Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
  • Reward points: 0
2016/03/17 17:29:10 (permalink)

Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2

Okay, finally got back to it.  Lazy tax hit me hard over the winter, but I'm fixing to make up for it with a week or two of hard work now.  Besides, it is going to be cold all next week.  So I called in some favors and got a place to wrench on the boat indoors.  Bonus, it has a proper 40' ceiling, which lets me walk about the boat without banging my head.  

Got the cover off and jumped into it.  Figured out rather quickly that I should have brought my circular saw, as the floor rebuked my efforts to pry it up.  I wrote that down on my tools list, and moved on to the front bolsters.  Removed them all but the smallest front pad.  Not sure what I'll be doing up here yet.  My plan for this area is to replace the crappy cleat with a proper one, and then put a 6" piece of track up there perpendicular to the boat.  But looking at that board behind the pad, I could attach some things here instead.  I'm kicking that around.  Here is a pic of that:

And a pic of the front bolsters removed:

Oh!  While I was sitting up front considering, I though of something to do on those ^ console fronts (passenger side is identical).  I'm thinking of an angled board with a three rod holder attached.  Then another angled board that same size but with a nice pad installed.  Then a couple of bolts to hold them on that I can swap out depending on the trip.  If I'm going to have front passengers I'll put the pads on, but if we're fishing that's 6 rod holders that are mostly out of the way.  Between those and the trees I'm ordering I'll be able to hang 12 rods/nets.  That will do nicely I think.  Just have to work out the angle and the fasteners.  Shouldn't be too hard.  

Also did some work on the trailer.  I managed to snap off one of the stainless guide rods, but my dad welded it back together.  We wrote up a list of absurdly rusty bolts (see pic) for replacing, and I pulled the spare off to replace it with a proper matching tire.  Which won't quite fit where it was mounted.  That probably explains why there is some BS smaller tire on the rim now.  I'm not having that nonsense, so we're engineering a canted mount for the new tire.  

All I got done today, besides writing out a big list of stuff I need to gather and buy.  Also discussed the new wiring and some of the parts needed for that.  Planning on hitting it hard tomorrow to finish up the floor removal.  Then a good thorough cleanup of the whole boat.  Then measure for the new floor and get the gas tank back in.  If I get that far tomorrow I'll be quite pleased.  Will update when I can.

31 Replies Related Threads

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/03/17 22:05:40 (permalink)
    Looooooooking real good there, Hoss.   

OMG I am so sorry I said that!!!!!    

Well maybe NOT!!!!

Thanks for starting a second chapter, my eyeballs would bounce for an hour, after trying to load chapter 1.

Good luck buddy, you're going to have a nice boat.

PS.  New cover looked super!!

post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/03/17 22:12:16

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/03/18 22:57:33 (permalink)
    Got back to the boat this morning and hit that floor.  And... DONE!  

Left a strip of floor in the rear because the... vent dealy there is rivited through the floor.  And also because it isn't like we'll be putting any weight there, and those two pieces of floor aren't soggy.  

Might have to cut a bit more of the front floor back to hit that brace better.  

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/03/18 23:09:27 (permalink)
    Tomorrow's task list:

- sweep out all of the BS from the floor removal
    - put the gas tank back (just hucking it in there, waiting for new braces before installing it)
    - measure for new floor boards and make diagrams

Probably take Sunday off.  Ordered a bunch of stuff for the boat, should be like boat-y christmas next week.  Short list:

- stainless 6" cleats x3
    - stainless rod holder trees x2 (http://www.greatlakesplaners.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=GLP-013)
    - bert's 6" track x3
    - new handle for winch
    - fuel/water separator for merc engines (props to btdt for that suggestion)
    - dc quick disconnect plugs x4 (http://www.solarcapitalist.com/sae2pin-power-side-connector-12awg-lead-pigtails.aspx)

Oh, I also got a new MATCHING spare tire mounted instead of the BS tire that was on there.  Have to get that thing mounted.  Also replaced a bunch of those rusty bolts on the trailer but forgot to snap pics.  Will add those tomorrow.  

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/03/19 14:49:06 (permalink)
    Saturday work accomplished.  Couple of pics.  Conned the wife into the vaccuum work...

Gas tank back in place, ready for braces and re-attachment:

New bolts on the front of the trailer:

Took measurement for flooring.  Going to pick that up Thursday with a friend's truck.  Then we'll reattach the gas tank, test it, and rough in the floor.  Need to pick up seat bases before I can attach the floor anyway.  
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/03/21 15:42:03 (permalink)
    Got in a couple part orders.  First the fuel/water seperator... luckily BTDT said he'd come install this thing.  Since I have no idea what to do with it otherwise.  

Then my DC plugs.  4 battery side and 4 equipment side.  And they even threw in 8 pieces of shrink tubing for the install for free.  Which is pretty fantastic.

Those connectors are from these guys:  http://www.solarcapitalist.com/  I usually order everything from Amazon, but occasionally a small merchant has just what you need.  Figure they are worth a mention.  I plan to use the 4 equipment leads for my bait jaccuzzi, two on DIY green fishing lights, and one on a bubbler pump to use on a minnow bucket.  Will supply pics of that when I get them wired up.

Off to pick up a present for myself... but that's a secret!  BTDT - what day is good for you?  And you'll have lunch, right?  :D

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/03/22 14:46:41 (permalink)
    Got the rest of the stuff in today.  Well, minus the trees, but that guy literally goes and welds them up after you order.  So I guess a few extra days is appropriate.  These are the tracks w/mounting gear, the new cleats and the replacement winch handle.  I'll miss the duct tape handle I'm replacing though...

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/03/22 15:38:11 (permalink)
    Hey Zelie, I'll be happy to help ya out, I need to learn how to install those things so I can get one for my boat.  I'm open the second Tuesday of next week.  

All kidding aside, things are coming together nicely, so you'll be finished for the picnic and crappie tournament I told everybody you are hosting at Arthur.   I mean, even if you are not finished with your project boat, the pontoon can haul like 10-12 guys ....... right???

It's gonna be a good times at Sam's in May!!!!!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/03/22 16:09:42 (permalink)
    You mean the pontoon that I sold last week?  New owner might take you guys... 

Once I get the floor started on Thursday I'll be close enough to feel the lake.  Got to pick up some seats and some wiring parts and then we'll see how long until she floats again.  In the meanwhile, I'll keep an eye open for invites to fish Shenango.  :)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/03/22 17:06:20 (permalink)

you did what ??  

Anyway I saw where ya sold the pontoon ...............out from under me       Congratulations.

As soon as the docks are in and the wind don't blow on Shenango, we shall go.  Ain't I clever? 
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2016/03/22 17:09:36

Kxp
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/03/22 21:41:28 (permalink)
    I will be looking forward to this resto I just picked up a 88 gls195 definitely will help me.
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/03/25 21:29:37 (permalink)
    Hmm.  Looks like I missed an update.  Judging by the view count there are still some people interested, so I'll keep after it until everyone gives up and goes fishing.  Yesterday my buddy met me with his pickup and we went to Evans City to get two sheets of marine plywood.  They are $50 a piece, so what's that saying?  Measure 50 times, cut once?  While we were getting them I remembered that I own a fricking 6x12 trailer, and could have gotten those sheets myself.  DOH!  Seriously, what a tard.  I never remember the thing since I "store" it at my buddy's house.  He uses it a lot more than I do.  Anyway...

Dropped off the boards and did a few misc jobs.  

- installed the front 6" track for  a front rod holder **
    - removed the old cleat and installed the new one
    - reinstalled the gas tank in the floor, which involved getting the fuel filler hose back on  ***
    - removed the last bit of carpet from the front floor
    - picked out a spot for the fuel/water filter deal (I need to make a bracket to mount it)
    - re-mounted the full size/proper spare tire

** the Bert's tracks are sweet, and they come with stainless mounting hardware.  HOWEVER... the nylock nuts that came with it were so tight they broke the ****ed bolts off.  Not cool at all.  Reworked with 1/4" stainless nuts and lock washers we had on hand, after spending a lot of time breaking several bolts.  
    *** getting that fuel filler hose on the tank was nightmarish.  Until my dad told us to just lube up the tank neck a bit and it went right on.  I knew we invited him for a reason!

I didn't take any pics of that work, I'll grab them next trip.  Today we went to Cabelas and picked up a ton of stuff (seats and bases on sale) for the boat.  Good times!  Much more fun buying stuff than installing it.  I also got my swing arm kits in the mail (see pictures below).  One for each trailer.  I may or my not take a bunch of pictures of that process, since it isn't super exciting.  I still haven't found a 24" piece of 3x3 square pipe to do the hinge job on the big boat.  Anyone have a good source for that?  I think there's a place in PGH that will sell me 3x3 galvanized pipe, but I don't know the minimum.  Have to call them.

Oh, and I need to get the tank braces that my friend fabbed for me bent.  And none of my people has a brake that will bend thick aluminum.  I got a few leads from Facebook people, have to call those shops also.

Happy Easter to all.  

The kit came with a T55 torx bit and a properly sized center punch for the holes.  Not sure how I'm drilling 4 holes upside down in the trailer without getting metal shards all through my hands and eyes, but it is certainly a goal of mine.  
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/03/25 22:26:15 (permalink)
    That looks like a bag of stuff that came with my new garage door.  Hope I won't need that same kit after I back my boat into it's new birth in the garage.  I'm pretty sure everything will fit and I can get the new door down.

Lookin good Sam.

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/03/27 00:01:51 (permalink)
    Big boat suffered today due to the little boat.  Here are the seats and bases we picked out:

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/04/28 16:48:11 (permalink)
    Almost a month gone by, and you probably think: "He must have given up."  But wait!  Despite an indecent 47 degree rainy BS day, we now have... FLOOR!

Next steps:
    - reconnect and test gas tank gauge
    - place the seats and mount them to the floor boards
    - secure the tank cross braces and hold down brackets

Then I can fasten the floor down, and look for someone to spray in a floor for me.  After that, all that's left is the re-wire and a few odds and ends.  Can't wait to get the seats in.

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/05/14 14:38:31 (permalink)
    Laid out the seats today, and ran into a bit of a snag.  These seat bases are the bell type with 6 bolt holes.  Bolting those bases to 1/2" plywood won't be strong enough for my walrus frame, so we spent some time thinking of what to do about that.  Best I can come up with is to bottom plate them with aluminum or steel plate.  Which I can come up with fairly easily I guess.  One of the seats straddles the floor strut, so I'll have to make a two piece situation.  And then just 9" x 10" plates for the other two.  And I need to source 18 bolts and associated hardware (some of that I have).  That should cost me a week or so to get prepped.  

The good news is that the seat layout was roomy and comfortable.  Should fish very well.  I had both big guys that I fish with down there to sit in the boat all at once before we marked the floor.  Also finished the hinge kit and new tongue piece, including safety chains.  So that's ready to go also.  

No pics, I forgot to take them.  So I owe a few pics next trip down.  Hoping to have the braces and bottom plates ready to install so I can sew up the floor stage and start thinking about getting it lined.  At least I didn't miss out on a fishing day... monsoon winds here in Zelie along with rain and a crazy wind chill.  Yuck.

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/05/24 23:12:12 (permalink)
    Okay campers... we have seat bases!  Back plated all three and got them in the boat.  Missing 4 lag screws that will go directly into the floor supports when we're ready to put the floor in permanently.  Which should be very soon.  Got some pics.  Starting with the money shot.

Picture a cooler seat in the right rear.  The left rear (fishing seat) is out a bit from the rail so the person in it (me!) can swivel and still have knee clearance.  If you look closely for the red lines you can see where the bases cross the 3" wide deck braces.  The two driver side bases have height adjustments, but the passenger doesn't.  These three bases were in the Cabela's super bargain cave, so I took what I could get.  
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/05/24 23:26:21 (permalink)
    Here are the plates my dad cut from scrap 1/8 steel

Here are the plates installed

Driver seat ^ 

Passenger seat ^

Rear driver seat.  This one straddles the floor brace.  Note that I left gaps so that the steel doesn't touch the aluminum floor brace.  Something about disparate metals corroding.  I'm no metallurgist, but I figured it can't hurt to be safe.  

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/05/24 23:33:39 (permalink)
    Here's a sideview showing where the seat base hits the floor brace.  

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/05/26 21:57:10 (permalink)
    Getting closer to the water!  Got the trees installed today.  Pics below.  Also verified the wiring to the gas tank/gas gauge, and verified the patch on the main leads to the engine (which we cut bad spots out of and repaired).  Pulled the old livewell pump which was shot anyway, to be replaced by the raw water washdown pump I have.  Need some fittings for that.  Pulled the old livewell drain also.  Need to get a plug kit for the hole that's there now.  Lots of room in the back sump/battery area.  Ready for new stuff.  Last thing was to cut a couple small patch boards for the floor from the scrap marine plywood.  

Both trees, rear view ^ 

Both trees, front quarter view ^

Closeup driver side tree showing the Bert's 6" track installed.  Those are back plated with steel plates under the cap rail with a piece of 1/8 rubber between the steel and aluminum.  Bit of extra effort but we could tow a skiier from those bad boys and not sweat them tearing out.  

I'm probably three sessions from sewing this build up.  Next trip is the final braces for the gas tank and then tacking down the floor permanently.  Once I do that I'll pop the seats on and take a couple full body money shots.  

Oh, worth noting... the tard who mounted my engine didn't use stainless bolts.  So the lower pair of bolts (there are only 4 holding the whole deal to the transom) are rusted to all hell.  Yay, more bolt replacements.  Because THOSE will come right out, right?  NOT.  Still though, might as well get as much right as I can.  

Second "oh"... I ordered a pin base and a 15" extension for the front fishing chair.  I'm short a seat, so there's another $100 bill to Cabelas, but the matching seats will look super nice.  That should be a quick install, 6 lags into the wooden deal in the front floor.  

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/05/29 23:56:53 (permalink)
    So about this: "That should be a quick install, 6 lags into the wooden deal in the front floor."

Yeah, never say stuff like that.  Because no, no it wasn't.  The seat baseplate has a 2.75" sort of cone of metal that attaches the post to the plate.  So to make it flush I had to take a gigantic drill bit from a lathe and then hand cut the board with it.  So now the baseplate fits flush, but two of the holes are nearly at the edge of the board.  And two other of those holes will need drilled down through some half-engineered aluminum brace the board sits on in the boat.  And the kicker... that 15" post is too long.  Had my wife sit on it to test and her toes barely touched.  So either I replace the pole, or replace the seat base I have that is a good 3" thick.  SIGH.  Really hoped this one was a gimme.  

Got the 4 braces that held the gas tank from jumping up riveted back in.  So I'm ready to tack the floor down.  Just need to pick up 4 bolts for the seat bases and then get er done.  Next session for sure.  
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/05/30 00:03:35 (permalink)
    There are two holes in my transom right now.  One I need to plumb to the new washdown pump.  but the other I'm thinking of one of these kits and lights:

http://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-Stainless-Steel-Garboard-Drain/dp/B00EUWIHF4/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1464567032&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=bronze+Garboard+Drain+Plug+Kit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREEN-LED-BOAT-DRAIN-PLUG-LIGHT-20-WATTS-900-LUMENS-LED-LIGHT-GARBOARD-LED/251504829533?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131003132420%26meid%3Dfaddef4016c642e5ab591c28d71e102a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D251504826908  

If those links don't work, the kit is a "Stainless Steel Garboard Drain Plug Kit" and the light is a "Green LED drain plug light."  This would give me a nice underwater light in the rear of the boat without having to deal with a submersible.  Pretty nice!  They run $60 or so for good LEDs, but the decent hanging lights are half that to start.  And I'm over the whole DIY deal, I just want to fish at this point.  

Anyway, should have those glory shots evening Tuesday.  

XtopwaterkingX
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/05/30 12:10:12 (permalink)
    I dig that LED drain plug light, probably be good for night fishing and looks pretty cool in the prop wash and wake too haha
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/06/23 21:52:39 (permalink)
    So if you are totally over this whole rebuild... so am I.  I really should have just gotten a job at Burger King and bought a finished boat instead of pretending I'm a rehab guy.  Cause I aint.  Anyway, it is a lot closer now than then, but still not done.  Spent last weekend in Franklin PA at a Tohatsu engine guy that BTDT hooked me up with.  The guy is a crazy old coot and his cussing shames mine, (both are awesome by the way) but man he knows his engines.  We got the kicker and controls hooked up nicely.  

Also, he "bullied" me into pulling the lower to check the impeller.  And no shock, he was right.  The thing was dog chewed.  Would certainly have ruined my engine in a year or two and the replacement job was crazy cheap.  Richie's Tohatsu.  Get there, and be glad you did.  

Only thing we didn't get done is the connecting rod for the steering.  Richie makes them, but I'd have to get up there again with the boat and I'm not sure when that's happening in the near future.  My dad and I will likely rig something up.  

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/06/23 21:54:34 (permalink)
    If you look closely in that second picture above you can see the new garboard drain installed.  The hole to the left is for the raw water washdown pump.  Which I'll install right after I get the floor sealed.  Which I'll do... ?  Yeah.  FML.  Some day this will be a killer rig.  Promise.  

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/06/24 06:30:54 (permalink)
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/08/06 19:05:18 (permalink)
    Hey there.  Anyone remember this stupid guy and his stupid boat project?  yeah, I'm still at it.  And no, I haven't splashed this fricking boat yet this year.  But I'm going to.  I swear I'm going to.  Soon.  

Anyway, how about some actual FLOOR UPDATE PICS!  

If you look in the upper right in this pic ^ you can see the kicker controls mounted.  Should work good there.  

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/08/06 19:23:54 (permalink)
    That was one gallon of durabak liner, minus the not-insignificant amount that I stir_exploded onto my shoe.  SIGH.  I got two gallons of it, so I figure we'll put one or tow more coats on.  Hard to see that color in the pics, but it is light gray.  Considered dark gray but I didn't want the extra heat from the dark surface.  

Also got a few misc things done:  

- opened the last transom hole a bit and installed a new pvc bulkhead (this is plugged for now but will feed the RWW pump)
    - drilled the transom for two bolts on the kicker, installed bolts
    - fixed the transom saver for the kicker
    - painted the tongue with some rustoleum

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/08/07 14:39:05 (permalink)
    Pics of the floor after the third/final coat:

It came out nice.  Haven't been in it yet today, still has a strong chemical smell and is curing in the sun.  But I'm pretty happy with the outcome.  

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Boat rebuild - Sea Nymph 19FS - PART 2 2016/08/07 14:41:51 (permalink)
    A few extra pics.  First one is the tiebar my dad made.  This bar needs the big motor to be in the water.  I have another one that is bent for use with the big motor up.  Not sure which I'll use... need to test run them.  

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: