Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/15 21:18:30 (permalink)

how many fish does it take??

Let me preface by saying I'm not being a wise guy or poking fun at anyone in any way.
Just genuinely curious

Over the years I see the same/similar questions asked over and over.

"is it worth it"

"should I come up"

I know we all love to see hundreds of dumb fish willing to bite any junk we toss at 'em.
I can dig  the increase in gas costs to chase the Silver Bullets
(which is a considerable amount   to some of our "far away" friends)
and it's sure not "cheap" anymore for us that travel 1 to 2 hours for our chrome fix

I'm kind of curious "how many" fish and what conditions make it "worth it" to you?

I know there are a lot locals here, but I'm really interested in the boys and girls that have to travel a minimum of 45 minutes to the nearest steelie

Thanks

..L.T.A.

80 Replies Related Threads

Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/15 21:25:49 (permalink)
    Given the limit is three, Once I have caught a "limit" (catching and releasing), I believe in my mind I have achieved success.  

That should remain true since I have a 3 hr. trip to fish for slime now.  No more short trips down the road.   lol

Good question.

Doc
    post edited by Grendel - 2008/09/15 21:40:38

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/15 21:36:44 (permalink)
    I personally don't think that the number of fish caught is making it worth it. Sure, everyone thinks about it in the back of their head but I rather think of how many hours I had on the water, and if it was a good experience.

Obviously amount of fish could be linked to the experience but that only makes up a margain. At the end of the day I'm happy, 5-6 hours on the water, get to see some beautiful fish, and to leave satified.

Once again how many could be tied into there. I think if you care to much about oh how many did I catch it really takes away from the whole experience....
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/15 21:39:07 (permalink)
    doen't really matter...or the flows (aside from an IVANish blow out)

go up have fun... i'm also not one to say "35 fish and 26hookups"

sidenote.... how do you guys keep track of that many landed while keeping track of hookups too?
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/15 21:45:43 (permalink)
    I agree, good question.  I, like most people in here, am pretty passionate about fishing.  Don't get me wrong, I love catching fish when I get out, but just being out there trying to outsmart an animal with a brain the size of a pea is half the fun.  Do I feel disappointed when I go out and have a bad day and get skunked?  No...it simply feeds the fire for me and makes me work harder the next time I'm out.  Being an avid muskie fisherman has definitely instilled that attitude within me.  When I have an off day, my attitude is that my odds can only be better the next time I'm out there.  When I'm fishing, I'm away from work and all of the hectic day to day stresses that I go through and most of us can relate with.  Therefore I'm thankful just to be able to be out there relaxing and having fun, catching fish is just a huge bonus that goes along with all that.  With all that said, the more time you put into it, the more you learn and the more bonuses you will achieve.

I just got a camp at Erie this past summer, thats how passionate I am about it.  However, its not just the steelhead that brought me there.  Its ALL the many opportunities that Erie has to offer.  Family fun, wineries, beaches and to top it all off the vast fishing opportunities....Bass, walleye, steelhead, pike, muskie, perch, etc.  If you really love fishing, Erie is the place to be IMO.  The kicker is that its only a little over an hour away from my home and the rest of my family loves it there...what more can I ask for? 
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/09/15 22:07:18

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/15 21:49:59 (permalink)
    In my opinion, if there are fish in the creeks, it's probably worth it. I used to ask that question, until I realized you can't judge how well you'll do based on someone elses report.

I've never trusted the fishing reports, and always considered it more of a bragging board for people to exaggerate. I've gone on days where I caught so many I couldn't keep track, and days where i've only caught one fish. Regardless, fishing is fun even when the fish aren't cooperating, and if someone is going fishing just to keep score, their missing the point.
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/15 21:50:46 (permalink)
    KJH yeeeessssssssss finally someone who finally sees the light,after 6 or so i am having way way too much fun to count. these guys who say 36 hooked 23 landed really should be playing basketball or something i break it down like this bad day,good day great day and like so many of the great counters,exceptional day 100 plus hook ups with a 88 percent landed ratio lol

I have become comfortably numb
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/15 22:48:28 (permalink)
    Love the total experience, fish or no fish. 
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/15 23:07:29 (permalink)
    I drive over 2 hours to get there. Today was worth it, whatever your parameters are.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/15 23:07:37 (permalink)
    I just want to be fishing, but my goal is to catch one fish.  Once I have one fish on the line, even if don't land it, that is fine with me.

pax vobiscum +
    Chainsaw
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/15 23:15:49 (permalink)
    Well, looks like i started something i was not supposed to. I don't need alot of fish to say i had a great day Heck I don't even need to land one. If i can hook into a couple I'll be happy. Now with that said  it's a 3 hour drive for me. It would be like walking into a bar after a long ride just to find out they have no more beer. I apoligize if I started some thing wrong and after i think about it you guys probably get the same questions all the time . just wanted to know if there was a chance at landing one out of the creek
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/15 23:17:46 (permalink)
    Never fished steelies, but 2 perch is worth my drive which is an hour & 15 min.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/15 23:25:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Chainsaw

Well, looks like i started something i was not supposed to. I don't need alot of fish to say i had a great day Heck I don't even need to land one. If i can hook into a couple I'll be happy. Now with that said  it's a 3 hour drive for me. It would be like walking into a bar after a long ride just to find out they have no more beer. I apoligize if I started some thing wrong and after i think about it you guys probably get the same questions all the time . just wanted to know if there was a chance at landing one out of the creek

don't take it personally...

go with the right attitiude...1 fish is better than no fish
    if you get 0 fish... learn something, make what you thought to be an impossible cast, spook fish with bad cast... so you know when you make a correct one, learn something that you had no idea about or didn't know existed

BUT if you have to plan only 1 weekend all year to come up... wait to NOV or DEC
    ><>er man
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/15 23:30:31 (permalink)
    well....... I guess to me just being there is enough i don't have to catch fish to have it be worth wile even tho it takes me 3 hours + to get there it's not about the catching it's all about the experience

although when there's a small wager on the day it's fun to count 
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/15 23:32:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: FlashDance

I drive over 2 hours to get there. Today was worth it, whatever your parameters are.

Woulda been allot more "worth it" if you didn't break off that hog eh?

I've been lucky enough to have lots of time to spend fishing. So if there is 1 in there to be caught, it's worth it to me.  If I could only fish a few days a year (a few to me would be less than 50 days a year), then when there wasn't as many steelhead around early on, I'd probably spend those days targeting some other species somewhere.  Although I'd still want to spend a day or two before the masses show up targeting the handfull of fish here and there.  

A 2 hour trip isn't bad, it only costs an arm. Now, if it was a 4 hour trip,and it cost an arm and a leg, then I'd want to wait for the big run. A 5 or 6 hour trip,  I'd probably go twice  in November and that's about it.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 00:15:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Chainsaw

Well, looks like i started something i was not supposed to.

Not at all, Chainsaw.
    Nothing wrong with your question
    BTW welcome.
    These type threads come up all the time, year after year.
    I don't think yours was even the first this year, and I'm sure there will be more of the same this year.

I guess I see it from "my" perspective as far as "is it worth it"
    It's a 90+ mile drive one way for me.
    I also drive/fish alone more often than not.
    If given the opportunity, I'm up slingin'  junk at the first 6 steelies that sneek past the Wall of Nutz.
    be it gin clear no flow water, to 6" visibility moving out water.

so when someone asks.."should i go", it's easy for me to say,   heeeeelllll YYYYAAAA

but to others, it's nothing close to being "worth it" to them

I can dig it either way.
    Just don't know what makes it "worth it" to others

...l.T.A.
    post edited by genieman77 - 2008/09/16 00:17:12
    McFishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 00:32:13 (permalink)
    coming from 6 hours away i'll say that like many on here, just the fact of fishing somewhere is enough for me. especially with the change of scenery and the time spent with fellow friends and fisherman. yeah, im not going to lie, if i made the trip up and didn't catch a single fish, i would be pretty dissapointed. but no so much with the fishing as with myself. i feel that someone who fishes 200+ days out of the year should be able to manage 1 fish, it they are there. but thats not always how it happens. i guess it's just a matter of how much you love to fish. im happy just getting out of the house and away from this college.
    Sage4wt
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 00:48:05 (permalink)
    I drive 3 hours and for me just catching one fish or nothing at all is a hell of a lot better than being at work. I just love the experience and being on the water. Ofcourse when you are pounding them, it always makes the day so much better.

DAS BOOT!
    PAsalmonangler
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 01:46:27 (permalink)
    A friend of mine has this little golf score counter he uses to keep track of hook ups and fish landed, it cracks me up. I personnaly dont care how many i hook/ land. If some one asks me how i did i say Uhhhh.....scratch my head.....i think like a dozen!? Even if the number is more like 25 hooked/15 landed.  Although i do pay lots of attention to the number i've landed versus hooked.  My dream is to one day be perfect.  I've been close a few times! Other times in low clear water i use two lb fluro with a single egg and sight fish them.  Just like to feel the fight for a little bit before they bust off.

P.S. If you want a challenge this year, try taking a nine foot three weight, and two lb tippet, see how many you can land!  Just dont do it around a bunch of other anglers, it takes a while to land one if you are good enough! 
    Screamin Steel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 246
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 03:07:22 (permalink)
    I go fishing to catch fish. I hunt to bag whatever I am after. I can't say that I view my hunting and fishing as relaxing endeavors, though they are certainly enjoyable and rewarding. I usually return from an outing very exhausted. That said, I DO gauge a trips success by what I was able to catch or bag.....but when it comes to fishing I usually start out counting and hopefully lose count at some point! I don't keep count to brag, but to gauge that day in comparison to other days. I rarrely know exactly how many I caught, but know that maybe I lst count in the teens and caught a few more, or something like that. When I met my wife, we tried fishing together, but she lost interest. said I'm too serious, and don't talk much when I fish. I don't birdwatch or pay a whole lot of attention to the pretty leaves when I'm deer hunting, though I definitely love the smell of the fall woods, and the scenery as a backdrop to my adventure, When it boils down to it, maybe as I get older and my energy levels and probably my health decline I will stop to smell the roses a litle more than I do now. Till then I've got deer to kill and fish to catch. Not that I've anthing to prove to anyone else. Just myelf, I guess.
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 06:59:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bughawk

I just want to be fishing, but my goal is to catch one fish.  Once I have one fish on the line, even if don't land it, that is fine with me.

That says it for me too !! 5 secs. with a fish on and I'm good.

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 07:32:01 (permalink)
    if i want an "Expirience" i will go to wills creek in late spring, enjoy the mountains and catch some fish, totally enjoying the privacy and peace.  I drive to erie to do the shoulder to shoulder thing to catch fish. im just being honest. That being said Ive never had a 50 fish day on the tribs. hell, ive never had a 5 fish day on the tribs. Ive driven 3 hrs and fished 2 days to be skunked, not even a bite.  this sucks, im there to catch fish.  This is just my opinion.  I will continue to come back. over and over again.  The opportunity to catch a trout that can wiegh into the teen, thats just too much to turn down.  Its not about keeping fish to me, although i always keep my first one to smoke, (because i love it with crackers and a cold yuengling haha), and I dont know if i will catch another one.  Just my Honest opinion.  I cover lots of water, and try everything.  My day will come im sure, and Thats why i keep coming back!
    RIP SOME LIP
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 08:02:09 (permalink)
    There is always a place to fish for steelies from late September to early spring.  You just have to get creative.
    1. Everyone wants to fish the creeks, ok, the East Side Creeks become fishable first after a rain, followed by Walnut, followed by Elk (assuming the rain fell consistent in Erie county and the surrounding area).  This is great because there have been many times I have fished Twenty in the early AM followed by Walnut followed by Elk at the end of the day chasing that perfect fishing water.
    2. If the creeks are completely blown out, check the lake?  Where is the mudline.  Grab the Cleos and start casting.  If the creeks have dirty mouths, walk either way until you find clear water.  There are a lot of unpressured fish all along the shoreline.
    3. If the lake is completely blown out, keep those Cleos on and head to either wall at the mouth of Presque Isle and start throwing.  You won't be dissapointed.  If you're on the East Side, stop at the North East Marina and toss those Cleos.

#3 is usually a sure bet to catch one or two, at least you're fishing steelie waters that don't look like chocolate milk.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 08:25:07 (permalink)
    I wonder if it makes a difference in your expectations if you have fishing for steelies for a long time or if you are new to the sport?  Also, I wonder if distance and the number of trips per year has some influence on your expectations as well?  What about the distance?  I have heard a wide variety of responses here and am curious.  There is no right or wrong answer.

I once was fishing on Walnut and watched a couple of guys snagging fish and keeping them.  When I mentioned that snagged fish are legal to keep the answer I got back was something like, "We came along ways for these fish and we are taking our limit home and I should butt out.  After all the fish are put here for people to take so what difference did it make how they ended up on the end of the rope."  I was distrubed with this attitude and behavior, but I wonder how many others, while you may not keep snagged fish, but because your time is limited tend to fish harder, feel a bit more stress, get upset when the fish are not biting, you get angry if someone is fishing in the spot you were hoping to fish, etc...  How do you respond?  Just curious and again there is no right or wrong answer.

I guess what I am asking if you only make a couple of trips up, do you feel pressure to bring home a limit and how do you deal with the stress if you have stress?

pax vobiscum +
    Uncle Kevin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 08:32:15 (permalink)
    I have to travel 6+ hours to get to the Tribs and my first trip was for 3 days in late Dec between Christmas and New Years.  Conditions were close to being blown out but I was able to catch and release one fish each day and was addicted to Chrome from that point on.

...just watch for the twitch and then bring on the thunder!
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 08:36:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: PAsalmonangler

A friend of mine has this little golf score counter he uses to keep track of hook ups and fish landed, it cracks me up. I personnaly dont care how many i hook/ land. If some one asks me how i did i say Uhhhh.....scratch my head.....i think like a dozen!? Even if the number is more like 25 hooked/15 landed.  Although i do pay lots of attention to the number i've landed versus hooked.  My dream is to one day be perfect.  I've been close a few times! Other times in low clear water i use two lb fluro with a single egg and sight fish them.  Just like to feel the fight for a little bit before they bust off.

P.S. If you want a challenge this year, try taking a nine foot three weight, and two lb tippet, see how many you can land!  Just dont do it around a bunch of other anglers, it takes a while to land one if you are good enough! 

that is probably the dumbest thing i have ever heard... i joke about the counters, and assumed i was just braggarts exaggerating

but, to each his own... right?
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 08:36:32 (permalink)
    "Woulda been allot more "worth it" if you didn't break off that hog eh?"

That's not funny !!! Well, actually, today it is. Yesterday not so much so.

"If given the opportunity, I'm up slingin'  junk at the first 6 steelies that sneek past the Wall of Nutz.
    be it gin clear no flow water, to 6" visibility moving out water."

That's beautiful right there. I don't know anybody like that

Jim is making fun of me because I had a monster jump on my junk yesterday morning. Blasted fish decided he wanted to swim back to the lake. He moved quicker than me.

Funny in retrospect, but sad in that it was probably the biggest fish I'll hook all year.

Never, ever expected a fish that size to be where he was on September 15.

Oh well. Could be a good sign that there may be lots of bigons this year.
    post edited by FlashDance - 2008/09/16 08:37:22
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 08:39:30 (permalink)
    I'm beyond counting. I want "the big one". I truly enjoy taking a "newbie" and watching the expression on their face when they finally hook one. I have a couple nephews that will be making their first trip with me this season. They do pretty well with run of the mill stocked trout, but I can't wait for them to experience hooking a Volkswagen and trying to stop it from running back to the lake. Being on the tribs and combat angling during a big run is fun, but I prefer later in the season, when it's frosty, and you actually have to exhibit some skill to hook and land a steelie. These are the ones that I remember. 

Fishmonger
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 08:45:54 (permalink)
    As soon as I am suited up and walking away from my car its been a good day Helping someone get into their first makes it a great day.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: how many fish does it take?? 2008/09/16 08:48:56 (permalink)
    bug,
    i do feel a bit of stress when i go steelhead fishing.  i mean, its not like im going to go shoot up a walmart if i dont catch fish, but if you drive 3+ hrs to get there, spend 300+ dollars, and burn 2 vacation days, use everything in your arsenal, cover a ton of ground, only to have someone walk in behind you, fish the hole you were just fishing, and catch 2 fish in 10 mins?  that makes a person wonder what they are doing wrong.  To deal with it I just throw in a little grizzly wintergreen longcut, and thank god im not in crippled or something. just my opinion.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: