Centerpiun fishing the Tribs

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Centerpiun fishing the Tribs 2008/11/14 23:08:18 (permalink)
So it would seem I do have friends after all.

PS- No jealousy here. I've never been out fished by a pin. Not that it would matter. Fishing isn't about #'s.
Good times are better than counting fish.

Lyrical
egg sac
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 517
RE: Centerpiun fishing the Tribs 2008/11/15 00:33:42 (permalink)
Stop pushing your I am right your wrong crap on us as both bait and fly are equal in every moral ethical way of catching fish.Ok now all you pin haters just step back and let go of that tree its starting to warp...I do not even want to hear about how much space a pinner takes up as the average fly guy needs 4 times the space a spin guys does.I fly, spin and pin fish. All 3 methods have thier own fun to them.My reason for fishing the pin is not so much how good a drift it gives but the way you fight the fish I find it to be alot more fun then on a spin or fly, fight wise. And thier is nothing wrong with keeping any fish for eggs as long as the fish gets ate. I have and alwasy have had great respect for the fish and want to just choke people when I see them dragging fish across the ground( **** disrespectfull). I have in the past stated these are just fish and yes they are just fish but still deserve enough respect not to be intentionaly snagged or dragged. So to close this soap box out thier is nothing moraly or ethicaly wrong with killing fish to eat and use thier eggs. nor is thier anything wrong with using a pin as long as you are not overtaking the hole from others. One last thought the fly guys out thier ever think about how many birds and animals died so you have fly tying supplys.No different then killing a fish for eggs.

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
MikeThePike
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: Centerpiun fishing the Tribs 2008/11/15 09:14:55 (permalink)
I don't own a pin...yet. Just starting to "master" fly fishing the tribs so atleast another year with that and then try my hand at pinning. I agree with egg sac, as long as the fish gets eaten or given to someone who will eat it then whats wrong with taking the eggs and using them for bait? I keep a few fish for the smoker and the eggs get used for sacs.

I also hunt, obviously the meat gets eaten and when possible the fur/ feathers gets used for tying flies or is given to friends who tie. Everything gets used when possible, whether it be fish or animal harvested.

I've seen more browns kept simply for the eggs than any other species. Its sickening to go to some of the LO tribs and listen to these guys brag about how they are killing a gorgeous brown so they have eggs. Some of these guys even go as far as going to grab a stick to use to keep eggs from falling outta the browns. I see it from just as many spin guys as pinners. I still don't see what their obsession is with brownie eggs. I've fished them right alongside salmon eggs and still never noticed any major difference.
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
RE: Centerpiun fishing the Tribs 2008/11/15 11:59:26 (permalink)
Can someone please explain pinning to me? One of the ways I choose to fish is with a bobber or "indicator", with bait underneath. Is this the highly argued "pinning"? People in Erie have been fishing this way since i can remember. I just don't get the hype, for or against. I take up no more room than a fly guy....i keep no more fish than a spin guy.....If you keep only the legal amount of fish...for eggs or eating...what's the big deal? Am I missing something? Do I have the definition of pinner wrong? Is it just general dislike betwwen a few digruntled guys....whas' the deal?

P.S. I am not looking to debate the ethics of guys "slaughtering 1000's of fish for eggs". Poacing is poaching and that's a whole seperate topic.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
egg sac
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 517
RE: Centerpiun fishing the Tribs 2008/11/15 12:39:38 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

Can someone please explain pinning to me? One of the ways I choose to fish is with a bobber or "indicator", with bait underneath. Is this the highly argued "pinning"? People in Erie have been fishing this way since i can remember. I just don't get the hype, for or against. I take up no more room than a fly guy....i keep no more fish than a spin guy.....If you keep only the legal amount of fish...for eggs or eating...what's the big deal? Am I missing something? Do I have the definition of pinner wrong? Is it just general dislike between a few digruntled guys....whas' the deal?

P.S. I am not looking to debate the ethics of guys "slaughtering 1000's of fish for eggs". Poacing is poaching and that's a whole seperate topic.

A pinner is a short word for a centerpin fisherman. They use special rod reel set up and is nothing like a spinning reel at all.The reel looks a good bit like a fly reel but alot bigger and does not use fly line but mainly mono backing of a heavier line then the leader is. The reel has zero drag to it,. The reel when spun will spin like forever.The reels are machined mostly out of light wieght grade aluminun and weigh very little.The purpose of the setup is to make insanely long drag free drifts. When you toss out with this rig the curent will spin the reel while still keeping your float in a perfect drag free drifts( insanely deadly when used proper)They are better suited to larger rivers and creeks then PA has. They are a blast to fish when you have the room to do so but when in crowds they are not much different then just using a spin outfit except the fight is different with them.
post edited by egg sac - 2008/11/15 12:41:33

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
RE: Centerpiun fishing the Tribs 2008/11/15 12:43:17 (permalink)
Anadromous,
Thanx for the laugh, funny stuff...I've never spoiled the drift with a pin. Now a hoober doob, or a potato rocket.....that'll blow out the hole.

Egg,
  Thanx for the info, i get it now. Drifting bait with a spin rig, and pinning are two different things. Or 3 different things if you ask Anadromous.
post edited by Mr.Slickfish - 2008/11/15 12:50:41

I choose Little Cleos

ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Centerpiun fishing the Tribs 2008/11/16 07:51:21 (permalink)

To add to what eggy said.  Its also all about the angler having total control.  Even though those pins are the Rolls Royces of reels, they are quite simple and kind of prehistoric mechanisms.  Often times consisting of less than 25 parts and machined by one hand.  Top of the line pins are usually made in places like the UK, Europe and Canada.  Some people have the common misconception that these set ups are utilized or originated by elitists or purists, even though I’ve seen some that use these, think they really are in Erie .  The style was originated and often used by simple hard working folk of Canada, Europe and England who "trott" the large rivers of their countries primarily for drum type species of fish.  The angler has total control of the whole experience of float fishing by manual drag, no fancy mechanics or aids for casting, a totally free spinning spool, etc.  Practically everything is controlled by the angler putting pressure on the spool with his/her fingers or palm of his hand.  All so simple yet virtually perfect specimens.  There is also extreme control of a near perfect drift achieved by using a long float rod (12’ +), a virtually free spinning reel and floating line.  The angler can maintain long, drag free drifts by easily mending the line and almost control the speed of the drift by a method called trotting or holding back the float whenever they want.  Now rigging is equally, if not more important, but enough info for a whole other thread!  Again, a lot of this can be achieved by using a float rod and spinning outfit and proper rigging.  However, the fighting of the fish is totally different and during certain conditions, this method can be unmatched in it's fish slaying possibilities.  

If you are truly interested in this type of fishing, do some research on the net and I’m sure you can find more accurate info, it’s origins, the people behind them and the people who utilize them effectively.  Many happen to be common people, just like me and some even my own ancestry which is why this intrigues me so.  And believe me, it won’t just be steel that I’ll be after with a centerpin.  There are countless opportunities with large rivers and various species close to where I live that I will be utilizing this approach, which will also give me good practice far before ever entering the “Zoo” using this cool method.     
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/11/16 08:04:09

Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
RE: Centerpiun fishing the Tribs 2008/11/16 08:36:09 (permalink)
ShutUpNFish
   As always, an informative reply from you. Thanx for the info. I primarily wanted to know what the "in fighting" was about.

I choose Little Cleos

swinger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1376
RE: Centerpiun fishing the Tribs 2008/11/16 08:51:20 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

If you are truly interested in this type of fishing, do some research on the net and I’m sure you can find more accurate info, it’s origins, the people behind them and the people who utilize them effectively.      

Very nice ShutUp. I see that you have done some homework and I respect that. Once you pull the trigger and get yours, at least you will know the history behind your tool of choice. For those of you who already have the stupid pin setup stop tying pink sacs for one second and educate yourself alittle. Just remember to wipe the egg juice of your hands before typing your google search on "sentrpining"

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: