Hows the rain fallin?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Skip16503
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4028
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 15:41:29 (permalink)
Walked the dog again   Here is a short clip of the unmentionable hole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4swveehVzTM

bjkaledas
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 15:57:56 (permalink)
Looks like some great flow to me!
Ax
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 16:24:06 (permalink)
Skip,

Make sure to bring your avatar girls to the One Fly for security.

Sorry to Highjack this.
Skip16503
Pro Angler
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 16:33:23 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Ax

Skip,

Make sure to bring your avatar girls to the One Fly for security.

Sorry to Highjack this.

I'll ask my wife if its OK  LOL 

Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 16:54:39 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: moooooo4me

ok im not looking for specific spots just the name of the creek in the picture and honestly is there enough fish in walnut to make a 95 minute drive up  also i think the policy about nameing ur spots is kinda dumb and can u mention the name if its on public property

There will be tons of fish in lower Walnut tomorrow morning, guaranteed. From what I was told, those who show up at Elk expecting water will be dissappointed.   Unless it rains some more.

I might actually visit the 3 ring circus tomorrow morning, it's been a while since I've fished it while the circus was in town.
Skip16503
Pro Angler
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 16:56:09 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Stillhead

ok im not looking for specific spots just the name of the creek in the picture and honestly is there enough fish in walnut to make a 95 minute drive up  also i think the policy about nameing ur spots is kinda dumb and can u mention the name if its on public property

There will be tons of fish in lower Walnut tomorrow morning, guaranteed. From what I was told, those who show up at Elk expecting water will be dissappointed.   Unless it rains some more.

I might actually visit the 3 ring circus tomorrow morning, it's been a while since I've fished it while the circus was in town.

Jim Don't do it  Please just step back and think about what you are saying  LOL

Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 17:04:33 (permalink)
lol, I think I can make it a couple hours.  Was thinking about stopping at wally world and picking up a Snoopy rod.I don't know, probably don't have the snoopy rods anymore, Spongebob?
MackJ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 522
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 17:04:33 (permalink)
I think rain fell into the watershed of Elk more today.  It may take 12 hours to wash down, but it is a good bet for tomorrow if you don't want to deal with the crowds.  It would be well worth a drive by anyhow.
fishrmn
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 675
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 17:40:43 (permalink)

There were several hundred fish in walnut yesterday...  I'm sure most of those fish have moved upstream and several hundred more with take their place.  Not sure if thats enough for you...

Policy is far from dumb duud.

-Tim
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 17:56:06 (permalink)
and honestly is there enough fish in walnut to make a 95 minute drive up

Moon, are you fo-reel? or jst goofing around.
cause if you're serious, forgive me, but do you pay ANY attention to ANY of the threads here?

for crying out loud, duud, there's a bunch of pics of steelies being caught and have been for the last MONTH!
have you seen the pics of Walnut posted here?
Do you see ALL those anglers surrounding those holes?

psssst, I'll let in on a secret, cause you must not of heard,
shhhh, don't tell MackJ, cause it might  ruin our reputation, but there IS and HAS been LOTS of steel in the lower end.
It's been talked about on several threads for the last 3 weeks "at least"

whether it's worth "your" 95 minute drive, first you'll have to tell us how many fish there needs to be to "make it worth it" to YOU

..L.T.A.
wishfishin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 519
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 18:36:49 (permalink)
Yeah, for all the bad press you guys often get, I am consistently impressed (and often amazed) at how much information is on these boards for those who take the time to look for it...
matsif
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 18:40:11 (permalink)
local checking in, and saying that its still supposed to rain tomorrow, although probably not as much as today or yesterday

I'm definitely going after the SAT's and before homecoming on saturday, and by then it will probably be clear again

cya out there hopefully, unless y'all are bow hunting...
MackJ
Expert Angler
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 19:27:17 (permalink)
That's mighty sporting of you letting this fellow know he can crowd in at the mouth of Walnut.  Will you be so sporting when he wants to know "if the fish made it to Folly's?  Am I allowed to say Folly's?  Will he even know what Folly's is with the new policy?  And, speaking of lower Walnut, isn't that where the guy caught a few early entrants and caught grief because he mentioned that fish came in the stream.  A good number of people weren't so sporting about that as I recall.
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 19:51:28 (permalink)
MackJ,

Plain and simple if you don't like these boards/policies you can leave, straight up.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 20:23:04 (permalink)
I think he likes making people mad, but also believes he is standing up for something.  Mack, sometimes, it's ok to just let it be. 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
BehrendFisher
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 149
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 20:24:18 (permalink)

As long as it doesnt storm too much tonight I would imagine the west side will be pretty decent fishing tomorrow.
Picked up 6 in under 2 hours after 4pm today

Hope the pictures help you get an idea of how the creeks are doing.
Screamin Steel
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 246
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 21:43:28 (permalink)
It is seriously ridiculous the reactions whenever anyone mentions a stream. really, guys. There are only about a dozen trib streams. They are all open to the public for the majority.They are all on the angler maps. They belong to everyone.Everyone knows steelhead run in all of them, or will be soon enough. And how is tit humanly possible to burn the Elk access or the wall at the 'Nut? WHO CARES? Most of us have to plan our trips in advance, and can't run up there anytime it rains. We mark our trips weeks or months ahead of time and hope for good conditions, but regardless we are still going when we planned on it, on not when we didn't, because we can't. I can't believe that some are intentionally misleading in their reports.Justify it any way you want to, but dishonesty is still dishonesty....and always wrong. If you don't want to tell what you caught or true stream conditions, who is forcing you to post a report anyhow? Just don't tell. It's that simple. But posting bogus drought reports and mass extinction of the steelhead, is just distasteful, and makes us all doubt every other aspect of your ethics and integrity. In the end they are just fish after all. Don't let your greed lead you to sacrifice integrity and ethics. This post was not directed at any individual, so don't anyone take it personally. Unless of course you are feeling guilty.
post edited by Screamin Steel - 2008/10/01 21:46:23
genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 22:05:34 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: MackJ

Will you be so sporting when he wants to know "if the fish made it to Folly's?

No, 'least I hope not.
I'll suggest they take drive up stream and see, just like many of us do.
I'll also tell them they may be rewarded with a TON of fish and few anglers.
or they might just come up broke.

Do you see that as "unfair" or "selfish"?
I suspect that you do and I s'pose you could characterize it that way if you choose. 

I'll characterize it another way by using the children's  tale of The Little Red Hen.
the whole tale for those not familiar is here

http://www.bres.boothbay.k12.me.us/wq/nnash/WebQuest/little_red_hen.htm

A quick summary;
All the Little Red Hen's (LRH) friends wouldn't help her plant the wheat, harvest the wheat,  mill the wheat, nor help her bake the bread when all that work needed done.
She did it herself.
But when it was done cooking all LRH's friends  sure wanted to enjoy the fruits/rewards  of her labor.

A sincere question for you you, MackJ;
  Would you think it unjust of the LRH if she enjoyed that bread for herself?
Do think others are "entitled" to her bread?
Or do you think "she's" entitled to it?...atleast until the MASSES show up to crowd her dinner table.

Will he even know what Folly's is with the new policy?

he sure will if he uses the resources already available  like the  MAPS provided  here and elsewhere.
Which, BTW,  have been mentioned a MILLION times over and over here to pret'near EVERY duud that asks "where to"
Which also BTW, point out parking and  access areas

And, speaking of lower Walnut, isn't that where the guy caught a few early entrants and caught grief because he mentioned that fish came in the stream.

Honestly, i don't know, Mack.
I didn't see that thread or post.
I showed back up shortly after the first steel started making forays in and out of the mouth.

Mack, in all sincerity, how often do you get to go steelie fishing?
When do you make your first trip?
In all sincerity, do you see yourself as a crusader?
Do you genuinely think it unfair of us not to share every bloody thing with the masses?
Which most of those masses only TAKE from here and give NOTHING back in return.
There are FAR more lurkers on this site than posters

I'm done now Mack
You can continue on your crusade
We can continue a dialogue if you choose to respond to my post.
For the record, i harbor no malice, nor ill will toward you, i just know you're dead wrong on your crusade

..L.T.A.
pin_drifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 253
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 22:23:53 (permalink)
looks like 4 mile

Quit ****ing and take a kid fishing !!
genieman77
Pro Angler
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 22:31:46 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Screamin Steel

I can't believe that some are intentionally misleading in their reports.Justify it any way you want to, but dishonesty is still dishonesty....and always wrong.

we agree 100%, Screamin'.
But honestly, I see very little of that here now or in years past.
What you're more likely to read are reports with an "agenda"
Like the guides, and motels that post GLOWING reports to keep their name in lights and get your biz.
The other "agenda" type will be those telling of big runs on XYZ creek in hopes the masses will travel there instead of their tiny piece of paradise.
They're not lying about moucho fish at XYZ creek, they themselves aren't planing on fishing there though.

But posting bogus drought reports and mass extinction of the steelhead, is just distasteful, and makes us all doubt every other aspect of your ethics and integrity..

we agree again, Screamin'
But as mentioned, i see very little out and out lies posted here.

I mentioned in another post a few days ago, that there might  be only  a handful of steeies in an area one day, but the next day there might be a 100.
If reported one day,then another reports the next day, the first reporter will called a liar, when in fact, he's not.

see what I'm saying?

the other thing that happens is more a subjective matter than lies.
Example, one angler sees 7 to 10 inch water visability as "muddy and blown out", while another angler sees that very fishable and close to prime

and lastly, some duuds just don't know any better.
I can't tell you how many times duuds catch hens and call them "fresh fish" cause they're not dark like the males.
That hen that many think is "fresh" has been in the creek for a month or more.

heck, some of the hens  I've seen caught and called "fresh" were in the creeks so long, they had much of their bottom fins worn off.

..L.T.A.
post edited by genieman77 - 2008/10/01 22:44:46
beerman
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1314
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 23:24:59 (permalink)
For the most accurate stream reports, read between the lines, in many of the threads on this board.  If one pays attention by reading the water level graphs available and using many of the weather sites available on the FishUSA homepage eventually you will get a good idea about the stream conditions.  Remember.... for the west side of Erie after a rain; Walnut Creek comes down in 24 hours or less (in general) and Elk Creek takes almost 48 hours or more to reside completely.

Well said Genieman77, I totally agree and hope that MackJ will understand your logic someday.  This is what makes a discussion board pertinent.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
Loopy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1437
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 23:39:28 (permalink)
Or you can PM me Greg.

<---  The Holy Trinity
beerman
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1314
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/01 23:43:35 (permalink)
Will do Loopy, thanks!

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
egg sac
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 517
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/02 01:16:37 (permalink)

It is seriously ridiculous the reactions whenever anyone mentions a stream. really, guys. There are only about a dozen trib streams. They are all open to the public for the majority.They are all on the angler maps. They belong to everyone.Everyone knows steelhead run in all of them, or will be soon enough. And how is tit humanly possible to burn the Elk access or the wall at the 'Nut? WHO CARES? Most of us have to plan our trips in advance, and can't run up there anytime it rains. We mark our trips weeks or months ahead of time and hope for good conditions, but regardless we are still going when we planned on it, on not when we didn't, because we can't. I can't believe that some are intentionally misleading in their reports.Justify it any way you want to, but dishonesty is still dishonesty....and always wrong. If you don't want to tell what you caught or true stream conditions, who is forcing you to post a report anyhow? Just don't tell. It's that simple. But posting bogus drought reports and mass extinction of the steelhead, is just distasteful, and makes us all doubt every other aspect of your ethics and integrity. In the end they are just fish after all. Don't let your greed lead you to sacrifice integrity and ethics. This post was not directed at any individual, so don't anyone take it personally. Unless of course you are feeling guilty.

Not meaning to be a ballbuster here but you are dead wrong about the streams being open to the public. Except for the access of walnut and elk and a few small areas the fish commision has aqiured right of way to all these streams are on private property owned by landowners. The landowers out of the goodness of thier hearts alow us anglers to access thier land each and every year but could with zero notice stop it. The land owners owe us nothing and as crowded as it gets at many places I am shocked most have continued to alow access to thier small pieces of heaven. As for spot burning you are right it impossible to spot burn any truely public access areas, but in the same hand the other 90 plus percent of the streams are on private land and posting xyz area that is not true public access area is no different then having a small party at your house with what was suppossed to be just that and having 100 extra people show up. bet ya would be a bit peved about that. We as anglers have zero ethical right to be telling people about any private property spot on any stream reguardless if the landowner alows people to fish it.Would you like hundreds of people in your back yard just because a bunch of loadmouths posted it was a nice yard on the internet? I amso sickof this debait on spot burning so I will just sum it up if its a state/boro truely open to the public area advertize it all ya want when ever ya want, if its on private land its totaly wrong to ever advertize it on a public forum. If people would stop their crybaby whining over I do not want to drive and it will not be good so please spoon feed me cause I need instant gratification crap and acualy do a bit of walking some resurch on what time of the year they are always in then maybe the would acualy be able to feel proud about themselfs, come on realy do we need to give them the winning lotto numbers as well. I do not care how many miles away one lives thats no excusse for needing spoonfeed all the time. I have personaly drove hundreds of miles to many fishing locations with never needing spoon feed ever. I will walk my butt off sometimes hit paydirt others a bust.Best part weather it be paydirt or bust I learned a new area. Lets see in the past 2 weeks I have drove to oak orcahrd and found some early kindgs did not land any but did land a few smaller steelhead at the dam and wow was not spoon feed just went up for craps and giggles was worth every second of the 200 mile each way drive. Also walked Elk from just above rt 20 to the acces over 2 days time and WOW I found fish in most of all the bigger holes and even some smaller pods in lesser holes and best part was I seen like almost nobody and lots of fish amagine that!! As for any faulse reports about super low stream condtions in Pa they have been very very low almost impossible to get any kind of drift at all. Now that we got the rain as of 5pm upper Elk still looked very low but did not check the lower end, Walnut was up quite a bit and moving fast but still on the fishable side.Well I am now done with my rant. Every have a safe enjoyable season.

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/02 01:48:02 (permalink)
The streams may be open to the public, but they do not belong to everyone.

Most of Walnut, and Elk is privately owned. Check the stream descriptions.

On the east side, the fishable section of 4 mile can only be accessed thanks to  the kindness of the Golf Club.  If the Golf club denies access, I'll be fishing there, since I'm a member, but few else. The fishing club does not allow access through their property, since some idiot vandalized their property needlessly.

Also, 7 mile creek is totally private property, owned by the Benedictine nuns.

All of upper 20 mile is privately owned. But I've seen cars parked in the farmer's fields.

I have heard complaints about slobs using these areas, like they think they do own them.  Littering, parking improperly, or not accessing
correctly. I've carried out a trashbag full of litter from 4 mile more than
once. Had to tell illiterate folks at 7 mile what walk on fishing only means.
Gotten sworn at when I asked a slob at 4 mile why he didn't take his lunch
trash with him.

If we want to continue fishing these private properties, some of us have
to drop this attitude that "they belong to everyone", and help
police the slobs, before every area ends up like 6 mile, or the falls on 20.

Word to the wise.
post edited by FiveMilePete - 2008/10/02 20:03:51
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/02 08:35:47 (permalink)
EggSac and FiveMilePete are right on the money.  I have encountered people along the streams who are totally ignorant of the fact they have absolutely NO right to be where they are fishing and are under the belief that the streams are open to everyone and they can fish wherever they want.  Outside of the public access areas, that thinking is flat wrong.  There are areas where the Fish Commission has made agreements with the landowners, some land owned by local municipalities, but beyond that, if you are fishing any other section of a stream your are on SOMEONE's property and some of the that property is literally in people's backyards.  PLEASE be considerate of the landowners and their gift to us, access to the streams.

On spoonfeeding issue, there are many on this site who will be more than happy to help just about anyone with how to fish for steelies, give basic weather and stream conditions, what bait or flies that are working, etc.., which is not spoonfeeding.  What I would consider is spoonfeeding is saying to someone you need to go to the third hole past the log pile down from the bridge and stand approximately 20 feet from the head of the hole and cast halfway across the stream and let your bait fall next to the big rock.  There are 23 fish in that hole and they are eating minnows and ignoring the PowerBait... 

The bottom line, there are fish in the streams, in the water I guess I need to say that for some.  They will bite a wide variety of bait and flies when they feel like it.  Get out, walk down the stream, look for fish and cast your bait to them.  The last time I checked that is pretty much what fishing is all about.

Good luck when you come up.

pax vobiscum +
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8508
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/02 08:59:10 (permalink)
Every year the same old thing. Geeze

Ax
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/02 09:04:31 (permalink)
It is like clock work Mika.  And it is always a few not the majority.

Hope you guys do well today and this weekend.  I can't make it up until the 11th.  Gotta get the hunny do list done before the big run starts.
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6356
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/02 09:21:10 (permalink)
As a former creekside landowner (not on the tribs, YET!)  I just want to say that it only takes one or two idiots (I cleaned that one up Mike) to ruin the entire fishing experience for others.  Some of the things that happened on my property over the years include:  Loud music, trash, fires made and then left burning (unattended), picnic table used as a cleaning station, carving board and finally fire wood.  Being cussed at while correcting some slobs (who told me the state puts these fish in here so he had the right to fish for them them) who left trash.  And the worst was the broken beer bottles in the creek.  Through all this I left the land open but grew increasingly steamed.  The capper was when 4 car loads of people came and decided to party/fish/get drunk in my field till 2 am.  The posters went up the next week.
     I have since sold the land and it has been divided and guess what?  It's still posted and probably will be now that there are multiple owners.  And the State won't stock anymore because of the posted land.  Some folks just won't learn.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
MackJ
Expert Angler
RE: Hows the rain fallin? 2008/10/02 09:58:24 (permalink)
It's very encouraging to see the discussion focusing on the real issue, which is angler behavior.  I would bet that no private land open to public use for fishing was ever closed down because of well-behaved anglers-- no matter how many may have lined the creek. 
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: