Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
  • Reward points: 0
2009/09/03 13:46:57 (permalink)

Well, you got your crossbow season

for those who dont follow HPA, results were a 4-4 vote and the crossbows stay.

oh how wonderful

59 Replies Related Threads

Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/03 14:11:10 (permalink)
    wHoo KaRes?

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/03 14:13:15 (permalink)
    u Tel CowBoY da igpen is Redee
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/03 15:52:57 (permalink)
    That sucks...The Blue Army will make it just like Ohio around here..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/03 16:02:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Pork

wHoo KaRes?

I agree with you Pork, who cares? I've been archery hunting now for 20 years I hear the same BS over and over again. Back in the day when compound bows came out, the recurve shooters would harp on us because "Compound archers weren't real hunters because there's no challenge in it." What happened, the recurve hunters began to buy compound bows. Next, some archers didn't use sights while others did. I got harped on about that. New bows came out where you had to use a release, so again, we got harped on about that too from the tab shooters. Now crossbows are legal to use. I know I'll get it again. I don't really care to much for crossbows but I am considering buying one. I live in town. It's difficult to shoot my bow when there's no room to shoot or cars in the drive way. It all comes down to the reason why you want to hunt. For me, it's not the weapon I use but rather the skills I learn. When I get a deer, that's the most for me. Beating a deer's senses and out smarting him is the goal,not the choice of weapon. This is my opinion.
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/03 22:10:39 (permalink)
    .....comeing to a stand near you!!!!!!ME!!!!!!!!
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 07:57:21 (permalink)
    I had actually forgot the vote was taking place yesterday.    Kinda nice.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 10:02:43 (permalink)
    i live in town, thats no excuse not to shoot, invite the neighbors
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 10:03:29 (permalink)
    take a look at this

notice anything?
    sugarfuzz12
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 11:51:14 (permalink)
    archery sales went up along with muzzleloader and general resident and nonresident licience

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 12:29:29 (permalink)
    PALS data is up to the second.  The old system relied on manual reporting of sales figures from agents and manual data entry.  Also, the antlerless schedule was moved up this year as well so many bought their licenses earlier.  A PGC official has said that the time lag of the old data is about 30 days behind.

A telling statistic is the increase of muzzleloader sales in this data.  Probably just supports the fact that a time based comparison between PALS and the old system is questionable.

The latest sales figures as of 8/31/09 show a 2.5% increase in archery license sales compared to the same point last year, according to good sources. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 15:29:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: carpin05

By all means, dont show up until a half hour after daylight, try to walk in on an actual deer trail, set up 30 yards from me, and smoke em if you got em!
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 16:12:40 (permalink)
    I think that the proponents of crossbows in the reg. season forget or don't know that 1 of the main reasons bow-hunters & blackpowder hunters got a special season in the first place was that these were primitive weapons that provided more recreation time with limited damage to the resource,ie.over harvest of the bucks during the rut especialy. It did take more dedication to become proficiant with those weapons & most of us gladly took on the extra challange. As these weapons become more & more sophisticated there is less reason to have a special season,especialy with the hunter density we have in Pa.The reason that the salesmen give of these new weapons adding more hunters to our ranks is dubious at best since most bowhunters & muzzlers also hunt with rifles already. Personaly when someone starts to tell me about the deer he got with an in-line or a crossbow I just shake my head & walk away. I really do think that these guys are killing the goose that laid the golden egg.A prime example,if any of you know about Jim Shockey & all the world records he beat with big game animals, look how many he shot after taking up an in-line & could shoot 200 + yds.  imo   sam
    Doboy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 16:31:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SmMouth Seeker

wHoo KaRes?

I agree with you Pork, who cares? I've been archery hunting now for 20 years I hear the same BS over and over again. Back in the day when compound bows came out, the recurve shooters would harp on us because "Compound archers weren't real hunters because there's no challenge in it." What happened, the recurve hunters began to buy compound bows. Next, some archers didn't use sights while others did. I got harped on about that. New bows came out where you had to use a release, so again, we got harped on about that too from the tab shooters. Now crossbows are legal to use. I know I'll get it again. I don't really care to much for crossbows but I am considering buying one. I live in town. It's difficult to shoot my bow when there's no room to shoot or cars in the drive way. It all comes down to the reason why you want to hunt. For me, it's not the weapon I use but rather the skills I learn. When I get a deer, that's the most for me. Beating a deer's senses and out smarting him is the goal,not the choice of weapon. This is my opinion.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!   Well said!
    I'm a member of a 2,000 member sportsman club in Western Pa. I was the first hunter to walk onto the property with a crossbow permit. Man did I get the flack!!   Now, dozens of kids that never showed interest in deer hunting, are interested and excited to try archery hunting/ even muzzelloading! 
    Any way, shape, or form, to get the youth of America in the hunting woods,,, WE WIN!!   TAKE A KID HUNTING/ FISHING.
    UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL!     STOP THE WHINNING!
    270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 347
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 16:43:12 (permalink)
    july figures are up because of the new doe license deadlines, when august comes out it will balance out, because last year they all flocked to wal mart in early august..show septembers figures and you still see a decline in adult hunters..my opinion..not in favor of  crossbows, too many will shoot it like a rifle and cripple more deer , would like to know the exact numbers of lost deer every year with a bow..
    bronzeback2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 17:35:24 (permalink)
     I think we'll find out more when the harvest figures come out, I went back to a recurve after years of using a compound my personal choice, and the first buck I took with it gave me a lot of personal satisfaction, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd rather not see them but in all honesty a lot of the guys who wanted to use them already had permits at least in my area, I worry more about the guy out there who wears out a ton of shoe leather scouting, one thing and probably the only thing I agreed with Alt on was the term alpha hunter, think there are some who put in the time and effort and have a higher success rate. I hope everyone no matter what there choice is limit themselves to ethical shots, I feel we owe that to the animal in the least.
    dstewart
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 17:47:03 (permalink)
    ive hunted in ohio for 2 years mainly during bow season.  from being in different shops and 2 gander mountains yea i see a number of people shooting crossbows but they where mostly guys that used to bow hunt and can no longer pull back a bow weather from age of injury.  still with them being allowed most guys that went out during bow season still used a compound.   right now theres a crossbow hype in pa because its legal. give it a few years and it will die down and some other new debatable fad will come through. sales are up and pa is making money they are gonna do whatever they can to make more weather i like it or you like it.  just my two cents
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 19:26:58 (permalink)
    My thoughts as of late is there will be a lot of people hunting with crossbows at first, then as those hunters realize the season is much tougher than the rifle season they are used to hunting, the numbers of crossguns in the woods will quickly decrease. Think of it this way, the people buying crossguns either don't have the time or the will to shoot a true bow and practice with it, or they would have bought a bow in the first place; therefore, the crossgunners won't have the time or the will to scout before season and will have limited success.

16506fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 21:41:24 (permalink)
    them crossbowers now arent any different than half the guys who archery hunt around here... walkn into gander mountain or any sports store and buying arrows or a bow a week before season.... and thats a fact
    dstewart
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 22:44:27 (permalink)
    i agree  16506
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 22:54:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 16506fish

them crossbowers now arent any different than half the guys who archery hunt around here... walkn into gander mountain or any sports store and buying arrows or a bow a week before season.... and thats a fact

I don't know any archery hunter that buys a bow a week before. I'm sure it happens, but not with half of archery hunters.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 22:55:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DanesDad

ORIGINAL: carpin05

By all means, dont show up until a half hour after daylight, try to walk in on an actual deer trail, set up 30 yards from me, and smoke em if you got em!

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 23:17:45 (permalink)
    Does anyone truly believe crossguns will increase the number of overall hunters in PA? Before the inclusion of crossguns was there anyone out there saying "I'd start hunting, but only if I can use a crossbow". We all know nobody was saying or thinking that.

I was talking to a local bow shop owner this past week who will reluctantly order a crossgun if someone asks. He told me he'd trade every penny he made on crossguns if they would just go away.

The first crossbower doing a drive underneath my treestand acting like he doesn't see me is getting my pee bottle dumped on his head.

It's time for bed, maybe i'll wake up in a better mood
    16506fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/04 23:38:34 (permalink)
    im not saying everyone is like that but just take a walk up around them places around that time and bet you walk around the archery dept. shaken your head
    dtorges@bowyers
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/06 09:25:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SmMouth Seeker

wHoo KaRes?

We're all entitled to opinions, of course. Those based upon fact and historical accuracy carry the weight. Yours don't.

I have no problem with anyone hunting with crossbows, but I have a real problem with them sharing an archery season that was fought for in the 20's and 30's of the last century by men who wanted an opportunity, not an advantage, who wanted to refine their skills, to take to the woods with the understanding that it was the process and the experience that was important. Men who worked hard at their sport, who learned the bow and arrow intimately, and not through some over-the-counter dollar bill transaction.

Put crossbows where they belong. With muzzle loaders or in the rifle season. They don't belong in archery season because they are antithetical to everything the original archery seasons stood for.

And oh, you aren't beating a deer's senses, as you claim. You are buying into archery manufacturers' smoke sold to you at their profit so you can take shortcuts, so you don't have to work at learning how to outsmart a deer. So go buy some scent blocking suit to go with that crossbow, and make sure to put a scope on that crossbow, too. If you sit there long enough, I'm sure you can find other shortcuts, too, some that might even bring the deer to you. Beats hunting them with a bow and arrow, doesn't it?

Tell me, SmMouth Seeker, if it's not the weapon but the skills you learn, what archery skills do you hone with a crossbow? What is the reason you hunt? What effort do you put into archery hunting?

Long live the dollar bill and its ability to foster self-deception and to undermine sport.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/06 09:46:48 (permalink)
    Amen, dtorges.  It's new laws like this inclusion that make me more and more cynical of our game commission's commitment to act in the best interests of the state's wildlife.  The 'almighty dollar' is correct, and not much is going to come from increase license sales or participation...my opinion.  Full inclusion will bring more harm than good.  Some folks will use it wisely and ethically, while others will abuse it to it's fullest extent.  The extreme potential for abuse is what seems to escape our lawmakers.
    dtorges@bowyers
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/06 10:01:32 (permalink)
    PS, Pork, some of us care deeply. We don't have much defense or much chance against those who don't.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/06 11:25:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dtorges@bowyers

We're all entitled to opinions, of course. Those based upon fact and historical accuracy carry the weight. Yours don't.

I have no problem with anyone hunting with crossbows, but I have a real problem with them sharing an archery season that was fought for in the 20's and 30's of the last century by men who wanted an opportunity, not an advantage, who wanted to refine their skills, to take to the woods with the understanding that it was the process and the experience that was important. Men who worked hard at their sport, who learned the bow and arrow intimately, and not through some over-the-counter dollar bill transaction.

Put crossbows where they belong. With muzzle loaders or in the rifle season. They don't belong in archery season because they are antithetical to everything the original archery seasons stood for.

And oh, you aren't beating a deer's senses, as you claim. You are buying into archery manufacturers' smoke sold to you at their profit so you can take shortcuts, so you don't have to work at learning how to outsmart a deer. So go buy some scent blocking suit to go with that crossbow, and make sure to put a scope on that crossbow, too. If you sit there long enough, I'm sure you can find other shortcuts, too, some that might even bring the deer to you. Beats hunting them with a bow and arrow, doesn't it?

Tell me, SmMouth Seeker, if it's not the weapon but the skills you learn, what archery skills do you hone with a crossbow? What is the reason you hunt? What effort do you put into archery hunting?

Long live the dollar bill and its ability to foster self-deception and to undermine sport.

....just thought this one deserved a quote.

270wbmag
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 347
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/06 11:25:58 (permalink)
    thank past pgc commish, sheidlin for crosbows, bet he got a nice kik back from horton/tenpoint..he did not give a crap, he was leaving office.. now we got another loser, commish from new castle..keep crossbows out of archery woods..except by permit for disabled..
    SmMouthSeeker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: Well, you got your crossbow season 2009/09/06 20:11:40 (permalink)
    dtorges,
    It all comes down to the reason why you want to hunt. For me, it's not the weapon I use but rather the skills I learn. When I get a deer, that's the most for me. Beating a deer's senses and out smarting him is the goal,not the choice of weapon. This is my opinion.

(in reply to Pork)
    Post #: 5

Reread this!!! Nowhere did I say the skill is in using the weapon. Keep this in mine, Webster's Universal College Dictionary defines skill as 1. The ability to do something well or experienced in work that requires skill 2. Special competence in performance; expertness; dexterity. 3. A craft, trade, or job requiring manual dexterity or special training.

Like I said, I've been archery hunting for over 20 years, do you think I may know something about deer hunting? I've always said, Archery hunter's are the true hunters in the woods. Anybody can buy a hunting license and shoot an animal with a gun. WOW, where's the skill in that? Not that I have to defend myself to you, but I will give an answer to your post.

I've put in my time. I shot what seems like hundreds of arrows and I've spent many hours in the woods and I read books in order to improve my skills. Yes, I do read. How many people know how to use topo maps to look for terrain traps,rent an airplane to scout out new woods, or know how to use a compass? I even own a gps and I use my computer to find info. Are you going harp on me about that too? Don't answer,I don't care.

You asked, "where's the skill in using a crossbow." Think about it, there isn't much, but things can still go wrong. Every Archery hunter knows what I'm talking about. I'm sure you do too. I'm guessing you have some experience shooting a bow? Come to think about it, where's the skill in using a bow? You're sooo worried about crossbow being uneithical, bows have advanced so far in technology, they too are almost like shooting a gun.

I also said,"I don't like compound bows but I'm considering buying one." That's true, I don't. Like I implied,the reward is in the kill, not the chosen weapon.

As for your question as to why I hunt, isn't it ovious? It's the kill. There's no denying that one. That's why you and me are out there. DUH!!! You can't tell me other wise. I don't use those scent covering garments or use cover scent, but some how,for some reason I still get'em.

One last thing, you oppose the idea of a compound season mixed into regular archery. Get over it, it's going to happen rather you like it or not. There's nothing you can do about it but accept it.

This is the last time I'm going to address this issue. What burns me the most is the fact you didn't join this site until you saw my post then you falsely accuse me in so many ways. The only thing you occomplished is what my post was originally about,"Archery hunters are always being harped on." I apologize to you in every way if I offend you or anyone else. I don't wish to be enemys with anyone. You went around this the wrong way with me.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: