Great video of guide snagging fish

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Great video of guide snagging fish 2010/10/14 21:05:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

ORIGINAL: metalslayer

My rod gets lower towards the end too---it keeps the drift going at the speed of the current---that tool had it layed out as soon as it hit the water---classic power sweep ;)

In between the BB posts which are intended for fun and games, a bit of serious discussion..

Honestly, I cant really see what advantage there is to this so-called "classic power sweep".

Now, if the hole was packed solid with fish and that fool (the reason I think he is a fool is because
he felt the need to film himself and put it on youzetube in the hopes of instant hero-ization) was rippin a fish out every cast I'd agree with you.

Actually, his drifts were so short he probably would not benefit by holding to rod up high tobegin with.
He should have moved dowstream a couple hundred yards - he'd be the norm -vs- the exception.

The way i see it,the only thing forcing a sweep is going to accomplish is getting snagged just above every drift... Not saying I'm right, but that's the main reason I would not even bother with it.

Once again - the biggest offenders of what you describe are the Oil Riggers at the NeedleEyes of the Ballpark. They got it down to a science and actually have a whole Nation of Followers....  !!!!

What's your member #?

gonna have to agree with you again drake... a rip usually results in a foul hooked fish or a snag or just a deterrent by spooking any fish from your water. you'd be surprised at what a fish's lateral line can sense... in all honesty, even when swinging flies with a sink tip or some bb shots, alot of the fish you get are getting lipped... is it intentional??? no; is it a bad thing??? i don't think so... if you are drifting a natural drag free presentation through a productive seem right in the depth of the fishes mouths opening and closing hoping they will bite.... what do you think will happen often??? take a wild guess... anyone who rips with the thoughts of catching more fish is dumb... they are more likely scaring more fish than they are hooking and mostly foul hooking...
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: Great video of guide snagging fish 2010/10/14 21:09:48 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dimebrite

gonna have to completely agree with both, sometimes even feed line out as i drop the rod tip at the end of the drigft... but when setting the hook drake while i swingeth the fly, i don't cross their eyes; just a tight lined lift towards the down stream bank so the hook drives rather than turn and pull away. when bobber fishing, i do more than cross their eyes, i make them flounder and almost belly up after setting the hook so hard...

absolutely,,,them 2x heavies don't plant themselves...

Never rolled a steelie on a hookup - YOU DA MAN !!! 

but I did rifle a small chub over my shoulder into the bushes once,,,,  
metalslayer
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: Great video of guide snagging fish 2010/10/14 21:26:17 (permalink)
Not so sure of the open/close myth---most of the time a fishes mouth is closed.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Great video of guide snagging fish 2010/10/14 21:41:00 (permalink)

gonna have to completely agree with both, sometimes even feed line out as i drop the rod tip at the end of the drigft... but when setting the hook drake while i swingeth the fly, i don't cross their eyes; just a tight lined lift towards the down stream bank so the hook drives rather than turn and pull away. when bobber fishing, i do more than cross their eyes, i make them flounder and almost belly up after setting the hook so hard...

when i bobber fish i use a wet noodle rather than a rod... so i can rear back pretty hard...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Great video of guide snagging fish 2010/10/14 21:43:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: metalslayer

Not so sure of the open/close myth---most of the time a fishes mouth is closed.

until they see my fly and then it's open...
waDerboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1910
RE: Great video of guide snagging fish 2010/10/15 04:27:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: waDerboy

Drake you know it is the sweep at the end of EVERY drift shown in the video that we are talking about.
You are not stupid enough not to know what that is about.

As for me most of the time I just have to tighten up a little since the current has pulled the hook into the inside of the near side mandible cartilage.

Use your GPS to find any credible source that says the 60s coho were planted for reasons other than alwive predation.

What's next?
Are you going to critique his "aggressive stripping" action with his hand?

Funny how the Salmon stockings never stopped (but increased dramatically) once the alewive dieoffs became history.....

You said started not continued.
No trying to change the question.
waDerboy
Pro Angler
RE: Great video of guide snagging fish 2010/10/15 04:55:30 (permalink)
The sweep downstream and away speeds the hook across the lie.
Notice it was at the same point (where the salmon were holding, it is where he eventually hooked up)in the drift.
A straight across from you vert rip brings the hook straight up and at you.
It results in mostly belly stabs and fin hookups while fish lined in the mouth are rare.
Keeping the rod low and ripping downstream and more towards the horizonal raises the hook several inches and speeds it across the fish holding slot resulting in a higher percentage of face plants.

Again it is not that the rod is kept low (while dropping the tip immediatly gives a hint) that is the problem but the rip at the end of every drift that is.

There is something in the regs about the repeated aggressive hook set being illegal. Its just to hard to prove in court for them to enforce.

dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: Great video of guide snagging fish 2010/10/15 05:28:39 (permalink)
i would dwell moreso on the rip than the tip drop. if you couple his whole set up and technique; then yes the droppping of rod tip is a bad thing, but there are plenty of times i drop the tip right off the bat to get a drag free drift...
waDerboy
Pro Angler
RE: Great video of guide snagging fish 2010/10/15 06:32:22 (permalink)
Me to but there is usually line mending at the same time.
The rip at the end OF EVERY DRIFT is exactly what I have been commenting on.
waDerboy
Pro Angler
RE: Great video of guide snagging fish 2010/10/15 07:07:07 (permalink)

That is exactly why I fish big hooks. If you line is under tension they are held in the corner of the mouth and a lttle tighten drives them home.
If they catch on body parts they don't dig in and generally slide back off. Sometimes when I feel a body bump I have to gently roll cast it off a fin.
waDerboy
Pro Angler
RE: Great video of guide snagging fish 2010/10/15 07:10:54 (permalink)
When bobber (slack to be taken up) or drift fishing (drift weight to be moved) it is no whimpy hooksets allowed but it is up and over the shoulder not down and across.
waDerboy
Pro Angler
RE: Great video of guide snagging fish 2010/10/15 07:35:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: waDerboy

Who's arguing?
He knows he can't tweek me so we play.

True dat - after all, it's just interweb play. Some folks take this **** too seriously..

But the hypocritical Dudley Do-rights and wanna-be DEC tards deserve every ounce of abuse I can muster. 

btw my offer stands if you want to - first fullweek of Nov I be there.

I don't fish the DSR, so no need to worry about forking over 45 clams to Dougie...
Might even have a free bunk available at the clubhouse...
Hope you like beer - we drink a wee bit once the sun goes down. 

Hope to be up that first Mon in Nov.
We'll talk.
The sound of an AK rattling in the background won't keep me awake will it. At my advanced age I need my sleep or how can I get to dinner for tyhe 3pm early bird special?
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: Great video of guide snagging fish 2010/10/15 16:53:10 (permalink)
Besides an old 12 ga used to kill the mice, no guns at camp.

But there is always the chance of getting hit by an errant round from the folks in Little America a mile up the road.. :)

Don't fret on sleep loss, us old farts rarely stay awake to see the 11pm news...
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: