what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Slate_Drake_9
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 113
  • Reward points: 0
RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/26 13:30:16 (permalink)
Would it be good to hit people that get too close on the stream?

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2987
RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/26 19:42:25 (permalink)
8 foot 4 weight.
If its versatility that you want.

Gone Fishing
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/28 10:22:08 (permalink)
oh well, seeing is believing. i casted a winston ascent rod for the first time this summer at an orvis fly shop. i watched the loop and it was much tighter than with my med-fast to med rods with less effort. not that i care for a fast rod. i was casting a small fly. heck, what do i know? i just fish and fish and have my own technique.
i could picture all the fly rod companies orvis,winston,sage, in the world getting together in a room and telling each other, "let's get everybody believing fatser rods create tighter loops"  thanks slate drake for informing me other wise. seeing is still believeing for me though ~dt
post edited by doubletaper - 2007/11/28 10:55:29

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

Slate_Drake_9
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 113
RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/28 19:24:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: doubletaper

oh well, seeing is believing. i casted a winston ascent rod for the first time this summer at an orvis fly shop. i watched the loop and it was much tighter than with my med-fast to med rods with less effort. not that i care for a fast rod. i was casting a small fly. heck, what do i know? i just fish and fish and have my own technique.
i could picture all the fly rod companies orvis,winston,sage, in the world getting together in a room and telling each other, "let's get everybody believing fatser rods create tighter loops"  thanks slate drake for informing me other wise. seeing is still believeing for me though ~dt

Well Doubletaper, I'm not attempting to be rude but I am sure this will come across so, but here goes.

If you learn how to cast your medium fast flyrod, you will be able to cast just as tight a loop as the fastest rod on Earth.  If you don't believe me, which you don't and that's okay, find a professional flycaster or FFF certified casting instructor and ask them for a demonstration.  They will be able to show you what I am talking about.

No I don't believe that the major manufactures got together on this one, but it is how they all market their products.  If they didn't come up with an angle to market these rods as being better at something (anything) than the rods we all already had, how would they sell them to us?  This is how companies get consumers to buy "new" and "improved" products to replace the products that they have that are already great at what they do.  These buzz words and ideas are how these companies get us to part with our hard earned dollars on stuff to replace stuff we already have that does the job.

Not long ago (and sometimes still) the big thing was lighter and lighter flyrods.  I guess this is still a buzz word idea in this sport.  But really, who can really tell, even after casting for 12 hours a day, the difference between a 2 and 1/2 ounce rod and a 2 and 3/8 ounce rod?  1/8 of an ounce is usually the difference in "light" and "heavy" rods these days.  We're not talking about the difference between a 6 and 1/2 ounce cane rod and a 1 ounce graphite rod here.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
doubletaper
Pro Angler
RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/28 23:55:44 (permalink)
slatedrake9, i don't believe you're being rude. you truthfully believe what you are saying and i believe what i am saying. you got more money in all the rods you have than i'll most likely ever have in my collection. something drove you to buy so many rods if it wasn't the lure of the advertizing what was it then?? it had to start somewhere.
if you read what i wrote earlier " once you know your rod there's many differtent ways to cast and use it to get the fly where you want it.." you will see i didn't say fly guys couldn't throw tight loops with out practice. this whole forum started with a new comer wanting to get a new rod etc. i would rather him have a heavier wt., as you might put it, than an underweighted rod, as i put it, in case he comes across a "trophy" (i understand trophy fish are of different sizes to different people, so i don't need to know how big a trophy is)
i caught a 22"+ rainbow in the little sandy creek. i'm glad i had my 5wt. at the time since i was still learning. recently i
caught a 19" female brook trout in another small stream, the east branch of millstone, who would of thought? i'm not saying i wouldn't of got her landed with a 3wt. but i'm glad i had my 5wt.
if transam has enough money to take lessons from a fff certified casting and fishing instructor i'm sure he wouldn't be on here asking for advice!
i also seen casting that faster rod did make a tighter loop without the much needed practice i have had with my med-fast scott rod.
maybe we should all get a 3wt. rod and tackle the steelhead in under 2 minutes, i'm sure with a lot of practice and casting and fishing instructors we can all land them, even the newbee's. wouldn't all the fly rod companies be upset with us?

it's not luck
if success is consistent 

TransAmWS6
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 645
RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/29 17:44:35 (permalink)
i wanna learn flyfishing all on my own, its more of an accomplishment then, just looking for a little advice on these boards.  if i wanted i could buy 20 different outfits, but that is dumb.  i think im gonna go with a 4 weight 8'6" rod.  Are fast rods better for newbs?
doubletaper
Pro Angler
RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/29 21:21:41 (permalink)
your best bet is to ask someone to cast different rods or go to a fly shop and try a few. i would say a fast rod is not the best choice because i believe most people getting started have a slower casting stroke. if you cast the 8wt. overhand well i would stick with the same action. i found, my expierience, that a medium rod does not cast weighted buggers as well as a med-fast overhand. i can feel the rod load better with a softer rod but i would stick with a med-fast and get used to that. i also find a med-fast roll casts better and it might be easier to get used to. not all brands classify their fast rods, lets say, as another brand. the wt. of a rod is pretty much standard but action isn't always. i do hope you find the right set up on your fist try. you are as eager as my son was when he got into fly fishing. ~dt

it's not luck
if success is consistent 

dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2987
RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/30 05:55:34 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: TransAmWS6

i wanna learn flyfishing all on my own, its more of an accomplishment then, just looking for a little advice on these boards.  if i wanted i could buy 20 different outfits, but that is dumb.  i think im gonna go with a 4 weight 8'6" rod.  Are fast rods better for newbs?

Depends who's fast rod you're casting. and usually not  if you're roll casting a lot.
Try medium fast. You should be ok with 8'6'' but an 8 footer would fit some of the smaller streams better.
Good Luck

Gone Fishing
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: