Price of a license

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/11 02:20:08 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Have any of you even LOOKED at the youth license proposal. before railing against it? First off they are proposing a FIVE dollar fee, NOT $40. Second, the money is to be directed toward new youth angling program ( what's happening now isn't working, why not TRY somehing new ). Third, enforcement will NOT be directed toward citation, but rather toward education of the program. Those who cannot "afford" $5 ( hahh ), will be directed toward clubs, and organizations which can purchase bulk licenses for such cases.

Now, if Johnny wants to fish, but you balk over $5, then you're an**** and a fool who would rather let the "tube" babysit, than share time with your child.

Thanks Spoon.

Ironhed
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/11 02:33:25 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: rollcaster

Iornhed, what about all the young kids (12-15) that have noone. I am sure there are lots of kids that age that dont have anyone to pay for a license and like to fish. Mabey by theirself with an old pole someone gave him. Are you going to pay for his youth license? I guess he shouldn't fish. I bet you are the type of person that would fine him. A youth license is bullsh*t.

You're **** right I would pay for him/her and any child that showed an interest in the sport.

I understand it's kinda apples-pineapples but does anyone remember the sense of responsibilty they felt when they got their first hunting license?  How about a drivers license? 

These proposed programs would help do nothing but help the youth that don't have the direction that most have.

"I bet you are the type of person that would fine him."
No but please become a little more educated before you make useless comments.(see quote)

Ironhed
post edited by Ironhed - 2009/01/11 02:34:19
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4012
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 09:12:12 (permalink)
I have two kids, a 29 month old daughter (already loves to go fishing with mom and dad and is constantly asking to go fishing on daddy's boat again) and an 8 month old boy.  I will gladly pay $5 for them to fish when they turn 12 if the regulation ever gets enacted.  I will also get them into the mentored youth hunting program as soon as I think they are ready and if they are willing and show an interest.

Another small benefit of the $5 fee (in addition to the increased funding for youth programs) is it will help the PAFBC gauge the overall pressure on the state's resources by putting a number to that age bracket. 

Just my $.02 and I will be done with this thread.

Came across a little harsh myself Cold at times and hope there aren't any hard feelings. 

Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 09:49:47 (permalink)
Came across a little harsh myself Cold at times and hope there aren't any hard feelings. 

No worries, man.  It's frustrating when you feel you're making a valid point, and it isnt received as you'd hoped.  The part that counts is not letting it get to you.

As far as the child license fee, I'm not so much opposed to the fee itself as I am against the idea of the fee.  I'm not so stingy that it'd keep me from taking a kid fishing, in fact, my new years resolution (among others) is to introduce a kid to the sport, but if that fee keeps even one kid from fishing, its not worth it, IMHO.
fruntz
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 10:40:33 (permalink)
If memory serves me correctly, the subject of youth license was covered in quite detail over the past few years.  My two cents is in favor.  Reasoning is that it gives kids sense of responsibility and participation.  Please don't argue this point with me unless you ask a few kids if they would like to have a license like mom or dad.  Also, lets face facts; for kids under 16, parents would be forking over the money for the license in return for chores (teaches responsibility) or as a gift.   Also;  Perhaps a new twist for those in favor, clubs, and Fish commiss. to get this moving forward by putting your toes in the water before jumping all teh way in.   On fish comm web site have a official junior license template available to print (or people, just go ahead and make your own for your kid.  Just scan your license, and modify it to say offcial junior license and print it out).  Other option might be to have a little Official Junior License tag that fish comm officers could pass out at shows or at any time they encounter kids fishing.  My two cents worth.  Also, PG had article concerning fish comm costs over his weekend.  have a great next few months getting your gear ready for this spring. 
kingnuke32
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1863
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 10:40:49 (permalink)
In Michigan they have a 2$ voluntary youth license donation. IMO most true sportsman would donate the 2$ for a kid to fish. I am not sure where the $$ goes but it was something I noticed when I was getting my MI license online.
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 12:09:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: kingnuke32

In Michigan they have a 2$ voluntary youth license donation. IMO most true sportsman would donate the 2$ for a kid to fish. I am not sure where the $$ goes but it was something I noticed when I was getting my MI license online.

My kid would LOVE to have a fishin license (he always makes sure Dad has his b4 leaving). For mentored youth hunting I made him one on the computer. It made him feel pretty important.

I think a voluntary license for kids is a fantastic idea. ESPECIALLY if they use those funds for youth promotion.
I'd pay.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
euphoboy
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 12:25:41 (permalink)
I bought my Georgia license and trout stamp the other day...... $14.00 for annual resident. (And that includes salt-water fishing)

Have you ever been on a real shrimpn' boat? No, but I've been on a real big boat!
kingnuke32
Pro Angler
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 12:53:15 (permalink)
How many trout does the state of GA stock? How many other species of gamefish?
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2583
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 12:55:16 (permalink)
The state of GA has great "native" trout fishing.  They don't waste as much of your money putting a bunch of pelletheads in drainage ditches...  They stock some, but nothing like PA 
post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/01/12 12:58:48

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
- T. Fleming
kingnuke32
Pro Angler
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 13:08:14 (permalink)
Most anglers who buy licenses in PA don't look at stocking as a "waste" of money. The PFBC is going to do what they can to appease the masses because thats where their revenue comes from.
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 13:19:57 (permalink)
Tell me why an in-state PA license w/ trout stamp, etc. is $37 and an in-state NY is $19?  NY stocks a bunch of pelletheads, too....

Non-resident NY is virtually the same price as a resident PA ($40 vs. $37)
post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/01/12 13:24:54

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
- T. Fleming
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 13:26:32 (permalink)
Because the PF&BC is fully funded by license sales. The DEC in NY recieves tax monies as well. they still pay, just through other avenues. They also pay, through decreased autonomy in their wildlife agencies.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 13:28:09 (permalink)
If you lived in NY as a non-angler, you'd be whining that YOUR tax monies are being "wasted" on something you don't benefit from.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 13:31:20 (permalink)
There's Spoonchucker to step in and defend government at every turn.  Seems like there is always a valid reason why this state is screwing you over.  The state should hire you as its PR director.  No matter what type of sham or nonsense the state tries to pull over on people, you can justify it...

Wake up and realize you are being had.  My only guess is that you must draw your paycheck from the Commonwealth, or you just revel in being a contrarian.  Either way, its ridiculous. 

You are what Stalin described as a "useful idiot"
post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/01/12 13:43:13

- T. Fleming
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 13:47:49 (permalink)
Seems like YOU blame the government for all your "misfortune". I might find fault IF I felt I was being "screwed over", I dON'T. I put on average at least 200 day a year on SOME water, and don't even begin to TOUCH all the opportunities available to me in Penna.

You suggest using PF&BC monies to restore "native" fisheries. But at the same time, you are of the drill now drill here, there, everywhere mentality. You would have the evil government "get out of the way" and let the oil/gas companies drill anywhere they want, and the coal companies mine, and strip every lump of coal ( and burn it all ). How will that fit into your "restoration" program. Don't forget to cut all the timber as well.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 13:56:37 (permalink)

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 13:58:39 (permalink)
You're fiddling while Rome burns.  If you don't understand that the government, at all levels, constantly screws you over, then you just can't be helped.  I pity you.  That is unless you draw your pay from the government, then you are part of the problem and I can then understand why you want to continue your racket.  That would make you immoral and corrupt, only.  Not stupid.

And as for what you said about my environmental views, I have never said anything of the kind.  You must have me confused with someone else.
post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/01/12 14:04:26

- T. Fleming
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 14:06:58 (permalink)
I'm fine paying whatever for a license.  I however feel for the guy who doesn't make much, and still loves to fish.  Also, the 5 dollar 12-15 year old kids license isn't that bad of an idea, good way to guage the amount of participation in that age bracket, maybe have an early weekend of trout just for kids or something.  We definately need to get more kids interested in the outdoors.  Maybe propose more outdoors/wildlife/camping/whatever clubs designed for kids.  Remember that they are the future of our sport, and without numbers we lose representation.
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 14:09:16 (permalink)
Yeah, I really took it it in the arse when they created Moraine state park. I just hate having to catch all those Stripers, Walleye, and Channels.

Actually I DO kinda hate catching the channels.

There are plenty of faults with government at all levels. But not so much that I am blind to it's benefits as well. The grass not always greener on the other side, some times it's weeds.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 14:11:05 (permalink)
"Maybe propose more outdoors/wildlife/camping/whatever clubs designed for kids."

Get involved, and DO something besides whine? NEVER!

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
RhnstnCowboy
Pro Angler
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 14:23:04 (permalink)
I'm sure the landowners who were forced to "sell" their land think Lake Arthur was a great idea...  Thats ok, though.  It benefits you, so thats all that matters. 

- T. Fleming
SlipperySmitt
  • Total Posts : 403
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 20:02:20 (permalink)
This thread is going bad in a quick way it seems..... But good debate. I will tell you this, Spoon is not on the gov's dime! He may be living as he can or choses, but you or I will never want to get to Spoons fishing time in the way he has! Don't even go there!

If this thread lives, I hope you will get it back on topic. Its about a license, not how one lives! And obviously you don't understand the concept of a youth license! I was going to and will go into this further, later, but even Spoon missed some of the points about this, or perhaps things has cahnged since I was in/knew some of how it would work.

Bottom line, it has more than just a kid paying $5.00: pack of cigs a year, 2 bottles of soda a year, etc.... And they get to feel proud about having something they have to have displayed on there hat/coat, like they're dad/pap does... No different than what the game boys have done for years, only this is better!!!

Smitty

Smitty
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/12 20:21:20 (permalink)
"I'm sure the landowners who were forced to "sell" their land think Lake Arthur was a great idea..."

And the lanowners who will not be allowed to "develope" THEIR land as they choose to preserve or restore your "native fisheries? How will they feel?

Smitty, this IS largely about licenses. Cowboy SOMEHOW fels cheated in his purchase, I feel it's a bargain. Rather than look at what's missing, I prefer to look at all that is there.

Penna. has it's faults, no more, or less than any other state ( if you take an informed, and objective look ), but it also has many virtues. I've traveled every state in the union, and there are few I would prefer to live in. And THAT prefernce relates to to a singular "priority", rather than OVERALL favorability.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/13 01:11:54 (permalink)
I could write some nosense in here but I won't. Though the purpose of writing nonsense could make perfect sense.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
Mountian Man
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4118
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/13 01:19:08 (permalink)
But seriously the $5 youth license doesn't exist it was an idea.  No reason to slit each others throats over an idea.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2146
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/13 09:03:38 (permalink)
I think the Fish Commission is doing a stand-up job. While I may not agree with everything they do,I have noticed that they are trying to listen to and a lot of times, cater to what the people want .It is impossible to please everyone. They have tried public input through surveys, apperances,throwing out ideas [like the youth liscense] etc.There are a lot of miles of stream fishing water in PA., and and many lakes. I feel fortunate to live here and count my blessings. There are so many places to go, and different species to fish for, sometimes it hard to choose. People in some other states would kill to be in that situation.With fishing areas rapidly being posted and developed, I am thankfull they are constantly fighting to acquire new recreation and fishing areas for us and future generations.I don't want to come off as President of the Spoon chucker Fan Club, but him and people like Stillhead and many others on this board belong to oragnizations striving to improve our situation.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
SlipperySmitt
  • Total Posts : 403
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/13 10:27:42 (permalink)
Does anyone remember the PFBC's youth prgram PLAY? Remember when you had to pay for it? I think it was like $2 a year, now its free. I paid for it myself until I hit the age limit and was more than happy to do so, think it was my first subscription to anything. When I was paying it was during the 80's, and $2 was more than what $5 is now. $2 didn't make or break a kid then, nor will $5 now. The benifits of the license far outweigh those of PLAY (though not dismissing it at all.)

I don't think its been mentioned here yet, but the last I knew the feds would match the $5 license as they do to an extent with all of our adult licenses. The way I understand it, the federal grants we all benifit from are a result in part of how many license and boat registrations are sold. This matching money would go to furthur getting the youth who may not have the oppritunity, interested in our sport. Thus creating another license buyer for the future which in-turns replaces the ones we lose every-year.  

Lets face it, those of us posting on these boards, who have or will have kids, willl probably get they're children into the sport regardless of a youth license. The programs this will create, probably won't be of much direct benifit to people here. It will benifit those who don't have a neighbor, parent, uncle, etc... that will introduce them to the sport. That is what they call "Price-Less.)

Ya Spoon, I know its largly been about the license, but you know how things tend to stray sometimes rather quickly and ruin a good debate.

Smitty 
euphoboy
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/14 11:44:32 (permalink)
I've only been here a few years, so I'm not very familiar with stockings and so forth. I do know that the native trout fishing here is quite good. A buddy and I found and awesome native trout stream about an hour and a half from Atlanta and couldn't believe the fish we were catching last week. Great numbers of native browns and rainbows. I know they do significant stocking on the Chattahoochee River, but they've stopped stocking browns in recent years to do a study on their natural reproducing. They seem to be taking to the river well. In the last to weeks the fish commission has shocked up a 15lb+ and a 17lb+ brown.

As for other species, I couldn't really tell you too much. I was excited about fishing largemouth when I moved to the south. I was surprised that almost every lake is full of stripers and hybrids. If people are going "bass fishing", they mean striper fishing. I'd assume these are stocked fish as well, but again I'd need to look into it.

Another thing that shocked me about GA licenses... my buddy from the 'burgh came down and got a 7 day out-of-state. He paid a whopping $7 for it.

Have you ever been on a real shrimpn' boat? No, but I've been on a real big boat!
rippinlip
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2146
RE: Price of a license 2009/01/14 12:18:05 (permalink)
GA has some killer mountain trout streams. I saw a flyfishing show a couple years back on the tube. Can't remember the name of the stream. If it comes to me I'll post it.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to: