No deer in Pa.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
  • Reward points: 0
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/15 13:51:13 (permalink)
No, your story was to illustrate that a 1.5 yo doe averaged 135.  You said it, not me.  Talk about spewing CRAP.

I did look that up.  Actually, there is evidence, a very well fed spike will OUTGROW your 1.5 yo 8 pt. in 5 years.  I'm still waiting on your argument about inferior genes, mixed with doe genes.  I think I'll be waiting for a real long time...  and as for me asking for a better way, you can't come up with that either.  At least realistically.  I'm CERTAINLY not going to feed on your crap because that's exactly what it is.  I feed on the crap I see with my own eyes.

You seem to think genetics is the only game in town.  Guess what, it's not, and the genetics here are staying here.  It's something, you, me and every PA hunter have no control over.  However, you DO have control over available feed and age, the two far more important issues in healthy deer.

How did PA's deer herd follow scientific principles in decades past??   It didn't at all.  Did you whine then??

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/15 13:51:23 (permalink)
"Your state police analogy was almost good.  I don't blame the state police for me going 65 in a 35.  I do blame the legislature for posting the speed limit at 65 in a school zone."

Do they lower the speed limit on the interstate in winter, when the roads are icy? Or do they expect YOU to use some judgement, and ADJUST your speed according to conditions? 

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/15 21:12:07 (permalink)
I can't believe all the free publicity "the general" is getting here ????

I do find it interesting much of his "tactics" are present in alot of these posts....

~~"the guy from the PGC" .. notice NO NAME....

~~ "the AVERAGE weight of a 1.5 year old is 135 pounds" ... then changing it because it is proven to be NOT true..

~~ the old idea that "the general" speaks for the majority ,,that is a REAL JOKE.... I have NEVER met one SINGLE person in this area that supports any of his "STUFF"  (met in person and having a discussion)... the only support I see the guy gettings is on message boards in some posts and WHO KNOWS who is really writing those ????

One thing -  those posts usally have the same USP Bull in them and are NEVER supported with names or links to the facts they claim just the same old fluff over and over....   
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/15 21:30:30 (permalink)
John 3:16 wrote ---
~~The game commisssion is blaming it on the weather and concurrent seasons.  Didn't really mention less hunters.  While I agree, Doe harvest, they claim, only dropped 5 percent.  So why did buck harvest drop so much if the doe didn't?

~~ 5% not sure where that comes from ?????

~~  I did not need the PGC to tell me the harvest was low because of weather.... I knew at Xmas the harvest was going to be down...

1.. the archery season was terrible for weather... too hot most days..

2.. early muzzie and rifle was also very warm

3.. 1st day of rifle where MOST of the total buck harvest comes from.. weather was terrible... I will "tip my hat" to the deer hunters out on that day...
I was really worried there may be more accidents due to the fog and rain.. but thankfully that did not happen.

If you look at the after Xmas deer hunting figures you will see that, for the most part, it was a better year than average for them...

The buck harvest suffered more than the doe because of the concurrent seasons... guys who focus on doe hunting had better and more days the second week to get a successful hunt and harvest than the guys who only get out a few days and spend most of their time in search of a buck.

The lower harvest came as no surprise here... and all that warm and wet weather still did not make it a season to turn most of my friends against the current deer management program...

Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/16 10:34:58 (permalink)
But you just keep feeding on the crap that pcg puts out just like the other sheep.

Baaaaaah! Quote MM

LOL..................................... Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/18 02:31:37 (permalink)
Dr Trout.
I am the vice president of the Lawrence county Council of Conservation clubs.  Our organization represents over 2000 sportsmen from various clubs in our county.  By a show of hands at each club EACH club overwelmingly states thier dissatisfaction with current doe license allocations and deer management practices.  It is my job to take that info to the PFSC. Whos job it is to pass that info on to the state level.

PAY ATTENTION I tell a different story than "the general"  (I assume you are talking about slinsky)  I am not associated with him, not a member of the USP, nor do I support many of his ideas.  I am a biologist with the ability to look at all the data not just what the PGC hands us or tells penn state they are allowed to release.

I apologize and will cite all sources for your anal rectum from now on.

Here are some questions.
Is the harvest down in total numbers or is it also down in relation to total number of licenses sold?

Why are there excuses every year.  Two years ago the PGC golden boy John Dzymen (did you catch that I inserted a name there if you would like to check the quote) In the tuesday (second day of buck) issue of the Bradford era, stated that "the harvest was down because all the deer were in slashings to thick for the hunters to get them out of"
First of all how does he know wether or not the harvest was down by press time on the first tuesday of the season?
Secondly I though we were killing all these does because the forest wouldn't regenerate?  Where did all the thick slashings that they are hiding in come from?  This is the Poster boy biologist for the program?  He is a good biologist, but somewhere the answers don't add up.

SK  I noticed you also don't practice what you preach, show me the data where it says that those 1.5 spikes will grow bigger than a 1.5 8 pt.  If that is the case why are they continually shot in areas where trophy management is practiced?

I have had enough.  I will  be gone for a few days and will return with all of your requested answers.

IKE

P.S. BAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Better too far back, than too far forward.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/18 10:19:19 (permalink)
What don't I practice and preach Mickey Mouse?

I cannot find the evidence of a spike outgrowing a yearling 8 pt.  It's out there.  I'm not going to spend all day looking for it.  I spent an hour or so.  It's interesting how many studies there are out there on antler development and how many of those studies conflict one another.  That can only mean one thing.

All the evidence you need is to look at the pictures of the four and six year old bucks above, spikers as yearlings.  You mean to tell me, a yearling 8 pt. is going to outgrow that?  Maybe, but not necessarily.  Always?  Don't think so.  Never?  Don't think so. 

One common conclusion in most studies is nutrition has more to do with antler development than genes.  Inheritability is such a small factor in antler development, is really makes the idea of high grading ridiculous.  Like I said before, you're now seeing way more spikes and I'm now seeing way less.  As a biologist, do you HONESTLY believe antler restrictions can have that quick of an impact on a wild deer herd's antler development??  If you do, you should be ashamed to consider yourself a biologist.  The reason I see WAY less spikes now, is because they are more healthy deer.  I am not going to give antler restrictions props for improving yearling buck antler size, I give it props for protecting half of them.  HR deserves many more stars compared to AR.    Alot of what PA is doing could have been accomplished without AR.  But it wouldn't have been as accelerated.  68% of PA population support AR.  That's risen since the programs birth.

I really hate to disappoint you, but Texas is the state that shoots spikes.   Talk with most outfitters from the big 3 -- they let them walk.   They let all young bucks walk.  Guess where the records are coming from??  Not Texas.  It's not fair to judge a deer's antler potential by its first set.  An intense statewide trophy management program implementation would be silly.  Trophy managed areas also cull 3 year old 125" 8 pts. as "management" deer.   Is this what you want?  I don't.

I will admit, I get caught up in deer and antler development debates a lot.  Because it's so heated and because there are a ton of misconceptions out there.  It probably gives the impression that I'm a "trophy" hunter.  That's fine, think what you want, but hunting with the only goal of taking the largest rack out of the woods, takes away from hunting.  If you want that, buy a buck, fence him up, feed the **** about of him, then shoot him. Trophy managed areas are for people you want to pay big dollars for them.  I don't consider it hunting.  There's a difference between selective harvest and trophy management.   TM is not even viable, statewide.

jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/18 16:28:44 (permalink)

One common conclusion in most studies is nutrition has more to do with antler development than genes.

So if you eat a stead diet of candy bars, and i eat steak, my****will be bigger then yours?

No... your belly will be bigger thus my****will appear to be larger. Genetics play a role, deer farmers across the world arent paying top dollar for monster buck giz for nothing.

BTW, im a spike!
post edited by jlh42581 - 2008/04/18 16:31:31
SilverKype
Pro Angler
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/18 16:58:19 (permalink)
Was that appropiate???

Where did I say genes don't play a role?  I didn't.  I never did.  Are you having a com-pre-hen-sion problem?  Read the sentence you quoted.

Thought so..

Bull Lifter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 407
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/18 20:22:45 (permalink)
well i'll join this alittle bit...

I feel what you said was right about the nutrients being consumed. I believe to a fact almost it makes a difference. healthier food, healthier deer...more to go the the bone that grows out of their head. Nothing great being eaten, just enough to sustain living..not so much to the horn...
But then this is where i think genetics would play the role...if your great grand daddy(Deer) somehow managed to have horns developed. You would assume your son would follow...everyone sorta knows their area pretty good, year after year if you see "the good one" for most cases i've seen the horns look very similar to the one from "last year" but yet in the same woods ya got, the little developed antlered deer, not talking yearlings so to speak are there. thats why i think those first year 8 points have more potential to become something nicer then a spike. There are and will be all kindas or circumstances where we will never know. you could have 2 spikes but one spike is related to the 150 that you saw one year but just grew a spike this year becuase he aws late born? didnt move to the food his first year? bumped his horns? and then the second spike his dad could of been a spike..SO its really a hard thing to say, plus not to mention maybe the Does have some sort of role in it too..not that healthy of a doe? baby deer inside not getting what it needs? like the "runt" of the puppies, but a few years later you'd never know? Who really knows...

But as far as where i stand on that, I'm standing closer to the food, then genetics right now. I think any deer has a chance to get "better" not say 180 but better. and food would help its like steroids for people almost..
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/18 22:37:19 (permalink)
quote ---Two years ago the PGC golden boy John Dzymen -- unquote

Interesting.... John is a personal friend and I'm sure will get a laugh out of your GOLDEN BOY comment...

Since he is the district land manager I'm sure he knows what he is talking about as far as thickets go... I'm not sure about the biologist part though :)

QUOTE --  Where did all the thick slashings that they are hiding in come from? --UNQUOTE

Around here in Jefferson County, namely SGL#54, after a cut.. a thicket begins to grow and gets so thick in a year or two you can not even walk in them and carry a gun or bow.... BUT deer poop and buck rubs are EVERYWHERE...
what are theymade up of ... STRIPED MAPLE around here.... not a popular food source for white tail deer....

and in the past I have posted E-mails from Foresters and land personal on my board about striped maple and other "un-desirables" in Jefferson and Elk counties also creating "thickets/slashings."

FINALLY ---Thanks for mentioning the organization you represent as vice-president...and the great info on you being a biologist...

most "professional" people I know can communcate in a way better then...

QUOTE--for your anal rectum from now on. --UNQUOTE

I too am a officer in our local club and their delegate to the PFSC, and I do have outdoor experience... and I am PROUD I have never in 8 years posted anything like that to anyone.. even If we did not agree on a subjest...

thanks too for reminding me why I stopped posting here before.. 

I have no time to trade insults with anyone.......................   

BTW...
John was basing his remarks about the low first day harvest by the deer he saw harvested on the first day compared to the number he saw on opening day in previous years... he does do road checks for harvested deer for the PGC deer team to help with the estimated harvest final figures
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2008/04/18 22:48:22
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/19 04:32:16 (permalink)
Actually Doc, and we have discussed this before ( with you eventually agreeing) most varities of Striped Maple are very desirable as deer food and they can withstand a great amount of browsing by deer.  
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/19 11:34:59 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

Was that appropiate???

Where did I say genes don't play a role?  I didn't.  I never did.  Are you having a com-pre-hen-sion problem?  Read the sentence you quoted.

Thought so..

sLIverWipe, wen u gona lern I jUzt buZt uR blz
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/20 21:24:17 (permalink)
S-10..
You are right they do eat striped maple.. especailly around here..  there is not much else that gets over 3-4 inchs high :) :)

But like you say Striped Maple can withstand a TON of browsing and that's the main reason the thickets and slashings around here are made up of the stuff.... BUT STILL.. it is not part of a good deer habitat....

adds nothing for antler growth in the spring and little to none in the way of protein for fall and winter survival.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/21 05:11:09 (permalink)
Doc--If you remember, striped maple is on New Yorks list of perferred winter deer foods so many types are as good or better than anything else available including the oak sprouts the foresters love so much. Deer would (and have) do very well on striped maple as feed or cover but you can't sell it for timber . As for protein, they don't get much of it from any browse. Heck, even acorns suck in that department. It takes the farmers crops or summer fare to supply lots of protein. Grows fast, survives heavy browsing, creates good cover for nesting birds and small animals, sounds like the ideal situation for the bird lovers and hunters. The only drawback is no timber value.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/21 17:13:05 (permalink)
I think you will find that deer do get protein from browse... I'll have to check my notes from a couple seminars (later tonight) to see just what's what for protein... Deer were actually made to survive very well WITHOUT farm crops..... but you are 100% correct.. today's deer need farm crops and that's part of the reason the "big woods" are and have been losing deer... most populated deer areas today are located close to other food sources.. not natural browse....
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/21 23:48:36 (permalink)
Actually according to John Dzymen of PGC the preferred browse list leaves those with the highest protien content at the top and preference decreases with decreasing protien content.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/22 05:03:02 (permalink)
I think what you will find is that the protein content is greater when the leaves and buds first come out and decreases as the summer progresses. I think you will also find that very few trees come anywhere near having the percent protein deer need. Part of the reason is because our soil is so poor in the state and the protein level of plants, shrubs, and trees is dependent on the nutrients in the soil. That is why farmers lime and fertilize before planting their crops and why deer flock to the farmers fields.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/22 22:16:43 (permalink)
Parts of the following info is from 2 E-mails about nutrition and a couple studies on deer that were fenced in for study---

Nutrition
Feeding behavior and digestive tract physiology of all deer species are indeed closely related!
The feeds normally consumed by cervids species are also the feeds they are best capable of
digesting!

Whitetails are called Concentrate Selectors because they "select" the more nutritious,
low fiber parts of vegetation, like leaves, fruit, and shoots.
This material is rapidly fermented in the rumen / reticulum; while a large portion of the plant
"Cell Contents" (sugars & soluble starch) is absorbed directly; without any fermentation at all!

Whitetails have stomach antimony adapted to utilize low fiber forage.
Their reticular groove is well developed which allows high quality feed to bypass rumen
fermentation.
All concentrate selectors have a relatively small rumen and omasum; which can get impacted
easily with poor quality, fibrous forage.

Concentrate selectors like whitetails have faster feed "passage rates", relatively larger distal
fermentation chambers (relatively larger hindguts) with greater emphasis on
hind gut fermentation" and less emphasis on "ruminal fermentation".

Whitetails have a relatively large Parotid Gland which secretes compounds that make it
possible for them to eat high levels of some secondary plant compounds like Tannins found in acorns and other browse.

Whitetails posses Proline rich salivary proteins that "bind" these tannins.

Additionally, whitetails and other concentrate selectors have proportionately bigger livers to
deal with the faster fermentation rates of the highly-digestible cell contents of the food they
"select". The large liver also helps to quickly detoxify the chemicals found in some of these
plants.

Voluntary feed intake will decrease as much as 40-60% in periods of severe heat-stress
and winter-cold.

Ingested energy in excess of Net energies of lactation, growth, and maintenance will be stored
as fat.

Here is the basic break down of what deer eat on a yearly basis.... 

Spring
1. Forbs -52 %
2. Browse-34%
3.grasses-14%

Summer
1.Browse-58%
2.Forbs-35%
3.grasses-7%

Fall
1.Browse-56%
2.Forbs-32%
3. Grasses-12%

Winter
1.Browse-63%
2.Forbs-24%
3.Grasses-13%

Notice that the "green-up" time of year supplies alot of "green" stuff for the deer..
all high in protien... but these have little to do with much of the forest re-generation..
that comes later when they eat more browse.. (new growth of trees) during the summer
and fall and winter which just about wipes out the new growth for the forest re-generation.

post edited by Dr. Trout - 2008/04/22 22:25:00
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/22 22:51:17 (permalink)
Here is  some food for thought about crops...

Even where they are plentiful, agricultural crops may not address all of a deer’s nutritional needs. For example, assume you are managing a 250-acre farm.

You plant 75 of those acres in corn every year, and your neighbors are also primarily corn farmers. Sounds good doesn’t it?

Actually, it sounds like the recipe for undersized bucks, especially if the herd grows large enough to consume all the most desirable high-protein browse species.
When the herd wipes out the best browse each year, these plants may fail to grow back and will simply disappear. 

Furthermore, corn is low in protein.

In fact, it produces only 7 percent crude protein.
Deer do best on a much higher level, more than 20 percent is ideal.
Deer love corn even during the summer, but it is little more than the human equivalent of glazed donuts – certainly not body-builder food.

In areas with a lot of corn, there is the risk of a protein implosion when browse plants give out.

And during dry years, this is likely to occur even if you keep the herd in check.

Most importantly, deer need high-protein forage in the spring and early summer, well before corn can be utilized.

Here’s another scenario.

Assume you manage deer in an area with both soybeans and corn.

Your neighborhood has an abundance of both.

During the summer, soybean leaves are much higher in crude protein than corn plants (roughly 16 percent protein in some cases). Now the deer have some variety.

Once again, it sounds good doesn’t it?

Well, though bean leaves are higher in protein than corn, they fall well short of other possible forage plants in the legume family... namely Imperial Whitetail Clover, Alfa-Rack Plus, Chicory Plus and Extreme.

At their peak, these food plot products provide crude protein levels of 30 percent or higher.

And like corn, soybeans are not available during the spring and/or early summer and do not contribute to early antler development. 

So, obviously, if you are trying to produce a diet high in protein, simple row crops aren’t enough.

Then there is the problem that occurs after harvest.

The existence of commercial agricultural crops doesn’t automatically guarantee a year-around food source. Modern combines are so efficient that they leave little waste in the field after they pass.

Unless you have a low deer density, the deer will clean up all the waste grain long before spring green-up.

A lack of excellent nutrition will eventually force the deer to feed heavily on less desirable woody browse and forage such as grass.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: