wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!!

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
  • Reward points: 0
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/23 22:17:31 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dimebrite

you are misunderstanding me. i do not sight fish, and i fish white water for salmon. and yes there are many little back eddies and deep pools in between the seems of white water that most eyes can not recognize. you are right, fish can be lined while fishing this water, but they can also strike. especially in the early season which is when i fish for salmon mostly. so i guess we are kinda on the same page and have just misunderstood eachother...

Yes, I did misunderstand you and for that I apologize.

When I read your first post about back eddies and slack water I envisioned a Diversion Channel Warrior a.k.a "Puckerbrush Creek Patriot"  LOL

What you are now describing is the "Hole Within a Hole" principle and it helps greatly to seek out spots that provide the least resistance to the fish that is fighting the curent.

When I read fast moving water I keep in mind that the surface action of the water is basically a reflection of the river bottom and structure it flows over.

Regardless, I still think I floss the Salmon I catch and not all the hooks are on the outside of the mouth.

It's still fishing, and sure beats a day of work.

draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/23 22:27:38 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: pafisher

Another question to ponder is if Salmon don't bite why are plugs being back trolled so successful?

Backtrolling plugs is an extremely effective method, and yes, Salmon smash the heck out of them.
But they hit out of aggression, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I've been on a guided trip where the guide backtrolled 4 rods to cover the water with plugs.
He used the analogy of repeatedly waving your hand in front of a dog's snout, sooner or later that pup will get pizzed off - then it's going to take a nip at your hand.

It's a lot of fun, just not my cup of tea. 

Different strokes for different folks.

cpswing
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/24 12:04:37 (permalink)
I feel its alot like hunting. Some prefer to run ang gun, and some will sit and wait. Some hunt from the trees, and some on the ground or in a blind. When you first start out your just trying whatever you can to catch something. You are eventually successful with certain techniques and thats what you stick with for awhile. Then it becomes not just about catching or killing. It slowly becomes about being out there and becoming successful at using different techniques that you read about on here or learn from others. Eventually you learn and mature and you fish the way the water and conditions dictate. This way when you make the 3-4 hour drive two or three times a year you have some success yet you still get to enjoy the experience and the sights you get to take in on the river. Especially when the sun first comes up and the fog is lifting off of the river and you realize that you are experiencing one of those pictures from Field and Stream or Outdoor Life magazine.

Just a Novice Salmon FIsherman's Thoughts

CP
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/24 18:16:01 (permalink)
Drake,you are just like a friend of mine who is a very experienced,excellent,flyfisher.Nothing will convince him that he is n't lining the Salmon,in fact he gave it up because he wants to feel he is catching them fairly.I know he's wrong but he's a big boy so he chases Stripers instead now.
I have been fishing up there for 30 yrs and have seen it all.In the beginning I was a snagger because that was the "way".After the first year my cousin joined us but said if I can't get them to hit then fine I won't catch any.After awhile I noticed he was into a fish so I wanted to see if he gave in and snagged it,no it was n't foul hooked and he said it "HIT"his Jensen egg.I watched him and before long he was into another,that's all I needed to see and I started "FISHING" for them and lo and behold had a hit and "FISH ON".From that point on I have not lifted/snagged/or flossed a fish intentionly,sure I foul hook some but with the numbers of fish it happens.After awhile I bought a suitable fly rig and thats the only way I fish there now.
But a little story about whether they will eat or not.Many years ago we were at Oswego by the dam fishing for Browns in early Nov. with light tippets and worms for bait.I was getting good hits and then I would set the hook and these "monster" Browns would take off and break my line.I set the drag lighter and when the next fish hit I played him until I could get a good look and it was a King Salmon,hook was way down and when he shook his head my light tippet snapped.We then went to heavier tippet and landed a couple of those fish and the hook was way in their mouths.If they don't eat I wonder why they were eating worms?
I know one thing for sure,it's too darn hot and September can't get here fast enough for me :)
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/24 18:36:14 (permalink)
PA, did you see my post. i'm definitely going to be up while you are there whether it's a weekday or weekend... we'll keep in touch as it approaches...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/24 18:38:33 (permalink)
And drake, you are definitely not lining all of your fish; but if you really think so, then try something different.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/24 23:53:43 (permalink)
dime,I figured you would be around and I'll be stopping by the construction site but won't have my tool belt,just a wading belt :)
draketrutta
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/25 22:03:20 (permalink)
Dime - I resolved myself to something different - a few Steelhead trips when I can get away midweek during the winter months.

Before that, I'll enjoy peaceful autumn days fishing small streams for trout. I'm 100% sure they are biters.

I've grown tired of the crowded circus atmosphere of the Salmon River to make it a regular destination, but I will probably make one Salmon trip to join a camp full of buddies during October Drunkfest weekend and together we will line the crap out of them mudsharks.... :)   
post edited by draketrutta - 2010/07/25 22:04:59
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/26 06:34:18 (permalink)
my passion is steelhead myself as you can see with my screen name... salmon are an early shot for me with a few early mornings or late afternoons in the peak season. i'm with you on the steelhead season...
3fan
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 668
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/26 19:11:14 (permalink)
What Im finding the last 3 to 4 years is the salmon season seems to go till april, was a time in early november a guy could go find a spot to fish himself, not any more steelhead season is the same as salmon, elbow to elbow and now with the latest "craze" spey rods and center pins you can have a guy 100 yards away float his bobber right in front of you. Or better yet the spey guys swinging their 14' rods with 75 yards of line up takeing a run up that could fish 10 guys comfortably but there will be 2 spey guys.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/27 15:28:51 (permalink)
you do have a point 3fan. there is plenty of overlooked open water though. i actually spey fish from time to time and as long as i'm surrounded by other knowledgeable anglers, i can fish spots with other guys in proximity of me. i do believe in the first come first serve rule also though. if i see a few guys fishing a spot, even if i can squeeze in, i don't and i expect the same. most of the time i go just down/up stream and across or even behind the other fisherman; 75 % of the time i will hook the fish that they have pushed away.
3fan
Expert Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/27 20:13:33 (permalink)
Oh I live by first come rights, when I fish during salmon season Im launching my boat at 3 am, 330 latest. When Im just wade fishing I still will get there 1 1/2 hours before light. As far as over looked open water Ive seen every inch to the black hole, when the game is on Ive even seen people fish from bridges. Not to many secret spots left, all your previous clients know your spots and so do mine and every other guide, now its just a foot race, or in some instances a boat race to get there first, and Ive been floating down 4am black as night and have some knuckel head guide ram and race me thru the wire hole. The fishing pressure is getting bigger but unfortunately the river is not. This is just the way I see it, some say its fine but they dont know how it used to be like I do,  before the internet when most thought it was over November 1st. ...... Good Times......
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/27 20:21:41 (permalink)
it's definitely exploited. there is no doubt about that
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/27 20:24:05 (permalink)
to be honest with you though, i pick and choose my times of execution pretty carefully sometimes and i can say i have hit many great days with few anglers in sight both salmon and steelies...
3fan
Expert Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/27 20:48:22 (permalink)
The "fish gods" were smileing on you those days, the only time I find the river empty are the holidays, and I dont get to sneek away many of those anymore. Some of the best steelie trips Ive had were Easter mornings, before I hid eggs. For the salmon I would say fish tuesday thru thursday, but its pretty busy those days now also. Ill get my fix early this season and get back to chaseing those Oneida lake walleye, then get back up for the fresh chrome.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/28 07:41:43 (permalink)
i don't float the river often so i don't experience the drift boat issue on the river. i just fish early for salmon, and i fish steelhead often. dec. through mid feb. i often find few anglers and sometimes solitude. this past april i fished for the 2.5 days only seeing 8 anglers total on the water i fished which was much less than the amount of fish i saw. weekdays definitely help as well...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/28 07:43:28 (permalink)
oh yeah, for holidays... my best steelhead trips were consecutive weekends in a row; the weekend before christmas, and the following week we left christmas night back in 91. banner days. holidays can be very special up there
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: