dr Hoover,   I'll ASSume you mean as far as the over all numbers of fish that run every year?
I agree
 but if the C&R vs meat hunters ratio was turned (80% kept three every time out) there's be  a WHOLE lot less around to pester by this time of year.
and there wouldn't be any DUMB fish left for me to catch

Beerman,  I see you're in Key West now?
Did you get out of the drug dealing trade (beer distributor) and do a Hemingway on us?
(wasn't it Hemingway that loved the Keys?)

..L.T.A.
carpitiss
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: Catch and Release 2008/12/01 20:36:11 (permalink)
just for the record i don't necessarily believe that C&R will lead to bigger fish. i just threw that out there to get things going. there are too many other factors that may lead to bigger fish some years. the smaller run of fish i noticed was two years ago i believe for what it is worth.

i don't know what the percentage of return fish is, but as dano the king of all motos stated there IS proof. if the percentage is closer to the 50% mark then that COULD make a significant difference, and since the "insanely large" runs do seem to fluctuate every two to three years perhaps this could be contributed to those smaller fish being released and returning to the streams to add to the crazy numbers of fish. that being said, the runs are so large every year anyway that it really doesn't matter. the only way to be completely sure would be to keep every fish caught or make it mandatory to keep all fish under 24 inches or something crazy like that. then you may have smaller runs than we have now but still large as compared to any other streams in the world.....

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrppppppp!!!!
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Catch and Release 2008/12/01 20:53:56 (permalink)
Some may disagree, no wait, most will disagree....BUT, if prepared correctly, they do taste exceptional.  The only way I cook them is on the grill.  I wish more people did take more fish to balance out the population in PA more.  You'd surely see better quality and bigger fish.  I don't want to get into all the details since spoon does a darn good job of explaining it and it has all been discussed on many other threads hundreds of times over.  Bottom line is that when you have appropriate/natural numbers of fish for any given body of water, you have healthier and better quality fish.  Keep in mind, this WILL reduce the numbers game which seems to be more the focus on the PA tributaries.  Most aren't willing to give that up.  Heres something to ponder.....Do you actually think you'd see the crowds you see on the Erie tribs if the steelhead fishing was more of a challenge??

Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
RE: Catch and Release 2008/12/02 05:25:10 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

.....Do you actually think you'd see the crowds you see on the Erie tribs if the steelhead fishing was more of a challenge??

Not a chance.
350Z&Steelheads
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 430
RE: Catch and Release 2008/12/02 07:00:04 (permalink)
I release almost all the fish I catch.  Don't care for the taste of these fish and only take meat home to friends and family when they ask for it.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

catchinfish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 351
RE: Catch and Release 2008/12/02 09:44:27 (permalink)
I keep very few a year.  I did keep the big one I caught because it was by far the biggest steelhead of my life.  Maybe I would get one bigger but only fishing PA it's gonna be tough.  I keep roughly a total of 5-10 a year.  I'll get a couple smoked and fry a couple others. 

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstein
JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
RE: Catch and Release 2008/12/02 11:07:17 (permalink)
I keep steelies only if my dad wants one to be smoked for the holidays, thats maybe one or two every other year at best. I keep panfish through the ice and in the summer once in a while. We go to a wild game feast every year and we donate,perch, bluegill & crappie filets to the cause.
Besides that only if I pay for a charter will I keep fish, unless its going on the wall. But how often do any of us catch a wall hanger. I only have 5 fish mounted in over 30+ years of fishing.
MikeThePike
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: Catch and Release 2008/12/02 18:15:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: S-10

Do you have Poor richards smoke perch and walleye with all their herbs and spices and then pour honey over them to make them taste good? Put enough sweetners and spices on a slab of wood and it will taste good.

Made the mistake of smoking a walleye last year....tasted like complete crap

One thing I've noticed over the past few years since I started fishing more for trout is either you have a taste for them or you don't. If you don't like trout it doesn't matter how they are prepared or where they came from, you won't like them. Everyone seems to go nuts for stocked trout yet even smoked I can't stand em, I hate the taste of liver and thats what they taste like to me whereas steelies and the few wild trout I'll take over the course of a year all taste good to me wether I fry them, grill them or smoke them.
carcus1211
Expert Angler
RE: Catch and Release 2008/12/02 18:59:53 (permalink)
I think someone else said it... it all comes down to personal taste.  I know both my parents love liver and onions and i can't stand liver or onions...lol.  But most of the food i ate growning up came from a box too.  To me, this is a never ending debate, well both of them... C&R and taste for fish.  I think if I fished more/caught more steelies, then i would release more.  I've fished probably a dozen times for them this year and only landed 5.  If i would have limited each time, i probably would only have kept about a dozen or so.  ppl at my work love them.  I've brought in 3 fillets so far and warmed them up and left them in the lunchroom.  In about an hour it's all gone.  But there are those who hate it when i do this.  I have also received 4 steelies from friends that i gave to a shelter for troubled ppl that i walk by everyday to work.  They loved it.  They don't have the ability (mentally or physically) to go fishing nor the money for tackle.  I guess you can say it's a small way I give back.

LoveGlove United
Minnie Food
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
RE: Catch and Release 2008/12/02 22:06:55 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Some may disagree, no wait, most will disagree....BUT, if prepared correctly, they do taste exceptional. 

thats true. steelies are actaully one of the best tasting freshwater fish next to perch and walleye if prepared right ( this is my personal opinion)
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
RE: Catch and Release 2008/12/03 19:59:38 (permalink)
Carp were brought to this country over 150 years ago as a cheap source of protein for a growing country.....Carp are nearly impervious to toxins. 
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
RE: Catch and Release 2008/12/03 22:27:53 (permalink)
so is keith richards

I have become comfortably numb
bdubs
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Catch and Release 2008/12/03 23:53:39 (permalink)
you guys were talking about fish worthy of hanging on the wall. i am curious to know what size stealhead you might consider for taxidermy
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: Catch and Release 2008/12/04 01:49:12 (permalink)
Carp,

You're such a moto!

A gentleman by the name of Brad Thompson did a study, a little over ten years ago I believe.  If I'm not mistaken, it was a thesis for Penn State.
I obtained some of the results of this thesis via Mr. Murray, PAF&BC Biologist, several years ago.

According to Mr. Thompson's findings, percentages of repeat spawners varied with sex.  He found that females return at a higher rate than males.

Crooked Creek return rates for females ranged from 37% in the fall of '97 to 15% in the spring '99.  Males-a high of 15% in the spring of '99 and a low of 8% in '98.
Godfrey Run collections showed a high of 24%(females) in the fall of '97 and a low of 12%(females) in '99.  Males-a high of 13% in the spring of '99 and a low of 3% in fall '98.
Trout Run produced a high of 27%(females) in the fall of '97 and a low of 4% in the fall of '98.
Males-fall of '99 had a high of 10% and and a low of 2% in the spring of '98.

90% of 2-year old fish are males simply because they reach sexual maturity before females and these fish run when sexually mature.
Age distribution(both sexes) was 2 year olds-48%, 3 yr olds-40%, 4yr olds-9%, 5yr olds-2% and 6yr olds-1%.
Sexually mature 2yr old females, also known as 'Jills', are relatively rare in the population.

Thank you, once again, Mr. Murray for passing along the info.

I'm not debating here just throwing out a few facts pertinent to the thread.

Ironhed

p.s. Carp, the moto thing was a joke.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: