Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
  • Reward points: 0
2015/10/20 15:29:51 (permalink)

Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS

Starting a thread for my boat rebuild.  Almost ready to garage it for the season and get started.  Here are the goals I have for the rebuild:

- replace the spongy floor (and possibly go from carpet to vinyl or spray in liner)
- redesign the rear of the boat for better fishing (new seats, etc)
- remove all of the hip rail padding which is falling apart, possibly replace
- install bus bar and proper switches for electronics on the helm
- replace re-run all wiring and steering/throttle cables into one clean run, out of the way
- remove/clean/reinstall in-floor gas tank including all fittings and hoses
- remove cap-rail boards and replace with pvc boards for mounting rod holders etc
- fill all holes in cap rail and remove any unused nonsense installed there
- remove unused snaps and fill the holes in
- replace the gigantic CB antenna with something reasonable if possible (haven't researched yet)
- install marine radio + speakers, mp3/ipod compatible
- install rod holders and/or rod trees for holding rods and landing net
- install glovebox front or rebuild passenger console for storage
- install swing kit on trailer to extend the tongue  (it is a bit too close to the boat now to open rear hatch)

Stretch goals / "maybe" projects - might or might not do these, time/money/etc depending

- remove all stickers etc and repaint outside of boat
- purchase/install 18/20hp kicker engine
- install battery charger
- install (removeable) front fishing seat
- reconfigure front of boat for better anchor use + misc storage
- install pump for filling bait jaccuzzi livewell  (instead of just using a bucket)
- install a quick disconnect or plug deal-y for livewell  (instead of using a small battery to run it)
- buy a waterproof travel cover (custom fit) for hauling the boat
- replace anything on the boat and trailer that has rust on it with stainless (bolts, hinges, etc)
- replace trailer winch, or possibly just handle and strap

That's about it.  First time I tried to write it all down, so I'm probably missing something.  I plan to post a bunch of pics here, before and after types.  I know I enjoy seeing them when others do this kind of thing; hoping to pay it forward.  Might be a bit bold of me that I'll actually complete most of this, but maybe it will shame me into some extra work.  Can't hurt!  

58 Replies Related Threads

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/10/20 15:45:52 (permalink)
    Some pre-prep... something I can do before the boat is in the garage and ready to work on is a layout for the rear.  Here's a sketch I'm working from.  To the left is the rear of the boat, and to the right at the edge of that grid is the dual consoles/walk through windshield deal.  So picture some extra foot room for those front seats.  

(link didn't work, URL instead)  http://users.zoominternet.net/~pistachios/fs19/boatsketch.pdf 

I have another sketch where that cooler is replaced with a bigger 42" cooler.  Advantage of the big cooler is the split lid, so we could cushion half and still get in the cooler without someone having to constantly get up.  Disadvantage is that I'm not sure there's room to sit comfortably with that big cooler installed.  And I'm not certain the half lid will hold up to long term abuse from a full sized guy sitting on it.  The 42" cooler is a 150qt marine coleman I've had for many years.  The only time I've ever filled it with fish was from a mahi charter offshore Hatteras, so it isn't like I need that big of a fish box on the regular.  I'll probably wait to decide until I have the floor rebuilt and all those other seats installed, or at least roughed in.  Then I can get myself and one of my larger fishing buddies in there to test the layout.  

Am I missing anything there?  Better designs you can suggest?  If I go with four fishing chairs we'd have to just jam a cooler under them, and that sucks.  The storage boxes will let me hide 4 vests out of the way plus a few misc similar items so those are a must.  I guess I could jam them up front, but that gets crowded with that big dumb Erie anchor.  
    post edited by ZelieSam - 2015/10/20 15:48:27
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/10/20 20:26:18 (permalink)
    Fair point, though there will be three fishing seats in the back and two seats up front with backrests as needed.  The cooler seat is more for active fishing.  

Attaching some "before" pics.  These two are the outside.

Attached Image(s)

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/10/20 20:30:08 (permalink)
    Inside pics showing the back corner, view of the consoles, view of the crappy back-to-back seat and also the cheapo bimini.

Attached Image(s)

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/10/20 23:09:28 (permalink)
    Go for it Zelie we're all behind ya on this project.  Unless ya need physical labor and/or money, than your on your own.

I had a ball revamping a 16' Starcraft Run-A-Bout, don't think I ever had a project that made winter seem to fly by.  Same style of seats and the walk thru wind shield looks identical.  I pulled the vinyl floor covering and replaced it with carpeting then installed pedestal seats.  The bow had walk between seating and I converted that to a platform, installed hatch covers giving rod and other storage underneath, then installed a pedestal seat as part of that refurb.

Good luck, I'll certainly stay tuned. 
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/10/20 23:23:09

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/10/21 12:44:40 (permalink)
    Zelie,  had to replace my seats this spring.  went to the usual sites, Bass Pro, Cabelas, Marine supplies(stay away from these).  I found what I wanted at Bass Pro (Cabelas too) and just for the helluv it I checked Walmart.  Here were the seats I wanted $100-$150 cheaper than the outdoor stores.  $84 from Walmart and that included delivery to my door.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/10/21 12:57:05 (permalink)
    yes, using that cooler as a seat is uncomfortable but I saved alot of room in my 18 footer by removing the old, torn up seats on the port side of the boat and replacing them with a huge removable cooler.  I'm driving so I don't know how uncomfortable it is to sit on but the guys that do sit there just use my throwable PDF cushions to sit on.  Never regretted this decision.  Freed up a lot of room in the back for the 2 guys running rods and nets when trolling for eyes.  And by the looks of things, your boat is either the same size or smaller than mine.  I also limit the number of people to 3; myself and 1 or 2 others no matter what we're fishing for.

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/10/21 12:58:40 (permalink)
    BTDT - I was considering changing the front (listed in the stretch goals) but I'm thinking probably not.  I don't need a fishing chair up there, and if I did I think the mount the previous owner made would take a seat base peg already.  But it could happen I guess, if I get bored otherwise.  

Pike - thanks.  I'll consider them when I get to the buying seats stage.  I haven't been on a lot of different boats to know which seats are most comfortable.  I'm a big guy, so a little extra padding never hurts in a seat.  I'll probably road trip to Cabelas to try a few out before buying them online.  :)

Here's a bolt on that's going on my xmas list:  http://www.boatoutfitters...s-and-boga-grip-holder
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/10/21 14:48:33 (permalink)
    just remember Zelie, you're paying 2 to 3 times more for an item if you buy it at a marine/boat place.  let those places be your last resort.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/10/21 21:26:33 (permalink)
    I hear ya buddy, back then I was more into baaaa....... uhhh, baaaaaaas............. ummm, catching perch like fishes.  

Having a platform in the bow of my Starcraft really got me up in the world.  I mean to tell ya,  I had absolutely no problem looking down, on the competition during fishing tournaments.

Good luck with your project, your gonna look good on the water come spring.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/10/22 02:51:25 (permalink)
    Zelie, that boga grip holder is fine as long as those tools are stainless and not prone to rust.  And keep those lures off of this thing.  One rough day out there could bounce one loose and now you have hooks on deck that could be stepped on.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/10/22 02:54:42 (permalink)
    Just for the heck of it I rechecked that tool holder and now see the tools don't come with it.  Zelie you can do alot better than that at putting something together from Lowes than justifying that $30 price tag you'd be paying for this.  See what I mean about boat supply places.  That little bit of plastic should be a $5 item.

post edited by pikepredator2 - 2015/10/22 03:05:28
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/10/22 12:12:33 (permalink)
    Well, I already have all those tools in spades, so that's not the issue.  Let's say I had a table saw (with a dado blade) and a router AND some of that starboard stock laying around... I'd still need to work on that for a fricking week to get it dialed in to actually do what it does.  That week of fiddling is worth $30 to me and then some.  I'm not a huge DIY guy though I do have minor aspirations.  One must pick their battles.  
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/10 12:16:07 (permalink)
    Got the garage stall clear (finally) should have the boat inside tonight.  Let the madness begin!
    H3Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 340
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/10 13:59:55 (permalink)
    B.O.A.T = Bust out another thousand! Enjoy the project and post pics of progress.
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/11 17:56:26 (permalink)
    Well, made some progress.  Emptied the garage, moved the boat in, and boy did it barely fit.  Had to remove the tongue (which needs replaced anyway) to get the door shut.  Engine touching the back wall, and just enough room to squeeze by into the basement.  

For grins I tried to remove a cleat and/or the board it is attached to... yeah didn't happen.  Nothing is going to come off this boat without a struggle.  Let the madness begin!

Also, who the heck uses non-stainless bolts on a **** trailer?  Idiots, that's who.  "No chance this thing will ever get wet!"  Sigh.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/11 18:38:00 (permalink)
                             YOU CAN DO IT SAM, YOU CAN DO IT!!  

PS.  Better you than me!

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/14 22:07:23 (permalink)
    Spent an hour and change on the boat today.  Ended up soaked to the bones from the fricking wet carpet.  Getting in that thing is no picnic, but pales in comparison to getting back out.  SIGH.  What did I accomplish?  Here's a quick list:

- removed passenger and rear combing (bs padding that is falling apart)
    - removed bimini top and passenger bimini rail
    - removed 6 of the 7 a-hole bolts holding down one of those top boards
    - un-mounted the passenger seat box (still in the boat, but no longer screwed down)
    bonus - removed a sticky-outy part of the bench in my garage and moved a stack of boards, allowing easy use of the door

You'll probably note that I really didn't get much done.  Turns out that every single fastener you use on a boat is a one shot deal.  Meaning you attach it, it is never coming out (easily) unless it breaks off, and then you are still not getting it out.  The four brass lock-nuts holding the now destroyed cleat to the rail cost me about 45 minutes of swearing and nearly losing a finger.  I really considered getting a boss drill out and drilling the balls off of every one of these and then just patching the rail after.  But that really isn't the right thing to do, and I'd have metal shavings in my balls for years after.  

Oh, and while I'm ranting about fasteners... if you use a screw, bolt, or any other fastener with a STRAIGHT SLOT on it, you should be immediately murdered.  By rabid weasels.  I don't know why these things still exist, but I demand their immediate destruction.  (*#&@*(^&()*$@ straight slot )(@$*)(@$&)(_@$.  

Had a good talk about laying out the boat with my primary fishing buddy also.  He's the front-of-the-boat guy, so we went over chair vs not chair, where he'd likely put rods and bait buckets, etc.  Decided on a removable chair, so we could use it for anchored fishing local lakes and drift fishing, but pull it for Erie and other fish from the back situations.  Probably put a 6" piece of track up there for a removable rod holder also, and replace the standard cleat with something from this century.  

Will try to get some pics up tomorrow after I get the driver side combing off.  Oh, and I think I'm going to replace that craptastic bolster pad with this seadek stuff:   http://www.seadek.com/c-8-coaming-bolsters.aspx   Assuming I can afford it.  

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/14 22:23:56 (permalink)
    Glad to see your making progress..................

Let me know when it's ready for some fishing on Lake Arthur.  Or, maybe delay the sale of the "toon" for a par-tayyyy at Zelie's house of water.

We're all behind ya on this project, Git-R-Done!

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/15 02:01:21 (permalink)
    When my neighbor and I rebuilt my transom and replaced the entire floor it was those sticky-outy parts that drove us crazy too.  lol.  Love following this and can't wait to see the finished product.  That is of course you don't lose it by March and state troopers have you surrounded in an abandoned cabin in the Poconos.
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/15 16:28:21 (permalink)
    50/50 on that pike.  50/50
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/15 19:36:30 (permalink)
    Well here are some pics and a progress report.  Got all the rear combing pad gone.  Got the left and right top rail boards off, and got all but four of the rear top rail board bolts out.  Why not those four?  Because the genius nuts they were installed with rusted to bits and crumbled.  Not enough to just fall off mind you... just enough that no socket/wrench/plier will ever work on them.  I'm going to have to drill the ****ed things out.  Which means I need to enlist a helper, since someone has to be in the boat with pliers on the bolt until the drill bit snaps off the bolt head.    That's going to be great fun.  Oh, and as a bonus, will get razor sharp metal shavings in the boat carpet to shred unsuspecting folk for years to come.  &*(@$&)$(@  &*$^  *(#&$@  *(#&#() !

First couple pics are the combing pads gone:

Notice in this picture ^ tiny three switch panel with one of the three snapped off.  That gets replaced with a real boy rocker setup when I re-wire the boat.  Oh, and same goes for that gigantor CB antenna.  Seriously, who needs a 9' long antenna?  I'm fishing a couple miles offshore at Erie at most, not 500 miles out of Georges fricking Bank.   

Notice in this picture ^ how they ran the power cords into the boat and down to the battery instead of routing it correctly through the boot?  Yeah, I'll be fixing that nonsense.  

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/15 19:43:39 (permalink)
    Here's a nice taste of how the boards were fastened with random rusty BS.  And the naked cap rail.  I was going to fill in the holes, but I think maybe not.  Just going to wire brush it down to bare aluminum and mount the new PVC board on there.  The holes can stay, since they really don't hurt anything.  

'

This last pic is a gem.  That snapped off POS on the left was about three threads into the cap rail.  Just enough that I had to pry it up.  And if you look close on the bottom right hole of that scotty, there's a rusty... nail? type thing.  Yeah, WTSF.  

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/15 19:47:42 (permalink)
    Last bits, the passenger seat removed and a shot of the driver seat/livewell combo.  That's going to be interesting to remove.  I hope it is screwed to the floor and not riveted to the hull.  If I can get it out in one piece I'll probably try to sell it.  Someone will like that thing in their boat.  Not for me though.  I'm going to have a bit baitwell in there instead, and a cooler for fish to go in.  No sense keeping them alive all day just to kill them later.  Ice is nice.  

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/15 23:56:24 (permalink)
    I'm just having me a load of chtz and giggles over this project, thanks for inviting us. 

Keep up the good work, we're rootin for ya!

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/16 15:33:48 (permalink)
    what walcat said.  SERIOUSLY, what walcat said!  when I first got my boat 8 years ago I swore I'd never be out at night.  that was until I watched my first sunset from the back of the boat while running walleye rods.  there's nothing like coming back in on a glass lake, pitch black except for the stars and the marina lights.  this only works tho when you know your safety equipment is solid.
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/16 20:06:02 (permalink)
    Fine, I hear you about the antenna.  I will give it due consideration instead of snapping it over my knee like I want to.  

Quick teardown update... called in my dad (fixer of all things) to help me with those four BS bolts that needed drilled.  He looks it over, hops in the boat and says "does this board have to survive in one piece?"  Well no, as a matter of fact it doesn't.  So he says we'll just split it with a hammer and chisel, and then he bolt-cuttered the bolts off in about 10 seconds.  The wisdom of age.  

Next step, tear out the floor!  Then the real fun begins.  
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/16 21:59:33 (permalink)
    Hoping not to have to mess with foam.  If it is waterlogged I'm hosed for sure.  I've seen enough build threads to know I want no part of that.

post edited by ZelieSam - 2015/12/10 15:54:35
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/17 09:49:45 (permalink)
    That foam will be water logged....remove it and use those floating noodle tubes the kiddies use in the pool. Don,t mess with that foam crap....just another ol "Nam" vets wisdom...  ;-)

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS 2015/11/17 10:31:51 (permalink)
    MikastormThat foam will be water logged...

Come on buddy.  Positive thoughts!

And for the record, since this whole internets thing doesn't always do the best job of communicating... I appreciate any of the advice and/or comments people are giving.  Even if I don't want to hear that particular advice.  That's the whole point of posting here.  Hell that's really the whole point of this forum.  So if I say I'm going to change something that I don't feel is essential, and a couple guys who have spent time doing the fishing I'm gearing up for tell me not to, I listen to their advice.  Doesn't mean I'm instantly in love with the idea of a big dumb in the way antenna, or that I wouldn't love to ditch that PITA big engine for a nice 20.  Having guys tell me that my plan is a mistake saves me time and money at least, and that's pretty awesome.  So thank you, even if you are grumpier than me.   
    post edited by ZelieSam - 2015/11/17 10:46:40
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: