Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Beedhed
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 45
  • Reward points: 0
2007/06/10 14:54:20 (permalink)

keeping drys floating

Having a tough time keeping drys on top.Recently I've been using this silicone powder stuff made by cortland.Definitly not helping.I understand once a fish takes fish slime will become an issue.

What if anything does anyone use to help keeping them floating??

Sorry false casting for 30 seconds or more to dry the thing out doesn't cut it when there's good action on top.

Thanks for any tips .

43 Replies Related Threads

clearwater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/10 15:12:24 (permalink)
    frogs fanny silicone powder works well, i like the good old gink. is your leader pulling the fly under had this happen with some leaders. also some dries float way better than others. due to the materials they are tyed with.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/10 20:03:47 (permalink)
    Newbie advice here...

Frogs fanny and liquid floatant only do so much.  You've got to let it dry after a while.  Hook it in your patch to really dry out, switch to a different fly, and release as many as you can, 'cause if they're takin, you'll be hookin' with a fresh, floatin' fly.

Oh, one other thing...

Don't tie dries on a nymph hook.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/10 21:37:43 (permalink)
    Beedhead,
          Since I insist that all my dry flies be tied with a little, tiny, inflatable bladder under the body I just carry a tiny bottle of helium with me and reinflate every so often.  OK, now the real truth.  I like to coat my leader with a waxy substance, like the oldtimers.  I use regular lip balm, or I will carry a bees wax candle piece to coat my leader.  Then the leader won't drag.  For the flies,  liquid silicone, or chapstick on the body .  The best method for drying flies is what you have already been told;  replace the fly with another and hang it on your vest.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/10 22:53:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Beedhead,
        Since I insist that all my dry flies be tied with a little, tiny, inflatable bladder under the body I just carry a tiny bottle of helium with me and reinflate every so often.  OK, now the real truth.  I like to coat my leader with a waxy substance, like the oldtimers.  I use regular lip balm, or I will carry a bees wax candle piece to coat my leader.  Then the leader won't drag.  For the flies,  liquid silicone, or chapstick on the body .  The best method for drying flies is what you have already been told;  replace the fly with another and hang it on your vest.

I do the same. Not the helium but treating my leader and flyline tip.  
    Usually when your leader starts to sink, it can pull the fly under. You start to make a backcast while your leader is sunk and the fly follows the sunken  leader

On the flies, I use Gink or Frogs Fanny. Frogs Fanny seems to make the fly ride higher but doesn't last as long as Gink.
    post edited by dano - 2007/06/10 22:54:16

Gone Fishing
    jaybo
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/11 23:36:49 (permalink)
    I agree, Frog's Fanny does not last long but it keeps the fly riding high.  Gink lasts longer, so it's a trade off.  I also treat my leader and a few false casts seem to help.  If I still can't get the fly to ride up where I want it to, then I'll change.  Sometimes though, riding just below the surface I've gotten hits, especially when bugs seem to be emerging. 
    Beedhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/12 06:48:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies I had some Gink before but I couldn't remember the name of the stuff.Must be age creeping up on me.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/12 23:37:58 (permalink)
    I hear this question often while i'm guiding. I think the advice given so far is good.

I use frogs fanny to dry my flies, and gink to keep them floating. In warmer weather, gink will penetrate you fly clear to the hook shank, and seems to work better than anything else on the market.

After a few fish, nothing will float your fly well. At this point, tie on a new fly.

If your leader or line is pulling your fly under, try silicone mucilin, it will help you line and leader float better, and help you mend your line/leader more effectively.

Hope that helps.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/13 10:29:44 (permalink)
    Beedhed,
         One more thing I forgot:  Some automotive supply stores sell spray silicone.  100% pure silicone.  I used it for years on some flies... and it's cheap!   Also holding the fly line between your fingers and cupping the fly in your hands while blowing on the fly dries it out fairly well.

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/13 16:05:12 (permalink)
    All right.  I'll be the one who goes there...  What you're saying is that you have perfected a technique for blowing flies? 

Lord, I'm sorry 'bout that one right there.
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/13 19:51:12 (permalink)
    I like Gink.

In the days before there were any real good floatants and before hackle was as good as it is today, we were always searching for something to help keep the dry flies up.

A college friend was an photographer and developed his own pictures.  H suggested a product call, if I recall correctly, "PhotoFlow."  It was used to help float photo paper in the developing solution.

I played around with different concentrations of the stuff and finally came up with one that I thought would work.  I gave a sample to my Dad to test and he had good results.

At some gathering or another, my college friend asked how the PhotoFlow worked, but before I could answer him, my Dad took over, "You know, that stuff floats a fly pretty good.  In fact, I had a trout, a big trout, about 18", take a Blue Winged Oilve that I had used that stuff on.  He finally spit out the fly before I could hook him.  But he came right back on the next cast and hit it again, but this time he brought another trout with him in order to help him pull the fly down."

The dumbfounded look on my buddy's face was, as the commercial says, PRICELESS!

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/14 02:47:24 (permalink)
    T.T.    Ouch, that hurt! 

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/14 10:27:08 (permalink)
      Forgive me.  I was born with a genetic defect.  It's called chronic smart azz.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/17 07:30:38 (permalink)
    Would camp dry work?

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/18 18:22:20 (permalink)
    Yes, but you have to spray it then let it dry before fishing, do a whole batch at once the night before.
    ElonDO-fishing
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/18 19:39:05 (permalink)
    Anybody ever try dipping their flies in a waterproofing agent?  I have a bottle of Cortland Dry Fly Spray and was wondering if it would be better to dip the flies instead of spraying them?  My thought is it might better coat the fly better, but also be less wasteful b/c when spraying tiny dry flies the majority of the spray does not go on the flies, even if it is a large batch.  Any thoughts?
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8508
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/18 21:39:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

Yes, but you have to spray it then let it dry before fishing, do a whole batch at once the night before.

Thanks . I,m going to give that a try. Found a good spot to do this. 40 gallons of gas there and back.
    Well , after a few stops. Saw 30 + in a hole .  Caught who knows how many on a wild thing I tyed at camp. Kept sinking.

FredT
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/18 22:25:44 (permalink)
    Silicone O-Ring lube. From hardware store. This does leave a ring in the water around the fly but I have never noticed if the fish really cared. I've been using it for about 5 years now. 
    Bowhunter
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/19 07:45:54 (permalink)
    What style of flies are you using.  Some float a lot better then other styles.  I've found that a parachute style floats the best.  A properly tied comparadun will float very well, a poorly tied one will sink right off the bat.  Catskill patterns in small size can be very hard to see, even if they are floating. 
    I've found that applying gink or similar product works the best for me.  I will use Frogs Fanny if it does start to sink.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/19 12:53:08 (permalink)
    I found out last evening that it's real hard keeping poppers floating with a bucketmouth stuck to the hook.  Just as difficult when the gar get there first.
    Wifeguide
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/19 19:58:10 (permalink)
    "PHOTOFLO" is a wetting agent .  We use it at work to help remove air from our water tanks.  It should have the opposite of the desired effect .
    I use a lot of comparaduns and apply gink before the first cast.  After a fish, I squeeze it in a fold of my shirt, and it is dry.  If you have a heavily hackled traditional tye, this works well also, but be gentle.  Remember-gink BEFORE it gets wet.  The leader info is right on for riffled water.

Now you'll need another excuse...
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/21 05:43:36 (permalink)
    All I remember about the Photo Flow is the story and that it worked.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/21 18:33:41 (permalink)
    Some more good advice on keeping drys floating....

Tie them with high grade hackle. I use nothing but whiting bronze or silver grade hackle. Your flies will float better with good hackle.

If you dont tie, buy your flies from a good local fly shop. If you order your flies bulk from a catalog, you will probably end up with a fly tied overseas will poor quality materials.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/23 12:04:05 (permalink)
    That's it right there drake.  You get what you pay for!!

How's the sucker fishin' been?  Brehm hasn't caught any creek chub's lately. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/23 14:10:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

That's it right there drake.  You get what you pay for!!

How's the sucker fishin' been?  Brehm hasn't caught any creek chub's lately. 

Fished the LJ on wednesday. Did fine considering it was sunny and warm. Despite what it says on flyfishers paradise's stream report, the Little J is a great place to fish terrestrials. Caught plenty of fish on beetles and ants. Saw a few blue quills and some psuedocloen as well.

let me no when you want to fish. I'll be in the outer banks until Sunday July 1st. When I come home, I want to fish for smallies.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: keeping drys floating 2007/06/23 20:51:45 (permalink)
    We were thinking of heading to Liverpool on the Susky for smallies sometime.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1007
    RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/21 14:26:24 (permalink)
    I took some time to search and read this thread. Very educational. Was wondering if anyone here might have new opinions or techniques? Thanks.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/21 14:52:58 (permalink)
    Wow,

I didnt realize that drake's been hAMRing the suckers for that long!

I see here, and many other tying sites, the talk of "high grade hackle"...my question is...what's low-grade hackle? I mean, I've seen hen hackle which nobody could ever mistake for dry hackle, and the cheap strung hackle for buggers and the like...but I dont know that I've ever seen "cheap" hackle that might actually work (structurally) as a dry hackle. I have a neck (cant remember the brand offhand) and two bronze whiting saddles, and those have never, ever given me any trouble in terms of keeping a fly up, so I guess they'd be considered high-grade, but are there certain names to look out for that produce low-grade? And if so...what do you use those feathers for? Nymph legs?
    Match The Hatch
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/21 15:16:15 (permalink)
    Alls I have to say is buy a bottle of GINK..it works awesome and it will keep your dries on top.
    harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1007
    RE: keeping drys floating 2009/07/21 15:30:46 (permalink)
    I've tried a couple different kinds. A spray on and a rub on goop that should both be applied some time beforehand (which is okay with me). Both worked "okay" but I guess I'm looking for that magic bullet. I will try the gink and the frog fanny - I like the idea of a paint on as it seems the spray applicators waste too much (though they are easier). The line dressing argument makes sense too so I'll try that as well.

Is it just me or does anyone else notice flies disappearing off the vest pad to be an increasingly frustrating problem?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: