wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!!

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
silverman31
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 62
  • Reward points: 0
2010/06/01 18:50:27 (permalink)

wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!!

I almost went up last fall for salmon on the salmon river but did not make it.

I have got questions though first:

1. Whats the best time for active fish
2. What is the pressure like, is it a zoo or carnival, AKA like walnut creek in PA
3. Rods required. Med action noodle with 12 lb test. Flyrod 12wt at least or will a 8/9 cut it.
4. Best flys or sponge to use.
5. Best cheap dive to stay in as long as it is clean etc.
6. best locations to fish, would be driving 400 mile one way, don't want to be guessing at locations, riding around all day.

Other possibility: Planning a week long trip, if going later in the season planning on hitting a few tribs heading back west for brownies, steelies, and salmon.

7. What about a spring run does one exist, does it consist of mostly steelies, salmon, etc.

8. What other local tribs around the salmon river fish good

Thank you all for your help.

I TOlerate Summer, (but my heart is always in the FAll and Winter when the big fish roam

76 Replies Related Threads

curtisb733
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/06/01 22:01:47 (permalink)
    1. Whats the best time for active fish, They run at night and a little during the day, it is hit and miss unless you are in a pool that is fairly deep.

2. What is the pressure like, is it a zoo or carnival, AKA like walnut creek in PA It is a freaking zoo in places and not so much in others. To be safe and make like you are actually "fishing and catching them" go to douglastown run. It costs but not crazy.

3. Rods required. Med action noodle with 12 lb test. Flyrod 12wt at least or will a 8/9 cut it. check forums it all depends on what you like to use, these fish average around 15# to 30# so be prepared to hang on "FISH ON"

4. Best flys or sponge to use. My opinion nothing matters unless you are an avid fly fisherman. Use any color and get lucky like everyone else.

5. Best cheap dive to stay in as long as it is clean etc. Do the camp ground thing, much better experience. I go to Browns camp ground , the walk to the river is 5 to 6 minutes.

6. best locations to fish, would be driving 400 mile one way, don't want to be guessing at locations, riding around all day. No riding. look for parking lots and cars. where there are people there are fish. best time is I say last week in sept to end of oct.

The Mountain man
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/06/02 23:05:41 (permalink)
    douglastown - LOL.  That's funny Curtis !

Active fish-I'd say the first week of October.  Cloudy days can bring fish in.  If you're looking for steel in the SR, or on the way home, and are looking for good salmon activity, you're best in October. 

Pressure is crazy during the most active times.  Even in the pay to play.   A little bit more respect there.

You're gonna want a rod with backbone.  Fly rod 9 or 10 is about right.  I've caught them on 8 wt.  Seen 7 wt. 

Fly color or type doesn't matter if you've mastered the art of flossing.    Amazing the amount of folks running split shot 3'11" from their fly.  I like black and/or red.  I like swinging big red leeches with no weight.  You won't hook up nearly as often as the others around you "slammin" 'em, but you're hooking generally the hottest fish and its legit.

Places fill up quick during busy season.   Reserve a room ahead of time if you're staying a full week.

Although salmon blast upstream, I like fishing low.  Of course, fishing low doesn't mean that's where the hottest fish always are.

Spring fishin' is usually steelheading for winter run dropbacks.

Although other tribs get salmon, you're best sticking to the SR.  There are maps on this website to get you started for locations, and if you're up for other waters.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/06/03 18:32:30 (permalink)
    If it's your first time going there, I would recommend using a guide. It will cut your learning curve dramatically. Good luck!

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    nysteelieguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/06/04 19:56:23 (permalink)
    You will never be able to guess when the best time to go is. A very cool spell with good rain can happen any time. It can also be very warm and dry into October like in 2007.

If you want fresh fish, try Douglaston. There have been some massive coho runs in mid September the last few years. Being a first-timer, set your expectations low, that way when you get skunked for several days, you won't be disappointed.

These two things are very important. The Salmon River is nothing like Walnut Creek--shooting fish in a barrel. It's a man's river and it seems like you would be very out-classed there.

Most importantly, sponge is for snaggers. Do yourself a favor and stay home til the steelies run in Erie.
    post edited by nysteelieguy - 2010/06/04 19:57:07
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/06/26 22:43:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: nysteelieguy

You will never be able to guess when the best time to go is. A very cool spell with good rain can happen any time. It can also be very warm and dry into October like in 2007.

If you want fresh fish, try Douglaston. There have been some massive coho runs in mid September the last few years. Being a first-timer, set your expectations low, that way when you get skunked for several days, you won't be disappointed.

These two things are very important. The Salmon River is nothing like Walnut Creek--shooting fish in a barrel. It's a man's river and it seems like you would be very out-classed there.

Most importantly, sponge is for snaggers. Do yourself a favor and stay home til the steelies run in Erie.
    thats harsh man

I have become comfortably numb
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/06/28 17:31:15 (permalink)
    early for salmon is what i recomend. and yes douglaston is worth it although its 45 per day this year. thats why i have season pass. but late august to about 2nd week in sept is by far my favorite time for ACTIVE salmon. bright yarn flies in deep pocket water is prime. to be most specific, fish the white water in the tail outs or heads of pockets where it's black and impossible to see the. trust me, they are there. sight fishing is not for me. you can fish the deep pools, but in my experience, i find that they just play the circle game in the pools, plus they are spooked because everyone is rippin their line through the water. these fish are smart and adapt very quickly in regards to line, flies, and what ever else everyone is throwing at them. 9 weight is great for salmon. from 9' to 14' depending on water you are fishing and presentation desired. in all honesty though, steelhead fishing is great on the salmon also. in october you can get a great mixxed bag of trout and salmon. steelhead are in the river than until early may. you can have banner days at anytimefrom early october ubtil early may. just always watch the water and weather. for accomodations i recomend the COMFORT ZONE in altmar. I WAS ACTUALLY UP THIS PAST WEEKEND. I SAW 2 ATLANTICS IN THE HATCHERY. 2 weeks ago a friend of mine caught a 13 pound atlantic. and i'm sure some summer run steelies are going back and forth now as the river comes up and down. in reality, the salmon is a year round fishery. i'd say its world renowned. good luck man. keep asking questions, thats how you learn...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/06/28 17:38:26 (permalink)
    oh yeah tribs... sandy creeks (either of the three), grindstone, orwell, catfish... but they are not rivers to plan on. they are hit or miss. if you are traveling so far for only one trip in one year, you should concentrate on the salmon river. oh yeah there is oswego, which gets great brown rainbows and steelies, but that is an interesting river. spin fishing only, and most spots are fishing off of a wall... good luck
    nysteelieguy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/06/29 16:57:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kokanee Killer

thats harsh man

You know what they say. The truth hurts.
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/06/30 11:43:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Kokanee Killer

thats harsh man

You know what they say. The truth hurts.

yeah you sure hit the nail in the head but i will take the salmon river any day too

I have become comfortably numb
    Kype Magazine
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/06/30 20:41:10 (permalink)
    1. Whats the best time for active fish ---
    Late Sept - thru mid October

2. What is the pressure like, is it a zoo or carnival, AKA like walnut creek in PA --
    zoo, get away from the bridges and the major holes--- fish pocket water.

3. Rods required. Med action noodle with 12 lb test. Flyrod 12wt at least or will a 8/9 cut it. --
    8/9 -- a strong reel with a good drag.

4. Best flys or sponge to use ---
    ole reliable wooley buggers.

5. Best cheap dive to stay in as long as it is clean etc. --
    Whitakers 315- 298-6162
    Steelhead Lodge 315-298-4371
    Fox Hollow 315-298-2876
    Anglers Lodge 315-298-6028

6. best locations to fish, would be driving 400 mile one way, don't want to be guessing at locations, riding around all day. --
    buy the book, Complete Guide to the Salmon River by George Douglas -- it's available at Kype.net

Other possibility: Planning a week long trip, if going later in the season planning on hitting a few tribs heading back west for brownies, steelies, and salmon.

7. What about a spring run does one exist, does it consist of mostly steelies, salmon, etc. ---
    yes, steelhead - March to mid May.

8. What other local tribs around the salmon river fish good --
    Trout and Orwell -- N and S Sandy -- Little Sandy

Sid Snow
    Kype Magazine
    www.KypeMagazine.com
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/02 08:27:09 (permalink)
    i guess nysteelie is a classy guy. look out for him...
    silverman31
    Novice Angler
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/02 20:49:12 (permalink)
    Words don't hurt me, you'll always find someone who is rude or a know it all.  I ask questions to learn not to be mocked.  I always believe in helping others, rather then being rude. 

Doesn't matter
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/03 10:53:46 (permalink)
    Silver, have you ever gone out on the lake for the critters? Personally, I like it a lot more. The river get's jammed up with a lot of people, fish get skiddish. (I won't pay to fish Doug.)

Boat fishing gives you an open lake, more room, fresh fish. The fish don't just go up or down stream. Kings can go in any direction on the boat. Up, down, overhere, overthere. Screaming drags hundred yrds at a clip. I my opinion, much more exciting. Throw in a few doubles or even triple and you got a real party going on in the boat.

Charters my not be cheap, but if you get some good friends to split costs, it's worth a try. Having some good friends with lake boats is even better.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/05 20:17:41 (permalink)
    you know over, 21 years now for me and i've yet to hit the lake. i've always talked about it but never did it. my father in law goes out on his boat the past two years and always tries to get me . i'm sure i'll do it one of these days
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/06 05:12:14 (permalink)
    Your missing out on a great time. Get out once, have a great trip, and you'll be hooked!

How's the fishing up on the river? Any luck?

OVER THE HILL

silverman31
    Novice Angler
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/06 16:42:41 (permalink)
    For some reason, I really like fishing rivers or streams, something about the running water, working the seams and holes, pockets, etc.  I always enjoyed trout fishing, steelhead fishing, etc.  I have fished the catt a beautful river to catch large steelhead, the elk creek, chatqua, walnut maybe 1 time a year.  I always try to fish where there are no people usually meaning I am one of the last people the fish will swim past.  Most of the time I am lucky to see 1 person a day in the places I fish.  I catch a lot less fish as a result but the solitude is priceless.  I would not mind trying a charter, but I am going to have to have some routine medical test done that will run me 1500.00, ouch!!!  Now that hurts.  Better safe then sorry though, I am calling it my 50 year check up!!!
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/06 18:27:15 (permalink)
    Hey silverman, I get up there quite alot will let you know whens a good time. I personally start going up and looking for salmon in mid august, its always hit or miss, if its been a hot summer and theres no water Ill wait for rain or the kyackers release then fish the next day, any little fluctation in the water will bring fish in early, usually cohos early kings hold out a little longer, which I think is better, wish they would do away with king stockings and only stock cohos, but that is another story. As for rods I use an eight weight and swing lightly weighted olive wolly bugers. As for spots to fish, I wouldnt give the douglaston run a quarter, but in my opion mid river is has the best spots to fish,not gonna be two exact but mid river always a good starting spot. Fish On!!
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/06 21:24:25 (permalink)
    there is nothing like an august salmon out of the river... the biggest run of kings ive ever seen was actually the third week in august of 1998. i have seen many large runs all typical times. this one was by far a natural phenomenon and i don't think i'll ever see a run like this ever again. it was all 25 plus males that were bright silver and some had a faint tint of pink to there bellies. they came fresh out of deep water from a cold rain.i followed these fish for three days from douglaston to the ball park. at one point they were stacked to the surface in the body of the black hole. there were long periods of time that i didn't even fish and just watched.i maybe saw 10 other fisherman in 3 days and most times fished with no one in sight. it has definitely changed since those times. a few more anglers target these early fish, but it still beats true quote on quote salmon fishing to me. but yes uts hit or miss. but 1-10 hook up mornings are common for me in the later part of august down low.i start in mid august my self for kings as well. try it
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/06 21:46:13 (permalink)
    3fan your posts are too funny... In a light hearted way..

aside from a Labor day at the beach I will for the first time in 34 years not par-take in fishing Salmon in 2010.. Just find myself moving in another direction this fall.

To answer some of the original questions through my experience.

1. After a rise in water level (example 335 to 500 or 750) or heavy rains you will find active fish. A rise will trigger fish to move & stage and those fish will be most active.. This could happen most any time around the last week in August.. Last year the Sat of Labor day weekend we had aprox, 1,000 salmon come through DSR.. Sunday aprox. 2,000 fish.
    After that it shut down for a few weeks then it became a steady flow & eb of fish up until the first week in Oct.. By the end of first week in Oct more trout came in then salmon..

2.Pressure.. Ah the pressure.. Yes It gets a TON... Avoid sucker holes, those slow deep pools where everyone is shoulder to shoulder trying to shoot fish in a barrel.. Fish below pools in broken flowing water.. Concentrate on staging > holding spots .. Most times fewer fish but less pressure..

3. Rods...
    9' 8 or 9 wt.. with a SOLID reel holding 100 yards 30# backing. And yes WFF fly line..
    although I don't use spinning gear a 10' noodle rod with 10# line will be fine..
    I start with 12# tippet and never find need to ever use less then 10#

4. Flies..
    Yup Buggers & comets .. .. cant go wrong with brown ,olive or black Krystal buggers. My comets are simple.. Pink or Chartreuse.. Both size # 4 salmon hook.
    I weight 25% of my streamers and they are used with no other added weight. If weight is needed it will be very minimal, this is not ice fishing.. Swinging fly gets active fish to move.. bottom bouncing does not, water temps dont put salmon down, lead does..

5. Lodging..
    Camping galore.. Selkirk Shores has cabins and plenty of campgrounds in the area.. As for rooms.. Whitakers is hard to beat but I'm sure booked solid.. Brenda’s motel is cheap . There are just lots of places but they do fill .

6. Best Location
    Funny...
    These are migratory fish and move through the river system.. Here today gone tomorrow..
    I always only "salmon" fished DSR..(first wade able water to fish) But will not re-new my pass.
    It's great water ( in terms of water) and at times fantastic fishing.. BUT it can also be dead water if fish are not coming in and have already moved through.. A tough pill to swallow if you pay $45.00 per day..
    Obviously the "free" water will have the most pressure (that word again) .. Start low and work up..

7.Spring run..
    Steelhead..

8. Tribs..
    North & south sandy & yes they get hit as well. They are also as are the tribs rain dependant.
    The feeders to the Salmon also get large amounts of salmon but I "myself" find no sport in trying to hook salmon in those small tribs..

Useless Info..
    I have never found salmon to take a fly in flat water.
    I have found 2 ways to get salmon take flies.. Staging while on the move or spawning.. I prefer the first.
    I have never caught a moving fish..
    I have never caught a salmon on a size #10 black stonefly..

see ya all in november..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/06 23:28:53 (permalink)
    couldn't of been said better tuna. my passion is definitely nov. - early may as well. my favorite month last year was january as a matter of fact... hope to see ya there...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/06 23:31:11 (permalink)
    by the way tuna, what are you targeting this fall. you don't have to tell me spots or states or any regions; but what type of fish are you targeting?
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/07 17:07:14 (permalink)
    45 bucks now? Jeebus- does that include flies & Jagermeister?

Lyrical
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/07 17:25:02 (permalink)
    Yea dime, that is why I start mid august, I took my then little brother up for his first salmon river trip, he was 15 then. We parked down in the spots reserved for rescue bye the staircase now you cant park there. Got there 530 walked down to the staircase was no one else around, I told him not to expect anything, just enjoy the day, but we were greeted by fish, alot of fish. Bye 9 we both had landed 5+ and were hooting and holaring and haveing a blast, were seen by some locals walking the bridge and bye 11 there was about 10-15 of use just haveing a riot. We left about 2 in the afternoon dragging our arms, soar from fighting fish. We hooked up 75 times and landed between the two of us 25 fish, and as you stated never have saw another year like it yet. My buddy was running salmon acres lodge for a few years and I would go up and fish clarke falls early and have had very good days early in aug. Ill bet our paths have crossed at least once on the water, hopefully not our lines though!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/07 17:56:02 (permalink)
    will be fishing the St. Regis, Saranac area sept until oct.15th .. All trout and yes the other Salmon :) Love the solitude..

From then on Bow (hunting) only until.. well the fish bring me back to Ptown..

While no plans to fish silvers or kings I'm sure I'll get an itch ..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/07 20:33:49 (permalink)
    I'm ready to fish. No more 24 hour Hell days. Boycott Super 8.

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/08 12:43:27 (permalink)
    didn't even get the line wet over the hill.
    solitude goes a long way tuna...
    we probably have crossed paths i'm sure of it 3 fan. i fish mostly barclays though with my season pass especially for early salmon. oops, i'm sorry i said that . i know that word makes people cringe these days. i don't know, to each their own. my season pass is worth it to me. 45 for the day though, i couldn't see myself paying that. 450 in one shot i can still handle.i do fish the entire river as well along with other ontario tribs. but i don't rely on them. i'm lucky if i hit them when they have fish. you can't predict mother nature.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/08 14:03:14 (permalink)
    If I lived closer I would opt for a season pass also (yeah- I know there's a waiting list).

I am looking for a double hander. It's time to open another chapter in my fishing.

Lyrical
    silverman31
    Novice Angler
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/08 16:58:36 (permalink)
    Someday my goal is to live in steelhead alley.  I have thought about this a lot, I abosolutely love to fish for the big boys.  I remember one season with the steelhead it was totally crazy 3 trips and probably over 75 fish, honestly one day in a 2 hour time period I either had one on or lost one on every other cast, I was so tired from landing so many fish.  The day was so great I looked up at the sky and thanked god for such a fantastic experience, and better yet I had solitude most of the time.  People found my favorite pools and that ended that, but can I blame them?  No, everyone deserves fishing this glorious.  Me and a young fellow traveled the tribs and boy did we have great memories, we fished beautiful spots hooked fantastic fish saw awesome scenery it get gets no better than that.  My goal is to be a fishing bum when I grow up, Im already 51 though.  I want to live life with no regrets, enjoy it while i am here, maybe share some great moments with good people slamming the fish, cussing and having a grand old time, nothing better if you ask me.

Great tips guys and thanks a lot I am really enjoying reading your comments and stories.

Silverman
    post edited by silverman31 - 2010/07/08 17:00:04
    Kype Magazine
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: wANT TO PREPARE EARLY FOR FALL OR SPRING SALMON FISHING TRIP!! 2010/07/08 18:07:50 (permalink)
    Has anyone fished the Grand? I love it! Many fish, few people. You have to watch for the posted signs though, a lot of private land but what a great river.

Sid Snow
    Kype Magazine
    www.KypeMagazine.com
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: