Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2124
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/17 17:29:38 (permalink)
^^^^^ What Walcat said, WHAT WALCAT SAID ^^^^^ Keep the big motor and invest in a kicker motor.
Just some advice from another spry 43 and half yr. old whos rebuilt 3 boats already.

BH
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/17 18:20:00 (permalink)
BloodyHandKeep the big motor and invest in a kicker motor.

Yeah, we're past that... thoroughly talked out of it.
post edited by ZelieSam - 2015/12/10 15:55:08
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/17 18:26:20 (permalink)
Floor session one was not too bad I guess.  Seems that they foam they used was the good stuff that doesn't soak up water.  However, they installed it by drilling holes through the deck and pouring it in (which is pretty much the only way that's done I suppose) and the foam adhered to the bottom of the floor boards.  Completely.  Like "have to scrape it off" completely.  SIGH.  Progress tonight:

- removed the livewell/driver seat (in one piece, will certainly be able to salvage/sell it later)
- removed the passenger console board, so I can consider how I want to rebuild it
- removed the overlay BS carpet that was hiding the previous owner's shenanigans (which he fully disclosed before selling)
- removed driver side strip of carpet from the console back (what a nasty mess that was)
- removed first two panels of the driver side flooring and mostly leveled the foam underneath

Will add pics after I go clean up and get some dinner.  And... back.  Floor pics follow:

Not too thrilled about the amount of water still in here, but at least it is not in the foam (so far).  Dehumidifier is working on it.  

Livewell feed and drain pipes will be going.  I'm going to either use the livewell pump to feed a hose that I can use to fill my baitwell as needed (it has a nifty vertical drain built in, will detail that later in the build) or I'll replace it with a dual purpose raw water washdown pump/hose kit.  Haven't quite decided on that one yet.  The RWW would be really nice for cleaning off cutting boards, fish slime, etc.  But it would be much more likely to be in the way.  Have to see if there's a good spot for it when I'm laying out the back.  

post edited by ZelieSam - 2015/11/17 19:44:58
BloodyHand
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2124
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/17 19:49:08 (permalink)
Whoa, easy Walcat. I dont think ZS is dishin on any of our advice. He seems pretty absorbent actually.
My recommendation: When installing your new floor boards, completely encapsulate your wood in fiberglass and resin. Both sides. Screw it down, than glass the covered wood to the hull and sides of the boat.

BH
freshwaterdrumR
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 603
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/17 19:57:34 (permalink)
Zelie, if you are ripping all that foam and floor out now is the time to check for any leaky rivets. Fill her up with water and wait an hour and see which ones start to drip. just watch how
Much water you put in, might be more weigh than trailer can hold.
Btw nice boat. I fished the same
Model for a long time, handles erie great and does good on the small
Lakes too.
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/17 19:58:49 (permalink)
Some added pics.  Here's the side console with the face board removed.  I'm kindof thinking it might be nice to replace that face/glovebox deal with a nice tackle drawer instead.  That opening is 22.5" wide and 9" on the left / 10" on the right tall.  So maybe an 18'x6'x18" drawer?  That could be pretty sweet.  Build in a couple dividers for wallets/keys/phones and also tackle you don't want to carry (sinkers, swivels, etc).  It would cost a few bucks for sure, especially if I have it custom built.  This is a distant job, so I have some time to kick it around and hear suggestions.  

There's also a nice shelf under the console that might be a good spot for live vests.  So they are actually get-to-able but out of the way.  Maybe put a net type deal in there.  How many of us keep vests in our seats or under the deck?  Too many probably, I'm certainly guilty.  It would also make a pretty sweet spot to store tackle boxes though.  Probably fit 8-10 plano boxes on their sides.  

Last pic of that console shows a potential problem.  See those screws ^ on the braces?  Those are down into the floor.  Which is a problem if I have to replace that part of the floor.  At that point I'd probably have to remove the hole console, which I am hoping to avoid.  Not only because it is a bunch of work, but because it is riveted to the side of the boat.  And likely also to the front boxes.  Bad times.  Pic below shows possible sagging of the floor between the front seat boxes.  

Won't know for sure until I get the carpet up.  Minimally I will remove that carpet and replace it with whatever floor I go with.  Hopefully that floor is good enough.  Fingers crossed.  I don't plan to do a whole lot up there outside of the rail padding replacement and fitting a removable seat base.  
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/17 20:08:49 (permalink)
BloodyHandMy recommendation: When installing your new floor boards, completely encapsulate your wood in fiberglass and resin. Both sides. Screw it down, than glass the covered wood to the hull and sides of the boat.

Hmmmm.  Not sure my skills are up to glassing, though I've watched quite a few videos of it being done.  Assuming you are shooting for 100% waterproofedness/last literally forever with that method?  Kind of a full commitment though, because if you pop a rivet under that glass floor you're never getting it back up.  I'll ponder that.  This will come back up when I'm drawing up the replacement floor plans.

freshwaterdrumRZelie, if you are ripping all that foam and floor out now is the time to check for any leaky rivets. Fill her up with water and wait an hour and see which ones start to drip. just watch how much water you put in, might be more weigh than trailer can hold.

Still hoping to not do that.  But if I do have to gut it I'll do that.  I'm reasonably confident that it doesn't leak, based on it taking several Erie trips with nary a drop inside the boat.  That said, everything I've ever read or heard says rivets leak or WILL leak like you say.  Hold that thought.  

freshwaterdrumRBtw nice boat. I fished the same Model for a long time, handles erie great and does good on the small Lakes too.

Thanks!  For all that it is rough and needs a bunch of work, I'm very happy with this model boat.  It should be an impressive machine by the spring if everything goes well.  
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/17 20:18:03 (permalink)
Some misc pics.  The seats out of the boat, one showing that livewell design, and my SONOS/receiver/scrub laptop setup for jamming Pandora.

Bottom ^ of the pile is the back to back seat/lounge deal.  Could probably be refurbed, though I'm not at all a fan of the design.  Probably take that to the dirtball mall and try to get $20 for it in the spring.  

Livewell and seat ^ are actually in perfect working order.  The base of the driver's seat could be replaced as needed, but as is it hold my mooselike frame just fine.  If this thing wouldn't have been completely in the way of the layout I'm shooting for I might have kept it in the boat.  And now that I think about it... been considering getting a smaller 1 man boat for when I don't have a buddy and I just want to fish on Arthur.  This would be perfect for a small jobber like that.  Going to stick it in storage for possible future re-use.  :)

Oh, see that bubbler pump ^ beside the receiver?  Those are garbage, don't buy them.  You want the Frabil whisper ones.  Better in every way.  

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/19 21:29:44 (permalink)
Drug myself into the boat today just for a quickie.  Unhooked and pulled the battery.  Which was wired by a drunken money.  Can't wait for a proper wired effort.  Current plans are for a rear battery hooked to the motor and a clean run up to a new bus bar under the driver console.  Then a front battery (not sure where I'm stashing this yet) to its own bus bar.  Rear battery will run the engine, ignition, bilge and raw washdown pump.  The front battery will run boat lights, aux plugs for submerged lights, aux plug for livewell, VHF, fish finder, and possible radio.  

This picture below shows where the battery was.  I need to rig this up properly to house the battery.  At least with a holddown or box, but probably some soft of shelf so the battery is easier to pull out of there when needed.  I pulled all 3 muscles in my body getting that bastard out tonight.  

This pic ^ shows the other half of the bilge area.  The yellow pump you see was the livewell pump.  The plan is to replace that with a RWW pump.  Below that red wire just out of sight is the bilge pump.  Sadly, that's just a 500gph little guy.  Thinking that should be a 1200gph Tsunami at least.  That's only a $30 pump.  Not all that keen on the auto pumps... but I don't have any experience with them.  I'd love to hear some feedback on that bilge pump situation.  
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/19 21:43:52 (permalink)
Couple pics of the tank.  I was unsure about pulling the tank, since it is full and worse it is under some riveted braces.  After a look though, the rear brace across the tank looks like it is smashed a bit.  That isn't good at all.  Since the inside feet of both rear anglers will be right on top of the spot.  That means I have to drill out the braces, drain that big beast into something, and get it out of there.  I'm not sure how to drain the tank outside of just some hose and siphoning.  Which isn't the safest move.  And then I need something to store 18 gal of mixed gas... can't go in the cars.  Anyway, once that's all covered I have to put it back and design some braces that don't suck.  Luckily I'm an expert metal... guy?  &*(#^@&*

Oh, in this pic ^ you can see the new fuel line we ran.  But it needs re-re-run because that hose was too short for the full run, and we had to clamp it a couple times. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/19 21:53:58 (permalink)
Sam have ya considered a battery selector switch? Gives you choice of start battery as well as charging capability to each.

Auto bilges have been known to kill batteries. No need for such a device if your not mooring. Unless ya just want to be cool and in that case you'll want to buy one that provides a BIG decal for your boat.(lol)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/19 22:06:22 (permalink)
Get the tank out so ya can inspect that mother for dirt, gunk and, other nasty none breathing stuff that forms when water mixes with gas and oil. While yer at it, put a canister type fuel filter inline. Get one that provides a great BIG decal for the boat. :-)

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/12/02 21:37:33 (permalink)
Minor update.  Despite good intentions, I didn't touch the boat at all over the holiday.  Yeah, that lazy.  Went out today to drain the gas tank.  Cut the fitting off the fuel line on the motor end, and then put the hose down into a barrel and pumped the ball.  That worked... not at all.  That ball need a closed end to work I guess?  It doesn't function as a running pump.  Either that or the pump ball dealy is screwed.  Either way, wasted effort.  F-

Went to the local hardware and got 20' of clear 3/8" ID tube.  Going to connect that directly to the tank and siphon it out.  Figure I'll have a decent chance of not getting a mouthful of gas if I can see through the hose.  Will report back on how that goes.  Or you'll see me on the news in the burn/explosion ward.  
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/12/06 00:08:17 (permalink)
Had a helper today, so I decided to get after that pesky gas tank.  Pictures to follow.  Lessons learned: 

- any time you mess with gasoline, expect to bathe in it
- gas fumes may not always asplode, but they REALLY aren't fun to breathe for very long
- if you think you got it all out/empty, you didn't
- gas doesn't taste very good at all, and the fumes don't taste a whole lot better
- BOAT BUILDERS CAN EAT A GIGANTIC BAG OF UNSPECIFIC ANIMAL GENITALIA

I didn't get any gas in my mouth, despite having to resort to old school hose_siphoning.  But I did get a couple good chomps of the fumes to get the siphon started, and that wasn't really all that fun.  Drained a good 15 gallons from the tank before it stopped, and assumed it was empty.  See #3 above.  So when we finally got the **** thing over the rail, it spewed a good big gulp of fuel on my basement floor.  Lovely.  Then we had to drain it with a bucket while I held the thing on the rail.  Had another 6-8 gallons in it!  Which... going to have to attribute to the boat not being leaned back like it normally would.  

Anyway, several pic of the tank, plus pics of the brace removal.  And to remove those braces I had to cut out some floor.  AND I had to remove four angle-dealies that were riveted in and sticky taped to the tank.  They REALLY didn't want this thing moving.  Assuming that all those efforts are to insure the tank can't bounce around and come loose, so I'll have to figure out a way to put them back.  Likely I'll just rivet them back in after cleaning them.  

See how the brace here ^ stuck out under the side board?  

Three rivets drilled out of each side of the braces ^

Used a battery powered circular saw to cut away the floor.  You can see two of the L braces in this pic, which also had to be drilled out and the pried off.  
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/12/06 00:16:20 (permalink)
You can see in the middle picture above that these braces were pretty haphazard.  Look at that big gap and see how the brace looks like it cracked/sagged.  Then look at the first pic with the much smaller gap.  Going to take those to my metal guy and have him design me something that doesn't suck.  If I have to use steel plate there and route out the bottom of the floor board, I will do that.  No sense having flimsy braces.  

Couple pics of the gas tank (filthy thing) out of the boat and the mess where it was in the boat.  

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/12/06 00:24:07 (permalink)
Finish off with a pic of the mess which is my bilge area.  Look at that birds nest of wiring nonsense.  There's about 3x what you see in that picture.  Going to spend some time wiring this thing proper, and it's going to feel really good not to have slipshod wiring plaguing me.  I'm talking nice clean traces of proper colored wire with shrink wraps and flex conduit.  

Also a good pic of the gas filler hose, which was a NIGHTMARE to remove.  The neck on the tank is 4 or 5 inches and that hose is no joke.  Double clamped because... of the Exxon Valdez spill I guess.  Took us 15-20 mins of struggle to get that off, and I'm certain that putting it back will suck harder.  Also those rear braces are wobbly ****e, will have to re-engineer them before reinstalling the tank.  

Probably take tomorrow off and let the gas fumes evaporate from my garage.  I'll spend that time trying to find someone to clean that gas tank properly.  Suggestions would be well appreciated.

ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/12/13 15:48:58 (permalink)
Well I cleaned the tank today.  Outside cleaned up very easily with a QVC crappy power washer.  Inside... full of bits and BS and gunk.  :(  No easy way to get at that either.  Tried some seafoam, which did loosen some of the gunk but that stuff is expensive and I don't have nearly enough of it.  Mechanic friend says kerosene.  Swish and dump kind of deal.  Thinking I'll add some BBs for added action.  Don't want to try a chain or nuts and bolts or any of the more colorful internet suggestions, since there's a float in there that works.  I'll take a couple pics of the clean tank after I go get some kerosene.  
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/12/13 18:29:33 (permalink)
Before I get to those pics, a small rant, and it is going to be VERY hard for me to keep this PG13...

The person or persons who designed the "safety" spout that is on every gas can made in the last 10 year should be found, set on fire, rolled in fire ants, thrown in acid, rolled through some more ants, and then thrown into traffic.  After setting them on fire again.  And maybe shot in the balls and stabbed in the face a few times.  Oh!  Pecked by crows.  Forgot that.  Seriously every time I touch one of those worthless POSs I go absolutely insane.  Right after I'm soaked in gas, or whatever is in the can I'm trying to use, since soaking the user seems to be the only thing those spouts are useful for.  Also, *($^  *(^&*$@(&)  &*^$T%$&^@^)*  &*(^%$*&($%)(  &*$T^@&  *($&^.  And *($&@)!

Okay, now then.  I found some local kerosene, and managed to clean out the tank pretty good.  Gas tank mischief managed.  Next session will be back on the floor removal.  

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4009
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/12/23 11:07:33 (permalink)
Looking good. 

EMitch
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/12/24 12:11:49 (permalink)
Zelie Sam, as one who has just done a complete rebuild of my 1988 Sylvan Backtroller, (bought new), I know what you're going through, though I get the impression that although you want to get it done, you seem at times a little less enthusiastic. Yep! It sometimes seems overwhelming, but you'll eventually get 'er done, and the finished product should make you proud. It may have been a little easier for me, as I'm a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge technician and a fairly proficient woodworker and DIYer.
After a bit of motor trouble and career changes, my boat sat outside neglected for 17 years, with little maple and wild cherry trees growing up in the floor. It is now fully restored, (with all heavier panels and vinyl instead of carpeting), and running like a champ. I do need to turn the bilge pump on for 10 or 15 seconds every 45 minutes or so, but I can live with that. Not bad for a 27 year old aluminum hull. Keep on keepin' on!
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/12/24 18:50:20 (permalink)
I'm on a Christmas break now, but I plan to put in a couple days on floor removal over the weekend.  I think/hope it will be more exciting once I start putting things IN the boat.  For now the removal is a bit tedious.  Should have some pictures before Monday.  

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/12/25 09:25:38 (permalink)
Sam, I'm gonna try the upload feature and put a few pics on here and give you a few ideas if I can.

post edited by EMitch - 2015/12/25 09:46:14

Attached Image(s)

EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2016/01/20 21:18:56 (permalink)
How's the rebuild going, Sam? Gonna have 'er ready for the walleye opener?
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2016/01/21 00:14:10 (permalink)
Wish I could say it is going well.  But the truth would be that I haven't touched it since... I don't want to scroll up and look.  But April is my goal, so I'm going to suck it up soon and get in there.  I hope.  
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9657
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2016/01/22 09:32:22 (permalink)
I feel for you.  Unless you have a wide open heated shop, boat repair of any kind in a 40 degree garage is for the birds.  If doing the epoxy encapsulated floor boards, you need about 72 hours of 55 degrees or higher if doing 2 coats.  I ran out of space in my 2 car garage, with the boat and places to put my floor boards while they dried (on saw horses and other improvised spots for smaller pieces).  After getting the basic floor down, my plans to add additional storage lockers and fold up seats, went out the door...  I didn't have mine on the water until mid May.  Be careful of how thick you put on the carpet mastic if doing carpet too...  Mine has some nasty spots that seeped through.  Likely would have been mid-June if adding the extras.  At least the big pond fishing doesn't usually turn on fire until late spring and summer.  You'll have to give up some Arthur, Pymie and Skyway pier time (just kidding on last one), but be well worth it when you have it done in time to chase the perch and walleye schools.  Not going to lie, putting the stuff back in, isn't all that more fun (tedious still), but when you start seeing it come together it is a great feeling and will push you to finish it out.  Good luck.  
EMitch
Pro Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2016/03/06 19:25:50 (permalink)
Sam, it's gettin' close to April and not a word? I was just re-readin' from the beginning and noticed you were concerned about the level flotation. It's a PITA, but I did it all in my rebuild. I scraped out 6 drum liner garbage bags of waterlogged flotation. Think I got rid of about 500 pounds. I bought flotation from a place in Mass., two 2 1/2 gallon jugs of part A and part B. You mix it 50/50, stir it up and dump it in, and it expands 30 times its original measure. I got special mixing cups from the Autobody supply store 'cause of the accurate measurements. Since I had no floor yet at all, I made a wooden jig to fit over each compartment and sometimes had to make two or three pours, depending on the size of each compartment. Bad move to just put the plywood jig on by itself; the stuff sticks to it bigtime. I put a 10lb. anchor and a 5lb. sledge hammer down on the plywood, but the flotation just lifted it right off. Second compartment, I used the old girls parchment paper to line the bottom of the plywood jig, made my final pour, and jumped in the boat and sat on it for 5 minutes 'til it cured, then just left the wax paper. So it was for 26 compartments. This stuff sticks well to itself, and it forms a skim that makes it shed any water. It took me a week to do all the compartments between the center runners out to the sides between the ribs. It came out good. I think the factories just drill the 1 1/2" hole and inject the stuff in, but we don't have that luxury.
Also, I traveled nearly two hundred miles out into Ohio to get Douglas Fir Marine plywood. It was half the price per sheet of what they wanted around here. I saved $100 over local, even after paying the gas and the tolls on Pike. Marine Plywood by Homestead;
http://marine-plywood.us
Still lookin' forward to this rebuild.
post edited by EMitch - 2016/03/06 19:28:23
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2016/03/08 13:38:51 (permalink)
So... the world is conspiring against me and this boat.  I do realize that spring is coming soon, and I am still planning to be done in a month (or so) to be fishing nice and early.  Was all set to get in the boat today but my parents called and I'm at their house keeping the cable company from screwing up their wireless.  After that we'll see if I can't get some work done.  

But I called West Penn in Butler about a cover, and he's patterning tomorrow.  SIGH.  So there goes 4 or 5 good work days on the boat to get the cover made.  I'm actually happy to get something made that quickly so I'm jumping on it now.  Quoted me 600ish for a nice custom waterproof travel cover with poles and vents (whatever that means).  I was thinking more than that so I'm encouraged.  Plus he is a LOT closer than the OH guy I was considering.  I'll get some pics/start a post for that if I get the cover.  I'm sure some guys are interested in boat covers.  

Meanwhile I need to sell that pontoon boat.  Craigslist is devoid of cheap pontoons at the mo, so I need to get mine on the market and gone.  That will fund my kicker/repower phase.  Getting the toon out of deep storage on Thursday.  

As for winter work, about the time I should have been in the boat my wife decided I could take my laid off self for a nice long FL vacation/job hunt.  Couldn't pass that action up so I packed up and left.  Now that's an excuse for being lazy and not working on the boat and all, but at least I got a tan (sunburn) and some sheepshead (the good saltwater kind) to show for it.  Tampa weather beats the hell out of winter PA weather.  

Anyway, there's my update.  Shoulda/coulda been further along by now, but there it is.  When I have some actual progress and pictures to post I'll start a part 2 of this so people don't have to wade through all the old pictures.  

Appreciate the flooring info.  I'll look into that while they have my boat in the stall.  
PeterJohnson
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2016/03/09 08:38:58 (permalink)
You've already done a great job! 
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2016/03/17 17:43:37 (permalink)
Started a second thread for this, part 2 style.  Should help load times.  See it here:  http://forums.fishusa.com/Message/568558-Boat-rebuild-Sea-Nymph-19FS-PART-2/#568558 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: