what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
TransAmWS6
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 645
  • Reward points: 0
2007/11/19 20:04:57 (permalink)

what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie?

what do you most of you guys use? i only have an 8wt which seems too bulky.  im thinking about a 4 or 5wt.  what do you think?

37 Replies Related Threads

PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/19 21:22:19 (permalink)
    I have a 5 wt. and a 4wt. The 4wt. is a 7'6"  for small streams. They are both very lite with good action and sensativity.

ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/19 21:25:12 (permalink)
    A five weight is more versatile for fishing a little bit of everything so that's what I would go with.
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/19 23:23:25 (permalink)
    a 4 wt would do you for almost everything you can get into int PA.  a 5 wt would let you fish bigger water better and also smallies.  but then a fish a 5 wt about 80% of the time for trout.  the rest of the time i use a 3 wt.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/20 09:44:29 (permalink)
    5WT, 8'6". THIS IS A GOOD ROD FOR TROUT STREAMS IN P.A. not too long to walk a stream and get caught in overhangs and strong enough to slow down bigger trout and smallies. with wt.forward line you can get more distance and a dt. line you can roll cast short in smaller streams. than i agree for smaller streams and natives, there's nothing like a short 4wt or 3wt. ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/20 17:58:49 (permalink)
    TransAm
         Personally, I like a 9' 5wt for everything except creeks like spring creek.  The reason I like the 9' is it is easier to reach back under the laurel on some Central PA streams.  There have been times when I had a 9' rod with only about 5' of line and a nymph or muddler on.  I also have a 8'6" 5 wt. and a 7' 4wt.  Never have gone much smaller unless I'm just playing with some bamboo.  My recommendation:  8.5' or 9' 5 wt. for general use, 7' 4wt for very small, open streams.  Boy you have really caught the fly fishing "bug" haven't you?  Good luck and tight lines.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/20 19:24:20 (permalink)
    I would say a 8.6 foot 5 wt. Small enough to not snag on everything in tight spots and big enough if you tie into Bubba.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/20 21:14:10 (permalink)
    It depends on a lot, first and foremost for me is the size of the fish I'm expecting to catch and then the size of the stream.  Also have to take into account water conditions and sometimes the types of flies you will be fishing(but not really if you can cast well).  For me there is no one good length and weight for a rod, but a slow action is the best for most conditions I encounter across the state.

For brookies I have a 00 weight bamboo rod.  From there I range up to a pair of 1 weights in different lengths, a few 2 weights in different lengths, a few 3 weights in different lengths, a few 4 weights in different lengths, a few 5 weights in different lenghts, a few 6 weights in different lengths and an 8 weight for steelhead, salmon and blues.

I most commonly use a slow action 1 weight followed by a slow 3 weight for "heavy" stuff.

Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Slate Drake
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/20 21:15:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

TransAm
        Personally, I like a 9' 5wt for everything except creeks like spring creek.  The reason I like the 9' is it is easier to reach back under the laurel on some Central PA streams.  There have been times when I had a 9' rod with only about 5' of line and a nymph or muddler on.  I also have a 8'6" 5 wt. and a 7' 4wt.  Never have gone much smaller unless I'm just playing with some bamboo.  My recommendation:  8.5' or 9' 5 wt. for general use, 7' 4wt for very small, open streams.  Boy you have really caught the fly fishing "bug" haven't you?  Good luck and tight lines.

ya you aint kidding, so much to learn, so little time.  i love it.
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/20 22:21:28 (permalink)
    I went with a St Croix Avid Series 9 foot 7 weight and I've used it on the Yough for smallmouth, carp, shad, walleye and sauger.  I used it for Trout on Laurel, Indian, Big Sewickley, Peters and the crick that flows through Mingo Park.  Since it was my first good flyrod I can't say much more than I really love it.  I want to get a 3, 4 or 5 wieght just to experience the difference.  I think the next rod I buy is gonna be a 3 Wieght.  If I was trying to stay on a budget I would look at the Shakespeare 8½ foot 6/7 weight rod http://www.fishusa.com/Shakespeare-Ugly-Stik-Lite-67-wt-Fly-Rod-FY1185-67_p.html?i=FD9B9AA91E3E41BD95943202084DF373.  When spinning and slingin bait I was always happy with Shakepseare so I figured their flypole would almost have to be decent.  Spend the extra money on a good real.
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/20 22:26:48 (permalink)
    TransAm,

Believe me, eventually you'll have every weight rod for most, every occasion!

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/20 22:33:37 (permalink)
    Smallhook,

I really like the quality performance and valued price of the St. Croix Avid Series.  My favorite steelhead rod is my 7WT Avid.  I also own a 3WT, 4WT, and a 10WT Avid.  Made in USA, which is a bonus.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/21 10:29:04 (permalink)
    don't get too anxious about getting less than a 4wt. rod unless you plan on fishing for small native brook trout. i see no need to fight a good size fish 'till it's about belly up and played out from using an underwt. rod for medium size fish.. 
     sure it's a great feel fighting them with a extra light rod but i've read in the long fights it really exhausts the fish. i'de rather fish my old short shakespear fibreglass 5wt. rod. wow you talk about feeling the fish fight and smooth casts. just my observent opinion. ~dt

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/21 13:59:14 (permalink)
    tom.  tell Santa to bring you one of each.  i have a 9, 8, 6-7, 6, 5-6, and a 4 weight.

that covers everything from steelhead, to smallies, and the trout at peter's.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/21 15:22:25 (permalink)
    TRANSAM, i ride a harley and wanted a 5pc fly rod and wasn't sure if i wanted a 4wt. or 5wt.but wanted to stay with a 8'6" for all around. i ended up buying a 4wt-5wt riffle stream rod from the kettle creek fly shop earlier this year. i think i paid about $260.00. best choice i've made since my scott rod. sweet light rod and smooth casting. tried both 4wt. dt. & wtforw & 5wt. dt.& wtforw. lines. both work great. i carry 1 battenkill reel and 1 spool of 4wt. and 1 spool of 5wt. just something to think about. fish for trout and smallmouth, handles all big or small... ~dt

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/21 19:17:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: doubletaper

don't get too anxious about getting less than a 4wt. rod unless you plan on fishing for small native brook trout. i see no need to fight a good size fish 'till it's about belly up and played out from using an underwt. rod for medium size fish.. 
    sure it's a great feel fighting them with a extra light rod but i've read in the long fights it really exhausts the fish. i'de rather fish my old short shakespear fibreglass 5wt. rod. wow you talk about feeling the fish fight and smooth casts. just my observent opinion. ~dt

I gotta disagree with you on this one.  A rod lighter than a 4 weight doesn't mean you can't quickly land a large fish.  I have landed plenty of trout over 5 pounds on my one weights in under a minute, most under 45 seconds I would say.  They have all swam away strongly.  The largest non lake run brown I have landed (28.5 inches) was landed on a 3 weight with 7x in under 2 minutes.  He swam away very strongly too. 

It's not about rod weight when it comes to landing fish, it's about technique and the ability to fight fish.  If you don't know how to do it, you won't be able to do it.  In the hands of someone without the skills necessary, a large trout will take just as much time to land on a 6 wieght as it will on a 2 weight.

Slate Drake
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/21 19:40:56 (permalink)
    I throw a 8'6" 5 wt. for larger streams.  A 7'6" 4 wt. for smaller ones.  I'd take the 5 if I only had one to choose.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/21 22:36:50 (permalink)
    slatedrake9, interesting to hear such acclomplishments. only on a forum such as this are we informed otherwise. 28.5" in under 2min. 7x. also i would assume you're an expienced fly guy with the neccisary skills. great job.

slatedrake, transam is just starting out fly fishing. i'm pretty sure he has trout fished before with spin rod and reel but would like to take up the art of fly fishing for trout. he's looking for an ALL AROUND, FIRST fly rod that will handle a lot of situations, trout size and so on. i feel we shouldn't confuse him with all the rods out there for so many conditions. he's a beginner fly rodder. a 5wt. by far for ALL conditions, water clarity, river or small crick, i feel, as i have read elsewhere and also most of the fly guys on this site, which i do not no any of them, seam to recommend a 5wt. rod. most i see also say a 8.6" for P.A. streams. even today, which i have a few other rods also, if i had to pick only one rod for allllll conditions, no matter water color, stream width, deep or shallow, i would still go with my scott, 8'6" 5wt. fly rod. some might disagree that i would choose a dt5f, fly line, but as you have said, put in the hands of a skilled caster, i can accomplish many situations.

thanks for letting me know how a 00 weight rod fares, i'll never care to own one though.   ~ dt

i wouldn't send a first time rabbit hunter out with a 410. or a first time squirrely hunter with a 10gauge 3" mag. shot gun. they'll both do the job but.....

if i sound grumpy it's because i woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morn. and fell out the window!!!

it's not luck
    if success is constant

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/22 17:29:34 (permalink)
    I'm not looking for an argument nor am I looking to confuse anyone here.  I'm simply saying that the conventional wisdom that you shared is not always the case.  I wasn't intending my experiences as good advise to a beginner, just presenting another view so they are not stuck with the same info that they get anywhere. 

That said, I picked up my first fly rod about 23 years ago and never turned back.  I started with an 8 weight fiberglass rod outfit that cost about 25 bucks for rod, line and reel.  I had years and years of fun with it and learned a ton with it.  Through experience I learned that I enjoyed fishing with lighter rods, especially for smallish fish (read most of the stocked trout we have in PA).  The folks I have taken the time to teach how to flyfish have all been very happy with "light" flyrods versus "heavy" flyrods.  The frustration I have observed from many newbies has been from too heavy of a rod for the situations they encounter. 

Lets be realistic for a minute.  The average fish we hook into may be 11 inches on a good day in a stream that is probably at most 35-40 feet across in the wide spots.  We don't need a heavy rod for such fishing to battle these monsters and definately don't need a rod that we can easily cast 70 feet into the wind.  What a newbie may encounter with an outfit too heavy will be pulling the fish out of the water on the hookset or just plain old breaking them off on the hookset.  The ones that don't get flung or broke off will not be much fun pulling in.  Ever catch a baby bass while fishing a heavy rod for the big guys?  Not much fun.  Not much fun for most folks starting out will equal finding something that is more fun.  Great for me because the more folks who quit means the less crowded the streams are, but this doesn't help the poor folks who are missing out on a great pass time.

So for giving advise, the best I can say follows:

If you are a newbie starting the journey of a flyfisher, find someone who has experience and a bunch of different types of rods.  Get them to let you fish with as many as you please so you can compare the pros and cons of each rod/line combo until you find what you like best for the conditions you will fish in the most.  It's great to have a rod that will do "everything," but if your typical fishing (what you will do the most) is better with one rod over another, get that one.  You will expand your collection over time if you keep at it, but in the mean time you will be best prepared for what you do the most. 

Sorry for being so long winded, Thanksgiving football games that don't involve the Steelers are less than interesting to me.

Slate Drake
    TransAmWS6
    Expert Angler
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/22 21:33:56 (permalink)
    i already have an 8wt that ive used up erie but just wanted something less bulky but still cheap for the small stocked streams in pa
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/22 22:55:53 (permalink)
    A three weight or below is not going to fish medium to large flies very well and that's why a five weight is beneficial because it will fish small, medium and some larger flies just fine. At the same time it's not overkill on your traditional trout streams.

For this area of the state, if you don't have the money to spend on nine different rods, I think an eight weight and a five weight are the two perfect rods to own. An eight weight for Erie steel also doubles as a big bass bug or northern rod and the five weight for just about every other application, including all trout.

Each rod weight has it's place but as I said before, a five weight is the most versatile.
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/22 23:20:32 (permalink)
    Well, looks like I NEED a 3 weight now.  Some of you guys have just a few too many rods but its good to have the feedback.  I bought the 7 weight so I could use it on the Yough for Bass and Steelhead in Erie.  I would like to spend a little more time on the Sewickley, Jacobs, Indian and Laurel Creeks this year and I'm thinkin my 7 is a little to much for those cricks.  I like the longer rods but I'll probably get an 8 footer or even a 7½.  Will that extra half a foot really effect how softly you can lay a line on the water?
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/22 23:47:09 (permalink)
    It depends on what size flies you plan on throwing. If you plan on throwing some bigger streamers or bass bugs then your seven weight will be perfect.

Also, I don't know how much a difference it will be in laying line out with a shorter rod (how softly our line lays out has more to do with your forward cast) but I know it won't be good for mending line and getting good drifts. I'd stick with 8'6" or above unless you're fishing tight, tight quarters.
    post edited by ronnie84 - 2007/11/22 23:51:02
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/23 00:09:49 (permalink)
    I realy want to throw dry flys, nymphs and midges.  I've been on most of the water before but always with spinning gear.  Most of the places are real tight as far as brush along the streams and it took me a long time to learn how to shoot those little joe flies under the overhanging brush.  It should be real fun learning how to do that with a flyrod.  One spot in particular is where the Laurel runs through the Boyscout camp in Bakersville.  I used to spend an entire week camping there every summer so I fished that strech alot.  I've always wanted to throw dries in that section and this year I'm gonna.
    Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/23 15:21:21 (permalink)
    Smallhook,

For the streams you are naming, 7' would be fine.  I use to live not far from Jacob's Creek and fished it a lot.  I also fished the other streams you named very often and never found a long (8' plus) rod necessary and in most cases, it would have been even more difficult with a longer one.

Overall, if you learn how to fish with the selected rod length and weight you get, you'll be able to fish how you want without much problem.  A 3 weight will throw every fly that you would consider using on those streams (probably almost all streams in the state).  The lighter rod will help the smaller fish feel a little bigger and will help you with a more delicate presentation that will be needed for normal flows in your home streams.

Slatedrake

Slate Drake
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/24 08:07:57 (permalink)
    a faster rod gives you tighter loops so you're less likely to get hung up if you're casting under branches and such. also with a faster rod i've found you don't have to move you're rod all the way back to the 2-3:00 position and still get a good forward cast. this means you're chances of hooking onto brush behind you is less. as far as laying out a softer approach on the water, like roonie says it has to do with your forward cast and taper of your fly line. what ever you buy, practice with it and try side arm casting also. that's what i do to get under overhangs. i think slate_drake would agree, once you know your rod there's many differtent ways to cast and use it to get the fly where you want it.. ~dt

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/24 13:46:05 (permalink)

ok fellas so how is the golf game?

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/25 09:23:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fishenfool46

ok fellas so how is the golf game?

I love golf.  It keeps people from fishing.

Slate Drake
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/25 15:27:53 (permalink)
    lol slate i have a nice putter for sale if anyone is interested 2 ball odessey white hot is like brand new. i love fishing

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    Slate_Drake_9
    Avid Angler
    RE: what size rod and reel for trout streams other than erie? 2007/11/26 13:29:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: doubletaper

a faster rod gives you tighter loops so you're less likely to get hung up if you're casting under branches and such.

Oh my, it looks like the advertising all the big rod companies put out there works.  The action of the rod does not dictate how tight your loops are, your casting abilities does.  What you said is what all of the rod companies who are making faster and faster rods wants us to believe.  They need us to believe this or else there would be no use in them making faster and faster rods.  We would not need to buy new rods if we believed that what we already have will work.  They are in the business of selling rods, specifically new rods.  They want to keep their designers working, so they need to come up with new products and convience us we need them because our old products will not do the same.

This same problem exists in the fly reel arena also.  The manufactures have convienced the masses that they need a reel with a disc drag system that can stop a running 40lb+ to land a 5 inch brookie or 11 inch brown.

Bottom line.  In an industry such as flyfishing, where the average person buying the products is a repeat customer and not a new one, there is not as much money in selling the same things year after year as there are in selling "new" products. 

Slate Drake
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: