Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
whatsajob614
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 473
  • Reward points: 0
2008/11/28 13:47:24 (permalink)

Catch and Release

How often, and what factors determine whether you catch and release, or keep a fish that you've caught? Personally, I only keep what I eat, unless it's trophy size for the wall. Otherwise I release most of my catch's.

63 Replies Related Threads

beerman0303
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 869
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 13:55:35 (permalink)
    What other reason is there to keep a fish besides either mounting eat or eating it?
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 13:55:49 (permalink)
    Hold on and let me get a comfortable seat....
    This should be a long one!
    whatsajob614
    Expert Angler
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 13:56:21 (permalink)
    Just wanted to know what YOU would do.
    whatsajob614
    Expert Angler
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 13:56:50 (permalink)
    That's what I'm hoping for Mike, stir the pot a lil.
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 14:00:33 (permalink)
    My friend, the catch and release pot has been stirred so much on this forum that there ins't a bottom left......
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 14:00:36 (permalink)
    Nothing dictates it, cause I dont like any of them. They all go back, every species.
    beerman0303
    Expert Angler
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 14:01:48 (permalink)
    I'm still confused... If it's a beauty, mount it.  If you wanna eat it, eat it.  Is there any other reason to keep a fish?
    whatsajob614
    Expert Angler
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 14:05:00 (permalink)
    If someone else wants it. To put it in your own pond/lake, sexual reasons, I don't know Beerman, and that's exactly why I asked, Also, like I said, I want to know people's opinions of what they like to do. Don't be that simple, pleeeease.
    beerman0303
    Expert Angler
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 14:11:14 (permalink)
    Every fish I have ever had mounted I now wish had returned to the water, because I realize what a rare catch they were.  The only fish I have kept to eat were a few walleye, and thats cause my fishing partner would cry if he saw anyone throw back a good "eating size" walleye. 
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 14:19:02 (permalink)
    I've caught numerous fish that were exceptional, in either size, or beauty ( color ), but it would take a spectacular fish ( perhaps a record ) before I'd have it mounted. Just never had the need, or desire to put one on display ( other than a few pics ). Other than that, it comes down to taste, and ease of creel per species. My father, when he was alive enjoyed Trout, even Steelhead so I kept many Trout, and several ( 10-12 ) Steelies per season. Since his passing, I keep no Trout, and only 1-2 Steelies ( I like the occasional smokie ), though I kept none last year, opr thus far this year. NOW when you're talking Wallylogs, or Perch I keep all I catch WITHIN legal limits. I like them, I eat them, and I know alot of folks that CAN, and DO use them. They go to good use, and I offer NO apology for the number I keep. And if Steelhead tasted that good, AND I weren't too lazy to cart them around, I'd take 3 every trip.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 14:30:13 (permalink)
    Same as Spoon, I release every perch and walleye safely to the freezer. I don't eat em, but too many people do...and some really do need them.
    Steelies 3 per season, all other species 100% released.
    post edited by Mr.Slickfish - 2008/11/28 14:31:02

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    wvsteelrdie
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 14:35:13 (permalink)
    How about a deeply hooked or bleeding fish? I personally do not keep many, a smoker or two, but if I feel the steel will not survive I will put him on the stringer. Even if I do not use the fish there are plenty of people I know that will not let it go to waste.
    beerman0303
    Expert Angler
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 14:38:33 (permalink)
    Thats a good call WV.  In recent years I have been doing less live bait fishing for that very reason.  Sometimes using live bait results in deep hooking and a released fish may not survive anyway.
    post edited by beerman0303 - 2008/11/28 14:47:09
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 14:46:22 (permalink)
    Eperience, and close attention to one's line/float will eliminate 98% of "gut hooks". I use bait often, and can't recall the last time I "guthooked" one. In fact the last time I kept one due to deep, not gut hooking, it was caught on a spoon which he just inhaled, and got into his gills.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    beerman0303
    Expert Angler
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 14:52:27 (permalink)
    Spoon that is true, but you are probably a better fisherman than most, myself included.  Thats why I qualified my statement with words like "may" and "sometimes".  Personally if I catch a lot of fish in a day using live bait, one or two is usually deep hooked.  So it's more than 2% for me.
    wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 14:57:47 (permalink)
    I've kept two fish for mounts over the years--a big lake trout from a fly-in up in Canada and a big brown in full spawning colors out of Lake Michigan.  Sadly, the brown languished in the freezer while I waited to have enough money for a mount (I was in graduate school then).  It was never to see a wall.  The lake trout deteriorated in quality over the years (oil bled through skin,   it faded, had a funky smell) and so didn't make our last move with us.  I do kind of miss it, but my wife doesn't.

All that said, I would no longer keep a fish for a mount.  I think I'd go the fiberglass route.  If you've seen high quality fiberglass mounts, they look terrific and don't require killing the fish.
    whatsajob614
    Expert Angler
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 15:00:38 (permalink)
    I've heard that also wish. I think I may do that if I catch any wall worthy from now on. a
    wvsteelrdie
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 15:02:33 (permalink)
    i always flyfish but sometimes a dropper fly will end up in some very odd places. I do not like it when that happens, but it is very seldom. You are right , fish almost never get a deep hook on metal and feathers or yarn. They just don't like the taste or feel i guess.
    carpitiss
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 15:10:09 (permalink)
    LOL! it's been a while since i got on this board, and sure enough there is a C & R thread at the top....some things never change. lol.

i keep 0 steelies every year, but WILL keep one if and when it pegs my boga at 15 lbs.

that being said, i don't really have a problem with people keeping steelhead. there really are too many of them. i also realize that a significantly larger percentage of anglers release the steel they catch than those who keep em.

however, i would prefer that true trophy fish (in the 11 to 15 lb range) be released so that other anglers (maybe kids) can enjoy catching a bigger fish. there just aren't a lot of fish in that weight range. the only reason these fish should be kept is to put them on the wall. keep the smaller 6 to 8 LB fish to eat.

and while i'm at it, just to stir the pot a little..... anyone notice the larger numbers of 6 to 8 LB fish this year. wouldn't have anything to do with the larger than normal number of 2 to 4 LB fish last year would it? just throwing it out there. hi spoon

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrppppppp!!!!
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 15:18:07 (permalink)
    Amazing.....I saw large numbers of 6 to 8 pound fish this year. They were all 6 points though...no shooters.
    post edited by Mr.Slickfish - 2008/11/28 15:20:09

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 15:21:29 (permalink)
    I'm with spoon & mr slick, but while contest fishing at the pay lake a 24 1/2" rainbow took my jig in his gills and he is on the wall but only because it was done for free.....
    even at the pay lake they all go back...
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 15:24:07 (permalink)
    I really didn't notice an unusually large number of 2-4's last year ( almost all were cookie cutter 6's ). But let's say for arguement's sake there were. Yes it WOULD have something to do with it, in that THAT would indicate a strong year class. IF there were more in the streams, then there were also more that remained in the lake. Those 2-4's are not mature fish, making a typical spawning run. I can pretty much gaurantee that IF all those 6-8's being caught this year were released, there would be no significant increase in 8-10+'s next year. Another factor is forage, the lake was FULL this summer, and the huge Walleye numbers of the past few years, are back to more normal numbers. Thus the 1st run 3 year old you catch this year, WOULD be bigger than the 1st run 3 year old you caught last year.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    wishfishin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 15:29:24 (permalink)
    Didn't I hear that when a fish makes it back the lake, IF it survives to run again it will do so in two  years, not the very next year?

I was kind of interested to see what this year would be like.  Since two years ago was the year with all that water, I wondered if more fish would make it back into the lake in better shape than usual.  IF that is so (and I realize that is a big if), that could be one of the reasons we seem to be seeing better fish this year.
    post edited by wishfishin - 2008/11/28 16:04:43
    carpitiss
    Expert Angler
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 15:46:28 (permalink)
    "I can pretty much gaurantee that IF all those 6-8's being caught this year were released, there would be no significant increase in 8-10+'s next year"

lol, perhaps you aren't quite tired of debating this one yet. my argument is this:

surveys reveal that over 80% of anglers catch and release. why do we have the HUGE numbers of steelhead runs? some may answer the large number of stocked smolts each year. yes, this is true. but it is also true that the mortality rate on smolts is extremely HIGH. now, there would still be very good runs of steelhead in erie stream given that there ARE huge numbers of smolt stocked. however, we have INSANE numbers of steelhead in erie streams. is it possible that this is the result of such a high percentage of catch and release anlgers (particularly with fish in the 2 to 4 lb range)?

forget the 8 to 10 lb theory spoon. not many fish that made a run at 2 to 4 lbs then again at 6 to 8 would be back for a third time. i believe that most of the fish in the latter lb range DO in fact die. it is the larger numbers of younger fish that make it back in my opinion. i have no proof, just as your "gurantee" is not proof either.

to summarize, what if the reason all along for the insane numbers of fish in erie streams is due to the FACT that MOST anglers release steelies, and more specifically, fish that fall into that 2 to 4 lb range? yes forage plays a part in the size of fish overall, but how much of a factor? i need more evidence than merely speculation and angler observations before i am convinced that smaller fish don't make multiple runs.....

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 16:00:36 (permalink)
    The fact that 80% or more of the fish each, and every year are in the same size range ( sometimes a LITTE bigger, other years a LITTLE smaller ) thus the SAME year class, indicates the size of the run is predicated on stocking, and recruitment numbers. Not second, or third return fish. Otherwise you would see the same number of X size fish, in ADDITION to nearly equal, or larger numbers of X-plus size fish.

"lol, perhaps you aren't quite tired of debating this one yet."

YOU are the one who brought it, ( and my name ) up.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 16:25:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: whatsajob614

How often, and what factors determine whether you catch and release,

my determining factor is directly related to the taste of "whatever" species AND whether i feel like carting them to the cleaning station or home to clean.
     as far as Steelies go,  when I was slingin'  bait years ago,  I'd kill one or two hens a year for the eggs.
    In the past 6-8(?)  years , think I've "knowingly"  killed a total of maybe 5 or 6 of the oodles  I've landed.
    All but one of those were because a creek neighbor asked if I was keeping it and if not, could they have it.

"ask and you shall receive"

................................................................................................

hey Carpy, good to see you back, duud
    You're older, but not any w....oh never mind....

..L.T.A.
    carpitiss
    Expert Angler
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 16:31:36 (permalink)
    lOl spoon. take it easy. i brought it up knowing that you feel strongly about it, and i would probably get a response....... though i thought maybe you would be tired of it and not respond hence the reply by me. geeez, have you grown a little sensitive since i've been gone or what? either that or it is still a touchy subject for you... i brought your name up because we have had some fun (at least on my side) in the past debating this very subject.

now back to the debate. each year there is a MIX of fish sizes. but some years you see many more 2 to 4 lb range fish, and others many more 6 to 8 lb range fish. still others you see tons of jacks. you stated that this is only due to forage in the lake. i find this difficult to believe due to the fact that many of these younger smaller fish are left to return to the lake come springtime. i was simply pointing out that several anglers and i have noticed that in years before a run of bigger fish there seems to be an abundance of smaller fish and jacks. most anglers release these fish. why is it so hard to believe that these fish could be returning thus contributing to the insanely large runs that erie streams receive????

why is it so hard to admit that perhaps C&R fishing has been a major contributing factor in the huge runs erie streams get?!?!?!? it is not an argument as to whether keep em or not, for as i stated before it really doesn't matter. there are too many. just pointing out that it may not ONLY be due to large number of smolts stocked, but rather a combination of stocking and C&R......

carpitiss
    Expert Angler
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 16:33:54 (permalink)
    lol good to be back Genie. i'm definitely older but not wiser! lol!

btw.... what part of the pheasant is used to tie a pheasant tail nymph?

kilbasi kid
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: Catch and Release 2008/11/28 16:43:08 (permalink)
    Would more people take home if per say steelhead tasted like lobster? Is it really the angler thing to do do catch and release,or if it tasted I mean truly exceptional would you keep more?
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: