Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Noplacelikehome
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/06 19:24:02 (permalink)

No deer in Pa.

Yesterday I drove back from Erie. I took I 79 South and I 80 East to Union Co. I saw 3 dead turkey and at least 50 dead deer. One can only imagine how many road hit deer died just out of sight of the highway or were picked up. I still can not believe all these "WHINERS" think that there are NO DEER in PA!!!! If there are NO DEER in this state then WHY O WHY are the highways and State roads littered with so many DEAD DEER??? Someone please explain this to me, by the way I agree there are LESS deer than there use to be,but there are still PLENTY if you GO IN THE WOODS. I also hate road hunters who are NOT disabled.

79 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: No deer in Pa. 2008/04/06 20:32:17 (permalink)
    Next time you make that trip try counting the No Trespassing signs along that same road. It may answer the question of why there are a lot of deer on that stretch.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: No deer in Pa. 2008/04/06 20:49:34 (permalink)
    Lets say you have 10 deer on posted land. They don't die or get killed. Wouldn't you have at least 20 deer next year. Now any one who has hunted a few years knows that most of the new deer will get pushed out of the area by the other deer(mature does, competition for food). Also during the rut don't bucks travel MILES in search of does? And most hunters know there are actually 2 ruts in Pa. At least SOME of the deer HAVE TO come off the posted property. So you think ALL those hundreds of miles of land are ALL posted. I don't buy that one. Try again.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: No deer in Pa. 2008/04/06 20:58:55 (permalink)
    If you start with 10 you will increase by 33-35% meaning you will end up with 13 or 14, not 20. Living by the road more than the average amount will die. 20% is the average. I didn't say 100% was posted. I suggested you be as observent of the posters as you were of the dead deer and your question may be answered.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: No deer in Pa. 2008/04/06 21:06:46 (permalink)
    At least your trying
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: No deer in Pa. 2008/04/07 07:23:46 (permalink)
    Could be you are seeing a surplus of winter kills that have not rotted away yet.
    Could be the start of mama's running off of last years fawn to get ready for the new.
    There are three times a year you will see increased road kills.
    1. the rut
    2. spring when the mothers run off last years fawns.
    3. early spring when the snow first comes of and the winter road kill is visible.

I think around here (Crawford county) there are alot less dead deer along the roads.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: No deer in Pa. 2008/04/07 07:39:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

Next time you make that trip try counting the No Trespassing signs along that same road. It may answer the question of why there are a lot of deer on that stretch.

whaaa whaa wha.  Private private private.  You sound like a little girl in a barbie store. 

Excuses Excuses Excuses.  If private land is so full of gold, what's stopping you from getting permission??  If you've tried and failed, you haven't tried hard enough.

Good morning S-10. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: No deer in Pa. 2008/04/07 09:58:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

Posted/private.  Who cares.  There are alot of deer in Pa. I would imagine that across this nation, more deer exist on private land versus public.  It is what it is.

Go get them like everyone else.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: No deer in Pa. 2008/04/07 10:53:16 (permalink)
    Ignore the obvious, ignore the obvious, ignore the obvious. And a very good morning to you too Silver.Actually,  I just got back from fertlizing some oak and apple trees on property I can hunt. Even saw a few deer and a couple paint brush's. Long straight 4 lane road with large sections of private property on both sides should equal above average amounts of dead deer, wouldn't you agree?
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: No deer in someones backyard . 2008/04/07 10:55:27 (permalink)
    Hows the antler stew going? There are plenty of deer near highways . In comparison there are hardly any road kills in the ANF . How old are noplacelike home sounds as if you need to educate yourself and hunt somewhere else instead of home . Assumptions , science based management , and ignorance to the rest of penns woods. Your all stuck in your observations of your local situations ; open your minds . If 80% are upset with the current management that is enough to tell me that somethings wrong here or you can have fun hunting in your backyards where all the deer are but don't b*tch when everyones tresspassing on your land because of this crap .... You helped support ... As for you SK you know my stance on your adgenda . Perhaps the few deer left are protesting the mass slaughter the Game commission has allowed and are trying to go into extinction. Time to stoke the fire boys this is gonna be fun ; remember you can't win this we (the sportsmen) have already lost so keep up the banter . While DCNR & the fat cats dine on us .

Enjoy your fantasy world oh great trophy boys all hail you the greatest hunters , stewards of wildlife , the only ones that know how to hunt because us other guys are incapable of comprehending the animals to be our prey. I'm still waiting for all of your books to be published since you all know so much . Oh tell do tell of all that is riught in the world great oracles of the alt plan.......
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Sisyy pants DC 2008/04/07 11:27:53 (permalink)
    Sure S-10, I agree.  Plenty more deer are private property.  So, go ask for my more permission.  You'd have access to the entire state if you'd spend the amount of time asking, instead of complaining.  Just think of all the deer you could have.    Didn't you kill a buck this year?   Hmmm..... yes!!!   

Sissy pants DC,

You're right, this is gonna be fun.

I hunt three different WMU's, in 4A I hunt a ton of different areas.  Why is it every place I go, I am able to find deer?   All these areas must be "special."

How was off season scouting?  Did you actually walk or are you like the guy that complained to me the last day of archery with a 10 pt, 6 pt, spike, and 3 doe's -- all their tracks right under his front tire??

That was funny!!!!!

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Deer N da Hood 2008/04/07 11:41:09 (permalink)
    SK ,
         I always thought you were special . For my lack of seeing deer they let me hunt section 2LD where we can walk up & spear the deer . Really save on gas ; I take the "T" downtown to my spot & use Urban Camo baggy jeans & a puffy coat . I think next year we can use bait so the deer walk right up to us.

As for the scouting many deer left in MY area due to it's posted nature. Unfortunately the large pockets of deer are in pockets only accessible to the minority. The rest are being poached ; I hear shots at dark alot in the fall and I think I know what high calibers places are at dusk . Beside my house there are 32 deer coming through with high consistency 20 on the West and 12 on the East each night . These numbers are down from 70 when I bought the place 7 years ago. Yes there are some nice bucks running around as there have always been in Northern Butler County. We have bear up here as well , many turkey as well . But my stomping grounds are void of life in Forest county where it matters to me .  
    post edited by Dream Catcher - 2008/04/07 12:02:15
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: Deer N da Hood 2008/04/07 17:57:04 (permalink)
    Dream Catcher, this past season I hunted in 3B open land(not posted, I got permission), a red tag farm in Crawford Co.and on another farm in Crawford Co. I killed a doe in 3B and a doe on the red tag farm. In 4 days of rifle hunting I saw 4 bucks(passed up 3 legal ones) and saw a total of 13 doe. I did not shoot any of the legal bucks in Pa. because I already killed a 6pt during bow season in Ohio. Would you call ALL these areas my back yard???   I scout ALL YEAR LONG by WALKING IN the WOODS. I kill at least 2-3 deer per year. I would say I am pretty well educated and open minded, wouldn't you?
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: Deer N da Hood 2008/04/07 18:00:57 (permalink)
    SK,  Your right on the money!!! They(whiners) cry for hours when they should be out scouting or asking for permission. CHANGE IS CONSTANT. Get use to it!
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: Deer N da Hood 2008/04/07 19:37:56 (permalink)
    (CHANGE IS CONSTANT)???????  Constant=Something invariable or unchangingInvariable= not capable of change. At least your trying.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Deer N da Hood 2008/04/09 03:34:55 (permalink)
    What should actually be constant is a deer management plan.  We are currently in year 7 of what was announced as a 5 year plan.  What's that the pgc says "we can't have a license increase?  Well how bout we give you one week of buck only in some parts of the state? Can we have it then?"
    "What's that? The governer says DCNR should be able to determine how many deer are on state land?  OK"

Wing and a prayer management....Total Joke.....The PGC is becoming a laughing stock at the national level.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    RE: Deer N da Hood 2008/04/09 06:21:05 (permalink)
    MM, right or wrong you have to play the cards your dealt. I use to love to fish the tribs in Erie. Now they are packed with people. What did I do, I looked for different areas to fish(bay, further upstream) I now catch more fish than I did just a couple of years ago and the experience is 10x s better!!(no one around) No use complaining you either adapt or quit. But I do agree there is WAY to much politics.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Deer N da Hood 2008/04/09 08:35:03 (permalink)
    We should not have to adapt many landowners pay taxes , enhance feeding oppurtunities , and keep thier livelyhood in the Allegheny National Forest ... For some corrupt politicans to have thier way with OUR resource is BS ...... I will adapt and not pull the trigger around camp for many years to come , I will encourage others to do the same. If you ever feel froggy PM me & I'll take you to Forest County & let you see for yourself whats left ; atleast they haven't ruined the fishing . As for you're hunting areas theres no doubt in my mind you have plenty of opportunities for deer .
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Deer N da Hood 2008/04/09 11:11:31 (permalink)
    Again there should be no need to adapt.  We as hunters pay the pgc to manage.  We need to be allowed to elect the board of commissioners.  I think that is a reasonable goal, and one that can be accomplished if we do not follow the status quo and accept the bull$hit they are feeding us.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Deer N da Hood 2008/04/09 11:42:03 (permalink)
    We as hunters pay the pgc to manage. 

To manage what?

DEER for 8% of Pennsylvanian's?

I think not..

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Deer N da Hood 2008/04/09 11:44:28 (permalink)
    Let me save you the typing.

If ALL Pennsylvanian's pay the PGC, our state gamelands are done.

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Deer N da Hood 2008/04/09 12:22:09 (permalink)
    your are right, 100%.  Which is exactly why all pennsylvanians should not get a say in how an organization funded entirely by hunters is run.   Elect the commisioners.  You buy a license you get a ballot.  If they start buying licences just to get a ballot, good for the pgc they get the increased revenue and then those other 92% get a say.  Until then let the 8% decide how they would like the resource management they are funding is done.

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    RE:Manage This 2008/04/09 12:30:34 (permalink)
    Again ... You said it yourself . Manage deer for 8% of Pennsylvannians ..... The landowners do thier own management plant fruit bearing trees , crops , and habitat for wildlife. What possibly do we need them for ??? To plant pine trees where mature hardwoods once existed ????? I believe it would be for the 8% that sponsor them ?

We are our own worst enemy enabling this corruption through our continued funding . MM has a good point perhaps these should be elected officials ; thats an excellent idea . Instead of buying a hunting license the officials would be a non-profit organization and the funds would go back into a general wildlife fund to create habitat that is constantly being ate away by new construction. Eliminate the money issue so we can trust these clowns again put it to bed so we don't have to hear SK wine next year about trespassers-  sorry I meant adapters.
    post edited by Dream Catcher - 2008/04/09 12:52:34
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/09 12:36:08 (permalink)
    Yeah, I did say 8%.   It's not, it's managed for 100%. 

Trespassers??

I hunt public land.  The horrid managed, no deer, PA public land.   Oh the horror!!!

Cry me a river DC.

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/09 12:42:26 (permalink)
    contradiction...........don't let the public have a say about the gamelands, but about the deer herd it is ok?  Which way do you want it?   go easy on the reply I am feeding the baby and have to type 1 handed.   Can't fire away from the turret here as well for a few minutes. 

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/09 12:50:05 (permalink)
    Better yet . I used to hunt public land as well until too many folks adapted as you trophy guys tell us to daily...... I hope you don't get adapted upon as I did. I set a treestand up had a guy post on the ground 40ft from as if he was going to outgun me from my sniper position a few years back . That did it for me ; now I only bow hunt private land. Gave the rifles to the kids.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/09 13:16:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

contradiction...........don't let the public have a say about the gamelands, but about the deer herd it is ok?  Which way do you want it?   go easy on the reply I am feeding the baby and have to type 1 handed.   Can't fire away from the turret here as well for a few minutes. 

Correct.  It should be both ways, which it is.  Call it a contradiction, fine by me. 

Our monies do not pay for deer.  We pay to hunt them.  Deer can affect 100% of PA residents, gamelands do not, and never will.

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/09 13:35:12 (permalink)
    Cry me a river DC.

Pi$$ in the wind as usual ole pal. Good luck Saturday atleast we can count on the fish commission . They manage the fish for all fisherman that buy the trout stamp. LOL
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/09 13:51:18 (permalink)
    If you don't catch any, are you going to blame the fish comm?  LOL

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: RE:Manage This 2008/04/09 14:02:59 (permalink)
    gamelands do affect 100% of the people as the municipalities with them in them do not get the tax revenue that they would if they were not gamelands......so which way do you want it?

And the last time I checked, the reason that we have any deer at all is that our monies pay the salaries of the people (PGC) that saved the deer herd and brought it back from near extinction in the state, so actually we do pay for deer. 

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: