Price of a license

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2583
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/14 12:19:26 (permalink)
North Georgia is a beautiful place. 

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
- T. Fleming
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/16 00:25:46 (permalink)
My combo was $37...I still think its a shame that I pay nearly as much for my PA resident license as I do for out of state OH & NY which are $40.  I still buy them year in and year out nonetheless and take full advantage of them.  Not whining, just wondering.  Maybe the other states should be charging me more? 
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2009/01/16 00:38:28

rapala11
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6218
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/16 00:37:33 (permalink)
i really wish ohio had the same fishing and hunting opportunities that yunz have in pa.  you have more streams, more gamelands, and more access than we do in the flatlands.  when i buy a resident or non-resident license, i look at the pleasure that it will bring me over a season.  again, what my wife and i have paid for a dinner out is almost the price of my pa non-rez license.  the dinner is gone in an hour, the license last much longer.   

ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/16 01:06:04 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: rapala11

i really wish ohio had the same fishing and hunting opportunities that yunz have in pa.  you have more streams, more gamelands, and more access than we do in the flatlands.  when i buy a resident or non-resident license, i look at the pleasure that it will bring me over a season.  again, what my wife and i have paid for a dinner out is almost the price of my pa non-rez license.  the dinner is gone in an hour, the license last much longer.   

I both hunt and fish in OH...you may have less public access for hunting, but the quality of game IMO is much better and there are many private land owners in OH who welcome hunters, even from PA.  As far as fishing opportunities, I guess it depends on where you're doing it and what you're fishing for....OH has far more Lake Erie and tributary opportunities by far.  Due to land mass along Erie, I know, but still more.  As many muskie fishing opportunities, more walleye opportunities, lets not even mention steelhead waters....For me and what I target and where, OH has as many, if not more fishing oppotunities.  PA certainly has more trout fishing waters, but thats about it. 

We've been over this debate a thousand times and I don't want to get it started here, but I must say that they are doing things right over in OH with their management concerning fish, game, access and facilities.  I'm speaking only through my own experiences....I have fished in many states in the US and Canada and can truely say that PA ranks close to the bottom as far as overall fishery and facilties management is concerned.  Yes, the trout fishery here is great, I'm talking about all gamefish combined.  Keep in mind, that this is coming from a multi species fisherman.  And I know whats some are about to say "Then you should just move" right?  NO, I was born and raised here and I'll continue to live here and support and do my part as much as I can.  My heart is in PA and I know the potential that lies right here.  I'm just telling it the way I see it through my personal experiences, so don't take it personal.  It is obvious that our state generates more money than most of the others.  So I simply think that as far as management for species other that just trout and access(especially to lake Erie) could and should be better.  All I'm saying is spread the wealth.

Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/16 07:49:23 (permalink)
All I'm saying is spread the wealth.

*GASP!*

These guys will string you up for saying that...
rapala11
Pro Angler
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/16 09:14:48 (permalink)
shut, i like pa.s tribs better.  personal choice.  we have extremely over-crowded public hunting.  sometimes it is real hard in the ne section to get access to private land.  i know our deer are bigger, but we see few grouse and pheasants here anymore.  you're right about our stretch of erie being bigger too, but few of us in our circle fish it anymore.  lol....try to find a fly shop in ohio.......we may have half a dozen in the whole state.  

rapala11
Pro Angler
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/16 09:16:13 (permalink)
shut, you know what it is....pa sportsman (only my opinion) seem more in tune with what they are doing.  again, only my opinion.

RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2583
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/16 10:39:13 (permalink)
Shut,

I agree with almost everything you said.  Until you have spent significant time fishing and hunting in other states, you don't realize that PA is inferior in most ways.  The state stocks a bunch of pelletheads, but that is about the only way it is superior.  I had licenses from 13 states last year and I have fished in 30+ states and Canada and I too, would rank PA near the bottom, but like you, I was born and raised here and intend to stay...  

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
- T. Fleming
euphoboy
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/16 12:14:38 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: rippinlip

GA has some killer mountain trout streams. I saw a flyfishing show a couple years back on the tube. Can't remember the name of the stream. If it comes to me I'll post it.

It was probably Dukes Creek. That place is ridiculous from what I've read online. Only about an hour away from me too. First place I've ever seen that has designated fishing days. I think you can only fish it Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.

Have you ever been on a real shrimpn' boat? No, but I've been on a real big boat!
rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2146
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/16 15:30:53 (permalink)
That might be it. I'll have to rack my brain and try to remember the name.Maybe close to the Smoky mountains?? Anywho,it was a medium size stream with some good holes, and the trout were HUGE. I got a friend who lives on Lookout Mountain, maybe I'll give him a shout.  

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
Meatball
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/26 20:23:11 (permalink)
Gee whiz, haven't been here in a while and now I realize why. Some things never change, lol. Who is the cowboy? What a freaking whiner. If this state doesn't meet your professional fishing expectations than why are you here? Good lord, the fishing doesn't get much better (or easier)

Hats off to the commission for doing a great job, as usual, and like I said back in the Sept/ Oct '97 issue of the Pa angler mag mail column, I think the fishing license is worth five times it currently is. A youth license is a great idea. Someone has to give a sh*t when all the old guys die....

A little responsibility isn't such a bad thing. "I can't afford it" is bullsh*t

If you can afford to have a kid, you can afford five bucks. Or is that somehow the government's responseability too... Just think, our govt can swing the cost of abortions, surely it can buy a youth license with fewer kids around.....shame on me....too political, lol.....

Hey Ironhed, where did you catch Moby in your avatar? Nice pic.
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/26 21:04:23 (permalink)
Holy hell!  Hello Meatball!!!
That's just a 50# 'but from Cooks Inlet out of Ninilchik.

Ironhed
KISHWAA
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 899
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/26 21:25:35 (permalink)
cost me 38.40 that sucks and all i get for it is guys throwing steelhed and 7 inch trout boo pa
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/26 21:35:21 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: euphoboy

...Great numbers of native browns and rainbows....

there are no native browns and bows

maybe some hold-overs or wild
chromewrangler
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/26 22:49:41 (permalink)
i dont mind the price of a license as most have said you can use it all year long, at your leisure, as often as you want 7 days a week...for 40 bucks...and i didn't like the idea of the jr license until reading this thread..and it actually does have alot of positive aspects to it.  That being said, i think the jrs should have a few opportunities afforded to them such as youth fishing days so on and so forth..
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to: