Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
BASS ACKWARDS
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 118
  • Reward points: 0
2008/09/10 07:45:24 (permalink)

Trout die off ?????

Hit a couple of streams last night to try my luck at some trout. Caught everything but a trout ! Man, I hate trout ! Caught shiners (6-7"), creek chubs (5-7"), smallies  , walleye (1 @ 9") , perch (4-5") , rock bass(6") and the smallest bowfin I have ever caught (8"). My question is - Do most small "stocked" creeks experience a die off in the summer? Water temp in the first stream was 71 degrees and the second creek was 67 degrees. I do know that they have been in the upper 70's this year as well - also 'Gin clear" water. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast - But everywhere I casted I caught something other than a trout - had one decent fish on , but got off before I could see it (I assume a smallie). I must have caught 50 fish last night, all small, but on my micro lite with 2 LB test it was challenging. I tried stone nymphs, woolie buggers, streamers and small in-line spinners. Stone nymphs took the most fish. Do I need to move to a better, and colder, stream ? I thought for sure Little Sugar would have some holdovers ? Any advice ? I'm not looking for big numbers or huge fish, just love to wade down a small creek and take in the tranquility. I'm not even looking for a specific spot or stream, just wondering where to find them ?  

83 Replies Related Threads

Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/10 08:28:06 (permalink)
    Wait a few weeks and they will announce the fall stocking.
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/10 08:43:54 (permalink)
    Sounds to me like your fishing a warm water stream. If you looking for trout try the head waters or streams where cold springs enter. The trout will head for the cooler water if possible. Believe it or not those trout will move out if things are not to their liking. As an old time WCO said once the first thing those fish learn to do when their born is learn to swim. Also just because you didn't catch any doesn't mean they aren't there. The longer they are in the stream the smarter they get. They didn't surive this long by being dumb.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/10 08:47:55 (permalink)
    Bass,
        You might want to try a different stream.   But a good rule of thumb is:  If there were trout in there in the spring, there should be some there in the fall.  But you have to try the deeper (read cooler) holes, and any place where there is a small cold feeder stream/spring feeding the creek.  The fish will move to these cooler spots when the temps get warmer.  Also, trout really slow down in the heat so you'll probably almost have to smack them with your lure to get them to move; if you can find them.  I once found a spring fed hole on a certain central PA stream that was way warm and I found the spring by stepping into it (cool water on my waders)  when I tried the hole below the cool water the fish were very active.  Also try fishing the shady, overhung areas/undercut banks and broken water.  Hope this helps.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    BASS ACKWARDS
    Avid Angler
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/10 09:22:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice. I do know there are still trout in little sugar, saw a guy with one on a stringer. I carry a thermometer with me and typically pass up shallow holes. Have you ever been fishing a nice hole, and every cast just catch little creek chub or smallies ? Does catching these fish , if there are trout in that hole, clue them into someone being there ? It's not like I can't go out after a good stocking and catch trout, it's the elusiveness of the trout long after a stocking that keeps me going. My ol' lady keeps saying " why do you want to catch stupid little trout anyway". ? My answer is "because I can't catch them". Every time I go out into a small stream, no matter what I catch, I always learn something. I try to apply these tips to catching more fish anywhere. The mystery of where the fish go is appealing to me, and I know once I figure it out, it will help me in all seasons. For spinning equipment, what would be a good lure choice in warmer weather ?   
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/10 10:55:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: BASS ACKWARDS

I do know there are still trout in little sugar, saw a guy with one on a stringer.

this statement sums it up... you are fishing put and take fisheries
    the state puts them in... people take them (usually before June)

wait for fall stockings OR find a special Reg stream OR fish a waterway that supports a wild population
    BASS ACKWARDS
    Avid Angler
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/10 11:12:51 (permalink)
    I hear you KJH. I would love to find a small native trout stream around, but really don't know of any ? I am in the Meadville area and don't want to drive an hour or more to get to one (unless it would be on a weekend). I would love to find one that takes a good couple mile hike to get to, and is secluded. Like I said earlier, I'm not looking for big fish in particular, just nice colorful fish. If anyone cares to share a spot or even a general stream to try, please feel free to PM me. I don't like the taste of trout and have only ever kept them if they were going to die. I have walked to some very remote parts of many streams, just to find no trout. Of course technique might be the problem........
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/10 15:17:43 (permalink)
    Bass,
         From looking at the map you should have quite a few good trout streams close to you.  Try to find a dam with a steady low/deep discharge and fish the tailwaters.  Try the head waters of the Oil Creek above Titusville.  Heck fish right behind Drakes well in Titusville.  Look for spring seeps along the creek you normally fish.  Spring water usually runs right about 54 degrees.  It warms the creeks in the winter and cools them in the summer.  Good luck.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/10 16:34:57 (permalink)
    Yeah they die quickly after June. The truth is they really don't adjust to the water and pretty much die off, one reason natives are great year round. This time of the year you're better off just waiting for the fall stocking and you'll probably catch some fish. But if you want to catch some fish the general principal is find where the oxygen is coming in, meaning the riffles. Also brings in food sources. Not sure about the creeks you fish but that's always an indication on where they are in the Summer. I also saw what flies you're using, maybe try smaller flies. Copper Johns would be a great way to start out on any stream size 12-18. Considering the small fish I helped stock last Spring not sure if they'd be going after size 10's and lower. Good Luck!
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/10 17:12:26 (permalink)
    I think the Oil has a pretty good population of trout all year long, doesn't it?
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/10 19:38:43 (permalink)
    You know I have only fished Oil Creek twice, both times in Spring. But from what I saw it looked like a pretty nice creek. It all depends on holdover population & water conditions really. Not to mention I like to go by the rule if you catch them over July 15 I let them go, just because they'll probably live the rest of the summer then spawn and everyone wins. On MOST creeks stocked you will catch fish in the Summer, it's just a matter of finding the holes with the most available resources to the fish.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/10 20:30:38 (permalink)
    A friend and i have twice in the past 2 weeks fished a stream in s.w. Pa.(not the yough) to practice with our centerpins. We originally thought we might catch some rock bass, smallmouth and chubs.  Both days we have been there fish were jumping like crazy and we tried pieces of crawlers.

The first day my friend caught an estimated 12 and i caught about 8 rainbow, brown and brook trout out of one long hole maybe 15 yards long. The second trip action was a little slower but for august trout fishing it was great. After the sun came up at assorted times i could see 8 to 10 trout swimming as a group. I would estimate there were 20 to 30 trout there and i'm sure it hadn't been stocked recently.

If the fish can find cool enough water apparently they can survive quite well even with the weather as dry and hot as it has been here recently.
    post edited by davef - 2008/09/10 20:31:25
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/10 20:35:37 (permalink)
    Wow, nice catch davef. Can't think of many streams with brooks/browns in southwestern Pennsylvania, about 2. It's always nice to find streams tucked away from everything else that carry some decent fish
    GadaboutGaddus
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/10 20:36:44 (permalink)
    Bass Ackwards, I'll give you what I know about trout fishing in the summer months. I agrre with many of the replies from above that you must find the cooler water. Warmer water does not carry as much oxygen as does cooler water. Try to fish any streams you know of that have springs coming into them. Trout will travel long distances to find water that they are comfortable in! Up to 125 miles in some cases according to the fish commission. I fished a stream this year in the middle of July that was fed by a bottom release out of a dam. Guess what, we hooked up a lot of fish in three days of trout fishing. All the fish we caught were active and in really good shape. Day time temps were around 90. Water temp never got above 60. But you must use caution when fishing in the summer! I used to travel a lot to Potter County to fish for brook and brown natives in the summer. Sometimes the water was close to 70 degrees in some of the streams I fished! These fish are fragile to begin with. I was doing more harm then good. I was having fun catching these little natives(4" to 7") but was I killing some of them in the process? When I thought about it this way I discontinued the practice of fishing for trout in the summer. I will only do it if the water is 60 or below in temp. So now in the summer I fish for smallies which is a blast! I mainly fish for trout in the spring and the fall. I hope this helps you a little. Good luck!

May your fly rod always be bent!
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/10 20:41:34 (permalink)
    GadaboutGaddus, I couldn't agree more with you. Finding where a spring comes into creeks, and even lakes are definately a great place to fish. And I know what you mean by when the fish pretty much die in the process of the fight, it happens. It's better to just take him, because he'll either be yours or the coyotes. It's a shame.
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/10 20:43:23 (permalink)
    And if you think about it we all kill fish yet not knowing. I think we don't understand what stress the fish recieves though we clearly see it dart away into the clear water. Sometimes it's just best to keep them.
    BASS ACKWARDS
    Avid Angler
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/11 06:49:21 (permalink)
    WOW, I have never really thought about the stress catching trout in summer causes ? I do want to catch trout all year long, but being a part of ruining that pastime is not something I want to do. I really enjoy it too much. It's always nice to get the opinions of others, and hey, I even learned something. I love "catching" , but not as much as I enjoy fishing. It sounds like trout have a lot going against them, and I would hate to be part of that. Maybe I will spend the summer month scouting out new spots, and like I said, I catch lot's of fish in theses streams all summer long - just not what I have intended to catch. If I do happen to tie into one, I hope it can be released safely and help to improve the great fishery I call home -

Thanks guys.
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/11 15:42:40 (permalink)
    Well said. The perfect example of stress is the mighty bull trout. Put on North American's endanged list mostly because of fishing stress as well as earlier attacks on the population (people used to throw bull trout on the shores because they ate cutthroat. After awhile they figured out that bull trout managed the population pretty well..). And really with stock fish what are you gonna do? The fish Com. rather keep stocking truck loads of fish rather than looking into nature reproduction, and a save a fair amount of money.
    post edited by flyfishermanPA - 2008/09/11 15:43:07
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/11 15:43:33 (permalink)
    Although I am a sucker for stocked Rainbows & Brookies ...
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/11 18:30:43 (permalink)
    I fished the same spot this morning for a couple of hours. Caught 3 rainbows and one brown. I'm not sure where the brookies have came from but maybe a sportsmans club stocked some this spring. I would think the water was to warm for them to be there. All 3 mornings i have seen a nice size brown that might be 17 to 18 inchs long but he has been to smart for me.

Today there was no sun and i really couldn't see a lot of fish today but i assume there are still quite a few there. Also caught a lot of 4 to 5 inch smallmouths and smaller rock bass.

Hopefully its soon time to head north for steelies now that i got some practice in.
    carcus1211
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/11 19:54:45 (permalink)
    the truth is Bass....when the fish see you wading downt the creek with that little cigar in your mouth, they run and tell their friends for a laugh...lmao....
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/11 20:42:01 (permalink)
    I have only seen one or two stream anglers in my day with little cigars in their mouths.  One used to be a wrestling coach and the other one that was with him was a teacher at the same school he coached.  Am I getting close there new member Carcus?????
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/11 20:54:39 (permalink)
    Thats funny, I once saw a man with a cigar in his mouth and this mountain ranger or whatever came up to him and said "Act like I didn't see you" (this lake was private to the water guys only..) and then he said "Secondly put that ******** cigar out, Wouldn't want you to burn down the mountain, would we?" Very funny at the time..
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/11 21:08:25 (permalink)
    Reading your question over, Bass Ackwards, I'd also invest into some insulated waders, gloves, and sweatshirts. Winter is one my favorite times to stream fish. Most of the crowds die off and good nymph technique can almost guarentee you a fish here and there. Try pheasent tail nymphs, and any sub surface patterns. You'll see what I mean after awhile, alot of people leave for Erie and good selections of water are there undisturbed even on Saturdays. If you're still having problems finding fish let me know. I'd love to get you into some really nice stocked fish, or natives. I live in Butler, if that means anything, and I mostly fish the surrounding counties. Good Luck!
    BASS ACKWARDS
    Avid Angler
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/12 06:34:45 (permalink)
    Fly,
      Got insulated waders, gloves and all the cold weather gear needed. I did a fair amount of small stream trout fishing last winter, with little success.I think most comes down to location and technique, and not spooking the fish. Didn't really get into it until late December. I remember one morning, it was like 17 degrees out with a nasty north wind, and I went to let the Ol' Lady know that I was going to go fishing. You should have seen the look on her face and the words that came out of her mouth- "are you fuc##ng crazy, it's below zero out there". She has to this day never questioned when I wanted to go fishing. I would love to find some new spots that hold trout all winter. Days like that make you appreciate nature and give you satisfaction just to catching 1 fish. What's more beautiful than a fresh blanket of snow on a PA hillside. I caught a bunch of pellet heads in spring and early summer with powerbait, but it really was not any fun. All the fish were around 7-9" and all rainbow. I also have a 7' 6" fly rod, but unless i'm in open water I really can't use it. It's just something I will have to work on this winter. Might be easier once the leaves fall ???? I took it out for the last time 2 years ago and ended up tangled in every tree - then I hooked some guy's waders and he was none to happy. SOB,SOB,SOB  - that's all I heard for about 10 minutes. And yes, I did have a cigar hanging out of my mouth. always do. It's like my lucky charm. Maybe that's why Carcus never catches any fish - HEY CARCUS, WANT A CIGAR ? Just don't pull a Clinton..........  
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/12 07:46:40 (permalink)
    Trout need water temperature below 55 degrees, when water warms they will seek cooler water - if they can't find it - they will die!
    BASS ACKWARDS
    Avid Angler
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/12 08:06:48 (permalink)
    I'm not sure about that ? I caught early summer pelletheads in 60+ degree water temps (surface temps). Not much above that though, and have had no luck in the high 60's. I have no doubt that warmer water kills them off - I'm just a little confused on the whole issue ? I understand that the water will be a little cooler in the deeper holes, but any trout I have ever caught came from the tailway of ripples or faster currents with breaks. So now I'm in a habit of probably passing up good water. Wouldn't the water in a faster current be cooler than a slow moving deep hole ? I appreciate everyones help and advice, for some reason this fascinates me !
    carcus1211
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/12 09:49:52 (permalink)
    No thank Bass...you know i'm trying to watch my figure.... and so what that you catch more and the biggest fish than me when we go out.... i'm still new this that adventurous sport.  This is only my 4th year and you've fished for as long as i've been alive.  So how's this weekend look?

LoveGlove United
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/12 11:02:18 (permalink)
    The ideal temperature for trout is 54 deg. to 64 deg. Brook trout cannot tolerate temps. over 65 deg. , browns can tolerate temps. up to 70 deg. and rainbows can tolerate temps. 70 deg. . But at these higher temperatures they start looking for water more in their comfort range, and they will move. The only thing that will stop them are barriers acrossed the stream.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    BASS ACKWARDS
    Avid Angler
    RE: Trout die off ????? 2008/09/12 11:57:54 (permalink)
    Yo Go,
     I have been able to find 60 degree water, it's sparse, but I can find it. I think that I might let the water cool down a bit before my next adventure - Maybe this rain and cool nights will help out. I think I'm going to follow Fly's advice as well and try not to harm the fish by stressing them out in warmer water. I think I'll spend the rainy weekend scouting out spots and finding where the cooler water might be. I can't say that I know of any cold water springs flowing into it, but then again, I might just need to figure out what I'm looking for. Do they make a thermometer that gives you temps in the lower parts of the water column or just surface temp (like the one I have) ? What would be a good fly rod set-up for a really tight narrow stream ? I want to eventually be able to control one without as many hassles. Any set-up recommendations ?
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: