Helpful ReplyHot!fun stuff

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 34
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: fun stuff 2019/01/26 17:41:20 (permalink)
Did a scout mission today on another part of lake with the tribe, we are many.
Mixed bag. Mostly jigging. We teach to keep a meal and let the rest go for next time.
Scouts tomorrow.
Fun stuff indeed with friends and family staying overnight.
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/01/26 17:42:31

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: fun stuff 2019/01/28 12:45:11 (permalink)
I really enjoy seeing those pictures of youngsters getting out with your family Rich,those will help bring back the memories in the future.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/01/28 17:35:44 (permalink)
Thanks Jack. Its all about the memories. Photographs are just so easy these days so I try and take many for them to share long after I'm gone. I enjoy looking at the few we took years past from my childhood. Back then it was difficult to get film and pictures developed
I don't think there is one person who knows me can say I'm a homebody or don't spend more time outdoors than in.

Here was yesterday's cub scout event.
Not 1 person has ever been on a frozen lake before besides my grandson with red jacket ( scout) and me .
The scout master ( pictured) was lame.
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/01/28 17:41:00

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/01/28 20:26:24 (permalink)
I'm considering doing some ice fishing tournaments with my grandchildren.
I'm not really a proponent of tournament fishing so I'm kinda torn.
The one aspect of considering this is because its all just a kids division, all to proceed kids events and I think the kids might have fun .
The other aspect is I can take my grandchildren fishing anytime without a competition event.

Thoughts ?

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: fun stuff 2019/01/28 23:59:20 (permalink)
hot tuna
I'm considering doing some ice fishing tournaments with my grandchildren.
I'm not really a proponent of tournament fishing so I'm kinda torn.
The one aspect of considering this is because its all just a kids division, all to proceed kids events and I think the kids might have fun .
The other aspect is I can take my grandchildren fishing anytime without a competition event.

Thoughts ?

I never chime in on the NY boards, but read most of 'em.  Really enjoy your posts HT!  

I'm not a fan of fishing tournaments either, but I've taken my 8 year old son to local one here north of Pittsburgh, PA a few times.  He loves it, cause he's pretty good at fishing on his own and he kinda likes to show off his fishing skills.  Even though the prizes are fishing gear that's basically junk to us, it puts a smile on his face to win something.  

Plus, the idea that the proceeds go to kids . . . that's good stuff there.  
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: fun stuff 2019/01/29 09:32:56 (permalink)
While I have only worked the kid's ice derbies that the club of which I am a member holds, I  have taken kids to local and club trout derbies.  I found that they added a bit of additional motivation for hesitant kids, who, while their initial interest may have been in "winning", often got the necessary exposure to fishing to develop an interest in going even  when there were no prizes other than the experience itself.  And my daughter has some nice rods and reels that she won, and is still using ( I convinced her that she was too old for the " tinkerbell" spincasters LOL).
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3066
Re: fun stuff 2019/01/29 10:08:40 (permalink)
Was involved in running the annual PBA fishing derby in our town for years.
It was always a big deal and a great success with many participants and all proceeds back to kids prizes and a heavy stocking.
Businesses and organizations lined up to donate every year.
One guys business gave a couple of thousand specifically for the trout for decades.
Now its just a memory- lack of participation in this modern world.

Congrats Rich for helping to expose kids to the outdoors they may not otherwise experience.
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/01/29 10:10:49
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/01/30 20:11:38 (permalink)
Thanks for the response and insight folks.
I'm heading north for Lakers on Saturday. Pretty sure a grandson will join, he's 6 years old and been out fishing me on trout so far this season.
Unfortunately, we can't make the tournament the following weekend now anyway. It certainly gives me thoughts into scheduling 1 or 2 next season for the reasons above stated.
I will still avoid the open water ones though.

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/02/16 11:23:45 (permalink)
My first outdoor form of enjoyment is Deer Hunting.
As one gets along in time however things change and unfortunately so does the manner in which you enjoy your sports.
Instead of long still hunts into the woods I now keep much closer to a trail where I can easily drag, also I no longer climb trees and use ground blinds.
This clearly diminishes the numbers seen as ya aren't always going to the places you have found over time where 'they' hang out.
There is a reward for long sits however as I have taken 5 bucks in the past 5 years ( two one year and none last year).
Three were real nice shooters and 2 were lesser bucks.
Only because I put in a real lot of time on those secondary places.
Frankly it is nowhere near the fun as still hunting the ridges in far off places, but --hey-- ya gotta keep going till they throw dirt on ya.
Same for fishing- no more trecks into areas where few if anybody else goes- -turning into a 'near the bridge' guy.
Last season I knew where a real nice shooter hung out but it was just too deep for me to ever get him out should I have been so lucky  to actually score. Sat on an area ( a LOT) where I thought he may come and go- he did--at night lol.
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/02/16 11:26:40
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: fun stuff 2019/02/16 11:50:58 (permalink)
r3g3,
Here's a faded memory from childhood of fun stuff.  I remember going to Hubbard Park and seeing penned up deer while going up to the castle to catch those great views of Meriden CT.  
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/02/16 12:37:46 (permalink)
A doe got outa that enclosure years back and was running all over the park. I got elected to knock it down with a tranquilizer gun after which we put her back in.
She was jumping and running all over the enclosure- clearly happy to be back.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/02/16 15:50:50 (permalink)
I like hunting but for myself, hunting is related to deer now. Turkey and small game took a back seat to fishing.
I will spend a solid 100 hrs in the woods pursuing deer.
That time consists of preparation from October to end of November.
It's a short time frame but it's a lot of hrs actually spent in the woods.

Personally, that's all good with me as I am able to harvest my quarry I pursue.
Fishing is a year round sport that requires countless hrs

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/02/16 17:07:49 (permalink)
I log hrs in woods.
I'm curious about others

What I mean is , when I go hunting I camp and stay in the woods 24hrs .
My actual hunting time is 12-8 hrs per day. That's what I count as hunting time
Mahogany ridge happens after.
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/02/16 17:18:28

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/02/17 09:08:38 (permalink)
Rich- I alternated two properties this year and hunt a total of about 4 days a week.
Generally about 6 hours each hunt alternating from AM to mid day to evening.
I ease in and ease out so as not to disturb the natural flow of the animals.
Have had a lot of success with natural flow where there is little pressure.
As I hunt from mid Nov to the end of Dec  would guess thats around 140 hrs or more.
Generally pass flatheads till late looking for shooters.

Ya can go out and get lucky from time to time but to be consistently 'lucky' ya gots ta pay da dues.
( besides- I love it)

post edited by r3g3 - 2019/02/17 09:30:42
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: fun stuff 2019/02/17 10:53:43 (permalink)
There was a time when I hunted exclusively with the bow in a bow only county.  I would stockpile my overtime, personal days and some vacation so I could take the entire month of November to chase whitetails.  I was in my stand 5-6 days a week from an hour before first light until well after sunset.  I averaged 60-72 hours a week or 240-288 for the month of November alone.  I could stay on my Loggy Bayou climber some 25-30' up all day.  Oh to be young again.  lol
post edited by troutbum21 - 2019/02/17 19:06:17
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/02/17 11:09:28 (permalink)
That's a lot of time.
I know a lot of people who go out for a few hrs and consider it a full days hunting.
I used to bow hunt but gave it up after my injury in 09. I just don't have the stamina and practice time in me anymore for the bow.
Besides, the woods were to thick and weather to warm.
Now I feel 100 hrs in the woods is plenty.
I take 2 weeks vacation from the last week of xbow and first week of gun with a weekend after Thanksgiving then bag it. If I can't get it done by then then there's something wrong.
I don't count our scouting and preparation time towards actual hunting.

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/02/17 11:33:42 (permalink)
Used to start in Sept with the bow and log long hours in the trees with a bit of still hunting thrown in.
Now that I'm outa the tree sitting business bow hunting is and now and then adventure except for Turkey.
One of the sub bucks taken in the past few years I mentioned above was a healed up but  injured spike early in the bow season.
If he had been normal I woulda passed.
Turkey hunting with the bow a couple of years ago passed several flatheads and basket bucks.
Musta known they were safe that season because had never had that many come that close when chasing them lol.
It was GREAT.
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/02/17 11:35:37
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/02/20 12:07:58 (permalink)
Was fishing Kiddie one winter with  a lot of competition- a nice day temp wise.
There was a 'pool captain' on the far side loudly negative commenting on each and every hookup by others.
He had the right drift from his spot though -hooking up a lot.
Later he packed up and left so I wandered over the bridge and set up where he had been standing.
Immediately a couple or 3 guys approached me and said the guy had just gone 'for lunch' and that I was fishing 'his spot'.
Told them OK and i'd leave whenever 'lunch' was over and he came back -my slightly pizzed effort at being diplomatic.
They got real close and advised it was their friends SPOT.
I left--sometimes wish I was a lot younger -just for some afternoon group swim time.
Went back to my side- when he came back later I accidentally crossed his lines- a few times too.
Idiots
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/02/20 13:03:40 (permalink)
Sounds like a fun place to fish.
I been in the black hole once in November and there were some snaggers trying to hook trout.
I got a big red bobber out and caught a lot of lines that day 😀

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/02/20 13:23:22 (permalink)
Likely the most comical for me--
 Hooked a hen King one day and it was fouled.
While pulling hard on the bent rod working  to break it off  I noticed a second travelling with the one I had on.
A guy with a straw hat walked right under my bent rod trying to snag either of the two fish.

Another idiot.

Something about those Kings makes some folks go stark raving nuts--
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/02/20 13:34:29 (permalink)
gotta double post--
Watched a guy walk out to an active King bed over and over and try to hook one by dipping straight up and down with  a #1 hook and a  single green rubber egg.
This happened over and over as he spooked the fish off the bed repeatedly.
He would back up wait and repeat.
At one point he was all bent over peering straight down into the bed in waist deep water with his rod tucked under his arm and the egg dangling on top of the water behind him.
Wouldn't ya know an Atlantic came up and took that egg as I watched.
The guy went crazy but eventually landed the fish- it was around 16 inches long.
As he put it on the stringer I hollered over that it was way undersized and wardens were around ( lied bout the wardens)
He went absolutely bug nuts and kept the Atlantic..
I went elsewhere to just FISH.
( wish I HAD seen a warden)
Ya cant make this stuff up  lol.
post edited by r3g3 - 2019/02/20 13:43:49
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/03/07 11:17:04 (permalink)
Just got back from a couple of annual weeks in the warm sunny Caribbean.
Yep--snow duty this AM, seems like I missed some uckey weather- awwwww-so  sad.
OK -now starting to think about dropbacks.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/07/21 09:15:24 (permalink)
Scout reports ??
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/07/21 10:44:48 (permalink)
Only thing I can add is that for 3 years in a row the lake is on fire and plenty of species. This from my charter friends direct reports to me and NY dec reports to you
https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/117510.html

Don't forget, 95 % or better all go in the cooler from the lake.
The days of targeting lake trout just to put clients on fish are over for now.
Lake trout populated is going to explode
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/07/21 10:46:18

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/07/25 09:50:58 (permalink)
Last night was definitely fun stuff. Getting to once again meet Lukas Nelson who wanted to actually meet " us". He also gave me the set list after the show too.
The show was fantastic!! Lukas Nelson and Promise of the real are the best group of musicians writing songs and touring today !!

Attachment(s)

Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
Re: fun stuff 2019/07/25 13:28:28 (permalink)
"Fun Stuff" does not begin to describe that HT, that is seriously cool!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/07/25 17:19:52 (permalink)
thank you fisherlady , it made all the pain go away ..
here was my write up to the Promise of the real group , excuse the grammer errors.

Orange county fair NY 7/24/19
  Their first show back in the states . Shooter Jennings was the opening set , POTR the headline.
  Sadly or gladly depends on how you look at things, there were only about 50 people in attendance at this show . I can say without a doubt, the best $30.00 I've ever spent in my life.
  It was GA and we got there early securing a front spot up against the rail. We were about 20 feet from the stage, front and center. Unfortunately the sound was coming from the giant stack speakers along the bottom of the stage which had my audio recorder limited out so I don't think the recording came out good at all, anyway it was great for us.
  While we waited we noticed some guys playing catch with a baseball just off to the side ,well it wasn't long before the few people there realized it was Lukas and friends and they started to gather that way. The grounds people reacted and tried to keep people back but eventually told Lukas to play somewhere else besides there.
  After a short while a guy came over and asked folks if they wanted to meet Lukas. Well Hell yeah we do so we were brought over to a tent for a meet and greet with a few other lucky folks. It's great that he really wants to meet people, not just people wanting to meet him.
  So after that, shooter and his band come out with a pretty rocking set. It's our first time seeing them and they did a great job doing about a 1 hr set. For the last 3 songs Lukas gets on side of stage, sits down and just listening to the music. Thought he might join in but didn't.
  A quick set change and out come POTR. No Tato, probably still recovering from his birthday, lol.
  Right from the beginning we knew this show was going to be special.. The band was all business and hard rocking with an opening something real that just kicked****!! Right into Die alone !! It seemed the band was going old school hard driving rock and roll. There were no high flying jumps , no banter before songs just straight forward , hard driving POTR. Of course the guitar leads Lukas stepping out to the edge of the stage were incredible. He ( as were all ) were playing their****off, just for us small group.
  There were no petty songs and a few covers form Neil and Willie , it was quite clear this was going to be Promise of the Real night. !!
  They played a solid 90 plus minutes wasting no time jumping right into the next songs. Set me down on a cloud was incredible, honestly the entire set was and the is not 1 song I would have changed ! Turn off the news was delivered with so much passion it brought tears to my eyes.
  While the songs just kept coming, the time seemed to pass by far to fast . Their time was to end at 11pm but when the broke out Cortez after a quick huddle for an encore discussion, we knew this was going to be a killer jam to end the night after curfew. I only took a few pictures because the music and dancing took over my soul. Figured there would be enough others out there as the cell phones were out from a few people.
  I can not thank the band enough for bringing Truly REAL music and real love to the fans that come to support them. Also a huge love to Brian for all the hard work he puts in to make everything happen. After the show we hung around while Brian started breaking down and he took the time to gladly give us the set list from Lukas spot on the floor.
  We got home at 2am this morning and I had to get up for work at 6am . Going to be a long day at work but it will be filled with the sounds of memories in my head and heart.
  Not sure when we will get the chance to see them again even though they are still in the area. When ever we do, it won't be soon enough.
  Safe travels
  THANK YOU POTR for giving us Something Real !!

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/08/04 14:08:33 (permalink)
White water release this weekend--SCOUTS TAKE NOTICE  lol.
Soon
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/08/11 18:25:04 (permalink)
Small pods and individual Kings in DSR today- several hookups .
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/08/11 20:10:00 (permalink)
Go get them Trevor. I have a feeling I will be in the woods before on the water. August is shot and September is filling fast. Once mid October comes I won't know what home is until March.
Still haven't moved the boat since stripers ended. Trolling the great lake is not happening again this year.

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 34
Jump to: