Helpful ReplyHot!fun stuff

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 34
Author
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3066
  • Reward points: 0
Re: fun stuff 2019/08/12 09:23:52 (permalink)
When I had my place up there woulda been there already -taking long upriver August walks- watching for snakes too.
Funny how some down low disappear the further up ya go.
Loved it.

It aint the fish- its the fishing.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: fun stuff 2019/08/12 10:45:47 (permalink)
Hey Rich,you ever hear about "The Music Fest" in Bethlehem Pa?
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: fun stuff 2019/08/12 13:28:59 (permalink)
pafisher

Yes, I was invited by 1 of the band to come but its just to far for us.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/08/12 16:47:57 (permalink)
hot tuna
pafisher

Yes, I was invited by 1 of the band to come but its just to far for us.

You would want to make it a 2,3,4 day trip,there is so much to see and hear you would need the time.10-11 days of tons of music of all kinds from all over the world and no admission charge for most of it.I KNOW YOU would love it!!It just ended yesterday so you will have to attend next year,it's always the first week of Aug.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/08/12 17:27:37 (permalink)
Yes, I believe its called musik festival. I'm sure it's a great time. We kinda avoid festivals though. To many people for us old folk, lol.
We want to go to Saratoga ( spac) to see Lukas Nelson again on August 30th but they are opening for zac brown band and it's one of the most crowded shows of the season so we are on the fence between there or my friends band in the beer tent at county fair.
I'm trying to get my wife on board of just hopping on a plane and hitting up smaller more intimate clubs to see some bands. They may draw a packed house but there is a big difference between a full house of 3-6 hundred vs a stadium or amphitheaters of thousands.
If Willie Nelson survives and or the tradition continues, he hosts a 2 day gathering limited to 800 every year at his ranch in Texas that has the best of the best people.
That's my goal next year. I had a free pass this year but the wife balked.

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/08/17 15:29:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Lucky13 2019/08/31 21:16:15
I don't generally keep fish anymore with the exception of some local stocked Trout for  table fare, when fresh.
Been many years since keeping on the SR.
That said I have no qualms with others who choose to keep legal fishes wherever, especially when in a situation where most feel the fish are likely stocked or very controlled.
I may well feel that the SR is likely to have another drop in some species for conditions generally out of the control of fisherfolks, keeping or not.
IMHO, despite most of our actions, a situation like long ago with Kings wherein bait is unavailable will likely be the biggest deciding factor in gamefish numbers.
This seems especially true when those bait fishes, like most of our Lake gamefishes are non native and likely to be most affected by various conditions not in their original habitat.

Steel are a great recent example- no matter (IMHO) how few or how many people took from the system the bait situation was very likely the main villain in their rapid decline a couple of years back- seems that with a minimal increase in young preferred bait they have increased somewhat but may well, along with other species , be over eating that new crop of bait to the point of another decline.

Ny State is likely way ahead of some other Great lake States as Ontario has generally dodged the really big catastrophic events of others. 
It seems a tough, but good job by many of the Pros too many disparage and not that enough appreciate.
Just my now full time outa stater again opinion.

post edited by r3g3 - 2019/08/17 15:34:04
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/08/31 09:47:01 (permalink)
Are there still any live web cams of the river on the putor??
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/08/31 12:10:05 (permalink)
Don't know about the cams,but the DSR reports a EXCELLANT day on the run,the flow is whitewater thru the holiday(750 cfs) that should get the fish moving!  Cant wait for the 27th to get here
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/08/31 12:27:42 (permalink)
Likely gonna run up for a couple of days in a week or so - no matter the fish reports- just want to wet some line.
Again with a son and friend or two in oct.
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/09/01 09:06:16 (permalink)
The DSR reports the lower end is "PACKED" with fish,those that are lucky enough to be there are reporting more hook -ups then they can count.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/09/03 17:42:44 (permalink)
fishermans post from DSR today is exciting-great fishing.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/09/04 18:23:28 (permalink)
This just popped up on our hunting camp new group page. Picture was of my son's deer last season. He did see a bigger 12 pt as did cameras.
I can say, we still have some very nice equal to, above and up incoming rack deer on this year's cameras.
I'm not an antler hunter, it's only about body size and meat available but I cherish the times my children get a deer of their lives and continue to improve

2017 bow deer ( little snow on ground)
post edited by hot tuna - 2019/09/04 18:29:31

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/09/04 18:44:46 (permalink)
Great
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/09/04 21:41:31 (permalink)
My son has become a good sportsman and teacher. His 7 year old son practicing today for the future. His favorite color is camouflage.

Attachment(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: fun stuff 2019/09/04 21:46:18 (permalink)
Young man shows good form at full draw. Also noted, no arm guard. In my book, a sign of confidence.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2019/09/04 21:49:31

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/09/05 10:49:55 (permalink)
Wife got us tickets last night. FRONT ROW CENTER 👍
Heading to Connecticut on November 8th and staying overnight.
Fun stuff

Attachment(s)

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/09/06 17:31:32 (permalink)
San Francisco  declared the NRA as terrorist organization a few days back and today California banned fur trapping statewide.
Our way of life is under siege in a way heretofore unimagined.
yea -its political and this is a fishing forum, but -it merits mention as a  way of life for generations is rapidly changing-IMHO.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: fun stuff 2019/09/06 20:53:18 (permalink)
R3, it's always been the trend, as you know.....

What happens in California don't stay in California and "will" end up on the east coast.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/09/07 13:50:23 (permalink)
That's pretty nuts rg. Some places no matter how beautiful, I just couldn't stay if their laws and regulations effected me profoundly.

On places to stay, we took grandchildren 30 minutes from home camping at a first time location.
This certainly isn't deer camp. There are more people here than in my entire town.
Its super great for kids but we both agree, its not our type camping in a 20X 40 foot box.
Only thing desirable for me later is to see the bon fire and band later. I need a firepit like this at deer camp

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/09/07 22:09:18 (permalink)
No shortage of heat. Wish they would bring wood to my house

Attachment(s)

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/09/10 09:24:22 (permalink)
Gotta throw in an old story-
Years back my Uncle Ted and I were coming back to Ct after a GREAT SR trip in Oct.
Ted was a recently retired Chief of Law Enforcement for the CT Dep and I was a recently retired Detective in a local Ct PD.
Coming down the Throughway I had noticed a pickup on my tail for miles- Fast or slow it was right there.
Then fast approached 3 Ny State trooper cars all with lights and sirens and we  got  stopped.

Ted and I noted immediately that this was a 'felony stop'-them boys were serious and there were four alert and  cautious troopers around us.
That Truck behind stopped a bit back as well.
We put our hands where they could be seen and we gave ID and Truck paperwork.
After all was said and done it came out that a guy in the truck behind me had POSITIVELY identified my truck as one that had been stolen from him and called 911.
Troopers had responded from some distance and done their jobs.
Upon telling me this info I offered to be the one who 'spoke' to the 'positive identifier' but the Trooper at my window  politely advised that he would be quite happy to do that job.

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: fun stuff 2019/09/10 13:49:44 (permalink)
Being robbed of anything can induce a lot of hallucinations.  I once watched the footwear of every kid in my neighborhood after a break in at my house, eventually singled out one kid who wore British Knights, which was the tread pattern left on the siding by the window.  The kid, who according to the local blue and whites was a trouble maker,  went away for a while for something else, and my paranoia also subsided.  I don't know what I would have done if more than one kid wore British Knights, I'd still be looking at sneakers all the time.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/09/20 11:09:41 (permalink)
So--
Stan, Duda and Ed go swimming in the lake.
Duda drowns.
Ed says "Stan, ya gotta go tell his wife while I stay with the body".
Stan says 'but I stutter when I'm nervous and can only stop when I sing".
Ed says" go tell her, its important she know".
Stan runs to the house and when she opens the door he sings--
"Guess who drown in da lake today, Duda, Duda---"

Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/09/21 07:15:56 (permalink)
OUCH!
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/10/06 14:11:13 (permalink)
Heading up tomorrow AM in the rain- will fish with my youngest son Tues and Wed.
Low reports stink as do upper reports.
Fish there- yea but not a great year.
Even a lotta guides saying its light.
Too bad-Columbus is usually the height of a run- Oh Well- thats fishing.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/10/06 17:29:52 (permalink)
Well I can say my relaxation weekend was fun stuff. Besides deer camp, no place I'd rather be.
Didn't see a single person on my stream side adventures.
Caught all we wanted, kept what we will use.
My hands shook on some fish

Attachment(s)

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/10/06 17:31:46 (permalink)
Yes

Attachment(s)

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: fun stuff 2019/10/06 17:59:01 (permalink)
Great Rich. I have been taking it easy and watching soccer and football games at the local schools. Elbow is on the mend but still barks when workec

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/10/28 11:33:06 (permalink)
To the unitiated on the Sr and 'fish talk'--
When was up last had a young guy tell me that we had all missed the 'big run' this year as it happened in Mid Sept.
said he had read about it and not been able to get up to SR-told him I was there and there was NO big run- he wouldn't believe it cause he had read it- he said.
In Sept heard the story about 3 miles of Kings just outside getting ready to run-also read a few days back of a large school  of Kings on radar just outside the river getting ready to run.
Neither 'run' ever occurred.
Keep seeing photos from guides, with great fish, posted  only hours before with green leaves in the background -implied good fishing - HEY the leaves are turned now- those are OLD photos.
Hear stories about down way low where fish are first coming in,  even those are thin, but uninitated hearing the fishing was better here or there may think that indicates  GOOD FISHING- NO -just a bit better here or there.
These 'reports' are generally honest but dont reflect whats  happening to anyone but those of us who have been reading between those lines for years.
ex- when they say ya gotta cover a lot of water to find them it means the fish are few and far between.
Too often they are given by business folks who make a living on the river and have to make ends meet- understandable-those MUST be intertwined with actual fisherfolks reports which have been all too few and far between this year.
Old story- Years back chomped at the bit for Summer run Atlantics- read a tackle shop story from way upriver how they had just come up in big numbers and 'even the kids are catching them'.
Took Vac. time and ran up immediately-went right to that shop and asked what they had used to catch them. Guy behind the counter said  he hadnt seen an Atlantic all Summer. Shrugged his shoulders when I mentioned the story and quotes from THAT VERY shop.
Turned around and drove right back to Connecticut- didnt even see the river. 300 miles each way for Bovine Field Splatter.
I was pizzed , and after all these hears- still am.
To you newbies -read between the lines and dont be duped.
Granted they have been better the past few years after gettin hosed for unreal reports for so long but READ BETWEEN THE LINES.
Its a great river with great fish but ya gotta realize that-lately- your not gonna fill the freezer- even one on a trip is a trophy.

post edited by r3g3 - 2019/10/28 11:46:25
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re: fun stuff 2019/10/28 13:06:48 (permalink)
On the other hand, west end charter guides were biotching that there were no fish staged off the west end streams, but Saturday I spoke with a friend from Holley NY who said the drop pool and riffs below  the falls on his local stream was packed with salmon since the rains two weeks ago. 

I have gone up in the summer and walked large stretches of the river without finding anything but fallfish, but have stopped at the 52 bridge, and the kids, and a Va. spin fisher using small spoons, both reported catching fish and watching them rise to flies in the evenings for the prior week.  And I have stopped to look at a small pool WAY up in the headwaters to check for brookie action and found large atlantics hiding in the shadows, so I know there are fish.  Two weeks ago, I got to see a fair piece of the lower river on two days, and only one spot had fish, but it was a mess of them, unfortunately dark salmon and headed upstream without hesitating, and some hens cutting, but still a lot of fish.  Unfortunately, that was the day my rod decided to fold up at the ferrule, so all I did was watch and get wet for a while, and take one set of drifts with 2B's rod while he watched and got wetter.

I know they got their eggs at the hatchery, and they never had to close lower fly to do it, so there have been fish coming in, just never the "100 rooster tails at once for an hour below Josh" kind of run.  And it's quite a gauntlet that gets picked from the DSR line upstream into 81, so a LOT of fish did get harvested in Mid September, although a fish cleaner I know says that was the only time they were really busy
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 34
Jump to: