Trout die off ?????

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/18 16:09:41 (permalink)
i understand YB, AR, PC, and Kettle
there are problems with that survey... it wasn't even half assed
no enough people were questioned ect

previous thread
http://forums.fishusa.com/m_95824/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm
post edited by KJH807 - 2008/09/18 16:10:02
flyfishermanPA
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1495
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/18 17:57:33 (permalink)
Most people are there to catch fish, and mostly keep. The fish & Boat needs to sell licenses and they stock creeks sometimes regardless of if it has some wild trout... Oh well. Not everyone cares about some of the remaining good wild trout creeks, and more about showing their kid how to catch fish. If they were to stop stocking alot of them, popularity among buying licenses, I think, would die down just abit because the person with no patience isn't catching fish... Many people like driving 5 minutes to a wild creek w/stockies and if they stopped those people wouldn't want to shell out the money for an hour worth of gas to go to the next decent place..

By the way I think I read that article and there was a discussion about how most anglers that went out more than twice a year wanted artificial lures only areas to be opened to bait fishing, etc... Think they'd ever change that?

MackJ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 522
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/18 19:59:01 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: KJH807
what is "very few"...
have you done the research???
crosschecked the list of approved trout water with streams that support wild trout populations
it might surprise you

the fact that it is done is bad enough...
so if there is a small population of smaller size fish, you think it is OK to stock over them and push them out?  just so people will "bother to fish them"?

remember this article?
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08195/896725-358.stm

Though some streams of Class B biomass or less are worth fishing for wild trout, most are not.  Of the streams with Class A biomass, approximately one-half percent of the stream milage is stocked; typically (if not exclusively) the stocking occurs in adjacent non-Class A stream sections.  I only point these things out because these exaggerated claims of the Fish Commission ruining all the good wild trout water with hatchery plants is so prevalent and also so inaccurate.  Objective evidence is weak for the belief that terminating stocking on such waters will have any effect on the wild populations.  It is one thing to identify streams where reducing or eliminating stocking would be beneficial and another altogether to unfairly accuse the Fish Commission as the original comment seems to do.  And, yes, I do believe it is appropriate for an organization charged with the responsibility to manage a resource for recreation to take into consideration the recreational desires of the people whom they serve and not cater solely to a fringe minority.
flyfishermanPA
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/18 20:25:39 (permalink)
Interesting..
So many big words! that's my vocabulary lesson for the day .
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/18 22:13:15 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: MackJ

Though some streams of Class B biomass or less are worth fishing for wild trout, most are not.  Of the streams with Class A biomass, approximately one-half percent of the stream milage is stocked; typically (if not exclusively) the stocking occurs in adjacent non-Class A stream sections.  I only point these things out because these exaggerated claims of the Fish Commission ruining all the good wild trout water with hatchery plants is so prevalent and also so inaccurate.  Objective evidence is weak for the belief that terminating stocking on such waters will have any effect on the wild populations.  It is one thing to identify streams where reducing or eliminating stocking would be beneficial and another altogether to unfairly accuse the Fish Commission as the original comment seems to do.  And, yes, I do believe it is appropriate for an organization charged with the responsibility to manage a resource for recreation to take into consideration the recreational desires of the people whom they serve and not cater solely to a fringe minority.

where did you get your #s
class A or B, we were talking about stocking {over} wild and/or native populations

stocking migrating species in connecting waterways... ever see what is going on with didymo?

you sound like you know enough, to know the raping going in WV with their A B C water classification and the slippery slope of stocking over wild fish and river classifications

FLYFISHERMANPA- sorry for the hijack
post edited by KJH807 - 2008/09/19 10:15:52
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/19 09:51:19 (permalink)
"Biomass" classifications of A, B and C, do not necessarily equate to "Class A water is better trout fishing than Class B water".  The best wild trout stream in SW PA, that I've fished, is a Class C water.
MackJ
Expert Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/19 10:58:15 (permalink)
I acknowledged in my post that some Class B or lower biomass streams can provide good wild trout fishing, but that is the exception, not the rule.  The only reason my remarks are limited to Class A is that there is no publicly available list of all wild trout waters where the biomass is identified other than the Class A List.  The "Streams With Wild Reproduction" list identifies any stream with any level of reproduction and my examination of that list convinces me that a huge majority of such waters have minimal or even "trace" amounts of wild fish, likely in the very remote headwater areas and do not provide a useable recreational resource.  If you pull up the Class A list and cross reference it with the Approved Trout Waters list, and compare the stream milage, I believe you will confirm my statements about the small percentage of Class A trout waters that are subject to any impact from hatchery stockings.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/19 11:43:39 (permalink)

The only reason my remarks are limited to Class A is that there is no publicly available list of all wild trout waters where the biomass is identified other than the Class A List. 

There used to be one, I had it, it was on-line.  I'll see if I can find it, and if I do, I'll post it.  I may not get to that today, though.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/19 11:54:05 (permalink)
It appears as if the PFBC, has changed the format of their document.  It used to be categorized Class A, B, C & D, in one document, and was available online (I should've printed it out a couple years ago, oh well).  The only one I found, with a quick search, is this:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/trout_repro.pdf

What that is, is their document showing all streams with natural reporduction, by county.  Eliminating any classification A, B, C or D.
MackJ
Expert Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/19 12:02:22 (permalink)
Those are what is available on-line.  You can also find the wilderness trout streams list which does show the classification of those few streams.  I understand that the complete list with biomass classifications might be available for inspection directly from the Commission.  Anyhow, I am not trying to persuade anyone from advocating more careful management of wild trout, nor even of advocating a prohibition against stocking anywhere near wild trout, whether populations are strong or weak.  I just think that statements like "the Commission loves stocking over wild trout" are misleading, if not outright false, and should be put into perspective. 
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/19 12:15:53 (permalink)

I acknowledged in my post that some Class B or lower biomass streams can provide good wild trout fishing, but that is the exception, not the rule.  The only reason my remarks are limited to Class A is that there is no publicly available list of all wild trout waters where the biomass is identified other than the Class A List.  The "Streams With Wild Reproduction" list identifies any stream with any level of reproduction and my examination of that list convinces me that a huge majority of such waters have minimal or even "trace" amounts of wild fish, likely in the very remote headwater areas and do not provide a useable recreational resource.  If you pull up the Class A list and cross reference it with the Approved Trout Waters list, and compare the stream milage, I believe you will confirm my statements about the small percentage of Class A trout waters that are subject to any impact from hatchery stockings.

no, this started when i stated that the PFBC stocks fish over wild and native populations
and that too many people like this practice and wish it was done more
and that i thought the above is wrong

this was not limited to class A waters
it was waters indentified as containing natural repro

I don't care if you are talking about Class A B C D
the solution to low natural repro is NOT stocking pellet heads
if anything what about reintroducing native populations?  correct the factors that are leading to the loss of self sustaining populations

the decision to stock should not be made due to classification level
rather the presence of a sustainable population

KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/19 12:17:32 (permalink)

I just think that statements like "the Commission loves stocking over wild trout" are misleading, if not outright false, and should be put into perspective. 

how is this not true???
you have yet to put it in "perspective"
MackJ
Expert Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/19 12:59:51 (permalink)
It is not true because it implies they do it for no particular reason but because they "love it," like they have no concern for wild trout.  It is not true in that it is misleading because it doesn't acknowledge that it occurs very rarely, occurs mostly only where there is a need to provide recreational trout fishing opportunities by stocking, and is done 99.5 percent of the time where the trout reproduction is limited because of stream characteristics that prevent the stream from ever sustaining fuishable levels of trout biomass.  I didn't say you limited your comments to Class A populations.  Clearly to feel any outrage over the extent to which stocking over wild population occurs, one would have to include even the most trace populations.  I limited my percentage figures to Class A for two reasons: first, that data is available to make comparison; and second, 90 percent of good wild trout streams fall into that category.
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/19 13:26:13 (permalink)

It is not true because it implies they do it for no particular reason but because they "love it," like they have no concern for wild trout.  It is not true in that it is misleading because it doesn't acknowledge that it occurs very rarely, occurs mostly only where there is a need to provide recreational trout fishing opportunities by stocking, and is done 99.5 percent of the time where the trout reproduction is limited because of stream characteristics that prevent the stream from ever sustaining fuishable levels of trout biomass.  I didn't say you limited your comments to Class A populations.  Clearly to feel any outrage over the extent to which stocking over wild population occurs, one would have to include even the most trace populations.  I limited my percentage figures to Class A for two reasons: first, that data is available to make comparison; and second, 90 percent of good wild trout streams fall into that category.

ok it will give you this... "love" might have not been the best word choice... but they don't have issues with doing it

i would aggree that a very small portion of class a waters are stocked
but you cannot neglect the fact the practice of stocking class B C D waters!
these waters should have the same/ simaliar treatment as Class a waters

how is a class b going to become a class A with sticking over wild fish??
the disreguard for these "on the fence" / "fringe"/ "almost" waterways will only lead to less wild trout
it stocked B will never become an A... stocked C will never become a B

stocking is not an answer to managing this "renewable resource"

KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/19 13:29:42 (permalink)
forgot to include this 03 report
http://www.patrout.org/Wild_Trout_and_Stocking.htm

disclaimer.... i am in no way advocating or in support of TU

here is 08
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/stockchanges.htm
MackJ
Expert Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/19 15:29:32 (permalink)
I would guess that most waters of lower biomass than Class A do not have the ability to sustain higher populations because of habitat and forage limitations.  There are likely a few stream sections that stocking is holding back the wild populations, but really, I think, only a few. 
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/19 15:58:01 (permalink)

I would guess.... 

your guess is wrong...
this topic is best discussed using facts and hard numbers... not "guessing"
post edited by KJH807 - 2008/09/19 15:59:53
MackJ
Expert Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/19 17:19:27 (permalink)
Then offer your proof.  You are doing worse than guessing, I think.
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/19 17:56:00 (permalink)
what is your point in all of this?
you argue any fact or idea presented... what do you believe to be true?

Mack once again in a junviale manner you are fizzling out

first understand what class A B C D really mean
http://www.patrout.org/Class_A_Wild_Trout.htm

then understand that PFBC is stocking in class B and C waters over wild fish

http://www.patrout.org/Wild_Trout_and_Stocking.htm

again, it is a fact that PA stocks over wild fish...

cross check this list- http://www.fish.state.pa.us/trout_repro.htm
with this list- http://www.fish.state.pa.us/fishpub/summary/troutwaters.html

the stocking isn't just a few fish...
they are literally dumping buckets of pellet heads in these waters and pushing out wild and native species

flyfishermanPA
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/19 18:50:35 (permalink)

Hold on, so you don't support trout unlimited? For all they've done I'd say they're a really great organization and the reason why so many people catch those "lunker" trout out of creeks/rivers. I guess you're not happy about trout unlimiteds stocking of many wild creeks, regardless of what any one says they have. But they are only trying to help the anglers catch some fish and better the fish population, I can see us not supporting them because of maybe killing off SOME trout... But come on, they have no comparision on how many small native trout streams big companies have killed off or poluted.

By the way I could see that quote meaning acouple different things.. Sorry if I got it wrong.
MackJ
Expert Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/20 10:15:35 (permalink)
Let me make this simple for you: to see how inaccurate your statement was statewide, pick any county in the state and make a comparison of: the miles of water with ANY natural reproduction; the miles of water where stocking occurs in the same sections as where there is natural reproduction; the miles of Class A water where stocking occurs in the same section; the miles where stocking occurs anywhere on the creek if there is any amount of reproduction on the same creek; the miles of water where stocking occurs anywhere on the creek with any section of Class A water on the same creek; finally, and most important for your final inaccurate "belief," consider the extent of waters with less than Class A biomass, where NO stocking occurs, and where the stream still lacks a Class A population.  You will find that this data supports the statements I made, if not entirely, then more so than it supports the implications of your statements.

So, you ask what is my point?  Here it is: while the Commission stocks trout on waters with natural reproduction, they do so to provide the kind of angling experience that 90% of the license buying public desires.  They choose the waters to stock based upon access to the waters.  It does very little good to stock waters that are inaccessible or do not provide a pleasurable experience to anglers.  As much as possible, they avoid stocking in stream sections with Class A populations.  The data bears out that this occurs in extremely rare circumstances.  Likewise, in sections with strong Class B populations, they only seem to stock these where the demand locally for additional hatchery supported fisheries is strong.  Again, since I do not have data showing the stream classifications of non-Class A waters with natural reproduction, I can only "guess" that this is likewise rare, though less rare than stocking over Class A populations.  Also, I can only "guess" (because the data isn't provided to allow certainty) that many Class B, C and D wild trout waters which are NOT stocked, have never attained, nor will they attain, a higher biomass rating because the stream is simply incapable of supporting biomass of that class. 

Many people who enjoy fishing for wild trout and can have a quality experience on Class B or less streams seem unaware that they are in a huge minority of the angling public.  The vast majority of trout anglers would rather do crossword puzzles than wander around in the woods fishing for 5 inch brook trout, even if they could catch one on every cast. 

So, as I said, I am not trying to discourage anyone, including yourself, from advocating less stocking on waters that might provide quality fishing without stocking.  However, I believe that such advocacy is not only more honest, but more effective, if one avoids exaggerating and misrepresenting both the extent and affect of stocking that the Commission actually does.
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/22 09:05:24 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: flyfishermanPA

Hold on, so you don't support trout unlimited? For all they've done I'd say they're a really great organization and the reason why so many people catch those "lunker" trout out of creeks/rivers. I guess you're not happy about trout unlimiteds stocking of many wild creeks, regardless of what any one says they have. But they are only trying to help the anglers catch some fish and better the fish population, I can see us not supporting them because of maybe killing off SOME trout... But come on, they have no comparision on how many small native trout streams big companies have killed off or poluted.

By the way I could see that quote meaning acouple different things.. Sorry if I got it wrong.

i didn't want to pull TU into this.... while quoting their research
I wanted to stay on topic of PFBC
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/22 09:12:09 (permalink)
Mack i have never argued the fact that class A are 95%+ unstocked
i have problems with stocking of class B and some Class C sections

Read the links I posted... find out what the guidelines are for Class A B C D
Look at the list of natural Repo

PFBC stocks over wild fish... and have not problem with it
in fact the majority of anglers survey want more stocking over wild fish
i think this is WRONG

Stock in class D water
Stock in the waters that have no natural Repro
protect the Class A B and C waters

MackJ
Expert Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/22 11:25:00 (permalink)
Class C highest biomass is about 18 lbs. per acre; average weight of 8"-9" trout is 0.25 pounds; 30 foot wide stream would cover one acre of surface area over a length of about 1460 feet (Just over 1/4 mile); therefore, in an acre, there should be 72 8"-9" trout, or 5 such trout for every 100 feet of stream length.  This discounts the extra weight of smaller trout (we're talking a stream with natural reproduction) and also discounts the extra weight if any one or more of the 72 trout per quarter-mile are longer than 9". 

As I said, I don't see more than a small percentage of anglers being satisfied with the fishing recreation that could be enjoyed in this level of biomass.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to: