keeping drys floating

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Match The Hatch
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 75
  • Reward points: 0
RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/21 18:16:22 (permalink)
Vest pads are garbage, when I first started fly fishing back in the day i started off using them, but your flies get all tangled up in it.  They just create a huge hastle, now i just use morrell fly boxes, they float, stayed closed, and its more convenient than a chest pad.
Flyguy638
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/21 19:23:27 (permalink)
Good topic' Here's what I know
(1) Old days we used to carry aroud parafin wax and a small container of white gas in a modified 35mm film container. Simply shave off a few slivers of wax into white gas and it made pretty good floatant,problem is obvious, white gas is wicked around flames ie smoking.
(2) scotch guard or Rain-x sprayed , then put on news paper to dry over night.
(3) Abolene(spelling?) Its makeup remover fould in all drug stores, works well.
BUT MY CHOICES are as follows. I really like Frogs Fanny, problem it is expensive
Some sports shops but most archery shops sell a product called :
Feather-Dri by Bohning co. Tel# 231-229-4247. This stuff is exactly the same Frogs Fanny. It was originally made to dry fletchings and you get a huge container for 7.99.And once the fly gets wet I use a Amadou dry fly patch(google it)sort looks like a shammy , but is a dried out fungus thing. It dries the fly quickly,Then I use the fletch dry by dropping fly in container and shake it hard(then flick off excess). The next step is optional but I have a small brush applicator and paint the fletch dri into all parts of the fly. Its a little time consumming and the applicator may be abit much BUT I gotta tell you it's the best
post edited by Flyguy638 - 2009/07/21 19:29:44
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/21 20:45:03 (permalink)
harry, et al.

I also use the loon top ride powder/silica canister to "recharge" a fly that's been moistened, or slimed by a fish. You apply your favorite gel/paste/magic spell beforehand, then when it starts to get wet, put the end of your tippet (fly attach) in the canister, hold the lid gently closed (there's a little notch to avoid crimping your tippet), and give it a quick, inverted shake.

Like fly guy's shake-on, you get some excess, but a false cast eliminates it nicely.

Once it first gets wet though, you're fighting uphill. The shake-on helps, but it helps less and less each time. Best thing you can do is temporarily replace it with an identical fly until it dries. I had a few days this year where the action was so consistent, i rotated three parachute adams to ensure I had a dry one on at all times.
Flyguy638
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/21 20:57:32 (permalink)
Good to point that out Cold. Theres no better thing than a fresh fly, sorta like the first spit of a good chew , it doesn't get much better than that
A fly will get to that saturation point and your right, it simply needs rest
post edited by Flyguy638 - 2009/07/21 20:59:47
duncsdad
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 515
RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/22 08:39:40 (permalink)
I don't understand the issue with keeping a properly construct dry made with good materials floating. 

As an example, yesterday I fished a Class A that I had not been on in many, many years.  When leaving the vehicle, I tied on a #16 Adams that was made with old Metz hackle (I haven't tied in about 15 years, so I don't know if Bucky still is the king of quality hackle or not, but when this three hackle fly was tied, it was as good as it got), and gave it a dose of Gink.

I fished with that fly for about 3 hours.  During that time I caught 10 wild fish (one was actually a very nice about 9" brookie), got hung up on roots under undercut banks, was in the trees a couple of times, was in the weeds a couple of times, etc., and when I finished fishing, the same fly was still floating high and dry without any further dressing beyond the initial Gink application.

I have fished some heavy hatches on the Little J and have had to change far more flies because either the fish finally knocked them apart or I broke a thread or something with the hemostats vs. the fly not floating anymore.

I always but a slight end in my hook to aid in hooking fish and there are a number of flies in my boxes that have the slight twist in them.  That means that some of these flies have been tied on numerous times and have probably caught several fish on each occasion with the only treatment being some fresh Gink when first knotted onto the leader.

The most I have had to do is reapply some Gink if several large fish in a short period of time kept the fly underwater for an unusual amount of time.

I don't see the issue.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/22 08:59:10 (permalink)
The dubbed bodies of your flies never get waterlogged? What's your secret?!
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2987
RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/22 10:12:40 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: duncsdad
The most I have had to do is reapply some Gink if several large fish in a short period of time kept the fly underwater for an unusual amount of time.

That's the problem. especially when they are taking bouncing caddis and they want it high and dry. Too flush or just one too many hackle barbs breaking the surface and they turn away. You go to cast-skit-drift-skit and the only thing above the water is the wing.

BTW, I use to use that 3-hackle fly quite a bit but can't remember the 3 original colors.  Cream-Dun and Brown???Can you help?
post edited by dano - 2009/07/23 07:34:27
harrypelles
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1007
RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/22 20:26:21 (permalink)
Well folks. I got out just a little bit ago and gave the Gink a try. I really like it. Not as easy as a spray, but it is a heck of a lot less wasteful. The excess spray might be justified if you're coating a whole table full of flies, but for just a dozen or so, the Gink is great. The Gink lasted a 16 caddis through a couple of takes and pretty much all of the nibble/playing that would normally dunk an uncoated dry.

Tried the Mucilin (green) also. I'll tell you what, keeping the leader/tippet and top of the fly like out of the water makes things SOOOooo much easier. It doesn't dunk the fly when you pick up and it allows for better skid-stripping. I'm sold. It cuts waaay down on the false casts for drying - by at least a factor of ten.

Thanks for the help to everyone with input. I really appreciate it.
PeteM
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 539
RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/22 21:14:07 (permalink)
What is gink?

I use this stuff from Cortland, dab, that seems to work very well.

jimhalupka
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1058
RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/22 22:32:43 (permalink)
goooooogllleeeee

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
harrypelles
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1007
RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/23 00:53:46 (permalink)
George Gehrke's Gink Floatant

I emailed fishusa to ask if they carried it (it wasn't in the store). They said that they could get it for me by the case, but not the individual bottles for sale. I suggested that they might want to consider selling it online (individual bottles) as it seems to be a popular choice around here.

I picked up a bottle at a local fly shop today.
post edited by harrypelles - 2009/07/23 00:55:05
Cold
Pro Angler
RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/23 07:55:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jimhalupka

goooooogllleeeee

But why do a little research myself when I can pester someone else?

(Sorry, Pete, just messin with ya.)
duncsdad
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 515
RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/23 13:41:11 (permalink)
Dano,

When I was referring to a 3 hackle dry, it deals with construction, not color.  It is a traditional Catskill tie.  All three hackles are tied in at the same place.  The first hackle is wound completely behind the wings, except for one turn in front of the wings.  The second hackle is evenly wound behind and in front of the wings.  And the third hackle has one wind behind the wings and the rest in front of the wings.  This gives a balance of hackle tips behind and in front of the wings; because the tips are wound first, it places the longer barbs to the front; by having the longer bards to the front, this aids in making the three water contact points the hackle tips, the hook bend, and the tail; which in turn means that the type of dubbing material and it getting wet doesn't matter -- it never touches the water.

When a fish or several fish have soaked the fly, about 3 or 4 whipping false casts, at a speed approaching cracking -- about 3 feet of flyline and the leader long will shake water off enough to reapply Gink and make the fly float hight and dry.

As for Caddis, I typically use either elk wing or an elk wing with CDC as an under wing.  I seem to have more success with a low riding caddis, so I actually trim the hackle flush on the bottom.  And even though it is considered a big no-no, I use Gink with CDC underwing flies.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
PeteM
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 539
RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/23 20:39:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Cold

ORIGINAL: jimhalupka

goooooogllleeeee

But why do a little research myself when I can pester someone else?

(Sorry, Pete, just messin with ya.)

Whats Gooooooogllleeeee?

Is it like gink or dab?

Is it safe for Teh Children?javascript:void(AddText('[:\'(]'))

Oh back on topic,

I've been doing parachute caddis lately using 2 hackle feathers on the parachute and building a tiny bit of thread at the base of the chute. A few extra turns of thread on both sides of the quill before starting the palmering lifts it up off of the shank a bit and sits the body of the fly down in the water.

The 2 hackles give it a nice dense chute that floats very well and suspends droppers like a mofo.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: