Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
powerun
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 222
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/19 19:20:55 (permalink)

combat fishing the nut.

other than fishing gear what to bring to survive the wall at walnut(combat fishing). in full season. please let me know.

1,bullet proof vest.(YOU NEVER KNOW) apparently there are no gun's at night at the nut. i was just told if i said that  there were people with gun's other's would never fish there.
2,a translator(to tell every one on the wall FISH ON!) i guess this is not a problem . as i've been told.
3,a pitbull (to save your spot when you stop to use the head) this was just to be funny. but of course some people on this board have no sense of humor.
4,bondo spreader (to get a spot) i was just told there will be a lot of room to fish there this season on the wall at walnut.

i guess if you want to write some thing funny. you must first ask every body on the board for permission. first. just to make sure you don't step on anybody's toe's.

if i offended any body else here on this board for trying to post something funny. not a whiny no place to story.
i am truely sorry.

if you can think of other thing's please let us all know.

sorry for offending you grendel this was just in fun . i have seen other poke fun at the nut before.
so ithought this would be funny.
sorry
dave
post edited by powerun - 2008/09/20 15:44:19

32 Replies Related Threads

Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/19 19:32:50 (permalink)
    a current up to date tetnus shot for the inevitable hook that will probably loge in some part of your body lol lol

I have become comfortably numb
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/19 19:33:09 (permalink)
    Power,

I do not mean to be a smart ****, but you could do what I and others do...avoid it completely!  There are plenty of other places to fish.

Happy Fishing!

Doc

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/19 19:36:47 (permalink)
    powerun
    Avid Angler
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/19 21:53:48 (permalink)
    i put this on for fun. you know humor.  
    ORIGINAL: Grendel

Power,

I do not mean to be a smart ****, but you could do what I and others do...avoid it completely!  There are plenty of other places to fish.

Happy Fishing!

Doc
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/19 21:58:02 (permalink)
    Glock 17 in case somebody draws first.

I have a real problem with the elbow to butthole fishing thing.  Now renamed, aptly, combat fishing.

It is sad to hear that the weekdays are getting bad too.

You can have it for now.  Might be better to wait.

Brent
    drthomasholmes
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/19 22:52:08 (permalink)
     you guys are nuts
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/19 22:56:17 (permalink)
    Patience

Fishmonger
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/19 23:05:54 (permalink)
    Power,

I know that...but there are a significant number of people who are not from the area that believe such "combat" conditions, thus preventing them from enjoying what you and I like to enjoy.  I have spent several hours informing these folks that one does not need to encounter this, and there is plenty of room to fish if one wishes to do so.  I wrote this sort of thing in the forthcoming PSA Newsletter. 

While I enjoy good humor as much as the next person, sometimes the humor is lost and people really believe this to be the truth.  I personally find it disheartening when I hear people giving up on steelhead fishing, or not trying it for the first time because they believe things are really out of control.

I meant no evil in my reply to you.  I was trying to tell the "uninitiated" or those who really do not know all about it, that steelheading can be enjoyed without the "combat" conditions.  It is a "Commonwealth" thing.

Slainte Mhath!

Doc
    post edited by Grendel - 2008/09/19 23:11:15

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Sage4wt
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/20 00:20:01 (permalink)
    Anytime I have ever went to the wall, I get the death stare from many bait fishers bc I have a fly rod. One was even on his cell phone and said"I got to go. There is some ****hole with a fly rod thinking he can fish beside me". Lets just say, I gave him my opinion.  Anyway, I never hit that area anymore. It is way to crowded and there is so much better water above.

DAS BOOT!
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/20 01:03:03 (permalink)
    Rubber Boots and frog toggs to protect you  from the guy with a mouthful of Chew spitting venomous puke around
    post edited by Skip16503 - 2008/09/20 01:18:52

gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/20 07:06:42 (permalink)
    Still safer than wading at Trout Run !! 

post edited by gizmos - 2008/09/20 07:18:27

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/20 07:36:44 (permalink)
    it looks like that for the eye run also i take a boat mot peeps cant throw rocks that far were some what safe i hat when your in a boat and some****comes close enough to net your fish for you i get that on conn from time to time and you just have to tell them i have a flair gun and not affraid to use it they get the hint if they get too close i cast off a old sinder in there boat oops so sorry im new at this its funny the reaction
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/20 09:43:29 (permalink)
    leadmen- your post seems like it would be funny, but I can't read it!
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/20 09:55:18 (permalink)
      I live in Erie, and I avoid the wall altogether. A) Plenty of other places to fish. B) I feel like I should leave that spot for someone who drove a few hours to wet a line. C) Welcome to Thunderdome!
    post edited by Mr.Slickfish - 2008/09/20 10:00:11

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/20 10:05:51 (permalink)
    True Story:

Two years ago while walking up and down a stream and watching the sea of humanity fishing, I noticed a spacious area void of folks except for this one lone soul.  A quick visual scan suggested that there were fish in front of him, but yet, folks did not have him crowded out.  Curiousity got the best of me, so I went over and waded out to him to find out what was up.  Simply stated, "How the hell did you manage from keeping people out of your hip pocket?"

He turned to me with a grin, and pointewd to his gear on the bank of the stream.  In a nice mellow voice he replied:  "Over there in my pile of stuff, you will see a HELP WANTED sign.  When I think it is getting a bit too crowded for my liking, I go over there and wave it around for a few minutes.  You see, the deadbeats, scammers, and the useless want nothing to do with a sign like that.  Although this one time a younger feller did ask me about a job.  I told him the story, but did arrange a job interview for him through my company.  With that sign, not only do i have elbow room, but I also have room to spit my Copenhagen."

Now that is a man of GENIOUS!

Doc
    post edited by Grendel - 2008/09/20 10:07:12

harryape5
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 82
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/20 17:33:27 (permalink)
    I used to fish the Manchester hole regularly and 97% of the time fished elbow to elbow and unlike many others I had great times and caught fish But I must have been lucky because with the exception of a few times everyone co-operated and laughed and joked and shared Information.I guess what I'm trying to say "It is what it is.'"This isn't the far north. Solitude and pristine conditions don't exist but yet a good time can be had by all. I now fish numerous places just to try them .

post edited by harryape5 - 2008/09/20 17:34:34
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/20 21:41:15 (permalink)
    I like to just eat a few bowls of the ol hot chili, a couple deer meat sandwiches, and drink a dozen bruskis the night before i go. Needless to say i keep a 50yd radius clear for fishing in the morning where ever i go.
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/21 08:07:52 (permalink)
    I hope you know I was only kidding about the Glock comment.

I wouln't carry a handgun inside my waders. . .as far as you know.

I agree that on the tribs where it is most crowded there can be spats.  Mostly macho guys puffin' their chests.  I have seen more actual fights at a local boat launch!  If you go there with the mindset that you are going to be fishing in a crowd and you are prepared. . .talking to people around you can be part of the fun.  I have learned so much just WATCHING people around me, even if they were tight lipped.

This kind of fishing is the big brother to typical PA put and take stockie fishing.  It looks like the first day all the time in Erie, but the same things apply.  If you can't accept that it is this way, fish somewhere else or for something else.

Brent
    muttly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/21 09:14:09 (permalink)

really dont like to fish elbows to butholes --have done it --always do it with the mind set that we all have the right to fish --some abuse that right --get pushy --then i go up stream --i like the walking and sight seeing and exploring --found out yesterday that there were fish in holes only and all the way up to the second bridge--turned back there --most likely fish farther too--take care

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/21 09:17:24 (permalink)
    Buy some skunk pee and you,ll have your own little spot!

joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/21 09:35:29 (permalink)
    Few years back a friend gave me a fish bat to club steelhead with. I clubbed a few and besides the visual you heard this lout "Ping!" sound. That got me a few extra yards of room. One guy commented "Jesus, I've fished Erie for 20 years and never seen anything like that." I once even asked a guy with a trophy fish on if he wanted me to start swinging at the fish (instead of offering a net like many others.) He politely declined. I decided eventually there were better ways of dispatching a fish. Pocket knife thru the gills while bloody, is a little more subtle.
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/21 09:49:29 (permalink)
    I personally dont like crowds either. You can educate yourself a little if you just go for a long walk up stream. You might be supprized to see steelies in places you thought youd never see them. All you need is polarized glasses, a little patience and stamina to walk a few miles . Learn a little about the layout of the stream you are fishing and you can catch more fish.Oh yeah one more thing, take a buddy with you ,one to park at your starting point and one to park at your finishing point. If you get tired at the end of your journey and dont want to walk all the way back you can drive back. Thats just my take on the issue. Good fishin to all.
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/21 10:27:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: powerun

other than fishing gear what to bring to survive the wall at walnut(combat fishing). in full season. please let me know.

1,bullet proof vest.(YOU NEVER KNOW) apparently there are no gun's at night at the nut. i was just told if i said that  there were people with gun's other's would never fish there.
    2,a translator(to tell every one on the wall FISH ON!) i guess this is not a problem . as i've been told.
    3,a pitbull (to save your spot when you stop to use the head) this was just to be funny. but of course some people on this board have no sense of humor.
    4,bondo spreader (to get a spot) i was just told there will be a lot of room to fish there this season on the wall at walnut.

i guess if you want to write some thing funny. you must first ask every body on the board for permission. first. just to make sure you don't step on anybody's toe's.

if i offended any body else here on this board for trying to post something funny. not a whiny no place to story.
    i am truely sorry.

if you can think of other thing's please let us all know.

sorry for offending you grendel this was just in fun . i have seen other poke fun at the nut before.
    so ithought this would be funny.
    sorry
    dave

Power,

As I explained in numerous PMs with you, I was not offended.  I was just pointing out that not everyone understands the humor in the "combat fishinh" arena, and thus, may be deterred from fishing alltogether.  The net result, fewer people come up to fish.  While some would say that is ok that will thin the crowds, the negative is that the success of the easement and access program hinges on angler $$$$$$.  Got the point now?

In sum, not everyone gets the humor.  I found that out last year at the Pymatuning Waterfowl EXpo last fall.  Folks down there actually believe there is no place to fish, and the steelheaders carry guns and act like idiots in Erie.

Understand the point now?

Doc

powerun
    Avid Angler
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/21 10:56:00 (permalink)
    BOY do these thread's go way of text's, this was a thread about the wall and what was needed to fish it in full swing of the season. i was exposed to be funny. wow i got told that my thread was distastfull . boy that is surprizing that people can't tell the diffrence between a joke & reality. then people think you are complaining about no where to fish!. there is a lot of places on the trib's to fish and i was'nt complaining. this thread was exposed to be a funny thread. by the way why would i complain about the crowed's they don't bother me. i live 8 ten's of a mile from uper elk creek. 1/2  mile from lamson run, 8.1 miles from the mouth of walnut, 15.6 mile's from the mouth of elk, 12.7 miles from trout run. what is there for me to complain about . nothing . not gas prices ,crowdes, no fish in the creek, these are not my complaint's .i have walked most of upper elk creek i know places in full run or full swing of the season. that you can have a stretch of the bank and not see a fellow for 200 or 300 yard's .and yes on elk creek . and yes there will be lot's of fish in these holes on upper elk. as i said this was exposed to have been a funny post. can anyone start a funny post about the nut and not get neg-feed back . be my guest. i'm done!.  later
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/21 11:18:54 (permalink)
    It was exposed for sure.

LOL - that was a joke...get it?

Doc

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/21 11:20:08 (permalink)
    If you possess a conceiled weapons permit, you may certainly carry your gun to Walnut, day or night.

But on the wall topic...I'm like Grendel, I try to avoid it as much as possible.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/09/21 11:21:23

leadmen
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1001
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/21 11:46:19 (permalink)
    the one way to keep them out of your way is start casting around a lure you dont mind loosing  you put a ugly twister on a spoon and cast like hell in ther way in the boat over there head and say ims new at this  did i gets you they buzz on out real fast i had a guy at conn do that he bird dogged me all up and down the river i gave him a couple cast over his boat and his head he got ****ed bit the line off and got out of the river it was funny but i got rid of him always carry spare spool
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/21 12:09:55 (permalink)
    Yep, cast at boats. Brilliant.
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: combat fishing the nut. 2008/09/21 16:59:54 (permalink)
    fish upstream further, get some excercise.... maybe less fish but itll challenge you instead of fishing in a hatchery pond
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: