Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
PAFISHERMAN1981
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 384
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/22 11:40:02 (permalink)

Playing the fish!

I have a question, How long do you usually play a Steelie? 

Because I am one that hates a guy that stands there and plays a fish forever. And as a person watching them catch the fish. I am happy for them. But come on 15 minutes! LOL (like my father-in-law) I feel like saying reel that bastard in already. Oh yeah and by the way the fish was only 18 inches.... I mean I am nice enough to reel in and let you run with the fish. But i want to catch fish too!  I dont know maybe I am being an ****. but i never say anything. I am always smiles.

40 Replies Related Threads

MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 11:42:53 (permalink)
    If a fish is going to take more than 3 minutes to land you owe it to others to play it out of the way so the others can go back to fishing.
    Rocky2008
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 11:50:21 (permalink)
    18 inches...should have been done in less than 5 minutes..just my 2 cents..
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 11:53:00 (permalink)
    I just think it's funny.  You have guys that know how to fight fish and get them to the net, and guys that think they've just hooked a whale and let the fish whoop their a**.  I understand you're using light line, that's why you're using a long rod!  If they start running give them side pressure to turn their heads around, you'd be surprised how tired they get when they have to turn and can't run.  The best part is...it works for all fish with all types of tackle!  You just have to have some backbone and be the aggressor, don't just stand there with the rod in your hand like a statue!! 
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 11:54:35 (permalink)
    I would say it usually takes 5-8 minutes.  The only problem is if you get one of the ones that just don't stop it can take longer than that.  I get what your sayin about being respectful but only using 4# test horsing them in isn't an option.  Tightening my drag to full force will only break my line so if it takes a couple more minutes, that's the breaks.  Everyone gets their chance and when it comes to pull my line out for a couple extra minutes when someone else has one on, it's not a problem for me at all.   But usually you can get in a spot to land the fish while everyone around you can still fish. 

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 12:10:58 (permalink)
    5-8 minutes?  Are you serious?  Most should take less than a minute.  I put a 9lb 29" buck on the bank Saturday in an area with a lot of water to fight in less than 60 seconds.  I use 6 lb Pline floroclear and a 10.5 noodle rod.  Absolutely rediculous the amount of time people spend fighting these fish. 
    post edited by joebaker79 - 2008/09/22 12:11:37
    fishrmn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 675
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 12:24:32 (permalink)
    What Joe said...
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 12:27:41 (permalink)
    Joebaker that was an estimate.  Some will obviously take a lot less time than that, like the one you just caught.  I've caught some in the past that only took me a minute or two to get in while I've had other ones take a little longer.  Maybe over 5 minutes was a little to much to predict.  I usually don't look at my watch while I'm bringing them in.

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein
    PAFISHERMAN1981
    Expert Angler
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 12:40:59 (permalink)
    People always say that I horse the fish to much, too feel the fight and the play.  But I feel that as i am reeling him in....
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 12:53:39 (permalink)
    My feelings, if you have the right gear, get the fish in reasonably.

seejib
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 268
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 12:54:02 (permalink)
    To each his own. I think it depends on a few things, the area your fishing is one thing and how many are around. 2nd is the test of line you have on, the drag setting and the test from the rod you have. 3rd and biggest is the fish and the will of that fish to get free. It sounds pretty simple. Everyone is diferent and has different opinons about what you should do. Play it all be ear and the moment and remember to be forgiving to those around you, unless there 3 strikes are uesd up.

I'd rather fight them for a bit than just reeling them in fast but thats only my 2 cents.
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 13:02:04 (permalink)
    there's a big difference between fighting a fish and having a fish control you.  If you're chasing your fish downstream you've lost the battle. 
    TB
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 247
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 13:06:28 (permalink)
    It does depend on some variables - water conditions, water river, what line you use, etc. 

Joe, you are always right though - huh? 

It takes you a minute b/c you are standing over top of fish in a 10' wide creek twitching a jig in front of it's face until it hits.  You have 5 feet of line out that you need to get in on your noodle.  That is why it takes 1 minute.

Be rational - it various depending on person, no need to act like your method is the best and everyone else is wrong.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 13:08:33 (permalink)
    Every fish is different. But I can't recall ever needing to fight a steelhead for more than what I would guess is 5 minutes (maybe one when I was younger, and it turned out to just be an average fish that wouldn't give up). 

5 real minutes (on the clock, not what seemed like 5 minutes to you) is a long time!!   Obviously the longest battle usually occur in the lake and the lower streams close to the lake where there's lots of water to run. But still, every fish is different, the first fish I caught off shore this year hardly fought at all, maybe water temperature, maybe a fish that was trying to cross the sandbar all night and was just tired, who knows.  On the other hand, the fish at the elk access the other day were absolutely nuts, you guys can wait for more water. I don't care if the water is up in the parking lots, you won't have any more fun/harder battles than what those fish were giving the other day. Still, I'd guess most battles probably lasted 2 to 3 minutes tops.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 13:12:42 (permalink)
    Forgot some things,

Everyone knows the cold water slows them down, when water temps are below 40 it should rarely take you more than 90 seconds to land a fish,that's a generous amount of time too, I'd bet I could get most in around 30 seconds with a net.

the fish in walnut get beat, fished manchester 1 day last week, 2 out of 10 fought like steelhead, the rest fought like the water was 33 degrees. Between working up the shallow water, and being hooked 10 times already, they weren't much fun at all. 
    post edited by Stillhead - 2008/09/22 13:13:52
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 13:13:43 (permalink)
    Stillhead I agree.  I was a little drastic on my estimation.  Sometimes when battling these fish you lose track of time.  Most of my battles have most likely been 2-3 minutes.  There have been a few times where I've been fishing heavy rapids and I know these fish took longer due to the conditions I was facing.  When they start running in that heavy current and can be very difficult to immediately pull them right to shore.  These battles possibly could have went to 5 minutes but that could be stretching it.

-Albert Einstein
    PAFISHERMAN1981
    Expert Angler
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 13:14:19 (permalink)
    I aggree everyone is different but 10 to 15 minutes. I think is way to long. it take me on average 2 to 3 minutes. i would be affraid to lose every fish. IDK --- I guess there is no right answer.....
    PAFISHERMAN1981
    Expert Angler
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 13:19:21 (permalink)
    Ok so it should take you anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes tops.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 13:19:31 (permalink)
    Remember, when it's crowded, you can bet there's someone there who has never caught one. Obviously it's going to take them more time to bring them in. If you can remember the first few fish you ever hooked into, and what that feeling is like, I'd bet it's different now for anyone who's caught many.  Let them enjoy it, maybe offer help, no reason to get upset over it. Take a deep breath, check out your leader/line for knicks/loops/knots, check your hook points, make sure you junk is in order during your down time. Or, just move, there's probably fish around the bend. 
    TB
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 247
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 13:26:41 (permalink)
    It takes Tippy-Toe about 10-15 mins b/c most of his fish are usually hooked in the tail, belly, or back!
    PAFISHERMAN1981
    Expert Angler
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 13:30:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Stillhead

Remember, when it's crowded, you can bet there's someone there who has never caught one. Obviously it's going to take them more time to bring them in. If you can remember the first few fish you ever hooked into, and what that feeling is like, I'd bet it's different now for anyone who's caught many.  Let them enjoy it, maybe offer help, no reason to get upset over it. Take a deep breath, check out your leader/line for knicks/loops/knots, check your hook points, make sure you junk is in order during your down time. Or, just move, there's probably fish around the bend. 

Good point but I only get mad I guess if its someone I know and it takes them forever. I am the type of person that will show you how to do something and if they are hitting something that i have on, I will tell you what I have on. I also hate people that keep things all a secret.  It makes me feel like I am back in gradeschool. I feel like saying be a sportsmen and help out the person thats having a bad day and not catching a fish.
    And i have been there and its not fun.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 13:50:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TB

It takes Tippy-Toe about 10-15 mins b/c most of his fish are usually hooked in the tail, belly, or back!

That and he's old duud!
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 13:50:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TB

It does depend on some variables - water conditions, water river, what line you use, etc. 

Joe, you are always right though - huh? 

It takes you a minute b/c you are standing over top of fish in a 10' wide creek twitching a jig in front of it's face until it hits.  You have 5 feet of line out that you need to get in on your noodle.  That is why it takes 1 minute.

Be rational - it various depending on person, no need to act like your method is the best and everyone else is wrong.

Actually I barely use jigs until October.  I landed 8 fish saturday on flatfish lures where there was a wide slow estuary, plenty of room for the fish to go.  And these were all silver fish that obviously just came in.  Full of leaps and line taking runs.  I never said anything about wrong and right, just what should be more often than not in terms of fighting an Erie steelhead, and I think most agree.  Even in the lake tossing spoons and spinners 1-3 minutes should be tops.  As far as jigging there are times when I am on top of the fish, but isn't a fly rodder or any other fisherman also?  It is Erie, the creeks can be thin like you say, all the more reason that fighting a steelhead shouldn't force anyone around you to break out War And Peace. 
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 15:12:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dealinsteel

I just think it's funny.  You have guys that know how to fight fish and get them to the net, and guys that think they've just hooked a whale and let the fish whoop their a**.  I understand you're using light line, that's why you're using a long rod!  If they start running give them side pressure to turn their heads around, you'd be surprised how tired they get when they have to turn and can't run.  The best part is...it works for all fish with all types of tackle!  You just have to have some backbone and be the aggressor, don't just stand there with the rod in your hand like a statue!! 

I agree, SIDE PRESSURE will stop them.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 15:35:41 (permalink)
    normally 2-3 minutes max.  But I have had two fish that were hooked where they had plenty of room to run where it took over 15 minutes to get them in.  One was 31.5 and the other 32".  Each time I thought I had them in they would take off and I'd have to fight them all over again.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 16:12:49 (permalink)
    It really depends on what time of the year you catch the fish.  This time of year, the fish fight 10 times harder and certainly take longer to land.  In the winter, a minute or so is usually all you need.  However, even with 8lb. test and in the fall, it gets tough to land the fish in a couple of minutes.  Last weekend, I had one fight like crazy and peeling drag.  It took 3 or 4 violent runs that I had absolutley NO control over.  What do you really expect a guy to do?  I also agree with stillhead, have someone stand beside you while you fight a fish and time it...you will find that 5 minutes feels more like 15 when fighting a fish.  Its so funny everytime people see some of the muskies I have caught and ask "Wow, that thing must have took an hour to reel in huh?"  I just laugh and say, not quite, you'd be surprised at how quickly we get those fish in and released.  So 5 "real time minutes" are pretty much legitimate this time of year when it comes to steelhead fishing if using 8b test or less.  But 5 minutes is about max,  much more than that, is going to KILL the fish.  AND quite simply why most of your 30 fish days come in the winter, less time to land. 
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/09/22 16:20:05

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 16:37:57 (permalink)
    It doesn't bother me at all if I'm fishing next to someone who takes a long time to land a fish.  
    It's a good excuse for me to sit down and rest my back.
    It's just fishing. Have fun with it.
    Sometimes i'll give a little advice if the guy is just holding on to a fish that's just sitting there dug in.

Gone Fishing
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 16:45:41 (permalink)

If you're chasing your fish downstream you've lost the battle. 

That's not always true, especially early season. After the water cools off, yes.
    But with current conditions, a 10lber may make you move your feet.
    genieman77
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 17:01:34 (permalink)
    I like to play them til they turn side ways or swim upside down.

That way when i beach them, they won't flop around on the rocks and hurt themselves before I remove the hook and kick'em back in

BTW, next time ya'll snag up on the bottom, see how much pressure you can actually put on your tackle.
    You might be surprised how much 4 pound test will take
    (unless it was ME that tied the knot)
    In that case, it wouldn't matter if it was 20 pnd braid.....

ten thumbs, but i try

..L.T.A.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: Playing the fish! 2008/09/22 17:06:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: FlashDance

If you're chasing your fish downstream you've lost the battle. 

That's not always true, especially early season. After the water cools off, yes.
    But with current conditions, a 10lber may make you move your feet.

you were waaaay too slow flashpantz!!! must be gettin' old duud
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: