Trout die off ?????

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/12 12:20:36 (permalink)
you guys know that there other fish to catch on a fly rod.... right?
ones that are bigger, smarter, and fight harder than trout...

don't get me wrong, i like trout
but you are probably killing/ stressing A LOT more fish that you know after June
but what the hell... it is put and take    right???

if you want to fish summer trout... find spring creeks/ limestoners or bottom release tailwaters
BASS ACKWARDS
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 118
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/12 12:48:46 (permalink)
Apparently you have not read the entire post? That's what I am trying to avoid, killing fish! I'm happy that there are good people out there that that are willing to give me an honest opinion and helping to teach me. I'm not a genius like you and don't know everything, so I typically ask questions. Unfortunately, with my limited trout experience, did not know the stress that trout endure over the summer months. Some people have been nice enough to help me understand this so I can do my part to help conserve. I appreciate their help.  I have never belong to a forum that has so many people, that know everything, and try to bash someone asking an honest question. Thankfully, not everyone is that way.
BASS ACKWARDS
Avid Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/12 12:52:23 (permalink)
Sorry man - bad day at the office ! Didn't mean to snap. I expect this on the "Erie" forum from people, but usually I ahve had good luck on this one. Were all trying to do the same thing - catch fish.
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/12 13:02:22 (permalink)
maybe the tone came off wrong...
i was merely suggesting the idea of exploring other species that may be more rewarding in summer months

the P and T for are put there to be taken... your stamp costs the same as mine... do as you please

your geographic location does not lend itself well to summer trout

think carp, bass, musky

BASS ACKWARDS
Avid Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/12 13:21:06 (permalink)
No offense taken. I'm a normal C/R fishermen. I have kept a walleye, gill or perch now and again - but that's it. I apologize for coming off strong, not normally my style. I do chase a lot of bass, pike, musky all year around but this little species for some reason fascinates me. I would have to agree though, maybe taking my fly rod out to French creek for a few tries would be a good idea. It's kind of like Musky, until I caught my first one, I was obsessed with catching one. Now I'm addicted! LOL. I am more or less looking to learn more about trout and honestly my time spent in the creek right now is scouting (now that I know more). I would just like to find a place, or species, that can get me out o the house in the winter and still have a good shot at catching fish. I can go up to Erie and catch steelhead, but it just don't excite me much anymore. I like seclusion and peacefulness and don't want to have to yell "fish on" every time I hook up. Look at it this way guy's, since I don't steelhead much, that's one less person on the creeks you all fish in the winter. I think I'll stick to bassin' until the water temps go down. Thanks KJH - and good to meet ya !

D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/12 13:24:44 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: BASS ACKWARDS
 I would have to agree though, maybe taking my fly rod out to French creek for a few tries would be a good idea.

You bet it's a good idea.  French Creek is some real nice bas swater for a fly rod.

A month from now, when the streams cool down, trout fishing will be good until next June.  Winter trout fishing can be excellent.
MackJ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 522
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/12 17:16:49 (permalink)
Trout can live in water up to about 76 degrees a bit less for brookies, but only a degree or so.  This is not a daily peak temperature, but a sustained temperature.  However, it is true that they become weaker as the sustained temperatures increase above 70 degrees.  When they are under such thermal stress, they will seek refuge in deep pools, spring seeps, tributary mouths or even in the smaller cold-water tributaries.  They also become susceptible to disease while under stress.  Many, if not all hatchery-raised fish struggle in the put and take streams to stay healthy even in the cooler-water of the Spring and early Summer, particularly because the forage base in your typical approved trout stream is weak.  In a fertile stream, they can, and often do, hold over the warm water periods if they managed to be healthy and the temps don't get too high.
post edited by MackJ - 2008/09/12 17:23:31
flyfishermanPA
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1495
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/12 17:25:22 (permalink)
Bass, I know what you mean sometimes the fishings off. Seeing that you put this poste in NorthWestern Pennsylvania you still have a lot of good water in the counties around you. Go on the Fish & Boats website and look for fall stockings of your county, AND the sorrounding ones. Winter fishing is difficult with the wind but when you apply weights they help your casting, some what, and help you get that nymph deeper in depth. Also explore. People normally stay around the access point of the stream but hike around, trout can be found in some pretty odd places. Like I said if you need some starting places PM me, I'd be glad to help. Most of the streams/creeks/rivers are no big secret.
flyfishermanPA
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/12 17:35:25 (permalink)
Believe it or not a 7 foot is an ideal small stream rod! Fall is truly a magnificient time to fish as well! I'm assuming your big on small streams but lakes can be awesome to fish.. Actually caught my first trout on a fly rod at a lake, also a nice 18 incher . I am by no means a truly knowledgable fly fisherman, I use generic patterns because I fish creeks with poor water quality and so on down the line. Trout (most) are pellet heads and don't truly adjust to the waters aquatic insects for up to a week! Plan some trips around the fall stocking and catch some fish on egg patterns. Take tips from people and read books, I know I like to rather do it then read about it but easy reading novels, authors like John Gierach, are great for further understanding what the trout eats.. good luck!
Bibby
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/13 21:08:14 (permalink)
I am learning as well. 

At first I wanted to catch a fish on a fly, then I wanted to catch many fish on a fly, then catch a big fish on a fly.  Now I want to help the fish.  I started to fish for smallmouth with a fly rod in late July through August.  Pretty cool.  I wish someone would have suggested to me to fish for smallmouth when your learning with a fly rod. Not as pickey with your presentations.  Northwest PA has great smallmouth waters.   Good luck.  
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/13 22:06:56 (permalink)
If you guys ever make it down to the SW hit me with a PM...
flyfishermanPA
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/13 23:24:49 (permalink)
Bibby, I agree. Most of the trout action around here dies off around July, and bass is great to fish for.
BrookTrout26
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 203
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/15 16:20:40 (permalink)
Here's something to try if you wanna catch some really nice trout right about this time of year...find any of the larger stocked tribs. Oil, Tionesta, Allgheny riv.  and fish any feeder stream that flows in. You will catch fish. 
flyfishermanPA
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/16 16:02:42 (permalink)
Yeah that is true.. Though I've found great feeder streams that have no fish, meaning great depth, temperature wise.
post edited by flyfishermanPA - 2008/09/16 16:10:28
flyfishermanPA
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/16 16:20:14 (permalink)
Here's acouple pictures of an ideal creek with a great feeder creek.. Sorry for how it looks, someone must of fooled with the color .

KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/16 20:13:12 (permalink)
pretty sure i've done that...

get any out of the feeder?
funny thing... the only thing i have landed in it are bluegill
hooked a really nice brown once, it didn't last long
BrookTrout26
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 203
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/17 14:45:47 (permalink)
Yeah the warmer water in these feeder streams def. play a part in what species of fish it will hold. These feeders streams hold some of the largest trout I have seen. Many of them breeders, I strongly recommend catch and release and using barbless hooks if you plan on using bait. Some of these streams up north that I have fished in the fall were so small you could could jump across. The fish are there, it just requires a lot of walking since the creeks are so low this time of year. Most of these streams I've caught fish in typically hold fish in the very first deep hole up in from the mouth, before feeding into a larger stocked stream.

Good luck to all the Steelheaders and fall fisherman out there, this is the most beautiful time of year to fish imho. Enjoy!

Ronnie
flyfishermanPA
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/17 16:22:38 (permalink)
Sometimes but the depth can be really deceiving.. Normally I fish it at the mouth and if it couldn't hold fish I go farther upstream. Really if it's a feeder stream that holds fish it should be some what far away from the access points. Hiking 4 miles upstream and finding a nice feeder stream isn't uncommon. Though stocked fish will only go so far upstream.
flyfishermanPA
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/17 16:40:45 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: KJH807

pretty sure i've done that...

get any out of the feeder?
funny thing... the only thing i have landed in it are bluegill
hooked a really nice brown once, it didn't last long

Some, but a lot of people have caught on by caughting some and they have been hit hard around where I live. I guess that means more walking . There's some what of a debate with acouple of anglers I know. Really it's about how stocked fish are swimming up stream to small native streams and taking all of the food sources. What are you going to do... Also it's hard to tell apart from a fall native and stocked, in my opinion. So if you're all about killing the stocked fish I'd look twice.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/17 17:02:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: flyfishermanPA

Also it's hard to tell apart from a fall native and stocked, in my opinion.

Stocked fish have a fin clipped, wild ones do not.

Pretty simple.
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/17 17:05:20 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: flyfishermanPA

Some, but a lot of people have caught on by caughting some and they have been hit hard around where I live. I guess that means more walking . There's some what of a debate with acouple of anglers I know. Really it's about how stocked fish are swimming up stream to small native streams and taking all of the food sources. What are you going to do... Also it's hard to tell apart from a fall native and stocked, in my opinion. So if you're all about killing the stocked fish I'd look twice.

dude that was almost impossible to read...
i think i got the jist

that steam shouldn't have many (if any) stockers in it (if its the one i'm thinking)
first hundred yrds are steep and it has wild coldwater classifications for browns
(both by the state and some private group starting just in the last 4 yrs)
so if isn't a brown... its a stocker

PFBC loves stocking fish over wild and native populations... (i started a thread on it a few months ago on the erie board after a Post Gazette article)
in a survey most people said they wanted more fish and didn't care if they were stocked in areas with natural repro
its a reality in most of PA... stocked trout will win out over native and wild fish when they exist in the same waterway

everyone is too concerned about catching 15 trout a day from april to June
and the PFCB makes just as much selling a stamp to all the guys who only fish the first 3 weekends of trout as they do to the guy who fishes year round and has to deal with this mess
Penn. Kev
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/17 18:30:17 (permalink)

That is simply not true. While many stocked fish have badly damaged fins, the PAFBC does not clip fins as a stantard practice. The only times I've heard of this being done is when fish need to be marked to study movement, populations, year classes etc.

A held-over brown will often look nearly identical to a wild fish if it does not have badly damaged fins.

As for that little stream in the pictures, I recognized it instantly. I can testify that it indeed does have a respectable amount of wild browns in it, along with the somewhat out of place sunfish. Also, as mentioned above, a stocked fish would have a difficult time moving far upstream due to many small falls. It is actually amazing that the wild fish are so widely distributed in this creek. However, I must add that I've seen 10-12" trout nearly clear the dam on the Neshannock DHALO area in normal flows so I wouldn't say it is impossible.

Kev
flyfishermanPA
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/17 18:36:06 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: D-nymph

Pretty simple.

Yes it is. The only reason I said it was one time opening day I fished a small creek flowing out of a pond that is annually stocked with Brook. Well, on one hole I caught about a 12 inch brook that wasn't clipped. It did hold native trout about 30 years ago, until they restructured the dam and after around June the creek is only about 3 inches at the highest. Kept it on a stringer asking other fisherman what they thought and most said stocked, though the fin wasn't clipped.

I shouldn't of said it's hard, I've only had that problem 3-4 times near Schuykill county... And all the times that lake/creek was stocked by the same guys.
flyfishermanPA
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/17 18:40:38 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Penn. Kev

As for that little stream in the pictures, I recognized it instantly.
Kev

Just to let you guys know I've had acouple of people ask me which creek this was, thinking they knew it and they didn't. If it's in the general area of Butler County then that's the one in the picture

Ok.. so Penn. Kev does know where it is.
post edited by flyfishermanPA - 2008/09/17 18:43:03
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/17 19:01:43 (permalink)
edit that $hit in the above post...
flyfishermanPA
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/17 19:04:43 (permalink)
..Why?
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/17 19:08:14 (permalink)
joke

forgot the
MackJ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 522
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/18 11:54:48 (permalink)
Very few good wild trout stream sections are stocked in the section with good wild populations.  This is a myth often repeated but not true.  Many streams with trace reproduction are stocked, and if they weren't nobody would bother with them because the wild populations are small and so are the fish.
KJH807
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/18 15:05:22 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: MackJ

Very few good wild trout stream sections are stocked in the section with good wild populations.  This is a myth often repeated but not true.  Many streams with trace reproduction are stocked, and if they weren't nobody would bother with them because the wild populations are small and so are the fish.

what is "very few"...
have you done the research???
crosschecked the list of approved trout water with streams that support wild trout populations
it might surprise you

the fact that it is done is bad enough...
so if there is a small population of smaller size fish, you think it is OK to stock over them and push them out?  just so people will "bother to fish them"?

remember this article?
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08195/896725-358.stm

D-nymph
Pro Angler
RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/18 15:53:12 (permalink)
From the article:

Anglers drove an average of 44 miles to get to a fishery. Their favorite places to fish were Yellow Breeches Creek, Allegheny River, Bobs Creek, Little Pine Creek and Kettle Creek. All are heavily stocked. Anglers put a high premium on public access to trout waters, and said they'd fish more often if there was better access.

That's a somewhat surprising list to me.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: