WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
elephanthead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1057
  • Reward points: 0
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 01:41:59 (permalink)
one dimensional ???
peacymike
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 540
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 02:29:57 (permalink)
yes i fish with this guy . he's great in catching steelheads i seen it . he know's his stuff
Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 07:40:37 (permalink)
Yes.   I don't fish walnut creek anymore, but back in the day, I stood right next to him, hundreds of times, and fished the same way.  He is not lifting fish, I'll guarantee you the average distance the fish move to attack those jigs is allot farther and more aggressive than anything else you'll fish with. It's as far from lifting fish as you can get.  

I've had lots of times when I was slamming fish, when some grumpy old dumbasses nearby by made a comment of "he must be snagging some of those". Especially when I was a younger kid. I guess I have a bit of a short fuse when it comes to that, allot of times because the guys making those comments were standing up in the chutes lining fish on every cast, like you said, whatever floats your boat.

Also, lets not go bring moms into this. All I'm saying is, those who've seen that particular guy fishing, and then said....

"Looks to me he's lifting" = dumbass

Whether or not that fits you I don't know.
post edited by Stillhead - 2008/02/10 07:44:53
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 10:24:38 (permalink)
Oh JAMES.....

where's my WOLLY BUGGERS, you bIg mEEnie???

..L.T.A.
Stillhead
Pro Angler
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 11:07:14 (permalink)
forgot all about them, I actually have them tied.. somewhere.

Yeah I guess I could have handled that better eh?  Just pushed the wrong button I guess.
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 13:56:30 (permalink)
I didn't say "snagging" I said lifting. And, it's only my opinion. If I "push your buttons" there's a block feature on this forum board.

I'll leave it at that.
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 14:14:01 (permalink)
2dog
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 14:38:13 (permalink)
When so posted, the
modified regulation will be fully effective and enforceable. This temporary modification will
remain in effect until January 1, 2009, unless the Commission, by appropriate action, adopts the
amendment. The Commission, under a separate notice of proposed rulemaking, will seek public
comments on a permanent change to the Commission’s fishing regulations.

So unless we fishermen clean up our act it could be made permanent.
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 14:49:38 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Loomis

Ha, that's not right. But gets me everytime.
Loomis
Pro Angler
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 15:18:38 (permalink)
I agree its wrong, but it was totally necessary.  One of those once'in'awhilers

Who cares about this night fishing stuff?? seriously.  Not many people do it and the ones that do, too bad you aren't the majority.  I am totally all for closing the manchester hole in all seriousness.  Walnut is great piece of water, in fact probably my favorite stream in Erie I just don't go there very often cuz of the crowd it draws.....it's so funny to walk through the manchester hole when its packed people who are baiting thier hooks along the bank run hurridley back to thier spot like its gone, some of the sh*t ive seen there over the years makes me laugh so hard. 

quote:

I agree Goodnuff. I think the manchester hole should be closed.  It would give the staging fish a fighting chance to get upstream to better water.  Think about the tribulation they face using the project waters as a runway, I give props to the fish that make it past the bridge its truly a feat of nature lol.  In september its like dropping the doors on amphibious vehicles in the D-day invasion.

"THink about the crowds there would be upstream if manchester hole was closed.  Not a good idea at all.  Plenty, and I do mean plenty, of fish make it past the chutes"

Livinfishin: I didn't see ur reply but yes I do know that plenty of fish make it past the chutes brother trust me, and I think people should spread out the length of the trib thats the idea, theres so much pressure on those fish trying to get upstream (way more than any other trib) that it would give the darn things a place to rest.  You want fish packed up in the bottom of the Project waters?  Plus would it hurt if more than plenty make it past the chutes?  Not putting you down but Just wondering, more fish upstream is better for everyone IMO. 

Maybe it should just be opened for youth fisherman???  Although iv'e seen plenty of adults who could pass for youth's there. 

anyways case in point, who cares about night fishing south of 5.  Not I. 
post edited by Loomis - 2008/02/10 15:33:04
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 15:50:50 (permalink)

I agree its wrong, but it was totally necessary.  One of those once'in'awhilers

Who cares about this night fishing stuff?? seriously.  Not many people do it and the ones that do, too bad you aren't the majority.  I am totally all for closing the manchester hole in all seriousness.  Walnut is great piece of water, in fact probably my favorite stream in Erie I just don't go there very often cuz of the crowd it draws.....it's so funny to walk through the manchester hole when its packed people who are baiting thier hooks along the bank run hurridley back to thier spot like its gone, some of the sh*t ive seen there over the years makes me laugh so hard. 

quote:

I agree Goodnuff. I think the manchester hole should be closed.  It would give the staging fish a fighting chance to get upstream to better water.  Think about the tribulation they face using the project waters as a runway, I give props to the fish that make it past the bridge its truly a feat of nature lol.  In september its like dropping the doors on amphibious vehicles in the D-day invasion.

"THink about the crowds there would be upstream if manchester hole was closed.  Not a good idea at all.  Plenty, and I do mean plenty, of fish make it past the chutes"

Livinfishin: I didn't see ur reply but yes I do know that plenty of fish make it past the chutes brother trust me, and I think people should spread out the length of the trib thats the idea, theres so much pressure on those fish trying to get upstream (way more than any other trib) that it would give the darn things a place to rest.  You want fish packed up in the bottom of the Project waters?  Plus would it hurt if more than plenty make it past the chutes?  Not putting you down but Just wondering, more fish upstream is better for everyone IMO. 

Maybe it should just be opened for youth fisherman???  Although iv'e seen plenty of adults who could pass for youth's there. 

anyways case in point, who cares about night fishing south of 5.  Not I. 

Youth fishing is a good idea. but then they'd have to have someone there to enforce it. And then someone would have to be paid, and god knows how hard that would be.

Anyways doesn't that guy own the hole? So it'd really be his decision.
Stillhead
Pro Angler
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 15:54:57 (permalink)
I know it is only your opinion, because I know what the FACT is, and the FACT makes your opinion completely wrong and one you should have kept to your incorrect self.
Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 15:59:29 (permalink)
Loomis
Pro Angler
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 16:57:38 (permalink)
what facts are you talking about Stillhead? 
post edited by Loomis - 2008/02/10 17:00:02
yungguru
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 170
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 17:50:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Stillhead

Yes.   I don't fish walnut creek anymore, but back in the day, I stood right next to him, hundreds of times, and fished the same way.  He is not lifting fish, I'll guarantee you the average distance the fish move to attack those jigs is allot farther and more aggressive than anything else you'll fish with. It's as far from lifting fish as you can get.  

I've had lots of times when I was slamming fish, when some grumpy old dumbasses nearby by made a comment of "he must be snagging some of those". Especially when I was a younger kid. I guess I have a bit of a short fuse when it comes to that, allot of times because the guys making those comments were standing up in the chutes lining fish on every cast, like you said, whatever floats your boat.

Also, lets not go bring moms into this. All I'm saying is, those who've seen that particular guy fishing, and then said....

lYarr

yu fshEd waLlnut on frydey dumas
i haMerEd themm rite inn fruNt of yu
post edited by yungguru - 2008/02/10 17:51:06
Loomis
Pro Angler
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 17:51:39 (permalink)
Welcome back Guru, you and cowboy been gettin at the steel hard for a few months I guess?
Stillhead
Pro Angler
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 18:05:16 (permalink)
LOL, you got me there duud,  I left out the word "much", I don't fish it "much" anymore.  I didn't think you liked fishing with a flea pole.
Stillhead
Pro Angler
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 18:06:33 (permalink)
What's so hard to understand?  The Fact is that he is not lifting fish.
smallhook
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 964
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 18:28:15 (permalink)
Yeah, he is definitely not lifting fish.  He is simply jiggin.  He really is good at it.  Everytime I see him I thank him for letting us fish there and so does my boy.   I do believe it should be closed at nite.  I have fished there at nite and it is a great spot but I sure wouldn't want a bunch of yahoo's in my backyard while I was trying to sleep.

The best thing that ever happened to that hole is when he closed off the east bank.  That was combat fishing at it's worst whenever we fished from both sides.  I also believe that the fishing improved upstream with just that one change.  As far as closing the hole entirely, well, that might be a good thing but I probably fish that hole only once a year.  It's tough fishing shoulder to shoulder when there is so much good water in Erie.
smallhook
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 964
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 18:29:05 (permalink)
Where u been guru?
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/10 19:45:26 (permalink)
goo goo,

Was that you out in front of the boat ramp, where you are not allowed to wade? You really should say howldy when you see us.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
Stillhead
Pro Angler
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/11 06:48:33 (permalink)
I thInK hEZ lYiN sPonSuKAr, pRobLy JiSt drOv bY aN saW uS.  oNlY duuD eYe SAw tHat CaMe clOse tWo wHat EyEd conSidDer HAMAARIN stElLy's, hAd a FleA pOle.
steelheadman28
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 393
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/11 20:47:29 (permalink)
Walnut ..... HUH. Not nuch of a fisherman at the Walnut streams but when I get up there and want to check a lake condition we sometimes go here and see a lot of people fishing. I guess this year we won't see anyone fishing. Doesn't really matter to me
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/11 21:08:34 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Stillhead

I know exactly what you mean Stillhead.  My reply to the ignorance of those who envy others that catch fish consistantly is simply...."****, am I good at snagging/lifting those fish right on the inside of their jaws, every time!"  I once had a guy tell me that I was literally snagging fish because they would never feed on anything that looks like a jig, LOL.  I sure don't know what jigs mimic...is it a minnow or large fly?  I don't care, they catch fish, or should I say, the fish catch themselves on them?  I know one thing for sure, 99.9% of the fish I catch on jigs, are not snagged or lifted! It really makes me chuckle when people think it is such a science to catch steelhead in the streams.  Bottom line IMO, you don't really have to be that good to catch 'em.  Those who fish for various species, I'm confident, can bare witness to that.
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/02/11 21:12:48

elephanthead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1057
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/12 10:55:39 (permalink)
Probably only fished the Manchester/Project hole twice in the last 5 or 6 years. Never cared for those spots but to each their own. As for night fishing, only for eyes. AND, DON'T YOU JUST LOVE IT WHEN A STEELIE SLAMS A JIG !!!!  By the way, Spoon, thanks for the jig on Sunday...
post edited by elephanthead - 2008/02/12 10:56:58
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/12 11:37:55 (permalink)
When I first started fly fishing for steelies EVERYONE was using sucker spawn and glo bugs.  Basically, that is all I ever used.  When the water got low and clear, the sucker spawn and glo bugs got smaller and when the water went up and got some color, they got bigger.  Sucker spawn and glo bugs were IT, period.  Well, there were woolly buggers too I guess, but I did not really use them much.  Too big I thought and I never used streamers or jigs.

After having some frustrating days, I learned about nymphs.  Ah, the humble pheasant tail, the brassie, prince, small stone flies and the copper john.  I cut back on the sucker spawn and glo bugs and went to the nymphs.  Success, but it too was a bit spotty at times, but now I had two major weapons in my arsenal.  When I learned to use nymphs as a dropper on a glo bug, things really got better.

This fall after having limited success with my usual flies, I started experimenting with jigs and streamers and let me tell you, they not only work, but will often work when nothing else will.  I had doubted people in the past who told stories of steelies chasing down a streamer or jig and crushing it.  I had never seen one do that with a sucker spawn or a nymph, but let me tell you, I am a believer.  I have seen some absolutely vicious hits this fall where a fish has come across a hole and hammered a streamer. 

I will say, that jigs and streamers are not perfect, but what they do is get the active fish to hit.   What I have noticed is that when I get to a pod of fish I start with a streamer or jig and see who is interested and work those fish first.  After they slow down and I have hooked the active fish, I will go back to the glo bugs and nymphs and see if I can get some of the others to hit.

If anyone wants the recipe for a great streamer-jig-like fly that will catch fish, send me a pm and I will send you the directions for tying.  They are easy, quick to tie, durable and best of all, they catch fish.

Oh yes, fish do bite jigs and streamers and you are not snagging them in the mouth.

pax vobiscum +
jknepp11111
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: WALNUT CREEK CHANGE, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY 2008/02/12 18:48:02 (permalink)
can you tell me why walnut creek is being closed at 10:00 pm tell 5:00 am.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: