Well, you got your crossbow season

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
percheye
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/06 22:53:08 (permalink)
Listen.. if PA wants to allow crossbows then eliminate the rifle season like ohio.. nobody wants to see that just like me.. but why allow something that can shoot accurately, easily up to 100 yards, in the woods when the real hunters are standing up, drawing back then shooting instead of sitting there and aiming.. just like rifle. Its BS and a majority of previous archery hunters would agree.. but obviously its legal so i'm not going to complain. I just like the excitement and I don't see where there would be any with an xbow. Its just too easy.
dtorges@bowyers
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/06 23:32:30 (permalink)
You are confused and contradicting yourself. You wrote initially that you didn't care for crossbows, but are now considering one for use in archery season. You revised yourself in this next post by substituting compound bows. Are compounds and crossbows interchangeable?

Nowhere did I say a crossbow was unethical. I didn't even hint at it. In fact, I favor their use in the primitive weapons season.

As for my motive in posting here for the first time? I felt obligated to respond to your opinions, and joining the forum was the only way I could do that. That was a mistake on my part because I see that you have the ability to change your opinions as we go, and to read into my post as you wish. In short, if anything goes, we're going nowhere.

As for your 20 years of experience? And your other qualifications (map-reading skills, etc.)? If those are impressive credentials, then how would you regard my 55 years of hunting with the bow and arrow? I've been at this sport since my first 40# lemonwood recurve, at age 13. It is a sport, after all, and I don't need Webster to tell me that sport means the voluntary imposition of limitations, and that tearing at those limitations, especially by sanctioning their removal by law, means tearing at the nature of sport.

If 55 years has not made me smart enough to resist responding to posts like yours, why would your 20 years impress me?
PAFISHERMAN1981
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 384
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/06 23:34:51 (permalink)
I just hope everything works out with this crossbow law. I don't want to see alot of wounded deer running around or should I say limping around the woods. Just because Joe Smoe thinks that a crossbow is like a rifle. Like I said, If you want to use a crossbow more power to you, but its the ones that will pick it up the week before that scares me.........

Here is a thought, why don't they make a season almost like the inline muzzleloader. For like a two week season.

Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
dtorges@bowyers
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/07 09:33:32 (permalink)
SmMouth Seeker, I don't argue with anyone anonymously. I must have messed up filling out account information during registration because I see that my Profile shortened my email and left the field for my user name blank. In order to revise it, I have to reregister. I'd rather provide it here, fwiw, and go back to lurking, gleaning the site for steelhead info.

Also, SmMouth Seeker, I see where you may have gotten confused on at least one point, but I assure you, "antithetical" and "unethical" are not synonyms.

Best regards,

Dean Torges
dtorges@bowyersedge.com
www.bowyersedge.com
SmMouthSeeker
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 541
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/07 19:00:12 (permalink)
You are confused and contradicting yourself. You wrote initially that you didn't care for crossbows, but are now considering one for use in archery season. You revised yourself in this next post by substituting compound bows. Are compounds and crossbows interchangeable?

No, I meant to say crossbow. As for your 55 years go, point well made. The reason I said I'm considering buying one is for practical reasons. I live in an area with not much room to shoot my bow and the archery range is to far of a drive so a crossbow would be the best way to go for me. It's not going to be a problem for me this year because I'm unemployed, but time used to be a problem. I respect your opinions and you as an experience archer. I don't remember the exact words you used, but you are right about how people have a tendency to buy into the over the counter theory thing. Using topo maps and other technology doesn't make me a better hunter, it's the way I was taught and I enjoy it.
I understand how people are on the up over the crossbow issue. I too experienced this fustration when they introduced the early muzzle loader season into the 3rd week of archery. I wasn't happy about it. You see the 3rd week to me is the best time to be in the woods. I had a fear I was going to hear alot of shooting and it was going to ruin the season for me. I was somewhat right. I realized I was shareing the woods with not only them but also small game hunters tramping past me and water foul hunters sky blasting as well. I took it all in stride and sometimes used it to my advantage.
Good luck this season and welcome to the site.
16506fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 433
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/07 22:20:47 (permalink)
got a vote from me to end rifle season in PA... go to shotguns and archery
SmMouthSeeker
Expert Angler
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/08 14:17:27 (permalink)

I second that.
duncsdad
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 515
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/08 15:38:21 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SmMouth Seeker

I second that.

Sounds good.

You guys going to split buying the rifles that 70% (actually higher percentage because some archery hunters also hunt with a rifle) of PA deer hunters use that are now obsolete?

You can start by writing me a check for about $15K.  I'll even deliver.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/08 16:12:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: 16506fish

I'll vote for that if you make it flintlocks & recurve bows only.  sam
Claypool313
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 449
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/08 19:22:40 (permalink)
I'd vote for it, if you replace shotguns with flintlocks.
Claypool313
Expert Angler
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/08 19:25:46 (permalink)
The reason I said I'm considering buying one is for practical reasons. I live in an area with not much room to shoot my bow and the archery range is to far of a drive so a crossbow would be the best way to go for me.

SmMouth Seeker, how would you be able to shot a crossbow where you can't shoot a real bow?  Or am I missing something.

Just curious.  I also live in a neighborhood where I can't shoot my bow.
bronzeback2
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/08 19:47:41 (permalink)
I don't want to sound self rightous cause I hunt with a recurve its my choice but it bothered my yesterday at Gander Mountain seeing the rush for x-bows and related gear, guess its cause the law was just finalized but even if their easier to master ,think you need time to become familar with your equipment, really hope they don't get it in their heads to change the late flintlock season to include inlines, something neat about that time of year  the snow and hemlocks and carrying that sidelock. Think the x-bows are here to stay but wish they'd consider a somewhat shorter season for them if there is a spike in the kill, as long as they let the regular compound and stickbow users have the traditional length season, like I said earlier just hope everyone takes ethical shots we owe that to the animal.
npsinboro
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/09 10:23:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dtorges@bowyers
Dean Torges
dtorges@bowyersedge.com
www.bowyersedge.com

Completely off topic but cool site Dean! Enjoyed your recipes and the speech given at your 50th HS reunion.. thanks for sharing!
SmMouthSeeker
Expert Angler
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/09 17:07:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Claypool313

The reason I said I'm considering buying one is for practical reasons. I live in an area with not much room to shoot my bow and the archery range is to far of a drive so a crossbow would be the best way to go for me.

SmMouth Seeker, how would you be able to shot a crossbow where you can't shoot a real bow?  Or am I missing something.

Just curious.  I also live in a neighborhood where I can't shoot my bow.

I've never played around with them very much before. I'm thinking all you have to do is sight it in like a gun and it's ready to go. Not like using my compound bow were I have to condition my back muscles to become more proficent at shooting. As for shooting in my neighborhood, my neighbors are great, they don't mind me shooting. But I've had neighbors call the police on me for shooting close to their homes.
Claypool313
Expert Angler
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/09 19:30:34 (permalink)
really hope they don't get it in their heads to change the late flintlock season to include inlines

Get ready cause it's coming.  Maybe not this year but in less than 3.  Save this post.  In 5-6 yrs PA will allow baiting of some form.  Our society is degressing into the easy way out and that goes against my personality.  Makes me sad to think about.  However, I don't bash on the folks who are going to partake now that x-bows are legal.  They have their own personal reasons.  I bash the BOC for allowing outside interests to form their agendas.  If they wanted to do some real good they would work with the state legislators to allow Sunday hunting.

SMS, gotcha on the neighbor thing.  I've been there too.  Never shot a X-bow before so I can't tell ya how long it will take to become proficient.  Good luck.  By the way, my old man missed his target the other day and skipped one up near the neighbor's porch.  He just came out and talked a little, didn't let on if he was mad that I could tell.
SmMouthSeeker
Expert Angler
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/09 23:53:25 (permalink)
SmMouth Seeker, how would you be able to shot a crossbow where you can't shoot a real bow? Or am I missing something.

Claypool313,
I didn't answer your question. There's no way I'd shoot it in my backyard. It's way to powerful, it'll shoot through my garage. I'd take it to an open area or a shooting range. I'd also buy a target designed for crossbow shooting.
I laughed when I read your story about your dad. I did that too.
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/10 01:01:38 (permalink)
Claypool13, You are a little late with your prediction, Pa. already allows baiting in some areas.See page 17 in this years digest. I already have guys crying to me about how it is not fair to them that they are not allowed to bait also.  sam
SmMouthSeeker
Expert Angler
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/10 01:18:24 (permalink)
I always wondered why if it's not legal to use,how come walmart sells it?
bronzeback2
Avid Angler
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/10 07:10:05 (permalink)
Just like screw in steps , illegal for the most part in Pa. yet I read where we lead nation in sales.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/10 12:24:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Claypool313

really hope they don't get it in their heads to change the late flintlock season to include inlines

Get ready cause it's coming.  Maybe not this year but in less than 3.  Save this post. 

I don't think the late flint is going to change any time soon.  I hear more about the possible expansion of the early muzzleloader season.  Look for a push to have it include antlered deer and possibly being moved to the week after archery closes.  With that being said there has been some discussion about moving the early junior/senior antlerless rifle to the same week. 

My rifle is a black rifle
bronzeback2
Avid Angler
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/10 17:27:37 (permalink)
That makes sense, would ease somewhat the flourescent orange confusion and if they included flintlocks which I think they would along with the inlines would give the dyed in the wool flinterlocker a better chance at antlers.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/10 18:11:15 (permalink)
the first hindend that starts sneaking around in my hunting area with his crossgun will be sorry. Archery is about the enjoyment of hunting deer that are less spooky than during rifle season, being in the woods with low hunting pressure and primarily stationary hunters. Crossgunners planning on the stealth stalk in the 16101 & 16105 zipcodes beware!

Better too far back, than too far forward.
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/10 18:54:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bronzeback2

That makes sense, would ease somewhat the flourescent orange confusion and if they included flintlocks which I think they would along with the inlines would give the dyed in the wool flinterlocker a better chance at antlers.

Yep.  One commissioner did make note of this for next springs seasons and bag limit meeting.

My rifle is a black rifle
Claypool313
Expert Angler
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/10 19:58:55 (permalink)
Claypool13, You are a little late with your prediction, Pa. already allows baiting in some areas.See page 17 in this years digest. I already have guys crying to me about how it is not fair to them that they are not allowed to bait also. sam

I stand corrected.  I was totally unaware of that one.  Apparently the 100,000 doe tags they issue there just ain't gettin it done alone.  So, let me re-phrase.  In 5-6 yrs baiting will be allowed everywhere in the state to some degree.  Not much of a prediction now though.
Claypool313
Expert Angler
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/10 20:02:23 (permalink)
the first hindend that starts sneaking around in my hunting area with his crossgun will be sorry. Archery is about the enjoyment of hunting deer that are less spooky than during rifle season, being in the woods with low hunting pressure and primarily stationary hunters. Crossgunners planning on the stealth stalk in the 16101 & 16105 zipcodes beware!

I know 120 acres in McKean Co that is going to be 100% x-bow free or up go the posted signs.
Claypool313
Expert Angler
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/10 20:09:42 (permalink)
I would be sort of OK with BOC proposing a one week flintlock antlered season in mid-Oct.  Anything beyond that is getting out of control.  Those sort of regs may work in the west with their lower hunter densities.  Get ready for madness if there's ever an early in-line antlered season in PA, yikes.

I dunno, is it just me?  How long until PA deer season is going to just be a free-for-all between velvet off and antler drops?  You got ammo for it?  Bring in on over and shoot a deer.  Get'em before they're all gone.  Tell your friends.
gooseman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/24 18:42:50 (permalink)
I just hope you guys are ready to share your bow hunting spots. I see it all the time over here in Ohio. They should have at least started out with a xbow season and not add them into the regular bow season.
Claypool313
Expert Angler
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/24 20:01:35 (permalink)
I don't plan on sharing with anyone except vertical bow hunters.
gooseman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/24 20:18:46 (permalink)
This is just a recent experience in Ohio that I've encountered :

One of the farms I've been hunting for over 10yrs was sold this past year. A friend and I were the only ones hunting it during this time. As soon as it was sold, 4 guys, all using xbows, have moved in. ALL of their stands are within 100yds of mine (they never scouted the woods at all). Not including my friend, I have 4 stands in these woods. The woods is only 80 acres......just my most recent experience with xbows.
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/24 21:20:07 (permalink)
The ones I've seen in Ohio just setup with a good rest for their crossgun overlooking a pile of corn and wait for whatever shows up. I doubt it will be much different here.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: