SomethingFishy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/09/04 12:55:40 (permalink)
I fail to see the credibility in that article.  He is obviously no expert on water quality or pollution for that matter.  Just because water is murky does not mean it is not clean, a reference he makes bunches of times in the article.  While he may be on to something, he really could use some credible contributers and some finite data for his next article. 
post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2008/09/04 13:08:55
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2984
RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/09/04 18:06:11 (permalink)
ST-Fishy, Thanks for posting.
One thing for sure, That was the muddiest I've ever seen the water at the dam in the last 18 years. The turnover the forest service talks about usually turns the water murky green. The last time I saw muddy water that far down the lake was Hurricane Agnes in the 70's and I don't believe it was even that muddy.

Those other two articles on that site were interesting, as well.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/STONEMANGUITARS/roads.html

http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/STONEMANGUITARS/stepitup.html

post edited by dano - 2008/09/04 18:09:47

Gone Fishing
chrisrowboat
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 688
RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/09/05 19:28:06 (permalink)
Nice page:) lots of info.
Let's hope things will change in ANF but with domestic Oil high on both parties agenda sadly we may lose even more. :(
Chris
Kinzuakitty
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/09/06 07:29:29 (permalink)
It is all about politics and greed.  The drilling in the ANF has no impact on the price at the pump. The oil is not used for gasoline but for lubricants. Most of the wells in the ANF produce very little. In fact some of the wells are simply for tax write offs. Oil field workers will tell you...when there is no one around that the wells may produce 2 barrells on a good day. The oil companies are subsidized to drill for domestic oil and then when there is a loss they use it as a tax write off. Some of the wells near my house that have obliterated the National Scenic Byway have not pumped in a year. It is time the average tax paying citizens and surface owners of the ANF contact their legislators and remind them WE HAVE RIGHTS TOO!!
SomethingFishy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Kinzua Creek 2008/09/30 13:47:27 (permalink)
Today is the Tuesday after the 15th Annual Allegheny Defense Projects Fall Gathering. This year it was held in what I call "the old CCC/Prisoner of War Camp" where Mead Run runs into Kinzua Creek. In the Red Bridge area of the ANF.

During the afternoon on Saturday, some of the group hiked a half mile section of Kinzua Creek. A friend of mine turned me on to this webstie and this discussion thread about the Kinzua Creek.

I was dismayed by several posts that talked about Kinzua Creek being "dead". I heard locals talk about it being "dead and gray". I thought we needed to witness this for ourselves.

While scouting for a campsite a few weeks before, Bill B. and myself did go down to a secluded part of the creek to check it out, and we did find it to be "dead", that is, there was no obvious signs of aquatic life.

Now for MY personal experience. My personal eye-witness observations as a lifelong outdoorsman who has in the past been an avid fisherman, "specializing" in native trout. I led a group who walked a half mile of Kinzua Creek Saturday Sept 27th. We walked a section starting where Mead Run enters the main branch and walked the shoreline upstream (easterly) for about a half mile.

I was with members of the Allegheny Defense Project (all seasoned outdoors people) including Cathy, Ron, Jim, Tom, along with Maddox my grandson and Sadie the dog.

What we observed was incredible! Somebody called Kinzua Creek "dead and gray" and THAT is exactly what it is! There is an ominous "gray" tint to the water or the sediment on the bottom. We seen absolutely NO wildlife or plant life in the creek at all! It was quite astonishing! No plants, bugs, fish, minnows, salamanders, crayfish, frogs, tadpoles, or anything living for that matter. It was devoid of any forms of life! We were all quite surprised by the lack of any identifiable life forms.

There was an obvious "oil film" on and along the shore line. Some orange color (some can be organic) with other pools of yellow orange crude oil deposits and some obvious oil film cover in still pools or pools isolated from the main stream along the side (captivated when the water level dropped).

My best guess as to the cause? First, like some of the above comments from frequent fisherman indicate, there may have been one, a few or even several "oil spills" into the creek or one or many of it's tributaries. Second, the land immediately north of the north bank of the Kinzua Creek from the Mead Run input, east to Westline (Thundershower Run), is a private in-holding that is very intensively drilled for oil and gas. I'm even wondering that since there are so many roads and well sites very near the Kinzua Creek and tributaries, that "they" or "somebody" might be "sneaking" brine water into the creek. It seems to be what the "tell tale" gray sediment on the bottom or in the water is indicating. It looks to me (admitandtly a non-expert) to be "brine" or the **** (stuff) that is left after fracking a well.

But perhaps Tony Scardina from the Bradford Ranger District can tell us what the "gray stuff" is in the water, and why there is no life forms in Kinzua Creek.

Why is Kinzua Creek dead, and why did they let that happen? Who killed Kinzua Creek? And what will be done about it?
post edited by SomethingFishy - 2008/09/30 13:49:16
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: