Playing the fish!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 18:25:14 (permalink)
well said people should also tighten up there drag a little i use 4lb gamma and i can move fish even in fast tailouts with my 10ft 6 noodle rod there are some exceptions but as a whole way too many folks even ones using 6 lb flouro take too much time landing fish if they have the area to themselves ok,but in a more crowded area please be courteous .

I have become comfortably numb
tippy-toe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4334
RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 20:10:02 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: TB

It takes Tippy-Toe about 10-15 mins b/c most of his fish are usually hooked in the tail, belly, or back!

Thats not cool

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
worm_waster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 528
RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 20:23:33 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dano

It doesn't bother me at all if I'm fishing next to someone who takes a long time to land a fish.  
It's a good excuse for me to sit down and rest my back.
It's just fishing. Have fun with it.
Sometimes i'll give a little advice if the guy is just holding on to a fish that's just sitting there dug in.

I think if more of us had that attitude the tribs would be a whole lot better place.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 20:46:34 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Kokanee Killer

well said people should also tighten up there drag a little i use 4lb gamma and i can move fish even in fast tailouts with my 10ft 6 noodle rod there are some exceptions but as a whole way too many folks even ones using 6 lb flouro take too much time landing fish if they have the area to themselves ok,but in a more crowded area please be courteous .

First off, let me say no offense directly to you Kokanee. However, I don't care who it is,  if you hook into one of those fresh steelies right out of the lake, full of **** and vinegar, that goes anywhere from 6 to 10 lbs or more with 4lb test(anything)(4lb test is 4lb test);  you are not going to horse them in just a few minutes.  There is no way IMO it is even feasibly possible unless the fish runs straight at you and even then, when it makes the turn to run again, look out...SNAP!  IMHO there is a fine line between horsing fish in and fighting it for way too long that is ultimately determined by the size line and equipment you use.  Again, no offense to you directly.
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/09/22 21:11:18

tippy-toe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4334
RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 20:53:34 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: worm_waster

ORIGINAL: dano

It doesn't bother me at all if I'm fishing next to someone who takes a long time to land a fish.  
It's a good excuse for me to sit down and rest my back.
It's just fishing. Have fun with it.
Sometimes i'll give a little advice if the guy is just holding on to a fish that's just sitting there dug in.

I think if more of us had that attitude the tribs would be a whole lot better place.w_w.

I agree. dano thats exactly what I do, its about having fun...
post edited by tippy-toe - 2008/09/22 20:57:53

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
Screamin Steel
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 246
RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 21:47:57 (permalink)
Seems to me like most steelies have their initial first couple of power runs, after that you should be able to do something with them. Fifteen minutes (actually timed on a watch) is way too long. Not to mention, if you are going to release the fish, the longer it goes on, the less chance of him making it....as the odds are already against him anyway. The ones that get me the most are fly fishermen. (Sorry.) Nothing like watching guys standing there going "lift and snap" all day long. Is it really a blast to lose all the flies in your box, and not land a single fish? And often the ones that are claiming how fun the fight is on a 7x tippet are releasing the few they do land anyway, after the twenty minute battle, and the fish floats away on his side. Fun? Maybe. But I'd say irresponsible as well. Lets weigh the pros and cons of too light line.

PROS: Very long action packed fight.
         Lighter line MAY = more hookups. Maybe not.
         Makes you seem like a God in your own eyes, anyway.

CONS: You will lose more fish than you land.
         Neighboring anglers will get tired of it in a hurry, and you might just go for a swim.
         Fish will be very exhausted, survivability decreases exponentially.
         You will lose a lot of flies, tackle, etc.
         Time wasted fighting that four pounder, could have meant a few more fish, maybe a bigger one.
         Use light line long enough, and your drag may be the next thing to go.
         Someday a true behemoth may decide to eat what you're serving, and the memory of your line snapping like a gunshot
         will be the only memory you have.
post edited by Screamin Steel - 2008/09/22 21:48:55
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 22:48:15 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Screamin Steel

Seems to me like most steelies have their initial first couple of power runs, after that you should be able to do something with them. Fifteen minutes (actually timed on a watch) is way too long. Not to mention, if you are going to release the fish, the longer it goes on, the less chance of him making it....as the odds are already against him anyway. The ones that get me the most are fly fishermen. (Sorry.) Nothing like watching guys standing there going "lift and snap" all day long. Is it really a blast to lose all the flies in your box, and not land a single fish? And often the ones that are claiming how fun the fight is on a 7x tippet are releasing the few they do land anyway, after the twenty minute battle, and the fish floats away on his side. Fun? Maybe. But I'd say irresponsible as well. Lets weigh the pros and cons of too light line.

PROS: Very long action packed fight.
        Lighter line MAY = more hookups. Maybe not.
        Makes you seem like a God in your own eyes, anyway.

CONS: You will lose more fish than you land.
        Neighboring anglers will get tired of it in a hurry, and you might just go for a swim.
        Fish will be very exhausted, survivability decreases exponentially.
        You will lose a lot of flies, tackle, etc.
        Time wasted fighting that four pounder, could have meant a few more fish, maybe a bigger one.
        Use light line long enough, and your drag may be the next thing to go.
        Someday a true behemoth may decide to eat what you're serving, and the memory of your line snapping like a gunshot
        will be the only memory you have.

WOW!  You're really playin' with some fire right there SS...good luck with that one!

FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 23:22:59 (permalink)
Don't you know- Joe is SuperFisherman?

Faster than a speeding bullet.

I think under a minute is ridiculous, unless you are using 12 pound test.
Screamin Steel
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 246
RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/23 00:33:42 (permalink)
For the record I use 6lb flourocarbon all the time. I've not yet tangled with a real bruiser, but have caught plenty that exceeded the line rating. Under 5 mins seemed about right. Don't think one ever took longer than 5 honest minutes, though it can feel longer. That is plenty of time to enjoy the fight. I always try to get 'em in before they are worn out. Take a gamble, make a pass with the net when I get 'em close. If they were tired enough to come to hand, then that just seems to tired to be releasing them, imo.
Johnny_Johnson
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 479
RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/23 09:35:12 (permalink)
After reading the posts and reflecting on my own battles on the Erie tribs, I have to say that there really is no specified time frame.  

Obviously, there are better times and some methods which some of the more experienced guys have pointed out on the thread to help us get the fish in, but I really think it falls back to simple decency.

Every time I hook a fish I set my drag up and the fight is on.  If it is inconveniencing other anglers, I'm busting my****to get that fish in as quick as possible.  Be it 1 minute or 10, I do everything in my power to get that fish out of their way so they can enjoy the same feeling I am. 

I would never get ****ed at a guy who's doing everything he can to get a fish in, if the fish won't cooperate.  On the flip side of that, you have the idiots that insist on letting a fish run past you 10 times and they aren't even making an effort to get it in.

Basically, do unto others....
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6356
RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/23 11:40:32 (permalink)
Regarding playing steel:  Acoustic or electric?   6 string or 12 string?  Classical or modern?  And what about the bass.   Pick or strum?  Lead or rhythm?  Too many unanswered qustions!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: