how many fish does it take??

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
egg sac
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 517
  • Reward points: 0
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 20:58:28 (permalink)
Guess I am a bit spoiled from so many years fishing tribs of pa, ny, ohio and michigan cause when I go I expect to catch fish every time. Confidence in my opion is a good bit of the battle of getting into fish cause if you belive in what your doing you will impilment it alot better then just hopping you can. What constitudes a good day of fishing to me varies depending on conditions, crowds and areas. If I can get an area of stream to myself with nobody in sight and land a few fish I am very satisfied.But if I am in a crowd of people catching more helps me deal with the zoo..lol. Personaly by mid season I can and do get a bit bored with Pa steelhead only for the shear fact that of zero varity. Realy miss the cohos alot and this is the reason I travel to ny so much. Pa steelhead are great but to land a king, coho, brown and steelhead in the same day is were its at.It just boils down to your expitations to me on home waters I expect more fish the farther from home the less fish I expect to be satistified. If I go to a new water way and get into a few I am estatic but in same sence on home waters if fishing is slow I will get bummed.

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2987
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 21:21:11 (permalink)
I kinda feel the same way, Eggy.
I'm lucky that I live close so I really don't care how many I catch but I do have expectations. That is, "I better catch more than a few".

In fact, I drive 3 hours to the Salmon River in Early September. Sometimes I get skunked, especially when I guessed wrong and there aren't many early runners of kings and cohos.
Here's the thing. I feel that a fishless day on the Salmon River was every bit worth the trip more-so than driving 20 minutes to the local stream and only getting a couple steelhead. Now, early in the season I'm happy with catching a couple steelys after work. This evening, I caught two jacks on the shoreline. I was'nt thrilled about it. I was hoping top catch bigger fish. But, it was no big deal, either.
post edited by dano - 2008/09/16 21:23:31

Gone Fishing
egg sac
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 517
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 21:37:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dano

I kinda feel the same way, Eggy.
I'm lucky that I live close so I really don't care how many I catch but I do have expectations. That is, "I better catch more than a few".

In fact, I drive 3 hours to the Salmon River in Early September. Sometimes I get skunked, especially when I guessed wrong and there aren't many early runners of kings and cohos.
Here's the thing. I feel that a fishless day on the Salmon River was every bit worth the trip more-so than driving 20 minutes to the local stream and only getting a couple steelhead. Now, early in the season I'm happy with catching a couple steelys after work. This evening, I caught two jacks on the shoreline. I was'nt thrilled about it. I was hoping top catch bigger fish. But, it was no big deal, either.

I so know about the Salmon rivers unpredictabilty for sure. Went up a few days after hearing of a major coho run a few falls ago only to get their and see that 95 percent of the run had blown the entire river and were at the hatchery already( unreal numbers of cohos litery hunderds possibly a grand plus). Was lucky enough to finaly land one in the fly zone below the hatchery so that made my day, but it sure is along drive for little results.Can not complain to much though as we stopped at the Oak on the way back and got into a ton of early kings and a few browns-n cohos so all was well and good.

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 22:14:36 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: streamrunner

Its being a long long time since I posted but had to respond to Genieman,

Runner

RUNNER!!!

Man, I read your post and could "feel it quivering"...

..L.T.A.
pheasant tail 2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 22:28:23 (permalink)
Wow, a blast from the past. Runner how are you doing?

Take care

PT 
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 22:36:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: coolerfull1

I'm not there for the scenery or just to 'get out'.  I want to catch fish.  Why are people so afraid to admit that.  I have been on the streams countless times when I heard people complain of wasting vacation days becasue the fishing sucked.  I get on here and everybody acts like a saint.  If I wanted to just 'get out' I could stand in my backyard.  If it's nice to just get out on the stream, why not pick any stream, why Erie streams?

I'll tell you "I'M" there to "catch" fish.
I might jump at the chance to sling junk at 6 or 8 fish, but I also "expect" to hook up a couple of those.

I'm fortunate that my livelihood allows me to chase steel pretty  often for a "non" local.
And the truth is, some years I've found enough fish dumb enough to bite my junk that I kind of get bored by early winter.

Never the less, none of us are out there to fish, we're out there to "catch"

..L.T.A.
kyler16
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2396
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/17 04:41:15 (permalink)
my first 4 trips to erie I was skunked. hooked into a few but never landed any. But I was already addicted. then a cold day dec 4th 2006 I finally landed my first steelhead and the fever has been flowing through my veins  since. I keep job hunting/house hunting for something in or around erie just hoping for the right oppertuinity. Thats why I asked an odd question in an off the topic subjects.

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
-Steve Rinella
FisherChic
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 789
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/17 07:23:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: coolerfull1

ORIGINAL: griffon

As long as there are respectable fish populations present, my trip has been "worth it".  Travelling two hours to a creek that is void of fish is not worth it to me. 

I agree, I'm not there for the scenery or just to 'get out'.  I want to catch fish.  Why are people so afraid to admit that.  I have been on the streams countless times when I heard people complain of wasting vacation days becasue the fishing sucked.  I get on here and everybody acts like a saint.  If I wanted to just 'get out' I could stand in my backyard.  If it's nice to just get out on the stream, why not pick any stream, why Erie streams?

we do fish other streams in our area, and recently discussed trying out some areas in WV.
of course we'd like to catch some fish, but if we make plans to travel to an area to fish, we plan cool things to do when the fish aren't biting.
carcus1211
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 457
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/17 09:48:03 (permalink)
they were using single eggs and power bait that was green.... the power bait i was using was orange/pink with sparkles (sounds something like my wife would wear).  Although, i think it was the estrogen cause she kept landing them and he only landed about 3.  I am going out Saturday morning after i drop my wife off and should be there around 8:30-8:45.  Just gotta see if BassAckwards wants to drive up.  I will get some dry flies.  Any suggestions?

LoveGlove United
spawnchucker
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/17 11:58:35 (permalink)
How many never tells the hole story. 

Having taking hundreds of 1-2+ hour trips threw the years have taught me what to expect at what times of year and have given a wealth of experience to make decent decisions of how to make an outing "decent" and catch some fish even in the toughest of conditions.  A few things I've come to realize that sometimes make (or break) my day are as follows.  These obviously are just my opinions

a.  No amount of fish make up for the zoo atmosphere of crowds and I therefore typically attempt to avoid them.
b.  Helping out a "newbie" tie into a few on occasion has nearly always made my outing a bit more special and meaningful.
c.  Fishing new waters even if far from home is always (for me) about learning water and sections of river and rarely only about catching big numbers as I know that will come with time/experience.
d.  It's much more gratifying finding fish without direct assistance or "spoonfeeding".

It's worth it to me if I'm smiling reflecting on what occured while driving home.  Sometimes it's someone I met, sometimes (of course) it is how many I caught, sometimes it's I found fish in a spot I never caught before, sometimes it's discovering a strategically mother-nature placed tree that I know is ure to hold fish, sometimes it's just making it there/home safely while seeing numerous cars losing it on icy roads, sometimes it's having the persistance to avoid the skunk by figuring out other options in trying conditions, but often it's the dayful of memories shared with those I've been fortunate enough to fish with the past several years. 

To put a pricetag ($/fish landed) based on gas, gear, food, lodging, etc. just typically isn't in the cards for me as some things are truly priceless.  There are times (even recently) I've driven three hours for just a few hours of fishing and a handful of fish.  Call me crazy or stupid, but for me that's just part of the passion, journey, and obsession known as steelhead fishing.

Tight Lines,

Chucker   
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/17 12:03:27 (permalink)
fisherchic,
if you wanna fish wv try down around bemis, its near elkins, nice water, they stock it by rail, beautiful mountains, etc.
rureadytofish
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 95
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/17 12:18:43 (permalink)
As I think back on my most memorable fishing moments, I can't help but see that most of them came without me even holding a fishing rod. Don't get me wrong, I like to catch fish as much as the next guy, but most memorable moments seemed to occur without even fishing. When I take my son or my daughter, my rod stays in the truck. They have my undivided attention. They are now getting good enough that I can start fishing again. I also make a trip or two a year just to do what my girlfriend wants. She never bitc&$5 when I say I want to go fishing so I think that I owe her that. She loves Erie and the Niagra Area and what they have to offer, so we ride up every year just to look around and watch others. She has become quite a fisherperson herself and I attribute that to the fact that she watched others and learned. But the most memorable moment to date is the last time I took my dad fishing. I didn't know it would be the last, but it was. He had a stroke, and I carried him to the stream, I will always have that!!
carcus1211
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 457
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/18 09:12:56 (permalink)
stupid question.... what is the absolute proper way to handle a steelie without hurting them?  I'm talking minimal stress, no damage the the eggs, anything.  Thanks guys.

LoveGlove United
FisherChic
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 789
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/18 10:43:12 (permalink)
the area in WV I was looking at was the Blackwater Falls state park. http://www.blackwaterfalls.com/recreation.htm
it looks like Elkins is a little farther south on the map.
thanks!
post edited by FisherChic - 2008/09/18 10:44:20
muttly
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/18 16:57:41 (permalink)
i have spent many days along the creeks in erie county watershed and not caught a darn thing --disappointing --yes--but i keep coming back --just love to get along the creek --takes me about 6 1/2 hours round trip to elk creek --but i always get excited and cant sleep the nite before --last year was my best year and i caught alot of steelhead --but still had days when never got a bite --this weekend i start to go back to erie --will most likely be there every weekend --it is what i like to do --when i land a nice steel i am like a little kid --yahooooooooo
mgolf92
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 378
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/18 18:08:21 (permalink)
Wow muttly, that's dedication.  I don't know whats keeping you where you are, but it may be worth it to get a place up here, considering what you must spend in lodging/gas/food..
steelheadman28
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 393
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/18 18:28:56 (permalink)
     Coming from 2 hours away if I dont land or hookup with a fish at first i feel disappointed. But as I sit there and think its a lot better than sitting at home doing nothing or being at school for me, I start to think thats great. Also for me I basically just like the hookset thats for me basically what it is all about if I land it sure thats great I catch and release but truthfully the hookset is great. I really dont have to ask those questions because I pay attention to the weather and how much rain it will take to make the creek rise. Also how long it takes to clear out. So a lot of attention must be payed to steelhead fishing also research.
streamrunner
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/19 19:20:25 (permalink)
Hey Genieman and PT. Looking forward to getting up there soon and making some sore lips... all have a good one and be safe out there. Yes it still is quivering, and doing great PT. Have some news on the old school house.
Rocky2008
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/20 11:06:51 (permalink)
im coming from Altoona about a 4 hour drive..as long as there are fish around ill be there first week of oct...no wife,no kids, something should happen in that week...
wishfishin
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 519
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/20 14:32:45 (permalink)
I drive about 6 hours each way to get to Erie.  On my first trip, I just hoped I would catch one steelhead.  I've fished enough to know that you don't always get fish, and to enjoy fishing and not just catching.  But I did hope to catch at least one. 

When I got there and saw the numbers of fish--almost comical, really--my expectations changed.  Being completely honest, now if I drove the whole way to Erie and didn't get the chance to fight at least a few fish, I'd be disappointed.

There are lots of beautiful places a lot closer to home where I can enjoy the experience of fishing.  Fishing the Potomac, virtually in my back yard, for bluegills and the occasional smallmouth on a fly, is completely satisfying.  When I go to Erie,  I do go not just to "fish" but to enjoy fighting chrome.  I won't put numbers with it; on my first trip so far this year I caught fewer fish than later in the season.  But there was no one else fishing the areas we were fishing,  the steel was fresh and full of fight (some of the jumps and runs at this time of year are almost unbelievable), the water was gin clear and you could sight fish individual fish and watch the take.  That trip was as satisfying as it gets. 

Also, to each their own, but I don't care to fish when numbers are perhaps the greatest but the fish are cold and sluggish. 
><>er man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 233
RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/20 17:03:56 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Bughawk

I wonder if it makes a difference in your expectations if you have fishing for steelies for a long time or if you are new to the sport?  Also, I wonder if distance and the number of trips per year has some influence on your expectations as well?  What about the distance?  I have heard a wide variety of responses here and am curious.  There is no right or wrong answer.

I once was fishing on Walnut and watched a couple of guys snagging fish and keeping them.  When I mentioned that snagged fish are legal to keep the answer I got back was something like, "We came along ways for these fish and we are taking our limit home and I should butt out.  After all the fish are put here for people to take so what difference did it make how they ended up on the end of the rope."  I was distrubed with this attitude and behavior, but I wonder how many others, while you may not keep snagged fish, but because your time is limited tend to fish harder, feel a bit more stress, get upset when the fish are not biting, you get angry if someone is fishing in the spot you were hoping to fish, etc...  How do you respond?  Just curious and again there is no right or wrong answer.

I guess what I am asking if you only make a couple of trips up, do you feel pressure to bring home a limit and how do you deal with the stress if you have stress?

i live in ebensburg 3hours + drive and i never resort to snagging those people are the ones that give us non locals a bad name what makes it even worse is these fish are easier to catch than sunfish (if you have the right knowledge) i just don't understand why snag fish just P@#%ES ME OFF!!!!! I'M APOLOGIZE  FOR THOSE PEOPLE FROM MY AREA THAT HAVE TO BE LIKE THAT
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: