wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!!

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
  • Reward points: 0
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/08 20:31:04 (permalink)
HEY SALMO, IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A GREAT TWO HANDED FOR THE PRICE, CHECK OUT TEMPLE FORK. I RECOMEND NOTHING SMALLER THAN 11 FT.oops took off caps lock. you can buy them online for up 15 percent less and no sales tax when shipped from out of state. for methods when two handed fly casting, feel your way through it. dont listen to everything everyone says. i see guys who can cast beutifully, but cant present the fly right in the right spot.yes, you can swing big wet flies, but you can also high stick nymph incredibly with a long fly rod. i have an 11' 7 weight temple, a 13' 8/9 loomis and a 14'3'' 9 weight sage. all are great rods. personally i prefer an extra long double tapered hardy floating line. a lot of guys in my opinion get out of hand with the gazillion different lines that are out there. remember though, as soon as you roll that cast out immediatelymend that line upstream. its great to get those steelies that way. another plus is in the winter time you dont have to strip any line in most of the time. i fished this past january on days where the high was only 12 and wasnt even de-icing my guides. couple that with full fingered gloves doubled up, it becomes a steelheaders paradise. oh yeah, if you are interested in a season pass, call them after july 15, because if payments aren't recieved by then, they give it up to the next person. in my heart, the season pass is well worth it. i will never give it up...
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/09 02:17:37 (permalink)
Yeah- Thanks for the tips.
Silverman- That story was cool. Fish bum? Yeah- me too when I grow up (am 40).
My most memorable day up there was an afternoon all alone fishing a big fast pool stacked with a fresh pod of Kings. I landed 9 before I made my rod explode, but I was still all smiles. It was really cool to watch them swing over to smack my fly. I may never have a day like that again. Mostly they are so shell shocked a few swipes a day is good honest fishing.
last year I was into Salmon so thick I couldn't drift through them without a hook finding a mouth. That was fun for a few but not what I was into.
I almost landed my first Coho that day. Swung over at least 8 feet too chomp. The ones you never forget are those fish/days.

Lyrical
Over the Hill
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2382
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/09 12:05:14 (permalink)
That's all it takes is one day of fantastic fishing with the big critters to become addicted.

I had my share, and still do, of unproductive days on the river/lake... Then, every once in a while, you get a day that you can't do anything wrong.  
I still enjoyed my times fishing that weren't the best. Just glad to make it out and relax. But those hot days sure make good memories!

ABOUT 8 MORE WEEKS TIL SILVERTIME!

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/09 16:33:31 (permalink)
we're all counting overhill. it will be more like the 5 week range for me for kings.i'm actually going up this weekend again most likely. hey kype, is the grand in ohio? i have definitely read about it, and yes have heard about the posted land.
silverman31
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 62
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/09 21:12:21 (permalink)
That was one of the best seasons I had steelhead fishing.  Honestly and this is no story, I know I landed 40 steelhead in 2 hours I was fishing minnows on a noodle rod that day, I bought 2 dozen and ran out, I then fished skein.  We were using the flyrods heavy that one season I remember a couple guys from warren pa watching us fish flies they could not believe the fish we were landing.  I also remember landing my 1rst coho on a flyrod using a right angle float technique, very deadly way to fish.  He was fair hooked and landed in a pool deep enough I could not see any fish.

I am hoping for a better year this year and plan on buying new york liscense, and a reservation liscense.

Hopefully I will find a few people to fish with.  My problem is I have my days off during the week, (a good thing in many ways for fishing) but a bad thing in that I work all weekends and it kills my social life, but hey if you have full time job with benefits you better count yourself as very lucky.

I am ready for the silver this fall, whether it be salmon or steelhead or big brownies.  I fish a 9 ft st croix fly rod a 11'6  5/6 weight for steelies works good because its forgiving on hard runs,  9' noodle st croix, cortland noodle 9'  11' 6" st croix float rod with loomis center pin, I have not mastered this rod yet.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/10 11:11:29 (permalink)
hey silver, what year are speaking of? the last two years have been great for steelhead. in my opinion early 90's was the hottest for me. you are lucky for having weekdays off. weekdays in the late fall and winter are a steelheaders paradise. i try my best to go up for 3 or 4 day weekends as much as i can to take advantage of lighter pressure. you definitely have an advantage also with switching your tactics. i used to only fly fish, but now i do both. the last day in april this past year i had a ten hook up morning on pink worms under floats fishing for drop backs in the lower river while my brother was swinging flies and didn't touch a fish. the drop backs were holding in the stagnant water nosed up behind deep pockets. it's not easy to get the right presentation on these type of holding fish when fly fishing. especially in low/warm water. meanwhile, this past winter i averaged anywhere from 5 to 20 hook ups on custom nymphs i tied. versatility goes a long way with fishing. although i used to exclusively fly fish, i never carried the purist attitude. fishing is fishing. we should all just get along. i have thought about trying minnows or fat heads in the lower river this year. with your post, now i'm definitely going to try it and i'm sure it will be a success. fish on...
3fan
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 668
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/10 18:23:20 (permalink)
I got to say I have never heard of anyone fishing minnows on the salmon, but one thing I see alot now is people fishing the power worms under floats. We used to do that 16 years ago except there was no such thing as center pins and power baits, we used our noodle rods and nightcrawlers. It was extremely hard to keep your worms alive and not froze stiff, used to stick them inside my shirt under my jacket. If your wondering if it worked the answer is oh yea! Another thing we used to do is in certain spots we couldnt properely get a fly to swing useing conventional fly tackel is use our noodle rods and bottom bounce a fly, then I started seeing people do it with 9' leaders and the term "ropeing" was born. Always someone gonna try and cheat.
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/11 04:41:32 (permalink)
Good stuff. Welcome aboard new fellas. This thread & the things said has been making my endless days of work & 4 hrs. of ot almost daily more bearable by thinking of those Big Fishes in the river this Fall to come & all of the past. 

Lyrical
Kype Magazine
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/11 18:56:18 (permalink)
Hey dimebrite
yeah the Grand is in Ohio...great steelhead run starting in mid October til mid December then again mid March til mid May.

As for the private land, the best way to fish it is to float it with a guide or stay near the bridges/public access.

Sid Snow
Kype Magazine
www.KypeMagazine.com
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/13 20:58:57 (permalink)
hey kype, thanks for the info. definitely one of the hundreds of rivers i' long to target in my lifetime. i think i can say time is still on my side (god willing). i put 98 percent of my effort to the salmon though. over 20 years experience. i own property on the river. plus i have two young children. hopefully oneday though
silverman31
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 62
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/13 22:41:35 (permalink)
I got to admit it, my skills have been off the past few years for steelhead, but then again it could be my refusal to fish low or even mid river if there is more then 8 or 10 cars in a location, im talking about the pa tribs for steelies.  Where I fish for them they should have a PHD in making sure the fly or bait is drifted abosulutely perfectly because I can gurantee when they get to where I fish they have seen everything by then.  I may have to sacrifice solitude to increase my catch rate.

Honestly though as a steelhead fisherman I fish the pools, the heads of pools, the tails of pools, and mid pools.  I don't fish the skinny water or the fast stuff, that could be my loss though.  For steelhead every rod has it's place and purpose, some places are just impossible to swing line on and get a drag free drift, other places the fly rod is the perfect tool.  Another thing though is the noodle rod can swing flies just as well.  I think the big thing for me was I could get my presentation out quicker with a noodle rod and thus catch fish quicker, although I have had 20 fish days on fall back steelies with the fly rod.  I am not a snob though what ever works best for ya more power to you.

One thing a guy told me which 90% true is your confidence factor in what you are fishing, and its true, sometimes changing up to much just screws you up.  Another thing, again now this is for myself and not knocking anyone else, I always hated fishing for fish  i could see, a much higher snag ratio, so I have always tried to avoid it at all cost, that could be my loss though.  I pride myself in foul hooking maybe 4 fish at the most in season, id rather not catch them then foul hook a fish.

Now getting back to salmon fishing, are you guys saying fish the faster riffles rather then pools trying to swing a fly in front of them, trying to anger them into biting?  Maybe fish the heads of pools to?  Honestly, I really only understand that the salmon hit more out of anger, and don't hit out of hunger at all.  I'll admit it, with salmon this is a new game to me.  A lot of guys say floss their teeth, this a form of snagging?  Not knocking anyone but i do not want to snag fish.  I'll apreciate more input and feedback, im counting the weeks, and hoping for some crazy weather in August that won't hurt anyone or anything spurring the early runs this year.  One year for steelies we had fish in very good numbers in pa the first week of september, there were steelies, brownies and a bunch of pink salmon that early fall, that was a excellent season for sure!!

Take care
post edited by silverman31 - 2010/07/13 22:42:54
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/14 06:07:16 (permalink)
Yeah, flossing=snagging. If you fish honest you won't have 30 fish on days in my exp. while fishing for Salmon. I'm real happy with 5 or 6 strikes a day, but I know I earned it..
I don't have the experience of guys who have done it way longer & more than me. The Salmon are way different than Trout & are very hard to figure out.
There is nothing to compare their strength to once hooked. King Salmon give an amazing battle.

Lyrical
3fan
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 668
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/14 18:32:41 (permalink)
I have pulled plugs for salmon early in the season when there isint a person every 12 inchs and can honestly say I have seen salmon come out of the water with my flatfish in its mouth biteing it like a dog on a bone, chomp, chomp, chomp. I have seen salmon swing to flys early on and was told by a guide that used to fish douglaston before the fleecing, he had taken salmon on drys. Now by the time they reach the upper stretch they are to battle scared and shell shocked to do anything but run, you may have an hour our two in the morning to cast to them but once the chucker and ducker crowd show up its a floss thing for everyone. Now another question I have is the fly only zones, the rules state conventional fly tackel, does that include running line instead of fly line and weight attached, like a slinkey? See it all the time, used to fish the lower fly zone 3 and 4 times a week, was a guy that used running line and slinkeys and would hook 10 fish a day, whistled the whole time he was there, used to drive me nuts! Especially when I would hook up maybe two times and land one, dec was there all the time never gave him a ticket, once again I got disgusted with the hole situation and looked for places less visited, further away from the parking areas, arent many spots like that anymore, someone knows your spot two.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/14 21:07:48 (permalink)
when i target salmon i target them very low in the river. i swing sometimes sparse and sometimes fat wads of glo bug yarn to get a pulsating effect on the end of my line with varying weight depending on many different factors in water level, type of water, and type of holding fish. i do not fish water i can see in ;and i know when a fish takes. i can honestly say that from mid august til mid sept. and sometimes later september, i see a big difference in the mood of salmon early on in the lower river. although i don't sight fish, i have seen many salmon bolt and roll on my fly. i find salmon that are more prone to hold in black white water in sometimes large numbers from dawn til sun is on the water. it's these fish, early on, in the lower river that i have seen most agressively hit your fly, plug, or bait of any sort. i have had noses come out of the water in the tail outs of my drift too many times to count. once the quote on quote season that everyone refers to as salmon season starts, it's over for me. yes i have seen many agressive fish in the later season. have had agressive salmon attack my own fly in to december. the latest i ever saw a salmon caught was on a hot shot in december, and the latest i ever saw a salmon was in february on a day that was -19 in the morning and high of around 15. on my way up from the wire hole took the back trail back to the altmar parking lot where those springs just form out of the ground and flow in to the river. i saw a pair of spawning cohoes that flipped out and fled under bank ice once i got within 5 ft. from them. i have seen runs or movements of fish through thelower river where they will run one side of an island one day, and then the next day with the same water level they will run the other side. there is more than meets the eye when it comes to these amazing fish. and they are not all the same. in my experience, a salmon will hit when driven to, while resting in what they think is a secure resting grounds ( and i don't mean deep slow moving pools), and also on the other hand, while setting up on beds and males fighting for females and especially cohoes. i believe in getting your presentation down whether it's a plug or a split shot or a long mend with a floating weight forward line. look at alaska though, there are bays that they cast floating mouse patterns to tidal cohoes that explode on the surface for your fly. salmon will hit. you just have to find your groove and just like everyone else said you must fish with confidence. avoid dead water though. just because there are a lot of people some where doesn't mean you should be there either. you can have a pool loaded with kings in the upper river where you can't even touch one with your hook if you tried. choose your water wisely and fish it wisely with confidence. i actually have a 13 ft. noodle rod that can handle 4 to 10 lb. test. i am looking forward to this salmon season and fishing that rod with bobbers in deep faster runs with large home made egg sacks, glo yarn wads, or maribou type buggers targeting all species. i cant wait. i think it will be very successful. fish on to all
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/14 21:16:34 (permalink)
oh yeah 3fan, for the fly zone, no running lines aloud, and fly must be propelled by fly line and not the weight. it specifically tells you you can not turn a weight forward line backwards. i believe your line must taper within 20'. the fly zones are funny. i fish them mostly just for steel head. there are some characters up there. i had a guy get ****ed off at me for asking him if he had any luck. he insisted that fishing has nothing to do with luck and started mouthing off to me. not that it means much, but he couldn't speak english clearly. i just kept walking. some people aren't even worth the breath even if it stinks. many of the so called spey casters who swing flies up there i've seen belly and dorsal hooking the same fish over and over again. there are many good people too though.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/14 22:37:05 (permalink)
What DB said holds true .. I do however teach and fish just a bit different on salmon.. When possible (depends on water flow & clarity) I Totally sight fish salmon. I don't teach flossin which is just another word for snagging..
Tactics I employ are usually at the very top of a pool where there is a shallow run or funnel or on a flat run with shallow pocket water. The flats in drs is prime salmon fishing.. I look for water usually no more then 3 to 5' deep and not heavy white water (I don't plunk my flies) It also should have many small pockets where salmon will hold before moving to the next pocket. I will often follow a fish moving up stream until it holds in such type pocket then swing my LARGE BRIGHT fly through that pocket.. Yes I can see my fly & the fish.. Presentation of the fly can be key, keep your fly above and a side profile to the line of sight.. fish will move across or up, NOT DOWN.. If the fish is interested it will take.. If not it will usually move on after a few casts. I will usually follow it to the next holding pocket for another shot.. If no take by then I let them be and search out the next fish..
Why I like & teach fishing this way is it leaves NOTHING to chance and weight is not needed other then the fly.. I know exactly what is going on and to see a 30 lb king CHASE a fly IMO it does not get any better..

Option #2 is when they are in spawning mode.. They will jockey and attack each other for position on the female.. Pretty easy to get them to strike but also pretty beat down fish by then and I prefer to pass.

Now steelhead.. Diffrent species and different tactics..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/16 00:45:47 (permalink)
Here it is the middle of July and the fish stories begin.
I'm booked the last week of Sept and first week of Oct and contrary to what has been said by others I fish the Fly Zones,preferably the upper.Also I find that even though the Salmon have run the gauntlet to get there they do settle down and hit a good presentation.As others have said the slow deep water is not the best place to fish,target moving water instead.I used to use running line but with the new regs I now use a WF.I use only enough weight to get the fly down in front of the fish,usually one medium shot is enough.I also find that a flouracarbon tippet to be helpfull.If the Salmon are in the mood I have steady hookups thru the time I'm on the water.Flies to use include buggers,streamers,large nympths,and egg patterns all in various colors.One day it could be black,then it could be red or whatever,you need variety.
Someone mentioned the Grand River in Ohio.I fish that and the Rocky,Chagrin,Conny also.The Rocky is in the city of Cleavland and runs thru a long park system,it boggles my mind to be in Cleavland and fighting 6-14# Steelhead LOL.In fact I had the same experience on the Grand last April,fished in downtown Painsville in a park with baseball games and other events going on and hooked a bunch of Steel.
I also fish "Steelhead Fantasyland" AKA Erie,caught 70+ fish/day a couple times,20-30/day is normal.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/16 08:49:19 (permalink)
you're right PA. the upper fly zone definitely settles the fish down. what's great about up there is that a lot of those fish are natural spawners. i remember when that frist opened up and i went down there sometime in 97 or 98 in october and there were guys there ripping fish out of the water with 30 lb. line and get this they were even keeping them. i didn't go there for a long time after that. i know things have changed everywhere on the river in the past 15 years. i can honestly say though that i do not target the upper fly as much as i should. i should make more of an effort this year. i'm sure i'll see you up there if you are going to be there for 2 weeks. tight lines...
pafisher
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/16 10:35:35 (permalink)
Dime,you under roof yet?I'll be sure to drop in when I'm up there but I will be there Sunday to Thurs end of Sept and Sunday to Friday first week of Oct.I'm sure we can meet up on Sunday at least.
Now that the new regs have cut down on the chuck and duck guys the Zones are more pleasureable to fish.Hopefully the DEC will enforce the rules and keep it that way.
The water situation is looking good as the reservoir is full to the brim,alot of rain has fallen in that area and I'm thinking we might get a early run this year.If so,I'll be coming up for a early trip or two also,I'm flexible as I'm retired and have the time for my passion.
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/18 14:00:40 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: silverman31

A lot of guys say floss their teeth, this a form of snagging?  

This is the practice used by 99% of the fishermen on 99% of the salmon in the river that are not blatently lifting.

Take careful note of how the previous posters in this thread explained how they target the fast water and cast their offering across the location where the targeted fish is..(hint,hint).

I hope that this post does not upset the Chamber of Commerce crowd..
hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/18 18:12:17 (permalink)

This is the practice used by 99% of the fishermen on 99% of the salmon in the river that are not blatently lifting.

that number is a little high .. i'd say 50% or better start out with good intentions. Once you realize every fish will not strike and you must let that fish pass , you"ll be in the 10% group..
it's called fishing, anything else is just fooling yourself.

Looking more forward to brookies this fall

dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/18 19:37:35 (permalink)
hey drake, it was poster not posters... and it was me. so you can use my name if you'd like next time. i watch people fish dead water all day long . for me, with salmon; i fish the back eddies and little pools that are actually stagnant water which is in between the white water to be specific and is also prime holding grounds for salmon. i know my capabilities and possibilities and to be honest with you, i fish all types of water when it comes down to it. i can swing wets, high stick nymphs and streamers, float a size 22 dry fly in a little or big trout stream , sight fish for bonefish, float a bobber through a productive seem, bottom bounce a worm or egg sack, and catch large mouths all day long on spinning or fly gear.and salmon for me last a few weeks and then i target steelhead. think what you'd like. maybe you can post your tactics first before reading everyone elses and then trying to bash them. oh yeah, and by the way, have you switched to a real fly line in the fly zones yet or are you still throwing a running line? wait a minute... do you even know how to fly cast? like i said before, try to be a little more informative rather than being the smart a**. how about this one, not 99% but most quote on quote guys who fly fish on the salmon river don't even know how to fly cast. how's that for the chamber of commerece...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/18 22:40:37 (permalink)
i see you're thinking hard...
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/18 22:41:23 (permalink)
Impressive resume dimebrite. You should don a red shirt and maybe the Becks will take a pic of you so you could grace the cover a feeshin magazine.

I'm honest enough to admit that I probably line (a.k.a floss) just about every Salmon I catch - whether it is intentional or not.

And if you cannot admit that it is a commonplace occurrence in fast water then that it is your problem, not mine.

At least I don't sight fish for salmon that are gulping water in the "back eddies and little pools". IMO the fish deserve an undisturbed break before they make their next run up the rapids. Too bad others don't share the same sentiment. 

As far as the running line - Yup I still use it on the Salmon River and in the UFZ, and will continue to do so. (I don't fish the LFZ Kiddie Pool).
There is no need to rip an expensive fly line to shreds when the mudsharks take me into the rocks and other debris. I can cast a $20 Cortland running line accurately up to 40 feet with only a weighted fly on the end of my leader. There is no need for any distance capability beyond that.

Matter of fact, I discussed this matter with a DEC officer in the UFZ last year and he had no problem whatsoever with my setup. The new law was meant to get rid of the Chuck&Duckers from the fly zones. The fish cops observe a person's behavior before they write a citation. They can tell when a person is "casting" -vs- tossing out a bunch of added weight designed to give a fish head trauma..

Do you have any other critques you would like me to address?

dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/18 23:06:20 (permalink)
you are misunderstanding me. i do not sight fish, and i fish white water for salmon. and yes there are many little back eddies and deep pools in between the seems of white water that most eyes can not recognize. you are right, fish can be lined while fishing this water, but they can also strike. especially in the early season which is when i fish for salmon mostly. so i guess we are kinda on the same page and have just misunderstood eachother...
pafisher
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/19 10:32:59 (permalink)
Dime,see my earlier post and let me know your plans.
99% of the fish are flossed?Here's my take on it.There are days when you drift one color fly thru a area and no hits,then change to another color and get one hit after another.Does color make a difference in your flossing success?If the fish is flossed the line runs into the mouth pulling the fly to its head and hooking the fish on the OUTSIDE of the mouth opposite of the bank from where the person is standing.Most of my fish are hooked IN the mouth on the jaw on the side of where I'm standing.There are times that I see the fish move to hit my offering although usually I fish water that is fast and too deep to see whats happening.Another question to ponder is if Salmon don't bite why are plugs being back trolled so successful?Believe what you want but I know a hit when I feel it and I have been flyfishing for 55 yrs to know what a hit is.
On another subject on lines,yes a running line is a legal line in fact in the very beginning that is what everyone used.I used it for the monetary reason also,and if I destroy too many expensive lines up there I might go back to them.
2Bonthewater
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/19 11:43:57 (permalink)
Hey PA,

shipped you a package........should be delivered soon

www.2bonthewater.com
hot tuna
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/19 17:49:50 (permalink)
Since this thread has both wheels in the ditch..
What else is there then a back cast, with maybe a few false casts to fly fishing for salmon.. Because I have no clue.

Great thing, I'll be trolling a sinking line all day for brookies :)

dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/19 18:33:23 (permalink)
i wouldn't say the ditch. there has been differing productive information through out. i prefer a spey/roll cast combination while always keeping your line in front of you or downstream from you. i can handle up to 60' of line sometimes while not stripping in or ever bringing my line behind me (of course rod,line and surroundings permitting). maybe if i have a lot of room behind me i will do the back cast but i tend to always stay with the spey/roll/personal touch cast for salmon or steel. a 10'6" or 11' is your minimum length rod to cast this way comfortably, and i do mean minimum. plus, you don't necessarily need room in terms of fishing pressure, but knowledgable anglers surrounding you who can fall in to the same rhythm. and if lucky, you can get a group of guys together to rotate a spot while fish are agressive. i have no problem helping anglers who don't have a clue. it's best for everyone when you lend a helping hand. i just hate it when you start to see the same people and they always park right next to you. even when you try a different spot a little up or down, they follow you. some people are funny... i can see how the back cast works for you best though tuna... when sight targeting fish that are moving from one pocket to the next, you must have the speed and ability to keep up with the fish by punching a single or double haul with precision. fishing is a wonderful thing. info is great, but it really comes down to customizing your own skills to work for you and not just with casting but with fly patterns and rigging methods...
dimebrite
Pro Angler
RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/19 18:48:09 (permalink)
PA, you are right with everything you say in my book. i am on the same page as you in regards to lining fish versus striking fish. when still mid drift and not even dragging bottom; a sudden shake and with out a chance to even lift the rod a head is shaking out of the water; and when landed (150 yds. downstream)the hook is on the tongue, kype, or opposite side of mouth; that fish took. i don't look down on a running line. i started with a weight forward up there, then swithced to a running and now am mainly back to weight forward double taper. sometimes i use a running line. i prefer a thicker one though when used or evn a double tapered 3 or 4 weight, rather than the really thin ones. i had a sci angler line once that was clear and non tapered. it was about as thick as a 4 or 5 weight. man, what a great line that was for steelhead. fly zone is definitely traditional fly line only though. for your trips, i will definitely be around when you will be there. you'll see me when you ride by i'm sure. i'll have to hit the upper fly on a late afternoon or something with you. oh yeah, you can bring your tool belt if you'd like...
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: